Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,845 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning (50483 Views)

Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by alfredilly: 6:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Credits:

http://ngr.ng/itsekiri-names/
I a Yoruba man from Ilaje in Ondo State and I can relate with this names . Same meaning in Ilaje words. Itsekiri is no doubt a Yoruba dialect

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 6:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

You don't get it. he is saying they should use standard itsekiri spelling instead of Yoruba spelling. The spelling is what makes the language unique. so 'TS' is itsekiri while 'SH' is standard Yoruba.

Ts (ola) not sh (ola).
Ts(eyi) not Sh(eyi)
Ts(aye) not Sh(aye)
Ts(aninomi) not Sh(aninomi).

I am 100% certain you don't get my drift? Anyway, for you to know,the ‘ts' you so claim isn't a personal problem to me neither for other Yorubas that belong to my school of thought. But do you have the knowledge that Itsekiri are in Lagos as well? And they don't use ‘ts', in their names as the dialect within Lagos enclave has transform to the nearest standard Lagos Yoruba. Mind you,all Yoruba enclave have their dialect which is borne out accent diversion.

Note: if Itsekiri had been under same canopy of other Yorubas,the letters and spelling Will be inline with other Yorubas. It is just like inferring the British Prisoners that are today's Australian. Clearly, their accent is different but belong to the same family. Afrocentrism and their attitude of being unique at the detriment of their Race.

Cheers

3 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by alfredilly: 6:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

I get your point, just want to know the origin of the name , I already found out that Majemite is an itsekiri word, it's a common name in Urhobo.

Fregene Is also another common itsekiri name in Okpe.
Majemite, A yoruba person could easily translate that. Majente or Majekinte. Meaning May I not be disgraced.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by alfredilly: 6:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
tuoyoojo:
OP Omare bocor

nice work

u didn't add my brother's name o

oritseweyinmi
And with my Ilaje tongue I can intérprete that correctly. it means God got my back. Just like Fawehinmi. The only different here is Ifa in place of Oritse. Oritse means God. And that comes from Orisa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AreaFada2: 6:53pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Gorilla is Osia in Urhobo, While cutlass is Oda / Opia, Duck is Ikpukpuyeke but some part use Kpekpeye. But with all these similarities I still don't understand a bit of Bini language, don't know y

Lol. You have to listen better. I listen to languages generally. With time you get a hang of it. First is to know that there are similarities. Then also know that grammar are different. Then learn the simplest words: greetings, numbers, days of the week, etc. Curiosity.

As for Western languages I always gave myself 3 months to get the rudiments of it upon arriving in that environment: to be able to read newspapers, read letters addressed to me, etc. Such basic stuff. It is possible even if not easy.

In 9ja local languages face serious decline. I have suggested before that Edoid languages should make a joint effort. Since the languages will re-enforce others.

I make my kids listen to various Edoid languages videos/teaching on you-tube. When they see Urhobo people and say "Migwo", they are often surprised. grin cheesy

Better they understand bits of these languages than none. I tell them these languages have a common root in the distant past.

Same applies to Germanic & Romance languages for example. Knowledge of German makes English easier & Italian makes French easier to learn.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 7:07pm On Mar 06, 2018
AreaFada2:

Lol. You have to listen better. I listen to languages generally. With time you get a hang of it. First is to know that there are similarities. Then also know that grammar are different. Then learn the simplest words: greetings, numbers, days of the week, etc. Curiosity.

As for Western languages I always gave myself 3 months to get the rudiments of it upon arriving in that environment: to be able to read newspapers, read letters addressed to me, etc. Such basic stuff. It is possible even if not easy.

In 9ja local languages face serious decline. I have suggested before that Edoid languages should make I joint effort. Since the languages will re-enforce others.

I make my kids listen to various Edoid languages videos/teaching on you-tube. When they see Urhobo people and say "Migwo", they are often surprised. grin cheesy

Better they understand bits of these languages than none. I tell them these languages have a common root in the distant past.

