Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,718 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (255) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (286661 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by PurpLChi: 12:20pm On Apr 16, 2022
luizpippo:
Purple.

Where is last night smack down updates? grin cheesy grin

Coming right up bro grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 12:37pm On Apr 16, 2022
This sperm Burt deleted my recap and banned me for some reason angry
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 1:00pm On Apr 16, 2022
angry

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 4:34pm On Apr 19, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Mystery Meat
Seth Rollins set off Raw this week pulling the card we figured he had at the top of his deck: He wasn’t ready for Cody Rhodes at WrestleMania. Cody knew his opponent but Seth didn’t know his, therefore Cody had a competitive advantage. While Seth is a crazy villain, he’s also correct. Cody doesn’t think any of that makes a difference but he’s ready to see Seth at WrestleMania Backlash regardless.
The opening promo battle between the two meandered a bit for my taste. The ultimate point of their back and forth about the Rhodes family, Cody’s last six years, their Mania match, and their upcoming match, was Seth challenging Cody to take on an opponent of Seth’s choosing. Cody didn’t come back to WWE to duck or dodge challenges, so of course he accepted.
For anyone questioning if Cody is Raw’s number one good guy, this promo, along with the crowd’s response to the American Nightmare, answers your question pretty emphatically.
Our main event saw Cody wrestle Kevin Owens, Seth’s best friend. KO came to the ring, already filled with frustration over this Ezekiel nonsense, but more on that later.
KO and Cody started the match actually wrestling. This eventually devolved into a slugfest and KO taking control after hurting Cody’s back. KO worked that back a majority of the match. Backbreakers, suplexes, powerbombs, and anything else he thought of to cripple Rhodes.
The second act saw Cody shake off that pain and withstand the punishment. Kevin tried everything to keep the American Nightmare down, but to no avail. Cody blocked the Pop up Powerbomb with a Frankensteiner, and when the match went to the outside, that’s when trouble struck.
Seth Rollins sensed his plan fraying at the seams, so he made his way to ringside to ensure it didn’t. Eventually, that backfired on Seth. After Cody survived a massive Frog Splash, thanks to his foot on the bottom rope, KO went to pull out his very last drop. Now, the outside factor here was Seth, who vocally cheered on his pal while also questioning why Cody kept surviving.
While not blaming it on KO directly, he did have slight shade for his supposed best friend. I don't know about you, but I don’t tell my best friend to “figure it out” while trying to conquer a seemingly impossible task. But, to be fair, I’m not a psycho.
KO thought he figured it out. A powerbomb to the ring apron probably finishes off Cody. Instead, Cody countered with a back body drop that put Owens on the outside of the ring. While the ref issued his count, Seth but his nose in again, this time telling his best friend to “get his fat ass up.” Well, that was that for Kevin, who walked out but not before telling Seth “this is your match. I don’t need this!”
Cody walked away with the W in a messy and unsatisfying finish. Seth, seemingly as frustrated as the rest of us, attacked Cody from behind as Raw went off the air.
Meh. I wanted an actual finish here and as of now, this story between both men isn’t anything special. Maybe it will get there, but the next premium live event isn’t far away.

Remember Me?
You know what I love about Edge? Everything he does now incorporates his own continuity. WWE isn’t exactly known for remembering its past storylines, but it always makes me grin when at least one wrestler superstar remembers not just what happened last week, but what happened several weeks ago.
While the initial reveal that Damian Priest can do spooky ish during his match with AJ Styles was lackluster, Edge’s promo damn near saved it in retrospect. Plain and simple, Edge is capable of such mind games because he’s the same guy who ran with The Brood and The Ministry of Darkness. How he can pass those powers to Damian wasn’t a part of his promo, but I let it slide because Edge did the work.
Of course Edge can do those types of mind games. He did them for years as part of two horror-inspired factions. Edge used our disbelief and displeasure with last week as fuel to comment on the audience’s terrible attention span.
It’s that same fickleness—shoutout to BD—that Edge saw as fans wanted him back for years only to complain when he finally showed up. He’s here too much, he’s not here enough. He wrestles every week or he’s a part-timer.
Edge said kill all that noise and decided to do him. While stating the purpose of the group, again, wasn’t necessary it made sense considering Edge taking us on a trip down memory lane.
To put an exclamation point on this story, Edge and Priest used more spooky ish to attack AJ in the locker room and enact severe punishment on Styles’ left arm.
This is my favorite thing on Raw right now and it’s all because Edge isn’t insulting anyone’s intelligence.

The Rest
WHO WANTS TO HEAR ZEKE SPEAK?
Chad Gable? And Kevin Owens? In a segment? Gold. This entire lie detector segment was incredible from start to finish.
KO hired Chad to administer the lie detector test, paid him in Canadian dollars, and the two made magic.
Elias was there too. And yes, despite what the lie detector test said, I’m still calling him Elias. Anyway, Elias/Ezekiel played straight man, answering the yes and no questions and proving that yes, he is Ezekiel. I loved Ezekiel asking the crowd “Who wants to hear Zeke speak?” because it was so silly and so perfect. The fact he did it in the same cadence as “Who wants to walk with Elias?” was the cherry on top of this absurd sundae.
Kevin refused to listen to the test and confronted Ezekiel. No, we didn’t get a match between the two, but we did get the prelude to one.
Instead, Zeke and Chad locked up. The latter planned to beat the truth out of the former if he lied, and the match was his chance to back up those very big words.
Chad and Zeke wrestled a pretty good match, too. Truthfully, it’s pretty hard for Chad to do any wrong at this point, so that comes as no surprise. “Ezekiel” picked up his “first” W as result of a DQ. With Chad in an ankle submission and teetering on the verge of tapping, Otis somehow snuck up on everyone and bulldozed “Zeke.”
Props to everyone involved. They took something ridiculous and made it entertaining and, dare I say, compelling.

Tag Team Trickery
During this match, I thought about differences between this one and any other tango between The Street Profits and RK-Bro. Besides the fact the Profits can’t keep losing big tag matches. Especially to the same team.
And the match played out the way it normally does: The Profits beat up on Riddle, Riddle has a hope spot, makes the hot tag to Randy Orton, and Randy dominates. Then came the wrinkle in the story that put me in full Calvin Candie gif mode.
Riddle sets up the RKO while Montez Ford motions to the back for The Uso’s to show up and show out. Cue that familiar “Day One” tune and both members of RK-Bro turn away from the match.
The Profits take advantage. Ford dropkicks Randy off the apron, Angelo Dawkins surprises Riddle with a bum rush attack, whips him to the corner and catches him on his shoulders when Riddle goes for a counter.
This sets up their finisher, and The Profits actually walk away from Raw with a damn W. Color me a lot of things, but shocked is the main shade at the moment.
The Profits took to the mic after the match and said the music cue was their idea. Their point? Show RK-Bro there’s more than one tag team to fear in WWE.
I like the aggression from The Profits and more importantly, I love someone using that wrestling trope as a crutch for their opponents. We all know wrestlers aren’t immune to hearing theme music. Especially theme music of their chief bad guys.
Wherever this thing between RK-Bro and The Uso’s go, The Profits, like Outkast back at the 1995 Source Awards, have something to say about it.

Pronounce You Committed
The Commitment ceremony was great. That’s all you need to know.
Okay maybe you need to know more stuff. R-Truth is incredible, as he carried most of the segment by playing to and with the crowd. Sasha Banks and Naomi, as Tamina’s bridesmaids—yay continuity!—were great as emotional wrecks. Sasha in particular wiped away so many tears and caught so many vapors.
Tamina swapped husbands and a bride, Reggie and Dana Brooke went all in on their kiss, allowing the former to pin his new bride for her championship. Tamina then pinned Reggie, Tozawa pinned Tamina, and finally, Dana pinned Tozawa to get us back to square one.
Purveyors of joy should watch it immediately.

