Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning (50482 Views)

Isoko Names And Their Meaning / Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / 60 Igbo Names & Their Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 7:54pm On Mar 07, 2018
onuwaje:

what makes you think i have a perceived anger towards the Yoruba ?

ur just twisting things up bro
I am not a trouble shooter nor egocentric person and I didn't twist as you accused me but because of your Itsekiricentric at the detriment of the situation as it is in reality is the reason you have such thought. But honestly , I mean no harm but being a realist. And truthfully, I will advice you with your tremendous knowledge to channel your energy toward your unification with your relative family in all Yoruba land if you desire such.Perhaps, you might be from one of the legendary Yoruba lineage,which is larger than Itsekiri history. But if you find Itsekiri as too unique beyond Yoruba world ,then,I doff my hat on your different Itsekiri Identity quest without hatred from my likes .

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 6:09am On Mar 08, 2018
I want an honest reply from anyone who knows.

What is the population of Itsekiris?

400K maybe 500K?
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by onuwaje(m): 6:40am On Mar 08, 2018
scholes0:
I want an honest reply from anyone who knows.

What is the population of Itsekiris?

400K maybe 500K?

it is believed that the number of Itsekiris are in the range of 800k-1.5m in Delta State along. the Diaspora population cannot be fixed at this point
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 7:59am On Mar 08, 2018
onuwaje:

it is believed that the number of Itsekiris are in the range of 800k-1.5m in Delta State along. the Diaspora population cannot be fixed at this point

Let us do some extrapolation from the 2006 National Population census

Warri North - 137,200
Let's assume it is 65% Itsekiri. = 89,180

Warri South-West - 116,681
Approx 45-50% Itsekiri = 58,340

Warri South = 303,417
Approx 34-40% Itsekiri = 91,025

Scattered communities in Ethipe west, Sapele, Udu, Uvwie
Lets say another 65,000

That is about 240,000

Lets assume an annual growth rate of 3.25% btw then and 2017

The population now should be around 470K now. (For Delta state Alone)
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by onuwaje(m): 8:32am On Mar 08, 2018
scholes0:

Let us do some extrapolation from the 2006 National Population census

Warri North - 137,200
Let's assume it is 65% Itsekiri. = 89,180

Warri South-West - 116,681
Approx 45-50% Itsekiri = 58,340

Warri South = 303,417
Approx 34-40% Itsekiri = 91,025

Scattered communities in Ethipe west, Sapele, Udu, Uvwie
Lets say another 65,000

That is about 240,000

Lets assume an annual growth rate of 3.25% btw then and 2017

The population now should be around 470K now. (For Delta state Alone)

first we shud look at the numbers of Itsekiri communities in the d 3 Warri LGAs... as compared to the other tribes whose communities re also found within the confines. and we shud also look at the numbers of Indigenes (not residents) who re from that place..

and what indices or mathematical law did u use for ur growth projection rate cos i need to understand.
cheers
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 9:14am On Mar 08, 2018
onuwaje:

first we shud look at the numbers of Itsekiri communities in the d 3 Warri LGAs... as compared to the other tribes whose communities re also found within the confines. and we shud also look at the numbers of Indigenes (not residents) who re from that place..

and what indices or mathematical law did u use for ur growth projection rate cos i need to understand.
cheers

it is clearly tabulated, it is all assumptions.

Even if we assume all the three warri LGAs are 100% itsekiri as t 2006, the number still can't be more than 600K back then.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by onuwaje(m): 9:42am On Mar 08, 2018
scholes0:

it is clearly tabulated, it is all assumptions.

Even if we assume all the three warri LGAs are 100% itsekiri as t 2006, the number still can't be more than 600K back then.

that is why i said it is believed.. if u read my statement earlier Sir.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by urahara(m): 5:20pm On Mar 08, 2018
AreaFada2:

Sure, Urhobo is very rich in deed. I hear words in Urhobo language that I used to hear old Benin people use like 3 decades ago. I used to listen as a kid. People over 90 then. All gone now.

These Urhobo words are ancient Edoid words. Would have been regular words in Benin centuries back.

