Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:45 AM

6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator (7340 Views)

4 Typical Signs Of A Failing Radiator / 6 Expressions Of A Failing Alternator / 5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Automotive1(m): 12:25am On Mar 05, 2018

The alternator is a part of your vehicles electrical system. It works with the battery to keep your car moving and all of the lights and electrical systems running.

A lot of battery power are needed to keep your vehicle running,so much power that if not for the alternator, the battery’s power reserve would not last.

So, your vehicle’s electrical system and battery depends on well functioning alternator. When the alternator malfunctions or stops working altogether, it can mean expensive repairs, inconvenience or a car break down.

Here is a list of six warning signs to look for in order to help avoid alternator failure:

1. Dimming Headlights
The work of an alternator is to power the starter, ignition and all of the electronic accessories in your car. A dyiing alternator may cause the power windows and power seats to operate a more slowly than usual.

Also,you will notice your headlights and dashboard lights beginning to dim.

2. Warning light
Most modern cars have a dashboard warning light that alerts you when the alternator is malfunctioning. Usually, the light will be shaped like a battery,or you see ALT (for alternator) or GEN (for generator). This light may only trigger if you are using multiple electrical components.

3. Weak or dead battery
An alternator charges and restore power to your car battery. If the battery is really weak or dead, a faulty alternator cannot bring it back to life.

To troubleshoot whether the issue is the alternator or the battery, just charge the battery and restart the vehicle.

If the battery is weak or dead, the car will continue to run but the lights will again become dim after a short time, indicating a problem with the charging system.

If the vehicle has difficulty starting after the battery is fully charged, the problem is likely from the alternator

4. Burning rubber smell
An alternator works in conjunction with a system of belts. If a belt is not turning freely, the excess friction will cause the belt to heat up, which produces a burning rubber smell and a lower alternator output.

5. Strange sounds
There are many different parts that spin inside your vehicle’s alternator to produce electrical current. If one of these parts becomes worn or breaks, this could cause a grinding noise.

If the bearings inside the alternator are worn-out or if the bushings that the alternator is mounted on have gone bad, a noise will be produced.

6. Visual inspection
If you are experiencing problems with the electrical system, the alternator itself might be fine because the problem could be with one of the belts connected to the alternator. Visual inspection of the engine compartment can determine if a belt is too loose,too tight, cracked or worn.

If you suspect your car may be having a problem with the alternator or is displaying any of the symptoms above, have the battery and alternator inspected by your trusted technician.

Source https://autojosh.com/6-warning-signs-failing-alternator/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Aldebaran(m): 6:30am On Mar 05, 2018
Thanks for sharing...

How to tell a dying battery from an alternator problem can be confusing at times

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by coken: 7:20am On Mar 05, 2018
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by MrTymlez: 7:20am On Mar 05, 2018
Morning

2 Likes

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by teepha: 7:22am On Mar 05, 2018
Good morning people... May this new week be fruitful to us

6 Likes

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Samanza89: 7:22am On Mar 05, 2018
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:22am On Mar 05, 2018
Thanks OP!
Nice piece

1 Like

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Tekecoms1(m): 7:23am On Mar 05, 2018
The car will be over speeding and tire will be deflationing.
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by akashi01(m): 7:25am On Mar 05, 2018
I don't even have a car...

3 Likes

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by justiniyke29: 7:26am On Mar 05, 2018
alternator rarely spoils
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by bbulldog(m): 7:38am On Mar 05, 2018
Good tip,

1 Like

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by paymentvoucher: 8:01am On Mar 05, 2018
ok

1 Like

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by potent5(m): 8:02am On Mar 05, 2018
justiniyke29:
alternator rarely spoils
I've changed my car alternator like 4 times in the last 12 months.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Badboiz(m): 8:03am On Mar 05, 2018
akashi01:
I don't even have a car...

You will own more than one someday.. Just stay focused

6 Likes

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Lajet: 8:15am On Mar 05, 2018
Good Thread

1 Like

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Dottore: 8:27am On Mar 05, 2018
Ok

1 Like

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Esosa01(m): 8:38am On Mar 05, 2018
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by justiniyke29: 9:44am On Mar 05, 2018
potent5:

then sumtin is wrong, it rarely spoils, infact i ave forgotten dat cars came with alternator self. its my fuel pump dat ave been changed lyk 6times or more in d last 2years, nd my stater once.
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by SilverYoo(m): 10:01am On Mar 05, 2018
Wat kud generate noise after I start my engine in the belt area, then in Lil time it goes off?. Could that be a sign of alternator issue?.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 05, 2018
Also, wen u disconnect d battery when d car is on slow and d engine immediately goes off.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by MrJames007: 10:33am On Mar 05, 2018
potent5:

Ahh! Throw dat kind of car away before it wrecks you completely.

1 Like

Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by MrJames007: 10:40am On Mar 05, 2018
justiniyke29:
then sumtin is wrong, it rarely spoils, infact i ave forgotten dat cars came with alternator self. its my fuel pump dat ave been changed lyk 6times or more in d last 2years, nd my stater once.
Then something is wrong with yours too. It rarely spoils. Mine has been pumping fuel for four years+ now wink
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by slim147(m): 10:41am On Mar 05, 2018
justiniyke29:
alternator rarely spoils

Bro alternator spoils easily ooo, that’s why they don’t give guarantee or warrantee on them. The dealers will tell you , it can spoil anytime
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by MrJames007: 10:42am On Mar 05, 2018
SilverYoo:
Wat kud generate noise after I start my engine in the belt area, then in Lil time it goes off?. Could that be a sign of alternator issue?.
That should be coming from your belt.
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by Adagba1: 11:20am On Mar 05, 2018
What is an average price for Honda alternator
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by justiniyke29: 3:06pm On Mar 05, 2018
MrJames007:
Then something is wrong with yours too. It rarely spoils. Mine has been pumping fuel for four years+ now wink
lol, i know bcus i have bought toks nd new ones. but dis last one i got by myself has lasted 4 about 4months now so let me watch.
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by justiniyke29: 3:10pm On Mar 05, 2018
SilverYoo:
it could be from one of the pulleys or the belt itself if its slack.
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by olumide4christ: 5:06pm On Mar 05, 2018
potent5:

If I may ask, what brand and model of car is this?
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by potent5(m): 6:45pm On Mar 05, 2018
olumide4christ:

If I may ask, what brand and model of car is this?
Ford mondeo, 2003
Re: 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator by akashi01(m): 11:35am On Mar 06, 2018
Badboiz:

You will own more than one someday.. Just stay focused

Thanks bro and you too! cool

(1) (Reply)

Custom duty for Toyota Camry 2004. / Mercedes W203 C230 Kompressor - What Is This Car Like In Nigeria / When Do You Really Overspeed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.