Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,892 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:08 AM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (264) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (282849 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 1:30pm On Jul 23, 2022
Valeelove, the pop Brock got when he came back tho.
That was a real Pro wrestling moment don't you think?
Cos at that point nobody knew if his exit was real or a work.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:54pm On Jul 23, 2022
pu7pl3:
Valeelove, the pop Brock got when he came back tho.
That was a real Pro wrestling moment don't you think?
Cos at that point nobody knew if his exit was real or a work.
he's a big star, what do we expect, and yes you're right, the real-life elements works in wrestling. And to me it proves my point that the movie-like storylines aren't what makes it work. I'm choosing my words carefully cos I'm not against storylines as a whole, but I want a sport-based storyline. So we have to ask ourselves a honest question, why does real life elements work when it should be the fake storylines that work? So yeah, Brock is a star. I just wish we had like 5 of him, else we'll have to manage Brock vs Roman at Mania 39.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:59pm On Jul 23, 2022
Meanwhile them don comot Max Dupri from that role. I told you guys. Those things don't work, atleast they had an excuse of little experience when they did it 20 to 30 years ago. But in 2022? Please call out their trash booking when need be.
And Eli Drake should be a wrestler. If he doesn't fit a wrestler then fire him, why make him a manager? Because he can talk? That's the highest height of insult to him and to managers to think a managers job is just to talk.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2022
Kaycee7:
On the point of choosing to be deceived, I'd like to point out that some of us simply transitioned from viewing WWE as a sport to viewing it as live theatre.
Kaycee7. Many people say it's entertainment. No sir it's not. It's sports and entertainment. The history of Pro-wrestling deception is why we are in the position we are today. If it isn't represented as the combination of both, then it shouldn't exist at all. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by dahmie2013: 4:43pm On Jul 23, 2022
This Vince's retirement seems too impromptu. Or am I the only one seeing it from that perspective?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by naptu2: 6:26pm On Jul 23, 2022
naptu2:
The monster era

Funny enough, I was watching this video just last week.

In the late 1970s, the biggest stars in the IWA were The Mighty Igor and Mil Mascaras, the biggest stars in the NWA were Dusty Rhodes, Rick Flair and Harley Race and the biggest stars in the WWF were Andre The Giant and Bob Backlund.

Bob Backlund was the WWF president. Vince McMahon senior wanted a good guy who was like the guy next door to be his champion. He wanted someone that everybody could relate to. (I really seriously bought into that gimmick when I was a kid. Bob Backlund and his chicken wing).

However, Vince McMahon Jr took over as chairman of the WWF in 1982 and he had a very different idea. He wanted his champions to be monsters. He preferred to have enormous creatures as his superstars.

Vince McMahon Jr wanted Hulk Hogan to be his champion, but he didn't want to devalue the brand that his father had created. Therefore, he had to move the championship from Bob Backlund to Hulk Hogan without making Backlund lose to Hogan. He also had to do it in a way that did not annoy Backlund.

Vince McMahon decided to use the Iron Sheikh as a vehicle to achieve his goal. He told Bob Backlund that he would have to drop the title to the Iron Sheik, but that he would later be given the opportunity to win it back. The Iron Sheikh defeated Bob Backlund in this match in 1983. In order to protect Backlund's legacy, it was designed so that his manager would throw in the towel against his wishes. Backlund never won the title back from him. Instead, Hulk Hogan defeated Sheikhy Baby in 1984. The Iron Sheikh did not fight any major wrestler during his reign as champion (he was only a vessel, not a star). Instead he feuded with people like Salvatore Bellomo. Hulk Hogan became the champion in 1984 and the Hulkamania era began.

Vince McMahon brought enormous wrestlers to the WWF. I remember watching Killer Khan in the early 1980s (during McMahon Sr's era) and thinking that he was enormous and scary. However, he looked relatively small by the time he returned to the WWF in the late 1980s. Vince brought the Ultimate Warrior, Sid Justice, Lex Lugar and even ginormous characters like Giant Gonzalez (who broke Andre The Giant's height record) and Yokozuna (who broke Andre's weight record) to the WWF.

This later caused problems for him because the US Congress investigated the WWF for supplying steroids to wrestlers in order to make them bigger.