Your Winner...and New...
Theory—still a stupid name—is your new United States champ. Was the outcome ever in doubt? Of course not. We all saw this coming from miles away since Theory has Finn Balor’s number.
The two wrestled an even match until Theory issued a pretty neckbreaker on the outside of the ring. Finn nursed that neck injury the rest of the match. It affected his ability to gain any momentum, and caught up to him when he missed the Coup de Grace. The jolt from the miss shook his whole body, including his neck, and gave Austin Theory the opening for an ATL.
Out came the locker room—some of them—to celebrate the new U.S. champ. And then came Vince, who posed for a selfie with his young mentee.
The match didn’t do much for me, which was probably due to the fact the ending was telegraphed weeks ago.
And, as is customary now, poor Finn.

It’s Not Me, It’s You
It finally happened. After a brief interlude last week, Rhea Ripley turned on Liv Morgan after they lost their tag title match to the Boss & Glow. For me, because it was obvious where it was going, the match itself felt like prolonging the inevitable. It was fine by, but it played out similar beats to their last encounter.
Sasha and Naomi overpower Liv, Rhea evens the odds, Rhea and Liv can’t get on the same page, Sasha and Naomi own real estate on the same page, and the tag champs win because they communicate better their opponents.
Post match, Rhea called her partner a failure and clubbed Liv in the back. Yes, clubbed. The beat down continued until Rhea simply got tired of swinging and walked away.
An official heel turn for the Nightmare (not the American one) and for this writer it’s about damn time. Rhea has a natural...edge...that gets dulled as a goodie good.

Consequences and Repercussions
Sonya Deville came out this week to talk some trash to Bianca Belair. A for effort but whew, the delivery just wasn’t there. Sonya seemed genuinely rattled by the Buffalo crowd, and cut a plodding promo as a result. The segment was almost saved when Bianca entered the chat and threatened the WWE official. Of course, nothing came of it, as Sonya told Bianca she would “lose title quickly” if The EST KOD’d an official of WWE.
Roughness aside, we got a date for their championship match: next week in Bianca’s hometown of Knoxville, TN. I’m with it because Bianca, duh, and I’m curious to see Sonya in action after three years.
To make matters worse for Sonya, Adam Pearce informed her the “higher ups” are looking into her conduct while Bianca was fined all of $1 for laying hands on a WWE official.
That little bit of backstage business made everything in the ring just a tad better.

Veer Keeps Coming
Remember when we were told for weeks Veer was coming and he didn’t come? Now he’s on TV every week! This week, he beat up on local jobber Jeff Brooks, who was then carried out of the ring on a stretcher.
They’re selling Veer as a monster so, yeah, I get it. Mission accomplished.

Arm Wrestling Entertainment
Bobby Lashley and Omos arm wrestle next week to see who is the all mightiest.

Abrupt and unsatisfying ending aside, Raw was enjoyable this week! I wrote a lot already so that’s the most you get.

Grade: B
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 5:11pm On Apr 19, 2022
Just clocked that Bianca broke the recorded of having the smallEST fine in WWE history... cool
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:51pm On Apr 19, 2022
Purpl3:

Mystery Meat
Seth Rollins set off Raw this week pulling the card we figured he had at the top of his deck: He wasn’t ready for Cody Rhodes at WrestleMania. Cody knew his opponent but Setuh didn’t know his, therefore Cody had a competitive advantage. While Seth is a crazy villain, he’s also correct. Cody doesn’t think any of that makes a difference but he’s ready to see Seth at WrestleMania Backlash regardless.
The opening promo battle between the two meandered a bit for my taste. The ultimate point of their back and forth about the Rhodes family, Cody’s last six years, their Mania match, and their upcoming match, was Seth challenging Cody to take on an opponent of Seth’s choosing. Cody didn’t come back to WWE to duck or dodge challenges, so of course he accepted.
For anyone questioning if Cody is Raw’s number one good guy, this promo, along with the crowd’s response to the American Nightmare, answers your question pretty emphatically.
Our main event saw Cody wrestle Kevin Owens, Seth’s best friend. KO came to the ring, already filled with frustration over this Ezekiel nonsense, but more on that later.
KO and Cody started the match actually wrestling. This eventually devolved into a slugfest and KO taking control after hurting Cody’s back. KO worked that back a majority of the match. Backbreakers, suplexes, powerbombs, and anything else he thought of to cripple Rhodes.
The second act saw Cody shake off that pain and withstand the punishment. Kevin tried everything to keep the American Nightmare down, but to no avail. Cody blocked the Pop up Powerbomb with a Frankensteiner, and when the match went to the outside, that’s when trouble struck.
Seth Rollins sensed his plan fraying at the seams, so he made his way to ringside to ensure it didn’t. Eventually, that backfired on Seth. After Cody survived a massive Frog Splash, thanks to his foot on the bottom rope, KO went to pull out his very last drop. Now, the outside factor here was Seth, who vocally cheered on his pal while also questioning why Cody kept surviving.
While not blaming it on KO directly, he did have slight shade for his supposed best friend. I don't know about you, but I don’t tell my best friend to “figure it out” while trying to conquer a seemingly impossible task. But, to be fair, I’m not a psycho.
KO thought he figured it out. A powerbomb to the ring apron probably finishes off Cody. Instead, Cody countered with a back body drop that put Owens on the outside of the ring. While the ref issued his count, Seth but his nose in again, this time telling his best friend to “get his fat ass up.” Well, that was that for Kevin, who walked out but not before telling Seth “this is your match. I don’t need this!”
Cody walked away with the W in a messy and unsatisfying finish. Seth, seemingly as frustrated as the rest of us, attacked Cody from behind as Raw went off the air.
Meh. I wanted an actual finish here and as of now, this story between both men isn’t anything special. Maybe it will get there, but the next premium live event isn’t far away.

Remember Me?
You know what I love about Edge? Everything he does now incorporates his own continuity. WWE isn’t exactly known for remembering its past storylines, but it always makes me grin when at least one wrestler superstar remembers not just what happened last week, but what happened several weeks ago.
While the initial reveal that Damian Priest can do spooky ish during his match with AJ Styles was lackluster, Edge’s promo damn near saved it in retrospect. Plain and simple, Edge is capable of such mind games because he’s the same guy who ran with The Brood and The Ministry of Darkness. How he can pass those powers to Damian wasn’t a part of his promo, but I let it slide because Edge did the work.
Of course Edge can do those types of mind games. He did them for years as part of two horror-inspired factions. Edge used our disbelief and displeasure with last week as fuel to comment on the audience’s terrible attention span.
It’s that same fickleness—shoutout to BD—that Edge saw as fans wanted him back for years only to complain when he finally showed up. He’s here too much, he’s not here enough. He wrestles every week or he’s a part-timer.
Edge said kill all that noise and decided to do him. While stating the purpose of the group, again, wasn’t necessary it made sense considering Edge taking us on a trip down memory lane.
To put an exclamation point on this story, Edge and Priest used more spooky ish to attack AJ in the locker room and enact severe punishment on Styles’ left arm.
This is my favorite thing on Raw right now and it’s all because Edge isn’t insulting anyone’s intelligence.