Same applies to Germanic & Romance languages for example. Knowledge of German makes English easier & Italian makes French easier to learn.

Lol.. I get you.. now am trying to master Uvwie dialect, it's not an easy task considering the fact that most native speakers now speaks urhobo instead of Uvwie.

If I should be sincere with you, I find your language too fast, as in how can I understand such language if am not being taught?, what about you, do you understand other Edoid languages like Urhobo/isoko?, I doubt o. cheesy
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 7:09pm On Mar 06, 2018
onuwaje:

due to similarities between the Itsekiri and Yoruba Language the first generation lexicons used by the Itsekiris were 100% Yorubas. thanks to Rev. Omatsola of blessed memory who took the pain to help creating the Itsekiri alphabet et al.

Note: the Itsekiri is a Yoruba dialect that evolved into a tribe and by that its normal for a tribe to have its own distinct alphabets et al
thanks
Yeah, thanks to the Rev. Omatsola that wanted a distinct identity for you guys but as you can see,it will naturally collapse as the dialect with only be retained within spoken while the written will take its original root form. The point here is that the speakers of modern day Yoruba are in millions and survival of the Itsekiri written form will really struggle with the migration of your folks(Itsekiri) to other Yoruba town and their settlement in such areas won't allow the desire of yours become a reality. Have you forgotten, other Yorubas get married to Itsekiri too?Anyway, I understand your fears but it can't sustain your desire because among other reason you guys have Intermarriage issue to battle with, migration and IFA PRIESTS in your enclave that are always connected to larger Yoruba worldview and I am sure you know that IFA is a guide on core historical and for spiritual well being of Yorubas, which Itsekiri clan belonged to that school of thought.

Note: In as much as you and thousand others are devoted to schooling hundreds of thousand Itsekiri,then,the possibility is assured but if not,then, expect the inevitable, which is constant change.

Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by ariesbull: 8:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
Itshekiri barent Yoruba and we should respect that
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by fratermathy(m): 8:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
tojuola:

They are from delta state.... The best crude in nigeria are from their land too

That's a lie that Itsekiris use to delude themselves. The best crude oil in Nigeria is from Akwa Ibom. Ibom crude is hot cake. Infact, Itsekiri crude is not even the next best two that follows Ibom crude.

Quantity is not the same as quality.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by onuwaje(m): 8:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
Olu317:
Yeah, thanks to the Rev. Omatsola that wanted a distinct identity for you guys but as you can see,it will naturally collapse as the dialect with only be retained within spoken while the written will take its original root form. The point here is that the speakers of modern day Yoruba are in millions and survival of the Itsekiri written form will really struggle with the migration of your folks(Itsekiri) to other Yoruba town and their settlement in such areas won't allow the desire of yours become a reality. Have you forgotten, other Yorubas get married to Itsekiri too?Anyway, I understand your fears but it can't sustain your desire because among other reason you guys have Intermarriage issue to battle with, migration and IFA PRIESTS in your enclave that are always connected to larger Yoruba worldview and I am sure you know that IFA is a guide on core historical and for spiritual well being of Yorubas, which Itsekiri clan belonged to that school of thought.

Note: In as much as you and thousand others are devoted to schooling hundreds of thousand Itsekiri,then,the possibility is assured but if not,then, expect the inevitable, which is constant change.

Cheers

Reverend Omatsola was one of the first Itsekiri clergymen if not the first
i understand your plight but try and see the Itsekiri people for who they are.

and who are the Itsekiris. they are of Yoruba and Benin Origins

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AreaFada2: 8:12pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Lol.. I get you.. now am trying to master Uvwie dialect, it's not an easy task considering the fact that most native speakers now speaks urhobo instead of Uvwie.

If I should be sincere with you, I find your language too fast, as in how can I understand such language if am not being taught?, what about you, do you understand other Edoid languages like Urhobo/isoko?, I doubt o. cheesy
Lol. While we find Urhobo too fast. grin
Any language one does not understand seems fast.