Back then I didn't know that Vince McMahon was the chairman of the WWF. He had acted as a commentator and interviewer when his father was chairman and he continued to act in that role after he became chairman. He hired a man, Jack Tunney, to act as president and CEO of the WWF (onscreen). Then, in the late 1980s or early 1990s, McMahon acted as CEO of the World Bodybuilding Federation, a subsidiary of the WWF. It was only in the 1990s that they made it clear that Vince was the chairman of the WWF.

Earlier today one of my nephews called me to say that Vince McMahon had retired from the WWE. He said that there were allegations that Vince had affairs with some people and paid them to keep it quite. He also said that Stephanie McMahon will take over as chairman of the organisation.

The Iron Sheikh defeats Bob Backlund to become WWF champion (1983).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFzSMKpWtuw

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:42pm On Jul 23, 2022
ValeeLove:
he's a big star, what do we expect, and yes you're right, the real-life elements works in wrestling. And to me it proves my point that the movie-like storylines aren't what makes it work. I'm choosing my words carefully cos I'm not against storylines as a whole, but I want a sport-based storyline. So we have to ask ourselves a honest question, why does real life elements work when it should be the fake storylines that work? So yeah, Brock is a star. I just wish we had like 5 of him, else we'll have to manage Brock vs Roman at Mania 39.

Brock and Roman should fight forever as far as I'm concerned cheesy
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:46pm On Jul 23, 2022
ValeeLove:
Meanwhile them don comot Max Dupri from that role. I told you guys. Those things don't work, atleast they had an excuse of little experience when they did it 20 to 30 years ago. But in 2022? Please call out their trash booking when need be.
And Eli Drake should be a wrestler. If he doesn't fit a wrestler then fire him, why make him a manager? Because he can talk? That's the highest height of insult to him and to managers to think a managers job is just to talk.

I wonder what they mean by "he rubbed people the wrong way"
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:33pm On Jul 23, 2022
pu7pl3:

I wonder what they mean by "he rubbed people the wrong way"
i dont' know. But I think everyone will be fine.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:35pm On Jul 23, 2022
ValeeLove:
i dont' know. But I think everyone will be fine.

Yea, me too man
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by luizpippo(m): 11:11am On Jul 25, 2022
pu7pl3:

grin grin grin grin
Thanks for understanding my G

If RAW update no dey tomorrow, DSS fit arrest you o cheesy
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 3:43pm On Jul 25, 2022
pu7pl3:

Brock and Roman should fight forever as far as I'm concerned cheesy
you mean like this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 5:16pm On Jul 25, 2022
Its a feel good story. The type that only the unpredictable hands of life can write. It's a story of redemption. He worked his butt off to get to the top of the ladder, yes he was greedy, but he deserved the happy ending nonetheless. He had to be punished and humiliated for something he barely did while the chief perpetrators went scott free because they had what he didn't have at that time - status. So he had to watch his career almost end before his eyes and would probably never be revived; but as the cerebral assassin that he was, he was relaxed, was patient, worked even harder, until his big break finally came and The Game was born. The events of the Curtain Call didn't hold him back as he thrived forward in his career as a true company man, became a success and a legend. There were rumours since 2011 upwards that he was gonna take over the company, and oh let's not forget he married the boss's daughter, but I believe she loved him too. He did everything right, he saw the future, he was the right guy to move the company forward away from the chairman who's villainous character was blurring into real life and everyone wanted to leave. He created NXT. We were glad and gave him good marks. He was the president of talents relations, he was the COO of the company. It was all him and we kept waiting for the time and moment when his creativity would implented, and then... Disaster struck, Vince employed Mr Khan and he gained so much power, the VP of talents relations replaced him and he lost that job. Nobody likes Laurenitis, but not only was he the new president but there was also Bruce Prichard, kissing Vince's butt and telling Vince all he needed to hear and got more power, influence and money as a result. No one liked the duo of Johnny and Bruce, hell, they were even referred to as perverts by female wrestlers. Vince took over HHH's creation while Bruce ran it to become 2.0, a sorry and nauseating version of the actual NXT. It couldn't get worse, or could it...? HHH was struck with an illment that almost took his life, his wife left work as many claimed her services weren't needed anymore. Thank God he survived. He stayed at home with his family and began to see life in a different light. What was the use of the power, the need to have it all at all cost when all that could be taken away from you in a moment. He cried on live TV. He made ammends(check out his photo with his arch nemesis and rival Scott Steiner at Hall Of Fame ceremony). He might not have been at the top again like he has always been and always wanted to be or had his dreams and goals fulfilled, but he had what actually mattered in his life, his wife and kids. To him that would have been a good ending, but God or life had more plans for him. The evil people got caught up in their own sins in one of the most defeating and degrading ways possible, an illicit affair with an employee and bribery. And just like that one by one the evil group was brought down, from big Johnny to Kevin Sullivan and eventually Vincent Kennedy Mcmahon. The guy who took his job as president of the talents relations was fired and the rightful owner given back. The position of head of creative of NXT was returned back to original and rightful person and not just in NXT but the whole WWE. HHH and his wife now run the company. It's a great story about the importance of patience and meekness. It is a sweet redemption story that only life can write.
Plus did I tell you guys that WWE's stock jumped up as HHH assumed office?