The Rest
WHO WANTS TO HEAR ZEKE SPEAK?
Chad Gable? And Kevin Owens? In a segment? Gold. This entire lie detector segment was incredible from start to finish.
KO hired Chad to administer the lie detector test, paid him in Canadian dollars, and the two made magic.
Elias was there too. And yes, despite what the lie detector test said, I’m still calling him Elias. Anyway, Elias/Ezekiel played straight man, answering the yes and no questions and proving that yes, he is Ezekiel. I loved Ezekiel asking the crowd “Who wants to hear Zeke speak?” because it was so silly and so perfect. The fact he did it in the same cadence as “Who wants to walk with Elias?” was the cherry on top of this absurd sundae.
Kevin refused to listen to the test and confronted Ezekiel. No, we didn’t get a match between the two, but we did get the prelude to one.
Instead, Zeke and Chad locked up. The latter planned to beat the truth out of the former if he lied, and the match was his chance to back up those very big words.
Chad and Zeke wrestled a pretty good match, too. Truthfully, it’s pretty hard for Chad to do any wrong at this point, so that comes as no surprise. “Ezekiel” picked up his “first” W as result of a DQ. With Chad in an ankle submission and teetering on the verge of tapping, Otis somehow snuck up on everyone and bulldozed “Zeke.”
Props to everyone involved. They took something ridiculous and made it entertaining and, dare I say, compelling.

Tag Team Trickery
During this match, I thought about differences between this one and any other tango between The Street Profits and RK-Bro. Besides the fact the Profits can’t keep losing big tag matches. Especially to the same team.
And the match played out the way it normally does: The Profits beat up on Riddle, Riddle has a hope spot, makes the hot tag to Randy Orton, and Randy dominates. Then came the wrinkle in the story that put me in full Calvin Candie gif mode.
Riddle sets up the RKO while Montez Ford motions to the back for The Uso’s to show up and show out. Cue that familiar “Day One” tune and both members of RK-Bro turn away from the match.
The Profits take advantage. Ford dropkicks Randy off the apron, Angelo Dawkins surprises Riddle with a bum rush attack, whips him to the corner and catches him on his shoulders when Riddle goes for a counter.
This sets up their finisher, and The Profits actually walk away from Raw with a damn W. Color me a lot of things, but shocked is the main shade at the moment.
The Profits took to the mic after the match and said the music cue was their idea. Their point? Show RK-Bro there’s more than one tag team to fear in WWE.
I like the aggression from The Profits and more importantly, I love someone using that wrestling trope as a crutch for their opponents. We all know wrestlers aren’t immune to hearing theme music. Especially theme music of their chief bad guys.
Wherever this thing between RK-Bro and The Uso’s go, The Profits, like Outkast back at the 1995 Source Awards, have something to say about it.

Pronounce You Committed
The Commitment ceremony was great. That’s all you need to know.
Okay maybe you need to know more stuff. R-Truth is incredible, as he carried most of the segment by playing to and with the crowd. Sasha Banks and Naomi, as Tamina’s bridesmaids—yay continuity!—were great as emotional wrecks. Sasha in particular wiped away so many tears and caught so many vapors.
Tamina swapped husbands and a bride, Reggie and Dana Brooke went all in on their kiss, allowing the former to pin his new bride for her championship. Tamina then pinned Reggie, Tozawa pinned Tamina, and finally, Dana pinned Tozawa to get us back to square one.
Purveyors of joy should watch it immediately.

Your Winner...and New...
Theory—still a stupid name—is your new United States champ. Was the outcome ever in doubt? Of course not. We all saw this coming from miles away since Theory has Finn Balor’s number.
The two wrestled an even match until Theory issued a pretty neckbreaker on the outside of the ring. Finn nursed that neck injury the rest of the match. It affected his ability to gain any momentum, and caught up to him when he missed the Coup de Grace. The jolt from the miss shook his whole body, including his neck, and gave Austin Theory the opening for an ATL.
Out came the locker room—some of them—to celebrate the new U.S. champ. And then came Vince, who posed for a selfie with his young mentee.
The match didn’t do much for me, which was probably due to the fact the ending was telegraphed weeks ago.
And, as is customary now, poor Finn.

It’s Not Me, It’s You
It finally happened. After a brief interlude last week, Rhea Ripley turned on Liv Morgan after they lost their tag title match to the Boss & Glow. For me, because it was obvious where it was going, the match itself felt like prolonging the inevitable. It was fine by, but it played out similar beats to their last encounter.
Sasha and Naomi overpower Liv, Rhea evens the odds, Rhea and Liv can’t get on the same page, Sasha and Naomi own real estate on the same page, and the tag champs win because they communicate better their opponents.
Post match, Rhea called her partner a failure and clubbed Liv in the back. Yes, clubbed. The beat down continued until Rhea simply got tired of swinging and walked away.
An official heel turn for the Nightmare (not the American one) and for this writer it’s about damn time. Rhea has a natural...edge...that gets dulled as a goodie good.

Consequences and Repercussions
Sonya Deville came out this week to talk some trash to Bianca Belair. A for effort but whew, the delivery just wasn’t there. Sonya seemed genuinely rattled by the Buffalo crowd, and cut a plodding promo as a result. The segment was almost saved when Bianca entered the chat and threatened the WWE official. Of course, nothing came of it, as Sonya told Bianca she would “lose title quickly” if The EST KOD’d an official of WWE.
Roughness aside, we got a date for their championship match: next week in Bianca’s hometown of Knoxville, TN. I’m with it because Bianca, duh, and I’m curious to see Sonya in action after three years.
To make matters worse for Sonya, Adam Pearce informed her the “higher ups” are looking into her conduct while Bianca was fined all of $1 for laying hands on a WWE official.
That little bit of backstage business made everything in the ring just a tad better.

Veer Keeps Coming
Remember when we were told for weeks Veer was coming and he didn’t come? Now he’s on TV every week! This week, he beat up on local jobber Jeff Brooks, who was then carried out of the ring on a stretcher.
They’re selling Veer as a monster so, yeah, I get it. Mission accomplished.

Arm Wrestling Entertainment
Bobby Lashley and Omos arm wrestle next week to see who is the all mightiest.

Abrupt and unsatisfying ending aside, Raw was enjoyable this week! I wrote a lot already so that’s the most you get.

Grade: B
AEW is absolutely no minor league in the sense of quality wrestling and wrestlers. Look at how one of their former employee is getting crowd reaction in the big fish company. E shock me o, make I no lie. Went from getting booed to getting cheered heavily. Anyway it's not magic. He's being himself. Compare him with that other one standing in the ring with him for that promo. It's so polarising. One is natural, the other is a gimmick. Natural is better and gimmicks should never have been introduced in the first place. It did more harm than good and ultimately ruined wrestling. I'm talking quite different than what you would expect because I like to focus on things that actually matter. I want segments on RAW to be like segments with Cody. I want wrestlers to be like him, real, natural and not fake actors with ridiculous gimmicks; which NXT 2.0 is filled with by the way. Cody is getting as big and even bigger reactions than guys like Roman. I wish him well, but yet again Vince should adjust his product to look more real at the same time entertaining.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:06pm On Apr 19, 2022
Purpl3:
Just clocked that Bianca broke the recorded of having the smallEST fine in WWE history... cool
that was abuse of power by Pearce. The feud itself is not interesting me ND I don't think it interests anyone. The honeymoon period is over. She has beaten the Four Horsewomen. She's no longer the underdog. She's now at the top. It's time to draw money or else, you know what Vince will do.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:12pm On Apr 19, 2022
ValeeLove:
that was abuse of power by Pearce. The feud itself is not interesting me ND I don't think it interests anyone. The honeymoon period is over. She has beaten the Four Horsewomen. She's no longer the underdog. She's now at the top. It's time to draw money or else, you know what Vince will do.

