Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:48 PM

Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride (1356 Views)

Tension In Tivland Over Senator George Akume's Death / Save Nigeria Group/pastor Tunde Bakare To Plan Another “occupy Nigeria" Protest / Delta State South South Nigeria Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by snowdrops(m): 2:06pm On Apr 28, 2010
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8649035.stm

Women's groups in Nigeria are threatening to take legal action against a senator, following reports he married a 13-year-old Egyptian girl.

Ahmad Sani Yerima, 49, is reported to have married her at the national mosque in Abuja several weeks ago.

Female senators have promised to table for debate a petition from the groups calling for Mr Sani to be reprimanded.

Meanwhile, Nigeria's human rights commission has begun an investigation into whether the marriage is legal.

The BBC's Caroline Duffield in Lagos says Mr Sani is refusing to speak publicly about the matter.

He was the governor of Zamfara state and oversaw the introduction of Sharia law - the first state in the north to do so in 1999.

The petition, handed over to a group of female senators on Tuesday, wants the identity of the child, her age, the circumstances of her entry into Nigeria and the dowry paid to her family to be investigated.

The women's rights groups believe Mr Sani has broken the law, pointing to the Child Rights Act of 2003.

"When you marry them out at this early stage, is it because it is viewed as a commodity that can be easily disposed of and a new one acquired," Nigeria's Punch newspaper quotes Mma Wokocha, the leader of the coalition protesting about the marriage.

Newspaper reports have also accused him of having previously married a 15-year-old girl in 2006.

A spokesman for Nigeria's senate has insisted that the chamber does not comment of the personal affairs of individual members.
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by Nobody: 2:08pm On Apr 28, 2010
common man he is just doing what Muhammad did.

in fact Muhammad married a 9 year old.

So he has improved that life style. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by snowdrops(m): 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2010
frosbel:

common man he is just doing what Muhammad did.

in fact Muhammad married a 9 year old.

So he has improved that life style. grin grin grin grin
I wouldnt go down that path. We know how attacks on Mohammed evokes strong reaction here.

Senator Sani is a disgrace. The Nigerian parliament is an even bigger disgrace. How can they allow a paedophile continue as a senator of the federal republic of Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by vowiski(m): 2:12pm On Apr 28, 2010
Olodo poster, how can Nigeria protest?. LWKMD!!!
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by snowdrops(m): 2:13pm On Apr 28, 2010
You no well. Na me be the journalist we write am. cheesy
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 28, 2010
snowdrops:

I wouldnt go down that path. We know how attacks on Mohammed evokes strong reaction here.

Senator Sani is a disgrace. The Nigerian parliament is an even bigger disgrace. How can they allow a paedophile continue as a senator of the federal republic of Nigeria

I hear you.

I have been trying to be civil and balanced in my reports until me_aboki and gang came out with blazing guns.

Anyway back to the point, it is quite true that he is a sick individual but even more sickening is the silence from the seat of government. Too afraid to criticise him I guess.

So now it’s the people's turn. More importantly we want protests in his Zamfara state.
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by agathamari(f): 3:18pm On Apr 28, 2010
in the US or any "western" country this man would be called a pedoph/ile - here in nigeria he is a senetor.  truely truely sad
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by snowdrops(m): 3:19pm On Apr 28, 2010
As far as i know the culture of child bride is the norm in some section of the north. They fail to see anything wrong with it.
Fortunately/unfortunately it has taken Senator Sanis' shameful [interenational] wedding to bring this practice under the media microscope.
In a normal society he would not only be sacked as a senator but would be languishing in jail as we speak for child abuse.
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by isimili: 3:41pm On Apr 28, 2010
I must applaud the women for their passion to change things in Nigeria and completely condemn the abominable conduct of this child molester dressed as a lawmaker. I am not sure how he can sit there and call himself a lawmaker. I bet that he would not allow his own child to marry at such a young age sharia law or not.
This event brings to the fore the need for urgent debate about the poor representation of women in both houses of parliament. I believe that if we have at least the expected 38% of women Representatives in both houses another 20% men will join them in repealling any law which gives any man the right to molest a child and get away with it. i was so appalled to read about the consequences of young girls having children or sex so early in life and feel like vomitting at the thought of this man thinking that such conduct is good and can be condoned in today's world. the reps should not only table a motion for the investigation of his conduct but also his impeachment, prosecution for paedophilia and imprisonment too. He is an incredibly insane, self demeaning and ignorant man and should not be anywhere near any political office. Infact his family must have his head examined.
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by snowdrops(m): 3:46pm On Apr 28, 2010
isimili:

Infact his family must have his head examined.
LOL. Spot on.
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by chiozor: 3:58pm On Apr 28, 2010
Our Honorable Senators said we should go to court undecided
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by snowdrops(m): 4:06pm On Apr 28, 2010
Go and do what in court?
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by Blazay(m): 8:49pm On Apr 28, 2010
Still do not understand what the controversy is all about.
Could the reason be that the child-bride was imported and not locally made?

grin
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by ElRazur: 8:55pm On Apr 28, 2010
snowdrops:

TBQFH [To be quite fuccking honest] this is nairaland and I am not really worried. The worst will be a ban and bang, like that I will be back in a flash.

If Muhammed never married an immature baby, perhaps this issue will not forever be tagged with Islam? Personally, I will say fccuk anyone who throws a tantrum because the fact is mentioned. smiley
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 28, 2010
Blazay:

Still do not understand what the controversy is all about.
Could the reason be that the child-bride was imported and not locally made?

grin

Sit down and have a think.

A young giril of 13, just starting into life, has not finished school, still requires parental guidance.

Then a grandad cradle snatcher comes to wed this small girl, to destroy her future.

Cannot be right, whichever way you look at it.

Why does he not have taste for 16 year olds ? There are many of them.

He is a pervert.

It is because of this same behaviour which is even worse in Yemen , that young boys cannot find wives anymore because all the old men have married the young ones.

sick !

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms8tnn8klF8&hl=en[/flash]
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by snowdrops(m): 9:51pm On Apr 28, 2010
@ frosbel

very well said. good one.
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by haronky7: 10:36pm On Apr 28, 2010
The whole system is a big joke embarassed

How in the name of God did a man of his calibre manage to sneek into the Senate in the first place? This was a man who first single-handedly attacked the constitution of Nigeria by introducing sharia in a state that feeds on the Federal cake

Frankly speaking, i'm not surprised at this pervert, neither will I be surprised if at all he saw anything wrong in what he has done. I'm sure he would be wondering in the comfort of his house what the fuss is all about

Senator my foot!
Re: Nigeria Protest Over Senator's Child Bride by Pygru: 2:32am On Jul 17, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Goodluck Poses For Magazine !lol / Gbenga Daniel's Skyscraper That Re-defines The Landscape Of Abeokuta / Bribe Killer Cops Identified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.