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:35pm On Jul 25, 2022
luizpippo:

If RAW update no dey tomorrow, DSS fit arrest you o cheesy

Hei grin
E never reach laidat nau boss
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:35pm On Jul 25, 2022
ValeeLove:
you mean like this?

You Gerrit
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:39pm On Jul 25, 2022
ValeeLove:
Its a feel good story. The type that only the unpredictable hands of life can write. It's a story of redemption. He worked his butt off to get to the top of the ladder, yes he was greedy, but he deserved the happy ending nonetheless. He had to be punished and humiliated for something he barely did while the chief perpetrators went scott free because they had what he didn't have at that time - status. So he had to watch his career almost end before his eyes and would probably never be revived; but as the cerebral assassin that he was, he was relaxed, was patient, worked even harder, until his big break finally came and The Game was born. The events of the Curtain Call didn't hold him back as he thrived forward in his career as a true company man, became a success and a legend. There were rumours since 2011 upwards that he was gonna take over the company, and oh let's not forget he married the boss's daughter, but I believe she loved him too. He did everything right, he saw the future, he was the right guy to move the company forward away from the chairman who's villainous character was blurring into real life and everyone wanted to leave. He created NXT. We were glad and gave him good marks. He was the president of talents relations, he was the COO of the company. It was all him and we kept waiting for the time and moment when his creativity would implented, and then... Disaster struck, Vince employed Mr Khan and he gained so much power, the VP of talents relations replaced him and he lost that job. Nobody likes Laurenitis, but not only was he the new president but there was also Bruce Prichard, kissing Vince's butt and telling Vince all he needed to hear and got more power, influence and money as a result. No one liked the duo of Johnny and Bruce, hell, they were even referred to as perverts by female wrestlers. Vince took over HHH's creation while Bruce ran it to become 2.0, a sorry and nauseating version of the actual NXT. It couldn't get worse, or could it...? HHH was struck with an illment that almost took his life, his wife left work as many claimed her services weren't needed anymore. Thank God he survived. He stayed at home with his family and began to see life in a different light. What was the use of the power, the need to have it all at all cost when all that could be taken away from you in a moment. He cried on live TV. He made ammends(check out his photo with his arch nemesis and rival Scott Steiner at Hall Of Fame ceremony). He might not have been at the top again like he has always been and always wanted to be or had his dreams and goals fulfilled, but he had what actually mattered in his life, his wife and kids. To him that would have been a good ending, but God or life had more plans for him. The evil people got caught up in their own sins in one of the most defeating and degrading ways possible, an illicit affair with an employee and bribery. And just like that one by one the evil group was brought down, from big Johnny to Kevin Sullivan and eventually Vincent Kennedy Mcmahon. The guy who took his job as president of the talents relations was fired and the rightful owner given back. The position of head of creative of NXT was returned back to original and rightful person and not just in NXT but the whole WWE. HHH and his wife now run the company. It's a great story about the importance of patience and meekness. It is a sweet redemption story that only life can write.
Plus did I tell you guys that WWE's stock jumped up as HHH assumed office?