Check again Gee...it interests alot of people, Sonya is a great heel and a very good talker....she was a bit rattled by the crowd yesterday but they saved it.
And no one is seeing Bianca as an underdog anymore Gee.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:16pm On Apr 19, 2022
ValeeLove:
AEW is absolutely no minor league in the sense of quality wrestling and wrestlers. Look at how one of their former employee is getting crowd reaction in the big fish company. E shock me o, make I no lie. Went from getting booed to getting cheered heavily. Anyway it's not magic. He's being himself. Compare him with that other one standing in the ring with him for that promo. It's so polarising. One is natural, the other is a gimmick. Natural is better and gimmicks should never have been introduced in the first place. It did more harm than good and ultimately ruined wrestling. I'm talking quite different than what you would expect because I like to focus on things that actually matter. I want segments on RAW to be like segments with Cody. I want wrestlers to be like him, real, natural and not fake actors with ridiculous gimmicks; which NXT 2.0 is filled with by the way. Cody is getting as big and even bigger reactions than guys like Roman. I wish him well, but yet again Vince should adjust his product to look more real at the same time entertaining.

As long as Pro wrestling is concerned there should and will always be gimmicks, the main issue fans have is when you try to insult their intelligence.
Cody is a walking breathing Gimmick, he is getting all those reactions cos WWE was his home and he is having sort of a prodigal son welcome party. Seth's gimmick is also helping to elevate Cody cos Seth is very good at being annoying, don't make it all about Cody.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:28pm On Apr 19, 2022
Purpl3:

Check again Gee...it interests alot of people, Sonya is a great heel and a very good talker....she was a bit rattled by the crowd yesterday but they saved it.
And no one is seeing Bianca as an underdog anymore Gee.
let's look at it logically. Who wants to watch a fresh champion, who has yet to prove much face off against a failed wrestler turned manager(that's she's not even great at) in a lackluster build. She surprise attacked her and the other got revenge and was fined 1 dollar. How is that suppose to interest anyone? Now compare that with something from the attitude era. And you talk about how good a heel she is. Lol. She was a good one against Naomi, but over the past months management and Pearce have drained her heel power away. She is a joke now. The feud is lackluster. I'd like to hear what other guys on this thread think.
Yeah Bianca is not a underdog. That's what I said.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:35pm On Apr 19, 2022
Purpl3:

As long as Pro wrestling is concerned there should and will always be gimmicks, the main issue fans have is when you try to insult their intelligence.
Cody is a walking breathing Gimmick, he is getting all those reactions cos WWE was his home and he is having sort of a prodigal son welcome party. Seth's gimmick is also helping to elevate Cody cos Seth is very good at being annoying, don't make it all about Cody.
show me one gimmick that does not insult people's intelligence then I'll drop the argument. Cody left as Stardust. The last time I checked Stardust wasn't receiving this sort of reaction. And it's 3 weeks now. Seth is unwatchable. I don't know who can take him serious. Thanks a lot Vince. You ruined my fav wrestler. Did you also hear that Seth and Vince were in a heated argument over his gimmick, some months ago? That says a lot. Cody is being natural. From the way he talks and all. Brock is more natural, same with Roman. Riddle is not, Chad Gable is not, you can easily tell the heavy gimmicks from the natural wrestlers.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:24am On Apr 20, 2022
ValeeLove:
show me one gimmick that does not insult people's intelligence then I'll drop the argument. Cody left as Stardust. The last time I checked Stardust wasn't receiving this sort of reaction. And it's 3 weeks now. Seth is unwatchable. I don't know who can take him serious. Thanks a lot Vince. You ruined my fav wrestler. Did you also hear that Seth and Vince were in a heated argument over his gimmick, some months ago? That says a lot. Cody is being natural. From the way he talks and all. Brock is more natural, same with Roman. Riddle is not, Chad Gable is not, you can easily tell the heavy gimmicks from the natural wrestlers.

Roman Reigns head of the table Gimmick is what you're calling natural?
Looks like you're being conflicted on something. There is no single wrestler in WWE currently that isn't a Gimmick and many of them are killing it from Edge to Seth to Chad...

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:28am On Apr 20, 2022
ValeeLove:
let's look at it logically. Who wants to watch a fresh champion, who has yet to prove much face off against a failed wrestler turned manager(that's she's not even great at) in a lackluster build. She surprise attacked her and the other got revenge and was fined 1 dollar. How is that suppose to interest anyone? Now compare that with something from the attitude era. And you talk about how good a heel she is. Lol. She was a good one against Naomi, but over the past months management and Pearce have drained her heel power away. She is a joke now. The feud is lackluster. I'd like to hear what other guys on this thread think.
Yeah Bianca is not a underdog. That's what I said.

Speak for yourself man.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by dahmie2013: 7:43am On Apr 20, 2022
All na story, all na gimmick! We're simply being entertained.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 10:33am On Apr 20, 2022
Aew is the minor leagues and catered to
hard-core fans.
Wwe is a mega conglomerate with long tenured history.
They are the defacto name when anyone thinks wrestling. Just the way every one thinks ufc when you call mma.
They may have abysmal storytelling but don't think for a second that vince mcmahon doesn't have a good eye for money making.
A public traded company with
Netflix collaboration, Crown jewel shows in Saudi Arabia are what AEW dreams they could be.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 10:37am On Apr 20, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

What in the World?
Normally, I try to come up with clever references for these sections. They entertain me and hopefully entertain you. Some of them are pop culture references, song titles, or just quick observations designed to be just that. But then there are moments when I truly don’t know what to say, hence the title you see a couple sentences above.
What exactly was this mess with Bron Breakker and Joe Gacy? Not going to mince words here, but what I saw was stupid from beginning to painful end. The show starts with Joe Gacy asking Bron what he’s willing to sacrifice to get back his father’s Hall of Fame ring. Bron comes to the arena through the crowd, for basketball reasons, and calls out Gacy.
We’re then treated to a ridiculous game of cat and mouse all night between the two as Bron not only falls for an obvious recording of his father’s voice from weeks ago, but walks into an office of mirrors. Someone really spent their Party City budget on that one, and I’m guessing it wasn’t Gacy, who appeared like the Ultimate Warrior—just Warrior at the time— did during a comically stupid moment in WCW.
At this point, I wondered why is this happening. Besides the fact that I contend the most interesting story is Bron’s dad getting kidnapped and watching Bron chase him down, it misses the initial point I made weeks ago: Bron doesn’t back down to challenges! There’s no need to kidnap his father, steal jewelry, insult his moms, or rip his favorite jean jacket in two.
If you step to Bron and want a title shot, he’ll give it to you. And, I’m sorry, but someone’s life is a much higher stake than a ring, no matter how emotionally valuable said ring is. If Bron is their next big thing, I question the wisdom in having him involved in something this nonsensical and slapdash.
Then the show’s closing segment happened and I rolled my eyes hard enough to get them stuck. Gacy finally reveals himself on the platform in the audience. Bron comes out and Gacy gives him back the ring on one condition: Gacy wants a championship match at Spring Breakin’. Again, if he asked Bron for that two weeks ago, he gets it, no questions asked and no fathers or rings harmed in the process.
Then, in the most ludicrous moment of the week—it’s only Tuesday—Gacy tells Bron to take a leap and pushes him off the platform. Guess what or whom is standing at the bottom of the platform waiting for Bron?
If you said Christmas presents, then you didn’t watch the show. Also, it’s April.
If you said mysterious druids draped in robes, then you saw what I saw.
What. Is. This?
Gacy can do spooky ish now? Are these members of his cult he recruited off screen? And what’s the plan after they mob Bron while he screams as the show fades to black? The fact NXT 2.0 makes swings less wild and has meh-level follow through is disconcerting because this calls for, nay, demands an incredible payoff, along with a solid explanation. And Bron suddenly turning gullible and stupid is a bad look for him.
From start to finish, this was indicative of an episode that never found a rhythm, missed the mark for the most part, and worst of all, was boring.