Those old Benin people called coconut "kokodia" instead of Ivin as it is called today. God as "Oghene-Osa" instead of Osanobua commonly used today. And many others.

So within two generations, you can see how a language changes quickly.

interesting

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by odigbosky(m): 12:19am On Mar 20, 2018
scholes0:

errrm, are you sure Edema is an Edo name?

I have never seen any Benin man called Edema before, The only Edemas I know are Itsekiris,some from Ondo state and one guy from Ijebu waterside.

Yes i have two Edemas as friends
one Edo and Itsekiri

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by odigbosky(m): 12:25am On Mar 20, 2018
asamaigho:

Efe don't twist itsekiri names and meaning, EDEMA IS Does Not HAVE ANY CONNECTION TO EDO language.
ONLY PEOPLE OF ITSEKIRI,ILAJE,OWO,AND IJEBU BEAR SUCH NAMES.

AND IT IS VERY UNFORTUNATE OF U TO SAY " any itsekiri wordthat has no Yoruba origin is either borrowed from Edo or urhobo".
that's an insult.

i know a Benin guy whose name is Edema this one sure die.....infact i lived next to him for and his family for almost 4 years.
Have you notice the similarity between the Benin name Ehengbuda and the itsekiri own of Ekengbuda....

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by scholes0(m): 12:47am On Mar 20, 2018
odigbosky:

Yes i have two Edemas as friends
one Edo and Itsekiri

Are you saying he is mixed?
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by odigbosky(m): 1:40pm On Mar 20, 2018
scholes0:

none of them are. the Benin dude is full Benin and the itsekiri dude is full Itsekiri

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by onuwaje(m): 6:45pm On Mar 20, 2018
odigbosky:

none of them are.
the Benin dude is full Benin
and the itsekiri dude is full Itsekiri

Before tribalism and politics separated us it was common to name our people our tribes due to goodwill and friendship
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Oritzy: 1:03am On May 08, 2018
scholes0:

My name is Edema and I'M m a full blooded Itsekiri. The name Edema is a short for. Of the actual name I believe the Edemas in Benin and Ilaje might have their full spellings different but with a short form of Edema also. Like for me mine is EDEMAYIBO we have some others that are Edemadundun and Edemadiden.
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Emilokoiyawon: 3:44am On May 08, 2018
When Yoruba people migrate too far east what you get is Itshekiri and olukunmi

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Ecee0147: 11:19am On Feb 22, 2019
Guys so I'm itsekiri I've never been to home tho..
I've been in the north all my life ..and it so sad but I cant speaking the language.

My itsekiri name is Oritsejubemi will greatly appreciate if someone could help with the meaning of the name. Thanks
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by jadelord(m): 10:31am On Mar 25, 2019
I met a guy once in school, whose name is Jolomi and I naturally thought he was Itsekiri as that is my name. But got a rude awakening to learn, from him, that he was not Itsekiri but Ilaje. We talked some more and found that we had about 80% similarity dialectically.

And this got me questioning the part of history that says we are from the Bini kingdom. We don't dress alike, our language is at different opposites. And so questioning became inevitable. More so, I was born and brought plus in Lagos and have a very apt grasp of the Yoruba language to know that Itsekiri and Yoruba are similar and that chance meeting with that Ilaje guy laid it to rest that Itsekiri must have a strong link with the Yorubas.

Then I began to ask and NAIS (national association of Itsekiri students) began to reason along this line, as only the royal family's link is strongest to the Edo royal throne, as observed by their dressing and titles and royal knives (eben).. giving credence to history but ending at the palace.

Therefore, I personally have come to the conclusion that the Itsekiris are migrant fishermen who left the coastal Ilaje settlement to settle in the we are now, mixed cultures and aligned principle with our neighbours and flourished as a people.

I am Jolomi, I have a sister named Gbubemi and these are also Ilaje names.

There is a town called Igbokoda in Ondo (Ilaje town) my mom is from Gbokoda in Warri North.