Great write up man, Kudos.
I believe Netflix or one streaming platform would pick this story up one day.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:16pm On Jul 25, 2022
pu7pl3:

You Gerrit
lol. cheesy
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:17pm On Jul 25, 2022
pu7pl3:

Great write up man, Kudos.
I believe Netflix or one streaming platforms would pick this story up one day.
thanks. Hopefully. Lol.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:02pm On Jul 25, 2022
ValeeLove:
thanks. Hopefully. Lol.

Now let's hope for better innovations and decision making.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:25pm On Jul 25, 2022
Guys make sure you watch SummerSlam.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1551673645977796612?t=Xlc--1x2uiCU1HdM1sYAgw&s=09

Valeelove this is the kind of promo you've been talking about right?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:24am On Jul 26, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Let’s talk Raw!

Daddy Dearest
Raw started hot tonight. As the first AVKM Raw (After Vincent Kennedy McMahon), there are multiple purposes here. One, let the world know the show goes on and no one, no matter who they are, stops said show. B, show a sense of urgency for this new era which leads to the third goal of being just different enough while still keeping things the same. Eventually, we may get new creative directions or at least a new creative process. Triple H isn’t Vince McMahon but it will take a while to truly carve out his own vision. To say nothing of the fact WWE’s main roster product has a different set of corporate necessities than NXT.
There are more corporate partners, sponsors, and responsibilities. How Haitch juggles all of that might get him a prime spot in Krusty the Clown’s clown school. But it will also give him a winning formula. Vince’s creative direction, for the most part, was abysmal in my eyes. I want wholesale changes but I’m also not holding my breath for them. That said, I’m always the optimist.
But I digress. Logan Paul and The Miz’s brawl set off the show but it was the next segment with Roman Reigns that truly took the opening from good to great. Roman basked in the crowd’s adulation and said he didn't feel like talking. Paul Heyman took the mic and does what he does best, including making at least one allusion to changes happening in WWE. This is Roman’s last match with Brock, something Heyman emphasized. So, yes, people, this is it. And maybe with Vince gone, there will be no more breaking Brock’s glass in case of emergency.
The segment hit another level when Theory hit the ring. While Reigns is tired of talking about Brock, he was quite the chatterbox for Theory. And with five words, Reigns put Theory in his place and possibly foreshadowed the young cat’s future:
“Your daddy’s not here anymore.”
That’s it. That’s all it took. Roman effectively showed the difference between he and Theory in that moment. In kayfabe and in reality, Theory was Vince’s chosen one. Will he sink or swim without him? Roman believes it’s the former. He doesn’t believe Theory knows what to do with the MITB briefcase and without Vince, needs someone to guide him. I don’t believe Roman buried Theory but this segment, along with the next first hour of the show, did the dude no favors. What Roman did show is Theory just isn’t on his level yet. Not on Brock’s level yet either.
And therein lies a larger problem within WWE and a very specific problem with Theory. No one is booked as being even with Brock and Roman. Theory is just another guy; he’s not presented as special. And when he’s sharing the same space as these two, he looks like a high schooler going against a professional.
The New York City crowd understood this almost immediately. New York is a tough town but if they’re not buying it, there’s a good chance no one else around this blue ball is either. I know I’m not. But I also went to college in Queens, so there’s that.
It was an intriguing opening segment that sold SummerSlam’s main event, showed Theory isn’t ready for primetime, and was meta in the best ways. For three hours, this was the only time that Raw truly felt like a go home edition for one of the big four events.