The Rest
Gangster’s Paradise
Shocker, but Carmelo Hayes and Santos Escobar put on a dope match. A really dope match, actually. It’s so unsurprising that it really doesn’t merit a lot of words but from a purely analytical perspective, Melo needed the win. After losing his championship at Stand & Deliver, Melo needed the juice back. And at Spring Breakin’, he gets his match with Cameron Grimes for the title.
It wasn’t all fun and games for the champ though, as Solo Sikoa came through for his revenge after last week’s Melo and Trick-sponsored chicanery. I liked this because it’s logical and in-character. And guess what? Melo and Grimes have Solo to content with as the championship match is now of the triple threat variety.
That said, the ending of the match was both piss and poor. Two gents in bowlers, who are supposed to be gangsters rolling with Tony D, attacked Santos when the ref’s back was turned. Why is Tony D running with cats dressed like John Steed from The Avengers https://youtu.be/6aUAT3obi08. And if you’re thinking that’s a Marvel reference, the link provided will prove otherwise.
It’s incongruent, even if I understand what they’re going for. boo all around for that.
But then it got worse: Tony D slapped a boot on their truck and left a Sicilian message on the hood.

Stratisfied
During her match with Sarray, Tiffany Stratton asked, “Why won’t you stay down?!” Despite that brief moment of frustration and good character work, Tiffany controlled most of this match minus a few moments during the second act when Sarray caught fire. Sarray’s technical wizardry wasn’t enough to beat the princess.
Damn good match too.

Waller is a Cockroach
Grayson Waller defeated Sanga somehow. The dude just survives. Their impromptu match is a result of Waller giving Sanga his walking papers last week, so Sanga was out for blood. Sanga is a big bruiser who moves pretty well for a man his size. Waller’s weasel schtick made Sanga look good but I’m perplexed by the ending. Waller doesn't need a clean victory over Sanga; Waller doesn’t need clean victories at all. Let your heels do heel things. The match was merely okay but that ending makes no sense. Let Waller really put the big man over by being underhanded.
Shoutout to the cat in the crowd rocking the My Bloody Valentine t-shirt. I see you.

Nattie in the House
I refuse to call Natalya that word that rhymes with moat. But she easily handled Tatum Paxley this week. Tatum stepped up last week and told Nattie she wanted some. Well, she got all that she could handle in a match that didn’t thrill me one bit but served its purpose.
Later, Nikkita Lyons told Nattie she wants that action. AND, she’s flexible enough to withstand the Sharpshooter.
I believe I speak for the entire audience, everyone reading this, and Nairaland as a whole when I say...whatever is in my head because it can’t be repeated.

Legado Still Runs the Bingo
Everyone wants a piece of Pretty Deadly. Grizzled Young Veterans want all of the smoke with the new tag champs, especially since they weren’t invited to last week’s tag team gauntlet. The problem with that? Legado del Fantasma want those tag titles too.
The show kicked off with all three teams talking trash to each other, with LdF doing most of the talking with their fists. And feet. And elbows. This led to an entertaining tag match between GYV and LdF. GYV got caught up playing LdF’s game: Running fast break offense at 100 mph. There was one miscue that thankfully didn’t lead to any repercussions. Legado got the W and move closer to the front of the line for a tag title match.

Speaking of Pretty Deadly...
Remember last week when Indi Hartwell and Persia Pirotta suggested their men team up for the tag titles? Well, we got that this week when Dexter Lumis and Duke Hudson formed like Voltron for a championship match.
It was an okay match illustrating the difference between one team who always works together rand another that can't even speak to each other without an intermediary. And, to the surprise of no one, Pretty Deadly won. Because they’re the new tag champs and should win.
The match was fine but by this point in the show, it didn’t feel worthy of a main event.

Roxanne, Roxanne
Roxanne Perez won her NXT 2.0 debut. Her first match was a week early thanks to Toxic Attraction being themselves and challenging her. Jacy Jayne was the pick to take down the rookie. And she almost did until Wendy Choo showed up on the big screen after wrecking TA’s dressing room. It’s wrestling, so you know how the distraction goes: Roxanne used it to get the W.

X Marks the Spot
There’s an interesting story to tell with Wes Lee. His partner is gone, his titles are gone, and now he’s all alone. Xyon Quinn offered some confusing advice, Wes said being in the ring brings peace so they wrestled.
And Quinn won. Cool, cool.

I enjoyed about three moments from this show and only two of those were matches. The energy of this show was lacking, especially after last week’s damn fine gauntlet match that brought all the joy.
The worst sin of all? It was a boring show.
Grade: D
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:42pm On Apr 20, 2022
Purpl3:

Roman Reigns head of the table Gimmick is what you're calling natural?
Looks like you're being conflicted on something. There is no single wrestler in WWE currently that isn't a Gimmick and many of them are killing it from Edge to Seth to Chad...
I knew Reigns would be an issue, but still he's more natural than gimmicked you would agree. Edge? Lol. I can't take him serious now, and he was awesome when he came back till before Wrestlemania. He talked and acted natural and connected with the fans that way. It's so sad how he's being booked now. Chad is killing it? Lol. A comedy act that says "shoooosh" every week for absolutely no reason. He even has it written on his shirt. I remember when Vince stood in front of a camera and said "the era of say your prayers and eat your vitamins is now passe" and he wasn't going insult our intelligence anymore as fans; so much for that.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:44pm On Apr 20, 2022
Purpl3:

Speak for yourself man.
why the pic? No one there seems excited. They are just taking about it, with some focused on other things like Xia Li and Asuka.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:47pm On Apr 20, 2022
dahmie2013:
All na story, all na gimmick! We're simply being entertained.
so where do we keep sport in this your defination. If it's just entertainment only then Hugh Jackman will do a better job than any of the wrestlers. Abi? It's sports and entertainment. It only becomes a problem when one overshadows the other. And that's what I'm against. Storylines and characters should not insult our intelligence. And that's why gimmicks and unnecessary story scripts have to go.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:48pm On Apr 20, 2022
ValeeLove:
I knew Reigns would be an issue, but still he's more natural than gimmicked you would agree. Edge? Lol. I can't take him serious now, and he was awesome when he came back till before Wrestlemania. He talked and acted natural and connected with the fans that way. It's so sad how he's being booked now. Chad is killing it? Lol. A comedy act that says "shoooosh" every week for absolutely no reason. He even has it written on his shirt. I remember when Vince stood in front of a camera and said "the era of say your prayers and eat your vitamins is now passe" and he wasn't going insult our intelligence anymore as fans; so much for that.

If you don't like Chad Gable's current body of work right now then I can't help you...it means your issues are too deep rooted and you need to just boycott the product totally.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:49pm On Apr 20, 2022
ValeeLove:
why the pic? No one there seems excited. They are just taking about it, with some focused on other things like Xia Li and Asuka.