So I submit that the proud people of Itsekiri are from the Ilaje tribe.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Dartilo(m): 11:07am On Mar 25, 2019
And oranmiyan was also a descendant of oduduwa who was also a descendant of the last ogiso of igodomigodo now known as Benin

Olu317:
I am not too sure about your point on ‘plight?', Certainly Bini-Edo,Urhobo etc do have cultural influence on Itsekiri. Even at this,the royal blood that is of Bini is even a Yoruba descent(Oranmiyan descendants). What ever your perceived anger toward Yoruba is best known to you. South Africa Afrikaners are Dutch descendants despite their migration to Africa for close to 500 hundred years or more and never shy away from it. But on NL, I see you and perhaps few others championing a cause that does not exist in Real life.

I will advice you to read more from ‘Olomu', an Itsekiri man who is the Owner of the blog known as ‘globalpeacearithmetic'. Perhaps, it will do you more advantage to channel your energy toward enhancing your clan's better alliance via productivity and other business opportunity with other Yoruba enclave which is due to language and historical link.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 8:00pm On Mar 25, 2019
Dartilo:
And oranmiyan was also a descendant of oduduwa who was also a descendant of the last ogiso of igodomigodo now known as Benin

I mock your ignorance Mr man. I, know the history of oranmiyan more than you because i am part of his descendants.

In fact, Oba Bini gave a gift to a descendant of Oranmiyan who was a warrior king known by the name Odelu ikan in Eastern Yoruba land,when he shook the whole Eastern Yoruba as a prince- king mercenary.

2 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Dartilo(m): 8:30pm On Mar 25, 2019
How does this prove anything

Olu317:

I mock your ignorance Mr man. I, know the history of oranmiyan more than you because i am part of his descendants.

In fact, Oba Bini gave a gift to a descendant of Oranmiyan who was a warrior king known by the name Odelu ikan in Eastern Yoruba land,when he shook the whole Eastern Yoruba as a prince- king mercenary.

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 8:45pm On Mar 25, 2019
Dartilo:

How does this prove anything

All I just stated only proved what had been said earlier that you overrated your Yoruba king at the detriment of the truth. And there is no where Oba Bini was Ogiso lineage. Nothing Oba is igodomigodo in Edo until Yoruba arrived. AndYoruba taught you all you acquired as civilization.

4 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Dartilo(m): 9:25pm On Mar 25, 2019
[qquote author=Olu317 post=76983032]

All I just stated only proved what had been said earlier that you overrated your Yoruba king at the detriment of the truth. And there is no where Oba Bini was Ogiso lineage. Nothing Oba is igodomigodo in Edo until Yoruba arrived. AndYoruba taught you all you acquired as civilization.[/quote]

Stop allowing sentiment to take the better part of your IQ, yoruba brought civilisation to benin u r mkin me laff, yes we agree that oranmiyan was the first oba of benin of the second dynasty but we r also telling you that oduduwa was a prince and the first son of ogiso owodo the last ruler of the first dynasty

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 9:47pm On Mar 25, 2019
Dartilo:
[qquote author=Olu317 post=76983032]

All I just stated only proved what had been said earlier that you overrated your Yoruba king at the detriment of the truth. And there is no where Oba Bini was Ogiso lineage. Nothing Oba is igodomigodo in Edo until Yoruba arrived. AndYoruba taught you all you acquired as civilization.

Stop allowing sentiment to take the better part of your IQ, yoruba brought civilisation to benin u r mkin me laff, yes we agree that oranmiyan was the first oba of benin of the second dynasty but we r also telling you that oduduwa was a prince and the first son of ogiso owodo the last ruler of the first dynasty

Sentiment over fact? You are a boyig joke ! My advice is for you tostop your baseless opinion. what exactly was the religion of your own odudua grin? You people just make yourselves a laughing stock because Odudua didn't exist in Nigeria but a family identity.

Do you think I posit as you are? The odudua you people are lying about isn't an Igodomigodo because, Number 1 or numerical 1 meaning in igodomigo is different from the man's language.

The language dudua spoke is not igodomigodo,how does he now become igodomigodo descendant?

In fact,
What is the ancient word for 1(one) in igodomigodo?

What is the ancient word for anger in Igodomigodo?