The Rest
Twinz
If you read anything above this line, you know the night didn’t start great for the man known as Theory. Following Reigns’ verbal assault, Theory found himself in Drew McIntyre’s clutches. Drew dominated the early minutes of the match, underlining Vince’s last pet project’s terrible night. Emphasis on “pet” because, yeah, that ish was weird. Theory fought his way back but not enough to keep the Scotsman down. Right when Drew regained momentum. Sheamus made his way to the proceedings because, duh, remaining a very big thorn in McIntyre’s side. The Brawlin’ Brutes—better name would be Wrestling Buddies—jumped Drew while Theory got his licks in for bad measure. Bobby Lashley’s music played and the All Mighty lent a hand to his former rival.
Adam Pearce, doing his best Teddy Long impression, called for a tag match between Sheamus & Theory and Bobby & Drew. And it was a good tag match with plenty of physicality. Sheamus got the award for moment of the match when he interrupted Bobby’s barricade spear spot with a hell of a knee lift. Ladies and gents, Sheamus watches the product!
Bedlam broke lose as it usually does in these matches, leaving Theory all alone in the middle of the ring with Lashley. But there was Dolph, dressed like Reservoir Dogs character, standing at the commentary table. Seriously, all the man did was use his phone. That reach out and touch someone effort distracted Theory enough for Lashley to slap on the Hurt Lock. You know what happened at that point.
Theory, after tapping out and licking his wounds, made his way to the back and caught a pair of superkicks from The Usos. A little payback from earlier. The Tribal Chief continued patronizing the young man in the most hilarious of ways.
There’s a lot here for anyone who likes unpacking things. But with Vince not only gone but the story seemingly getting worse by the hour, WWE is seemingly intentionally making Theory look like a chump who is in way over his head. I said before in this space that while he looks the part and can wrestle, his shortcomings get exposed when he’s working the mic with one of the top guys or just standing side-by-side. Maybe it’s a course correction. Or maybe I’m just looking too deep into it because the times, they are a changing.

My Tribe, Your Tribe
Montez Ford got his bloody moment. And no, not using that the way our British cousins do. Montez bled during this week’s main event. Tez, Dawkins, & Riddle wrestled The Bloodline. Son was leaking pretty profusely, but he kept going and wore the crimson mask like a champ.
Other than that, I wasn’t thrilled with this match. Which has nothing to do with its quality as much as it’s about the fact we’ve seen some version of The Street Profits vs. The Usos every week since Money in the Bank. There’s nothing new here from a story standpoint. We got it already: The Usos got the W at MITB in controversial fashion, Double J is the special guest ref in their rematch for basketball reasons, and the Profits hope their newfound aggression puts them over the top. Cool. Throwing in Reigns and Riddle harkens to their simmering beef but also opened the door for Seth Rollins to show at the end of the match and pounce. Reigns ended the match with a spear to all of Riddle’s abdomen, Seth sauntered to the ring, and enacted a few vicious curb stomps to his SummerSlam opponent. Seth showed his nastiness when he crushed Riddle’s skull on the outside floor and on a pair of steel steps. That, combined with the blood, showed a little more aggression than we’re used to on Raw.

Celebration
So, first off, shoutout to the Mysterio family for watching tv the correct way. Saints, every single one of them.
Before we got The Mysterios vs. The Judgment Day, Rey shared his feelings on 20 years in WWE. It was sweet, honest, and a great moment for one of the best to ever do it. Shoutout to Rey for just being consistently dope.
Now onto the match itself. Dom didn’t turn on his dad, they remixed the same ending from several weeks ago (Rey pulled Eddie’s chair trick after Finn tried the trick, but Rey followed it with a frog splash and a pinfall victory), and yeah, they got the W. But nothing moved the story forward...until Rey’s actual celebration with his family. The family lauded Rey, presented him with the original outfit he wore at Halloween Havoc ‘97, and then RHEA popped up. Yes, it’s in all caps because it’s great she’s back. Rey’s daughter wanted all that smoke with Rhea, but Judgment Day’s Nightmare wanted Rey. We got one of those vicious beatdowns courtesy of Rhea, Finn, and Damian, leaving Rey in pain and the rest of the family in anguish. I dug it a lot. And at SummerSlam, these two squads finally duke it out in a NO DQ match. Edge is showing up, right?

Alexa, Alexa
Alexa Bliss isn’t looking at Doudrop or Nikki A.S.H.; she’s looking past them. While the match wasn’t anything to write home about, the point of Alexa vs. Doudrop was clearly a blowoff. Alexa, in a pre-match interview, made her intentions clear: She wants the Raw Women’s championship. So, yeah, she dispatched Ms. Doudrop with plans for the fall.