Sadly I lost the little EdoidUrhobo/Isoko/Esan I knew as a kid. I was really good in Esan. Courtesy of the wives we married from those places and neighbourhood friends.

But without practice for a very long time, all gone. Pity. It reminds me of family friends that moved from the North then. The kids spoke only Hausa, some Afemai (parents were from Edo North) and very little English. Within a few years the kids lost Hausa language. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by fratermathy(m): 8:13pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Exactly my point, they can't just throwaway their unique identity to embrace the Oyo dialect, considering the fact that the itsekiris are not much, should they try that mistake, within 50years Oyo dialect will be the only dialect spoken in warri.

"Gh" is also common in Urhobo cheesy

Point of correction: In Itsekiriland, not in Warri. Warri is not synonymous with Itsekiriland. Iwere, can be used but not Warri. You can also say Warri kingdom, which is different from Warri City!

We have to emphasise things like this so as not to create wrong impressions.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 8:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
AreaFada2:

Lol. While we find Urhobo too fast. grin
Any language one does not understand seems fast.

Sadly I lost the little EdoidUrhobo/Isoko/Esan I knew as a kid. I was really good in Esan. Courtesy of the wives we married from those places and neighbourhood friends.

But without practice for a very long time, all gone. Pity. It reminds me of a family friends that moved from the North then. The kids spoke only Hausa, some Afemai (parents were from Edo North) and very little English. Within a few years the kids lost Hausa language. cheesy

Then you really didn't learn the language, cous I can't believe someone forgetting a language he understands over a short period of time.

I understand uvwie a lot, there was a time I left uvwie for a very long time, when I came back I was still able to communicate without any issue.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 8:20pm On Mar 06, 2018
fratermathy:

Point of correction: In Itsekiriland, not in Warri. Warri is not synonymous with Itsekiriland. Iwere, can be used but not Warri. You can also say Warri kingdom, which is different from Warri City!

We have to emphasise things like this so as not to create wrong impressions.

My bad, I actually meant Itsekiri land, my use of warri automatically means I am referring to itsekiri land. I also use warri when referring to urhobo land also, it just depends on the issue on ground.

But I will try my possible best to differentiate it next time, not everyone actually sees things from my angle.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AreaFada2: 8:22pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

Then you really didn't learn the language, cous I can't believe someone forgetting a language he understands over a short period of time.

I understand uvwie a lot, there was a time I left uvwie for a very long time, when I came back I was still able to communicate without any issue.

Lol. 30 years nor be short time ma. In fact my period of non-exposure is more than 3 times my period of exposure. Remember too that several European languages came after that childhood exposure. cheesy

Of course I didn't live in Urhobo/Isoko speaking town. It wasn't something I spoke daily. But at one point you could not say anything bad about me that I would not understand. Things just ring a bell now when I hear people speak.

Kids assimilate things fast as they build vocabulary. They also lose some fast to make way. Those not used are easily displaced/replaced.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by fratermathy(m): 8:25pm On Mar 06, 2018
onuwaje:

Nope! Itsekiris are not of Benin origins, only the royalty are! All Itsekiris are purely of Yoruba origins, with a few settlers from neighbouring groups. The Olu and his core chiefs are of Bini origin. That's all there is to it.

It's like the Ilorin case where the Ilorin people are Yorubas but the Emir and his core chiefs are of Fulani origins.

The Bini words that filtered into Itsekiri are mainly with respect to the monarchy and royalty. Ginuwa and his entourage were largely acculturated into the Yoruboid people at the time.

Point being that Itsekiris are genetically and historically Yorubas! They are not Bini people nor do they originate from there, save for a handful of royalties and other settlers.

6 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 8:34pm On Mar 06, 2018
AreaFada2:

Lol. 30 years nor be short time ma.