Stop this obvious fact that has kept you people relegated to the back because you decided to become usurper in 21st century grin. Bloody clowns.

6 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Opiletool(m): 11:04pm On Mar 25, 2019
Olu317:

Sentiment over fact? You are a boyig joke ! My advice is for you tostop your baseless opinion. what exactly was the religion of your own odudua grin? You people just make yourselves a laughing stock because Odudua didn't exist in Nigeria but a family identity.

Do you think I posit as you are? The odudua you people are lying about isn't an Igodomigodo because, Number 1 or numerical 1 meaning in igodomigo is different from the man's language.

The language dudua spoke is not igodomigodo,how does he now become igodomigodo descendant?

In fact,
What is the ancient word for 1(one) in igodomigodo?

What is the ancient word for anger in Igodomigodo?

Stop this obvious fact that has kept you people relegated to back because you decided to become usurper in 21st century grin. Bloody clowns.

Bunch of deluded cretins on a lost course. I stop engaging them when one clown said aworis are not Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 6:43am On Mar 26, 2019
Opiletool:

Bunch of deluded cretins on a lost course. I stop engaging them when one clown said aworis are not Yoruba.

I can't agree but agree totally with you. They are not worth engaging.A boastful people whose history is entwined with Yoruba's descendants king who made them perpetual servants to the gods(Yoruba ancestors) in Edoland. No wonder,Ada,(sword) is seen as something from heaven grin because of the name attached to it.

On Awori issue,it is absolute ignorance on the path of these clowns who don't know their history, not to mention other people's. It is indeed pathetic.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 6:44am On Mar 26, 2019
Opiletool:

I can't agree but agree totally with you. They are not worth engaging.A boastful people whose history is entwined with Yoruba's descendants king who made them perpetual servants to the gods(Yoruba ancestors) in Edoland. No wonder,Ada,(sword) is seen as something from heaven grin because of the name attached to it.

On Awori issue,it is absolute ignorance on the path of these clowns who don't know their history, not to mention other people's. It is indeed pathetic.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Efewestern: 5:05am On Mar 29, 2019
jadelord:
I met a guy once in school, whose name is Jolomi and I naturally thought he was Itsekiri as that is my name. But got a rude awakening to learn, from him, that he was not Itsekiri but Ilaje. We talked some more and found that we had about 80% similarity dialectically.

And this got me questioning the part of history that says we are from the Bini kingdom. We don't dress alike, our language is at different opposites. And so questioning became inevitable. More so, I was born and brought plus in Lagos and have a very apt grasp of the Yoruba language to know that Itsekiri and Yoruba are similar and that chance meeting with that Ilaje guy laid it to rest that Itsekiri must have a strong link with the Yorubas.

Then I began to ask and NAIS (national association of Itsekiri students) began to reason along this line, as only the royal family's link is strongest to the Edo royal throne, as observed by their dressing and titles and royal knives (eben).. giving credence to history but ending at the palace.

Therefore, I personally have come to the conclusion that the Itsekiris are migrant fishermen who left the coastal Ilaje settlement to settle in the we are now, mixed cultures and aligned principle with our neighbours and flourished as a people.

I am Jolomi, I have a sister named Gbubemi and these are also Ilaje names.

There is a town called Igbokoda in Ondo (Ilaje town) my mom is from Gbokoda in Warri North.

So I submit that the proud people of Itsekiri are from the Ilaje tribe.

Your experience isn't strange, It's a well known fact that Ilaje and Itsekiri share 80-90% language similarities. In fact an Ilaje man is more connected and related to Itsekiri than he is to someone from Osun or Lagos.

One fact you should note is that, the farther you go, the less you are related to them (Yoruba), for example Itsekiri might easily understand Ilaje but find it difficult to understand central Yoruba.

And not all itsekiri villages migrated from Ilaje, some like Omadino migrated from Ijebu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Biodun556(m): 9:17am On Mar 29, 2019
ipobarecriminals:
cool confam.Delta/Binis are oduduwa pikin

Run away Odua children grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by Olu317(m): 12:25pm On Mar 29, 2019
Efewestern:

Your experience isn't strange, It's a well known fact that Ilaje and Itsekiri shares 80-90% language similarities. In fact an Ilaje man is more connected and related to Itsekiri than he is to someone from Osun or Lagos.