Great Balls of Fire
For all the talk about balls, this was a flaccid segment.. Besides the fact we got Maryse and Logan verbally sparring about testicle size, complete with Maryse carrying a ball purse. Yes, a glittering purse shaped like testicles. Miz came down, talked a lot about his machinations for SummerSlam, Ciampa followed, and a dust up ensued. Look, WWE is misreading this thing with Logan Paul. Ciampa and Miz beat him down and rather than boo them, the NYC crowd chanted “one more time” after Miz’s Skull Crushing Finale. Maybe Nashville will feel differently, but last weeks’ crowd wasn’t completely on Paul’s side either.

Hard Core
Bianca Belair and Becky Lynch cut the talking this week. They just fought. That’s it. That’s all this feud needs at this point because there’s nothing new they can say to each other about each other. Let. Them. Fight.

Right and Wrong
Chad Gable is right: The Knicks suck. The MSG crowd can boo all they want but, come on, people. You see the product on the court.
Anyway, Alpha Academy faced the newly formed team of AJ Styles & Dolph Ziggler. Sorry, Big Bob. AJ appreciates what Dolph is doing with Theory and why. Dolph believes it’s his job to teach Theory a few lessons. To him. Theory didn’t earn a single accomplishment—thanks to Daddy—so yeah, why not take him down a few pegs? AJ is with that but Chad Gable thinks they’re jealous. So, for some reason, he and Otis defended Theory’s honor against these two rogues. It was a fine match but lacked any sense of “why.” Especially for the match before the main event. That said, AJ & Dolph have potential to be a very dope team.

This didn’t feel like a go home show. It had a spark when it started but then flamed out around hour three, which is an unfortunate curse of a three-hour show. Nothing happened here that truly got me excited for SummerSlam or was presented in a way to make this show feel different than MITB or special. In Wire parlance, this was a 40 degree day. And you know how people feel about those.

Grade: C

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:01am On Jul 27, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Four Long Months
Zoey Stark kicked off this week’s show kicking a passionate promo to the crowd. A tried and true wrestling trope is when the heel interrupts the returning babyface’s true crowd confessions. Meaning Cora Jade and Toxic Attraction interrupted Zoey’s tale of recovery, fear, and eventual joy. Zoey was less concerned with the Cora than the Toxic brew because she despises them for one and for two, she wants Mandy’s championship. Mandy, soon the woman with the fourth longest NXT Championship reign in the territory’s history, was more than happy to let Gigi Dolin handle her light work while screaming for respect on her name.
So let’s recap: Gigi and Zoey scheduled a match, Mandy and Zoey have a future match for the championship, Cora Jade is waiting in the wings, and there’s still the issue of Roxanne Perez. That’s a lot of plot, right?
Zoey vs. Gigi was too short. It’s something I say every week with NXT but yeah, just too short. Another match that got good as soon as it ended. Zoey looked good, and she almost got her hands on Mandy after picking up the W. Zoey needs to look like a legit threat to Mandy’s title and she does at the moment. But before she even got the chance to bask in her first singles victory in God knows how long, Cora Jade showed up to rain on her parade. Then came Roxanne Perez to extract a little revenge and make the save.
I like the pieces in play here and seamlessly connecting them. But I also want to see more of Zoey before we get to Heatwave.

The Rest
Trick Daddy
Grayson Waller and Trick Williams are perfect foils for Wes Lee at the moment. Wes wears his heart on his sleeve and is an incredibly sympathetic dude. Trick and Wes? Yeah, the exact opposite. The beauty of Wes and Grayson’s match this week is the wrestled at such a high quality that I completely forgot about Trick’s part in this story. So of course when he showed up, I said, “Duh.”
This match was all about character work, something NXT is pretty consistently good about. Wes showboated a bit but just a bit. He flashed his W (WESTSIDE!) to make Grayson eat his own words. And, of course, when Grayson took control, it was all about embarrassing his opponent. But all that emotion within Wes forces his hand; sometimes he goes too far and pays the price. Grayson, not taking advantage of his down opponent and talking way too much trash, ended up on the wrong end of an offensive onslaught. Wes then took to the top rope, because he felt all of that emotion, and found himself on the floor when Grayson recovered.
Trick showed up, disguised of course, and punched Wes in the back of the head with his fists wrapped in boxing gloves. The ref never saw it and it looked like a count out loss was in Wes’ future. But he got into the right at the count of nine, putting all of that heart on display.
But, yeah, it was too little too late. Grayson hit him with his stunner, walked away to the pay window, while Trick taunted Wes.
I do think this was a bit overbooked with Trick’s interference, the almost count out, and then the eventual W for Trick, but it worked for the most part. Mostly because of the sympathy and empathy for Wes.