Of course I didn't live in Urhobo/Isoko speaking town. It wasn't something I spoke daily. But at one point you could not say anything bad about me that I would not understand. Things just ring a bell now when I hear people speak.

Kids assimilate things fast as they build vocabulary. They also lose some fast to make way. Those not used are easily displaced/replaced.

lol.. 30 years.. that's quite long. cheesy.. that's even enough to forget your name.. grin

Well am happy about the progress of Urhobo language considering the fact that Urhobo language is fast becoming a lingual franca in the Nigerian Comedy industry.

@Bolded very true, that's why the best time to teach your kids your language is when they are still very young.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by onuwaje(m): 8:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
fratermathy:

Nope! Itsekiris are not of Benin origins, only the royalty are! All Itsekiris are purely of Yoruba origins, with a few settlers from neighbouring groups. The Olu and his core chiefs are of Bini origin. That's all there is to it.

It's like the Ilorin case where the Ilorin people are Yorubas but the Emir and his core chiefs are of Fulani origins.

The Bini words that filtered into Itsekiri are mainly with respect to the monarchy and royalty. Ginuwa and his entourage were largely acculturated into the Yoruboid people at the time.

Point being that Itsekiris are genetically and historically Yorubas! They are not Bini people nor do they originate from there, save for a handful of royalties and other settlers.
we re on same page sir

the people of Okere are of Benin Origin given the fsvt their founder Ekpenede was a Benin warrior sent after Ginuwa led party
there are also few other settlements that were founded by the Itsekiri Royals who have Benin roots in them.

so we re on d same page Sir

3 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AreaFada2: 9:21pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

lol.. 30 years.. that's quite long. cheesy.. that's even enough to forget your name.. grin

Well am happy about the progress of Urhobo language considering the fact that Urhobo language is fast becoming a lingual franca in the Nigerian Comedy industry.

@Bolded very true, that's why the best time to teach your kids your language is when they are still very young.

Lol.

Urhobo is really going places in comedy and music.

I think more people should discover Benin & Urhobo movies. Really improving fast.

I liked watching Enaiso, Chuvwako & Eya Egagan, Akponaguma dance film, Urueme Esiri, etc.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 9:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
AreaFada2:

Lol.

Urhobo is really going places in comedy and music.

I think more people should discover Benin & Urhobo movies. Really improving fast.

I liked watching Enaiso, Chuvwako & Eya Egagan, Akponaguma dance film, Urueme Esiri, etc.

We need to do more on our movies, the movies are all about "oba", just one story line (Bini movies), urhobo are slacking behind when it comes to that.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by AreaFada2: 9:49pm On Mar 06, 2018
Efewestern:

We need to do more on our movies, the movies are all about "oba", just one story line (Bini movies), urhobo are slacking behind when it comes to that.

Lol. Now it is widening o. Many about everyday life. Some are now even in English. We have a problem of reaching a wider audience with a smaller population. People just need to be aware and patronise. In reality there are far more Asaba/Igbo Nollywood films with Igwe/Prince/Princess stories. In in terms of percentage. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by SoldierBoy1(m): 10:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
saintkeppy:

Ok. I can get the meaning now, thanks
I know Itsekiri get yoruba &bini root from their names &maybe the way they speak.

Nigerian Singer, Omawunmi is from there too &her name sounds yoruba.

You're welcome Bro......... Yeah Omawumi means same thing as Omowumi
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by alfredilly: 10:24pm On Mar 06, 2018
To buttress all this points MOPENRE is a name any itsekiri person can relate with. It is also pronounced and spell as such in ilaje language, and in Yoruba , MOPINRE meaning " I CHOOSE THE GOOD FORTUNE"...Does this clear any doubt.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 10:51am On Mar 07, 2018
onuwaje:

I am not too sure about your point on ‘plight?', Certainly Bini-Edo,Urhobo etc do have cultural influence on Itsekiri. Even at this,the royal blood that is of Bini is even a Yoruba descent(Oranmiyan descendants). What ever your perceived anger toward Yoruba is best known to you. South Africa Afrikaners are Dutch descendants despite their migration to Africa for close to 500 hundred years or more and never shy away from it. But on NL, I see you and perhaps few others championing a cause that does not exist in Real life.