Those are screenshots of people's comments from both Twitter and YouTube, they are talking about it cos they are excited about it.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:51pm On Apr 20, 2022
samistry:
Aew is the minor leagues and catered to
hard-core fans.
Wwe is a mega conglomerate with long tenured history.
They are the defacto name when anyone thinks wrestling. Just the way every one thinks ufc when you call mma.
They may have abysmal storytelling but don't think for a second that vince mcmahon doesn't have a good eye for money making.
A public traded company with
Netflix collaboration, Crown jewel shows in Saudi Arabia are what AEW dreams they could be.
this isn't about AEW. They have their problems. So if the stories are abysmal how did he make 1 billion dollar last year. Cos I'm sure it's not because he produces good wrestling cos according to you the stories are abysmal and I concur. So how? Vince is definately not catering for true wrestling fans. That I know.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:53pm On Apr 20, 2022
Purpl3:

If you don't like Chad Gable's current body of work right now then I can't help you...it means your issues are too deep rooted and you need to just boycott the product totally.
I'm not invested in the product. I pick what is good like Cody, Roman and Brock and I'm good. The rest are short YouTube clips if need be.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:54pm On Apr 20, 2022
ValeeLove:
I'm not invested in the product. I pick what is good like Cody, Roman and Brock and I'm good. The rest are short YouTube clips if need be.

No issues Gee...do you cool

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:59pm On Apr 20, 2022
Purpl3:

Those are screenshots of people's comments from both Twitter and YouTube, they are talking about it cos they are excited about it.
you didn't need to quite frankly. If some people are talking about it what can I do? No matter what happens they will always be people that watch the WWE product and we know that. Punk mentioned that in his Pipebomb promo in 2011. It doesn't mean they are truly enjoying it. Some are addicted, like many. Others just watch since their kids like it and so much more. Again no conversation there looks excited except maybe 1 or 2. That's was I see anyway. Atleast it's on RAW and not PPV.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2022
ValeeLove:
you didn't need to quite frankly. If some people are talking about it what can I do? No matter what happens they will always be people that watch the WWE product and we know that. Punk mentioned that in his Pipebomb promo in 2011. It doesn't mean they are truly enjoying it. Some are addicted, like many. Others just watch since their kids like it and so much more. Again no conversation there looks excited except maybe 1 or 2. That's was I see anyway. Atleast it's on RAW and not PPV.

Lol...that's a huge stretch of straw grasping right there grin grin cheesy
Like I said earlier just watch what you enjoy man.

2 Likes

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 9:34am On Apr 23, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

The running Man
I actually loved how they told the show long story on Friday Night SmackDown this week.
Jey Uso wrestled Riddle as the whole feud between the two tag team champions from Raw and SmackDown, respectively heats up. Riddle came out ahead, angering both The Usos and Roman Reigns, who, as we know, is none too fond of seeing his family failing.
Meanwhile, Riddle helped mend fences between Orton and Drew McIntyre backstage, something a sneaky Sami Zayn overheard while he was camping around the corner, for whatever reason. Sensing an opportunity, he sought out Reigns himself and made a pitch to him.
With a Lumberjack match against McIntyre looming in the main event, Zayn made up some trash talk he overheard before asking Reigns for assistance from The Bloodline in said match in exchange for his own services as necessary at a later time. The “Head of the Table” went for it and demanded The Usos handle business.
That led us to the main event, where Jimmy & Jey were out as Lumberjacks along with RK-Bro. Naturally, they put Orton and Riddle down before heading out. The Lumberjacks broke into chaos shortly after, with everyone brawling with everyone else. That left the door open for Zayn to run away yet again!
Amazing.
Adam Pearce showed up and lamented the fact that Zayn managed to figure out a way out of actually having to finish a match with McIntyre once more and then booked a steel cage match for next week. Surely he won’t be able to escape then!
The show ended with McIntyre putting Jinder Mahal down with a Claymore as Zayn looked on from the crowd, scared to death that the same fate awaits him.
This was a really slick way to set up Zayn getting out of the match again while involving the main event players and getting yet another match out of this Zayn/McIntyre ordeal. Really well played all around.

I beat you at Wrestlemania
Ronda Rousey is actually improving on the microphone in terms of her delivery. Gone was the monotone, robotic reciting of a script, replaced with some inflection and, I’ll be damned, the ability to get across a bit of passion.
This is good!
Not so good: she still badly needs to speak up. My ears are admittedly damaged but I constantly have a hard time even hearing what she’s saying. That is, quite obviously, very bad! If she figures that part out, or if WWE just turns her mic up, she’d be golden.
Meanwhile, I continue to be impressed by Charlotte Flair’s ability to be the kind of heel who annoys the ever loving shit out of you with that shit eating grin while she’s repeatedly saying “I beat you at WrestleMania.” Because there is no good comeback for it. Even the truth, that she tapped and got lucky with the referee down, falls short.
That’s why it works so well.
But it also works beautifully to make you want Rousey to shut her up. To that end, they had their contract-signing-that-turns-into-fisticuffs segment on Friday Night SmackDown this week, and they got that across good and proper. Said segment ended with a really forced moment where Rousey signed the contract while giving poor Drew Gulak — who is now interning to be Adam Pearce’s assistant — an armbar.
I get what they were going for, that she got the chance to send a message via Gulak like Flair did last week, but it fell flat in front of this audience.
Still, the build here remains solid overall.

All the Rest
BUTCH, the hilarious cartoon character who can’t control his anger and just wants to fight all the time, cannot for the life of him defend a small package. His weakness has been revealed within a month of his main roster run. Tough scenes.

GUNTHER scored another win over a local athlete, as they continued to establish that this is a baaaaad dude. Nothing much to say about it, but it’s a great way to do just what they’re doing. Rock on.

Xia Li has been repackaged, or at least given a slight character change. She says she used to be the protector but now she sees no one worth protecting so she’s just going to protect herself. I guess this is their way of saying she’s doing her own thing now? We’ll have to stay tuned.

I continue to be amazed that whatever RK-Bro is doing on a given night tends to be one of if not the most exciting thing that happens on whatever show they’re on. That was the case again here, as Riddle defeated Jey Uso in a really fun singles match. That’s consecutive victories for the Raw tag team champions over the SmackDown tag title holders.

Sasha Banks & Naomi have done an outstanding job showcasing just how good the women’s tag team division can be when it’s given time and showcased. That’s why it’s unfortunate that WWE hasn’t done much of anything to actually build off that and instead are going right back to the likes of the thrown together team of Shayna Baszler & Natalya as the next title contenders. They just lost at WrestleMania 38, and Nattie is off doing NXT 2.0 things, but there are no other options. It reeks of apathy. It’s a shame because genuine effort could give us a lot of good television.

Remember when I said Madcap Moss was a goober who had some charm to him that was kind of endearing? Yeah, he’s rapidly losing his charm as it’s revealed there isn’t really much to him at all. Happy Corbin tried to get him to come back and when that failed, attacked him after his match. Then he stole The Andre trophy. It’s just not that interesting.

Lacey Evans told her story again, this being chapter three, and it featured the same themes of the past couple chapters. It still feels exploitative and remains so at odds with how she was presented before that it’s hard to reconcile but it’s at least worth seeing how it plays out once she’s actually back on TV.

This show is still missing Roman Reigns in a more prominent role but it’s nice that he doesn’t have to completely carry the load and the show’s are still entertaining enough.

