Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Funny Men Cannot Be Trusted - Book Review - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Funny Men Cannot Be Trusted - Book Review (864 Views)

Trusted: Premium Grammarly Available / Book Review: The Smart Money Woman By Arese Ugwu / Book Review: "The Builder Never Stops" - Nelson Igwe Uko (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Funny Men Cannot Be Trusted - Book Review by Debbietiyan(f): 11:27am On Mar 04, 2018
By Tolu Akinyemi

Copyright © 2017 by Tolu Akinyemi

Published by Heart of Words UK

ISBN: 978-978-54834-0-6

Paperback

186 Pages.

In all my book reading years, I haven’t minced-read like I did whilst reading this book. One of the thoughts I had before buying this book was: “How would I review a poetry book when I don’t even know enough on the subject to inspire an astute opinion of it?” But it turns out I needn’t have worried about that.

Poetolu really brought in down to what I’ll call the average, or maybe non-poetry enthusiasts level. Little wonder his term: Poetry for those who hate poetry.

Telling relatable, and even if not, quite understandable stories through his poems, Funny Men Cannot Be Trusted sprinkles some sort of nostalgia in the mind of the readers.

The featured poems, ranges through diverse topics and touches various aspects of major the Nigerian life; from friendship, to love, to family, to loss, to heart break, to heartache, to fun, and to downright silly.

Some things however piqued my curiosity, and this part is just me being nosey. If I ever would meet him, or when I do get to feature him on this blog (Did I hear an Amen? Bless you Brother!) I’d really want to know what emotional ties he had with Folakemi, even though the disclaimer in the title relegated all characters to being a result of fiction, and those inspired by real people was stated in the foot notes of the appearing poem.

That’s not the only question I’d ask though: “Pray, what significance does the number 53,105 hold for you, gracious Mister?”

P.S That’s me asking him in my best imitation of an 18th century lady’s voice.

The number, if my count is correct, appeared four times in the book (four out of a 188 poems).

And don’t tell me that’s an ignorable number. Don’t.

It appeared wholly in Comforter, Wasted Time and A cold dark night, but was divided (24,044 & 28,061) in Lota’s Prophecy.

And finally, I’m going to reference a poem here, dedicated to my friends, because soon I’m going to a published writer (*Standing ovation) and I’d like you all to identify yourselves, just so I’ll known in time.

If you write A book

there are two groups

to buy of your book;

they are either strangers

or your precious friends

I’d grab the whole poem, but I wouldn’t want to get me in some copyright trouble.

So tell me guys, how many of you have read this, and if you have, which are your favorite poems of the lot?

Source

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Get Stunning Book Cover At Affordable Price / See What This Talented Biro Artist Drew With Biro � / ₦Ɇ₩ ₴₮ØⱤɎ ❣❣❣ AYANA ❣❣ JESSICA DURU {Jxt a short story}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.