Anatomy of a Murder
This was a weird segment with JD McDonagh. For those who missed it, JD bought himself a ticket to the show and introduced himself to the NXT audience. Proper like. He walked around talking about the number of Americans who die from eating popcorn, introduced himself to the timekeeper and Alicia, while explaining the amount of damage a bell hammer can do to the human anatomy. All of that was unnecessary. What worked, however, was JD’s interactions with Wade Barrett and Vic Joseph. His quiet menace and not so veiled threats to both men turned JD into a psychotic horror movie villain.
Bron came to the ring, talked about their upcoming match at Heatwave, and withstood a freaking headbutt from JD. Bron returned the favor in kind with a headbutt of his own, busting open JD’s lip. More psychotic horror movie stuff as JD not only laughed at the bleeding his own blood, but tasted it multiple times with his fingers and smiled.
Keep everything from the point JD introduces himself to Wade until the end of the segment and it’s a home run.

Diamond Mine
Julius Creed is a better leader for the Diamond Mine. That’s probably an understatement at this point. Creed is the heart and soul of the crew, so of course he’s the one who took the fall during the big main event tussle between Diamond Mine and Tony D’s Family. The moment I loved in this match, and wanted more of, was all eight men squaring off against each other in a fight. These teams don’t like each other and Diamond Mine has more to lose than Tony’s Fam. This shouldn’t just be a wrestling match; make it a brawl. The brawling didn’t last long so we got a solid wrestling match with a good story. One team, Tony’s Fam. is feeling. LdF is not only finding their footing within the crew, but they’re losing bits and pieces of their lucha flavor and dressing like goons. The Mine, on the other hand, is looking for anything they can just to keep them together.
And in the end, for a minute, it looked like the Mine was truly on the other side of a dark tunnel. Julius and Roderick Strong worked over Tony in harmony. Julius hit high, Roderick hit low. Tandem offensive move after tandem offensive move. The two guys always butting heads were finally on the same page.
Julius held Tony for a big knee from Roddy. But Tony moved, duh, and Roddy accidentally hit Julius. Tony dispatched a shocked Roderick and hit Julius with a Fisherman suplex.
Forget about it.
I keep saying I want the Diamond Mine story to end because it’s gone too long but this was a nice turn. It showed one last glimpse of hope and that, at full force and on the same page, Diamond Mine is still a force. Unfortunately for them, this chapter is probably permanently closed now. I want a Julius vs. Roderick match at Heatwave.

APOLLLOOOOO
Xyon Quinn vs. Apollo Crews was definitely a change of pace from the first match on this week’s show. Apollo, clearly a powerful cat, utilized his speed and agility vs Quinn rather than matching him or overpowering him. Until the end where he crushed Quinn with a spinebuster. The Green Goblin would be proud.
I’m not sure what they’re doing with Xyon at the moment. He keeps picking fight with people and losing those fights, while the story they’re telling with Apollo is one of someone climbing the ladder. Let’s just hope he’s done journaling. Solid match.

Suspended
Giovanni Vinci and Andre Chase put on a damn fine match this week. It went a lot longer than I predicted with plenty of near falls. Vinci won but this was a competitive bout. And it looks like they’re setting up a Nathan Frazer vs. Giovanni for the future.

Tag Titles??
WWE asked Alundra Blayze to come to Florida this week. Why? So the WWE Hall of Fame could pull the NXT Women’s Tag Team championship out of the trash can Cora Jade dropped it in last week. Cute reference that I popped for if only a bit. Alundra and Roxanne Perez announced a Fatal 4-Way next week for the NXT Women’s Tag championships: Chance & Carter, Ivy Nile & Tatum Paxley, Toxic Attraction, and Valentina Feroz & Yulisa Leon.

Kiss my Boot
Indi Hartwell and Arianna Grace wrestled the most meh match of the night. Once again, no real time to do much and the actual story going into it wasn’t much either. Arianna was tight because Indi eliminated her from last week’s battle royal. So she challenged her. That can work but the match itself needs to justify the simplicity. It did not. Indi won though, continuing this weird place she’s in at the moment due to all the story parts around her no longer existing within Florida’s state lines.