One fact you should note is that, the farther you go, the less you are related to them (Yoruba), for example Itsekiri might easily understand Ilaje but find it difficult to understand central Yoruba.

And not all itsekiri villages migrated from Ilaje, some like Omadino migrated from Ijebu.

I find it hard to understand your view on this Yoruba-Ijekiri(Itsekiri )-Ilaje differentiation from your angle due to the itsekiri's present location. This is because, you are absolutely wrong over your position on the ‘farther you go the less you are related to them'. In fact, the farther you go the more you are related to Yorubas. The Eastern Yoruba dialects is the ‘itsekiri's dialect', irrespective of where one migrate from or toward. As it seens,migration has always been a must for Yoruba Princes, Priests,chiefs,warriors,hunters,farmers etc to a new enclave. The point here is that your assertion is completely contestable because each clan knows that they are of the same stock,irrespective of clan's or dialectical group's current name.

Typical example is, ‘Ode'(base,home,foundation) is a perpetual word in Yoruba ancient lexicon which is not shareable and it is maintained as the replica foundation of these people's settlement, wherever they seemingly migrated toward. Interestingly Bini does not use such word which showed that advent of Bini historical foundation was not seen as ‘Ode' , but a vassal Ule Ibinu( land of anger), which is a stretch of Yoruba strength. Furthermore, ‘Olu'
is a standard word for ‘Lord'. The name is seen as the absolute authority on all things, which apparently is another name alternatively used for kings,outside ‘Oba',which Yoruba kings and Itsekiri bears. Plainly, the Itsekiri settlement is basically Yoruba settlement and the more you move deeper into Eastern and central Yoruba, the more you see the connection.

It is important to verify the purpose of what connect all Yoruba together so that you can understand Yoruba identity, wherever and take note on tbisy fact that , not all people in Ilaje enclave are Ilaje but use such name to deceive people and claimed non Yoruba identity. A typical example is the Arogbo Ijaw clan who are married into Yoruba of Ilaje,Itsekiri etc descents and speak a variant Yoruba dialect ,yet they are not Yoruba because they have no Yoruba kingly lineage linked to ILEIFE,which can authenticate their identity but unfortunately, it doesn't exist. On a last note,the way the modern English drifted away from the archaic is the way non Yoruba will find it hard to see the dialects from its original form. Interestingly, the all yoruba dialects are still preserved.

1 Like

Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by fero007: 1:09pm On Mar 30, 2019
haryomikun:
I swear to God itsekiri is an offshoot of Yoruba language!!!

See the similarities na... Abidemi, agbeyegbe, Toritsefe and so many more!!

I don't think dey r yoruba offshoots o, cuz you saw similarities btw dem n yoruba? undecided dey are also great similarities between itsekiri and urhobo and ijaw, even edo and even Portuguese influence
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by fero007: 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2019
I don't ve time to explain it but itsekiris are not yorubas, 4get all dis noise we're making here online, anyone who has lived in warri will know there's a BIG diff btw itsekiri n yoruba culture(language aside), anyone judging ethnicity of a people based on language or old origin stories is not aware of the ethnic complexity of the south south, you can't just group everyone into a wazobia system like nigeria is trying to do

to understand better, apart from yoruba and itsekiri, also check out the diff btw the following tribes

Urhobo, Isoko, okpe
Efik, Ibibio, annang
Igbo, Ika, ikwerre
Ijaw, epie, ogbia
Bini, esan, etsako

B4 anyone will bring it up, yes! I know the difference between a DIALECT n an ETHNIC GROUP, and yes! dez r sets of diff ETHNIC GROUPS and NOT dialects of the same tribe, b4 someone wil bring example of ijebu n so on
Re: Itsekiri Names And Their Meaning by fero007: 2:48pm On Mar 30, 2019
Biodun556:

Run away Odua children grin grin grin

so will say bayelsa/rivers are odua children bcuz epie n degema speak an edoid language?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chidinma Or Chidimma? / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.