Grade: B-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 8:15am On Apr 26, 2022

Viper 2-0
Monday Night Raw started with a tribute to Randy Orton. Riddle threw a mini celebration for his partner’s 20th year on the job, and invited Cody Rhodes to join the festivities. Cody and Randy’s history made it a cool moment, but Seth Rollins, decked out in his latest Candy Cane wear, made it a great segment. Seth reminded Cody of something we all have from time to time: It’s not always about him.
This led to an absurd moment where Ezekiel showed up! Seriously, he just showed up with a microphone, introduced himself to everyone—eliciting a very funny “Ezekiel, right?” from Randy—and gave his own verbal flowers to the Viper.
Kevin Owens said “nah!” very loudly and stopped the madness because Elias is hustling the entire world. Then came The Uso’s, because duh.
To make a long story short, Adam Pearce booked a four man tag match for Raw’s main event. The Uso’s, Seth, and KO in one corner, RK-Bro, Cody Rhodes, and Zeke in the other.
I love when feuds criss cross. Every man in this match has their own beef across the ring, so putting them together in a big match kills several birds with one gigantic stone. While the Zeke and KO feud didn’t get the smoothest insertion, I’ll allow it based on how entertaining this story is at the moment.
The entire match was built around Randy getting the hot tag. This was his night, so it only fitting the Knoxville crowd saw him as the hero.
Randy, in this role, provides so much energy to tag matches because he plays the hits. We got the snap powerslams, we got three cats suplexed into commentary tables, one hanging DDT, and free RKO’s for all the bad guys. In fact, one might argue the we got a delayed ending to the match just to see everyone fall prey to an RKO.
To the surprise of no one, Randy got the W for the good guys and sent everyone in the crowd home happy. This was a fun match designed to let the eight men involved showcase their skills. The only true story development we got was way before the match when The Street Profits declared they’re up next against whoever walks out of WrestleMania Backlash as unified tag champs.
The more I think about it, that lack of story progression is my one issue here. There’s nothing learned this week that we didn’t already know. It’s a longstanding problem within WWE that dope or potentially dope matches are booked before the story to get us there plays out. The reverse engineering results in several weeks of people running in place with no compelling narrative.
Do I want to see RK-Bro and The Uso’s wrestle? Of course. And with a title on the line, there’s a school of thought that says they don’t need the usual narrative twists and turns. But watching them wrestle each other in different configurations for weeks with no shifts in the story makes every clash less interesting.
Sometimes, it’s okay to just let your great wrestlers go wild in the ring, and we got that this week. But someone needs to keep their eye on the larger story and move that story forward. Just because your match features KO doing a very impressive senton bomb from the top rope doesn’t mean you get cut corners.

Power of Abuse
Every week, I stress the importance of logic in my professional sports entertainment. The matches, which are just extensions of the story, need to make sense. If Bianca Belair is defending her championship against a WWE official, then it makes sense for said official to bend the rules in her favor.
Of course Deville restarted the match after getting counted out. Of course she made the match no DQ after she got caught blatantly hitting the champ in the back with a chair. And, duh, she invited two other heels, Carmella and Queen Zelina, to join in on her reindeer games.
This match was less about Sonya’s battle with Bianca and more about the evolving story of her position within WWE. That means it was a lot of “gaga” for Bianca’s hometown crowd, designed to throw a lot of heat on Sonya. Hoisted on her own petard, Sonya sealed her fate when Bianca threw her head first into the same steel chair she brought into the ring. If musical chairs taught us anything as children, it’s that those who live by the chair also die by the chair.
Bianca dispatched Zelina and Carmella, hit the KOD on Deville, and celebrated in front of the home crowd.
But wait, there’s more!
Post match, Sonya berated the Queen and Mella. As it turns out, Sonya promised Mella and the Queen tag title shots if they delivered her the Raw Women’s title. Since that didn’t happen, that title match isn’t happening either. Sonya then slapped fire out of both women. Between Sonya’s slaps and Lash Legend’s kick to Nikkita Lyons a couple weeks ago, the women in WWE are hitting harder than the men.
We know Sonya’s time as Adam Pearce’s partner is in its twilight. How we get there and what happens as a result is where WWE needs to stick the landing.

The Rest
Came From Tomorrow to the Big Time
ASUKA IS BACK! Becky Lynch returned and cut a promo that started reflexive and depressing, noting how she doesn't know who she is without the championship around her waist. Funny enough, the same thing she accused Charlotte Flair of many moons ago.
Once Becky’s promo turned defiant, she threw out a list of women she’s ready to defeat. Right when she got to the end, a familiar tune played Asuka made her return.
Becky played this perfectly, dropping the mic with the right count of comedic timing and the right amount of fear. Asuka made her intentions clear and Becky, as of now, wants no static with the Empress of Tomorrow.
I cannot wait for this.

Ali x Ciampa
Well, now we know what WWE is doing with Ciampa.
I’m a big Mustafa Ali fan and felt bad WWE didn’t give him his walking papers. The man wanted freedom and didn’t get it, despite the fact the company wasn’t using him.
Color me surprised when he interrupted Miz TV this week, throwing shade over Theory’s parade. Theory and Miz loved each other up until Ali arrived. As soon as Ali turned his attention to Miz after Theory rejected his United States title challenge, the U.S. champ used his connections to the boss to make a match between Miz and Ali happen.
And it was a solid match. Ali didn’t look rusty and Miz, as always, did all in his power to make his opponent look good. Ali didn’t get a dominating win either, beating Miz in a surprise roll up attempt.
While that’s all well and good, the intriguing thing was Ciampa attacking Ali after the match.
Curiouser and curiouser.

Make Omos Look Strong
Bobby Lashley won the Battle of the Arms, downing Omos in a pretty serious struggle.
Then Omos proceeded to destroy Lashley for wining, sending a message to the former WWE champ and looking like a beast. Lashley is going a lot for Omos in very little time. While the actual arm wrestling match wasn’t it for me, the post match beatdown hit the sweet spot.

Liv x Rhea
Liv Morgan went off on Rhea Ripley. The latter was in promo mode backstage, explaining to the world she became Women’s champion on her own and finally saw the light. Well, Liv tried to ensure she never saw anything ever again, much less a metaphorical light.
I’m not thrilled at the prospect of a match between the two, but it is logical and needs to happen.

Judgement Day?
Damian Priest put a whooping on Finn Balor. As is customary around these parts, let me get this out of the way: Poor Finn.
Finn was a pitstop while both men wait for an “injured” AJ Styles to return. After watching Priest disappear during his debut as Edge’s charge, it was good to at least get a full match. Even if it wasn’t the greatest match or the most suspenseful because, c’mon, Finn wasn’t winning this match. And if thought there was a chance of him clawing out a W, then I feel for you like Chaka Khan.
The real story here is Edge’s faction has a name: Judgement Day.
No, sir, I don’t like it. It’s a nothing of a name. I get the meaning but it feels like a first draft. While it’s good to finally give them a name, the group deserves better than this. Especially if/when they expand their numbers.

Veer is Still Here
Million Dollar Arm and Billion Dollar Hair, Veer annihilated another local jobber. That is all.

Marriage Counseling
The 24-7 title scene, once the bane of my existence, is now something I look forward to every week. While hitting the high of last week’s wedding was impossible, they at least gave it their all this week with R-Truth as a marriage counselor. The counselor failed to tell Reggie, Dana Brooke, Tamina, and Tozawa he is also a certified referee as well. Their inter gender tag match was very brief, but Tozawa picked up the W after going to the top rope, declaring his love for Tamina, and pinning Reggie. Tamina tied to steal the title from Dana after the match, followed by R-Truth even turning on Dana. Hey, the match was over and anything goes. Even a referee pinning someone and officiating their own match.
Special shoutout to Tamina for shooting her shot at Dana again before Tozawa interrupted. At the end of the day, isn’t that why we’re all here?