I will advice you to read more from ‘Olomu', an Itsekiri man who is the Owner of the blog known as ‘globalpeacearithmetic'. Perhaps, it will do you more advantage to channel your energy toward enhancing your clan's better alliance via productivity and other business opportunity with other Yoruba enclave which is due to language and historical link.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by onuwaje(m): 11:38am On Mar 07, 2018
Olu317:
I am not too sure about your point on ‘plight?', Certainly Bini-Edo,Urhobo etc do have cultural influence on Itsekiri. Even at this,the royal blood that is of Bini is even a Yoruba descent(Oranmiyan descendants). What ever your perceived anger toward Yoruba is best known to you. South Africa Afrikaners are Dutch descendants despite their migration to Africa for close to 500 hundred years or more and never shy away from it. But on NL, I see you and perhaps few others championing a cause that does not exist in Real life.

I will advice you to read more from ‘Olomu', an Itsekiri man who is the Owner of the blog known as ‘globalpeacearithmetic'. Perhaps, it will do you more advantage to channel your energy toward enhancing your clan's better alliance via productivity and other business opportunity with other Yoruba enclave which is due to language and historical link.
what makes you think i have a perceived anger towards the Yoruba ?

ur just twisting things up bro
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by beevee1: 1:51pm On Mar 07, 2018
onuwaje:
My fellow itsekiri please let always try and spell our name properly and not the Yoruba form despite the fact that we have similarities in our dialect the spelling are totally different, please let's try and correct ourselves

Tseyi not Sheyi
Tsaye not Shaye
Tsaninomi not Shaninomi
Tsola not Shola
Tsolaye not Sholaye
Tsegbone not Shegbone
Tsemaye not Shemaye
Omatseye not Omasheye
Omatsola not Omashola
Totseoma not Tosheoma
Tetsola not Teshola
Oritsetsegbemi not Oritseshegbemi
Omawumi not Omowumi
Actually the Sh sound is a dotted S and not Ts as is now the norm.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by beevee1: 1:56pm On Mar 07, 2018
saymax:

What about Oritsematosan and Toristeju? What do they mean?
Oritsematosan means God knows best or God knows what is good
Toritseju means God's own is better or literally God's own is more or should come first
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by beevee1: 1:59pm On Mar 07, 2018
UnknownT:
Oritsejolomi should mean God of Prosperity abi?
Oritsejolomisan means God has prepared (made) me to be better (good)
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by beevee1: 2:08pm On Mar 07, 2018
profosa:
What is the meaning of Etsefoaghan and Eyemisan
Etseofoaghan means it's not their fault (I nor blame them nor be their fault)
Eyemisan means my life is better (My life don better)
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by beevee1: 2:14pm On Mar 07, 2018
saintkeppy:
What's the meaning of Oritsefemi, Oritsejafor,

I bin get 1 fine babe that time for skool &her name was Tosan &My guys for Dept. back then in Skool were Abayomi &Yemi, when they told me they'all from Delta, I quickly identify them as Itsekiris &they Were suprise how i got to know.

They were part of the many warri friends I had, ready to crack ur ribs at any time. grin

It was real fun to be around them..
Oritsefemi means God wants me
Oritsejafor means one cannot talk because of God
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by beevee1: 2:16pm On Mar 07, 2018
charleoj:
what's the meaning of oritsewenoma?
Oritsewenoma means its God that owns a child (Its God that gives children)
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by saintkeppy(m): 2:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
beevee1:

Oritsefemi means God wants me
Oritsejafor means one cannot talk because of God
. OK, now I know, thanks a lot, are you from there?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chidinma Or Chidimma? / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.