I enjoyed this week’s show. Not the most exciting show in terms of news, but plenty of forward movement and matches with stakes or setting up matches with much higher stakes. We got several video segments setting up future matches, including a preview of Lash Legend and Alba Fyre. The videos actually slowed down the action a bit for me, even if I understand their purpose.
But any week Apollo isn’t journaling is a win.

Grade: B+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:01am On Jul 29, 2022
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:08am On Jul 29, 2022
ValeeLove:
Una don watch this video?
Great funny stuff there I tell you.

https://www.facebook.com/352311701856399/posts/pfbid02ofyi3MKaXGbhjxeUYC9V8CiE6ikLxr1dFTRRs3f5D9fc3BNNJFreVw84Uj6nVxV5l/?app=fbl

Those boys tried grin grin grin
They got almost all the moves grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 2:14pm On Jul 29, 2022
pu7pl3:
Guys make sure you watch SummerSlam.

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1551673645977796612?t=Xlc--1x2uiCU1HdM1sYAgw&s=09

Valeelove this is the kind of promo you've been talking about right?
yeah. Something like this. You see, he's a former sport guy and so it's easier to just be himself; something lots of WWE guys have lost due to the excess acting classes, gimmicks assigning by creative and instructions from management. It's also why someone like Bianca seems natural, she wasn't a fan before and she was a real sportster.
If you want to see more of what promos should look like, AEW does something on their YouTube channels. I'll send 2 promo links for their recent ROH PPV. It's not scripted, or atleast less and they are being themselves.

Promos like these are IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4pOto8MYXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8zLOt4mRUg

Just imagine we had someone like Seth speaking this way and it felt natural and had a sport feel to it.
Hopefully we'll get there.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2022
ValeeLove:
yeah. Something like this. You see, he's a former sport guy and so it's easier to just be himself; something lots of WWE guys have lost due to the excess acting classes, gimmicks assigning by creative and instructions from management. It's also why someone like Bianca seems natural, she wasn't a fan before and she was a real sportster.
If you want to see more of what promos should look like, AEW does something on their YouTube channels. I'll send 2 promo links for their recent ROH PPV. It's not scripted, or atleast less and they are being themselves.

Promos like these are IT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4pOto8MYXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8zLOt4mRUg

Just imagine we had someone like Seth speaking this way and it felt natural and had a sport feel to it.
Hopefully we'll get there.

I've seen these promos already, I especially enjoyed the FTR own with the Briscoes
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 6:04pm On Jul 29, 2022
JULIUS CREED IS MONEYYYYY!!!

Definitely a future star in the making.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:23pm On Jul 29, 2022
pu7pl3:

I've seen these promos already, I especially enjoyed the FTR own with the Briscoes
yeah. WWE should learn to do something like that. They can also look at NXT UK for some examples.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:25pm On Jul 29, 2022
Notice how Austin Theory has become more watchable since he stopped the selfie gimmick? That's just how it works. Natural works best. We need to start unlearning and relearning.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:28pm On Jul 29, 2022
What do you guys think about Grayson Waller? I don't think he's the future, I know he's the future. There's barely anything I can think of that can stop him from getting to the top of the industry if all things go well. He's one of the very few(if not only) that gets natural and organic boos from the crowd and he knows how to use it. Unfortunately he doesn't get much mention from anybody. That sucks. Give me more Grayson Waller please.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:33pm On Jul 29, 2022
Bryan Danielson loosing to Daniel Garcia in his return match = By far the worst decision AEW has ever made.
Talk about stupidity from the booking department. Even WWE can't make this sort of mistake.

Meanwhile Ricky Starks seems to be having his mementum being reduced. That guy is the mini version of The Rock. I hope it all gets better for him.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:20pm On Jul 29, 2022
ValeeLove:
yeah. WWE should learn to do something like that. They can also look at NXT UK for some examples.

Check this one out

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1553027201913655296?t=JI8SavQVfs8RZ5LaVuvpDw&s=19

(1) (2) (3) ... (261) (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.