Raw was solid this week. An entertaining show that moved a lot of pieces forward (for the most part) and gave us some good matches. We got some big returns that should provide some juice to a show in need of star power. And most importantly? I wasn’t bored.

Grade: B-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 9:33am On Apr 27, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

ON SIGHT!
Lash Legend and Nikkita Lyons have the best feud in the territory. I said I before and I will shout it as loud as I can from the tallest mountain I have enough guts to scale.
The two ladies opened NXT this week and wasted no time getting into it as Lash was on the hunt. The violence felt real and for a moment, a little too real. There was a scary spot where Lyons narrowly escaped landing on her head when Lash dumped her out of the ring.
The two women aren't polished in the ring yet but make up for it in pure watchability and character work. Plus, it’s just an engaging feud. While Lyons got the win with her normal martial arts-inspired offense, it wasn’t over. Not even close.
Nattie, remembering Nikkita stepped to her last week, assaulted the victor with Lash’s help. Then along came Cora Jade to even those odds, and now we’re getting a tag match between all four women at Spring Breakin’.
I don’t know what else to say about this feud other than it’s just fun and feels real. And at times, that’s all I need.

Spring Gacy
The NXT crowd chanted “we want wrestling” as Joe Gacy lulled them with his promo that ended the show this week. That was the least of my issues here.
Remember, these are just my thoughts, right or wrong, it’s how I’m feeling at the time. And right now? This sucks.
Last week, we got this baffling conclusion where Bron Breakker was tossed off stage with bunch of minions in robes waiting for him. They swarmed him, he screamed, and the show went off air.
How do we follow that up this week? Gacy talks about an injury Bron suffered but won’t disclose, Rick Steiner comes out to the worst music ever and says Bron is A-OK, Gacy’s robed minions circle Rick, Bron’s music hits, and the NXT champ beats up a couple minions only to get laid out by Gacy.
What exactly was the point of last week then if we get no follow up? I complained about this last week and on the latest episode of our podcast, but this is piss poor storytelling. In fact, this entire thing between Gacy and Bron is mired in haphazard plot and even worse logic. These cliffhangers from one episode to the next mean nothing if we keep missing the interesting stuff. Or, and this is a big problem, there is no actual reason for the events.
Bron screamed for his life last week but now he’s just fine? Rick Steiner was previously kidnapped by Gacy and now he’s just cool with walking out to the ring? Actually, better put, Bron was okay with his dad walking out to the ring by himself? It’s insulting because as a horror geek, I can throw a dart and hit some pretty good plot points NXT can utilize. It’s not rocket science at all, but they’re making it that way because they refuse to do the work.
I fail to see how this angle makes anyone look good, least of all Bron. The last image of the show isn’t even worth mentioning so I won’t. But, it’s a thing that happened and was entirely meh.

The Rest
The Don? Sure
Von Wagner defeated Tony D’Angelo in a match that bored me almost to tears. Von Wagner just isn’t it and it’s sad Tony D took an L here. Even though, it was with an asterisk. Santos Escobar and LdF interfered for a bit of revenge, taking out Tony’s Monty Python Goons and Tony in the process.
Later in the show, we got the names of said goons: Troy “2 Dimes” Donovan and Channing Lorenzo. Shoutout to Troy for doing the universal sign for money when he stepped to the screen. Ya know, because his name is “2 Dimes.”
Santos should make this interesting because everything he does is dope.

I want Nate Frazer
Grayson Waller wants sone of Nathan Frazer, and Tiffany Stratton wants to help. Frazer’s debut didn’t happen because Waller beat up his opponent and talked a lot of trash on the mic. Waller then ran down Chase U, trashing their school, their women, and their overall way of life.
Nathan attacked Waller while the latter was running his mouth, and now Waller is heated.

Return of the Macks
Katana Chance & Kayden Carter narrowly defeated Valentina Feroz & Yulisa Leon in an okay match. I expected more here even though it was a fun match. Chance & Carter have a really high bar while Feroz & Leon impress every time I see them. The match suffered due to a lack of time, which is a constant theme on NXT 2.0: Not enough time to really let every match shine because there’s so much happening.

Legado Takes Advantage...
What was supposed to be a trios match featuring Legado del Fantasma on one side of the ring and Briggs, Jensen & Fallon Henley on the other side. But a mystery assailant took out Jensen before the match, turning the three-on-three into a three-on-two.
Now, before we get to the match results, let’s dig into why Jensen missed the match. Earlier in the show, Jensen’s wandering eye noticed the same woman hovering around Robert Stone and Von Wagner. To be fair, she did get right in homeboy’s face, so it was hard not to notice her.
Stone and Wagner didn’t take too kindly to this, apparently, as Stone appeared on the commentary table and took full credit for the beatdown.
I disagree with the story decision here. Briggs and Henley were convinced Legado were the culprits. Rather than let that story play out and give us some mystery for next week or even the next two weeks, we immediately take the air out of that and know exactly who did it. And we know why: Jensen looked at a woman Stone believes belongs to him. Okay, cool. But there’s still mystery about that particular relationship so it’s hard to truly get engaged in the story.
LdF got the W because three people are better than two any day of the week. I just wish we had a stronger story built around all of it and didn’t let all of the cats out of their respective bags.

No Tricks, No Treats
Trick Williams is still the man. Even though he took a loss to Solo Sikoa, he came out looking like the man with the brighter future. Mostly because he sells well and makes everything, and everyone, look good.
Cameron Grimes on commentary sowed some interesting seeds as it relates to Carmelo Hayes and his best friend. Grimes said Trick is the star and Melo is not only holding him back, but selfish as well. I don’t want these two to breakup any time soon, but it looks like we’re at least laying the foundation for what their breakup might look like if it happens. Something worth our attention.
On another note, once the match ended, Grimes and Melo went at it verbally, only for Sikoa to knockout Grimes. It looked like he was aiming for Melo, but he didn’t look remorseful at all. Intrigue I can get behind.

RAID
The Viking Raiders came to NXT at the behest of Roderick Strong. Why? Strong thinks The Diamond Mine is getting soft and believes the Brothers Creed need to toughen up. Clearly setting up a moment where Strong is pushed out of the Mine because, as stated here before, he just doesn’t fit anymore. Especially with The Creed’s recent run that basically made them good guys.
Unfortunately, that means someone has to lose to them. Edris Enofe and Malik Blade, come on down!
Which sucks, because these two started with a spark. Now they’re a bit of a comedy duo and fodder for other teams. Or for Toxic Attraction. Or any woman with a pulse on the show.
After The Vikings raided all over them, the Creed Bros. showed up for a patented wrestling stare down. These two teams square off at Spring Breakin’ and honestly, I’m more interested in the implications than the match itself.

I’m Over This
I want to say something nice about Mandy Rose and Roxanne Perez. The match itself wasn’t awful. That’s about it.

Wendy Choo showed up after the match and...dropped a net on Toxic Attraction after they evaded her super soaker. Wendy and Roxanne then sprayed TA with silly string.
Yup, this ain’t it.

I wasn’t feeling NXT this week. The show kicked off with its hottest angle even if the match left a lot to be desired. And it was downhill from there with small peaks but mostly valleys. The NXT championship story is a dumpster fire. Sadly, there’s not enough extinguisher in the world to douse the flames. And since it’s the focal point of the show, everything around it suffers.
We got some prep for the Women’s breakout tournament, Kay Lee Ray is now Alba Fyre, and Wes Lee is on a journey, and that stuff was probably the most interesting.

Grade: D
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 11:39am On Apr 28, 2022
WWE and this their factions that always crash like ponzi scheme.

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 232
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.