Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright (17057 Views)

Hi. Nairalanders, Tell Us What You Do For A Living. / Why Do Men Have Problem With Helping A Fellow Man? My Experience. / Wish 5 Nairalanders A Merry Christmas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Viking007(m): 7:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
shugatee:
Go on stage and picture every one in the room naked
cheesy works for me till date.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
Knowledge they say us power. If you know what you're in there to present, you've conquered fright by 50%. The other is to practice with small audience and increase it bit by bit. Then finally the self determination to not give in for fright while on the stage

1 Like

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by segzyndpep(m): 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
I recommend the following books for you Sir....

- How to develop self confidence and influence people (By Dale Carnegie)

- The art of public speaking (by Dale Carnegie)

- Public speaking for Success (by Dale Carnegie)

I can give you personal suggestions here but I feel Dale Carnegie books will lead you into an in-depth walk into how you can become really confident and effective at public speaking. But remember, you must first believe in yourself before anyone else will believe in you. You must also condition your brain and MIND to agree with your affirmative belief in yourself before any major progress can be made.
You must first become what you want to become in your mind (your mental picture) before you can see it manifest in reality. Just try to build the mind of "I can do it" and engage your brain and mind to agree with you using the power of visualisations.
Picture yourself in your mind speaking with super confidence and with passion and engage yourselves with these books above.... With time, you will rise to become even better than you envisioned initially. Try it Man... All the best.

And never forget to keep practicing too.... wink

P.S: Quit the drugs. You don't need it.

Please where can I get the books,i need it badly also

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 8:01pm On Mar 06, 2018
Knowledge they say is power. If you know what you're in there to present, you've conquered fright by 50%. The other is to practice with small audience and increase it bit by bit. Then finally the self determination to not give in for fright while on the stage
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by sonnie10: 8:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
Dress comfortably. Know your topic and be excited about sharing you knowledge. You can hold a pen as a fidgeting object. Make occasional eye contact with individual audience. Practice more and more public speaking, it always gets better.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by DedeNkem: 8:03pm On Mar 06, 2018
Have your friends become your audience, go on stage and perform for them. Do it many times. And allow them to criticize you if they see any error.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by eevich: 8:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
snowden9:
Give up trying to be perfect and know that it is okay to make mistakes. Be natural, be yourself. Take deep breathes and finally, SPEAK.
You nailed it. That was, in fact, what made the difference for me. Accepting its ok to stutter or even stumble over your words in the middle of the speech. As long as you're able to recover composure and speak on, people are likely to forget any such glitches if you start well and then land smoothly.
Another thing I've noticed is that beginners believe that every bit of their nervous response, ie sweating, shaking of voice/lips, dry mouth/lips etc is visible to the audience.. That is rarely ever the case.. Just keep your mind on the subject and remember that you are more knowledgeable on it than most of the audience who are keenly listening to add to their knowledge repository... Best of luck @OP.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Twist4u: 8:12pm On Mar 06, 2018
Note that 85% of public speakers feel same way u do. only difference, they Change how u c the situation. 1. see talking on stage as a CONVERSATION n not a performance wit your audience. 2. Ask your audience questions (helps u transfer d fear 2 them n makes u bolder) 3.you must have a structure or pattern(eg Problem/opportunity, Solution, Benefit) of presentation. Structure give u 40% advantage 2 remember things. goodluck

1 Like

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by eevich: 8:15pm On Mar 06, 2018
thewritingtodo:

You never see wen chingum go dry, come dey cause dificulty in speaking..d tin go just glue yur teet togeda like dis. I once had a friend who experienced dry mouth syndrome on stage...his lips became pure white...assin, pure white! He looked like a voodoo priest on stage with no one paying attention to what he was saying..lolzz
grin grin cheesy. I wan die with laugh!!

1 Like

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by madgoat(m): 8:16pm On Mar 06, 2018
Mrkumareze:
To be a good public speaker you must overcome the pressure emanating from eye contact . First, try have non competitive talks like in primary or secondary schools . By doing this u 'll become stronger.

I have stage fright even when talking to kids in nursery class cry
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by piagetskinner(m): 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2018
maybe u don't have lots of friends or you're an introvert

practise in front of friends family etc...

I was once like that ...every time I stood in front of people or even to read the bible in bible study amongst brethren my chest will be doing gbim gbim...

but by Gods help I overcame

read the book " the art of public speaking" by Carnegie Dale

1 Like

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by skillet(m): 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2018
Medics007:
Hi everyone, please I need a help from people who struggle with stage fright and won. Facing the audience is a very big headache for me, which seems to be very impossible to overcome, so whenever I have to do it, I must take drugs to control my heartbeat, which I want to stop taking now. Please I need advice on on how to easily overcome stage fright without using drugs. Thanks in anticipation.

imagine everyone in the audience is naked. thats what i learnt in film school.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2018
Medics007:
Hi everyone, please I need a help from people who struggle with stage fright and won. Facing the audience is a very big headache for me, which seems to be very impossible to overcome, so whenever I have to do it, I must take drugs to control my heartbeat, which I want to stop taking now. Please I need advice on on how to easily overcome stage fright without using drugs. Thanks in anticipation.

You are the master of the topic.You know it better than anyone.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Kennydoc(m): 8:21pm On Mar 06, 2018
femi4:
you have to start small by addressing few people

From being a group leader, to a class captain, course rep etc. You learn how to talk by talking and watch how others talk when they address people

Exactly how I outgrew mine. By God's grace, the size of a crowd doesn't matter again to me.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Kalusam(m): 8:37pm On Mar 06, 2018
Before I answer your question on how to overcome stage fright, I want you to know that even the experienced of speakers might have stage fright! That been said, try and master the art of teaching to large audiences and most importantly, rather than looking into the crowd - let your eye come in contact with one person each time you look into the crowd. Practice, keep practicing and never stop practicing. The more you keep practicing the lesser you will have stage fright!
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by iammolise(m): 8:38pm On Mar 06, 2018
This topic just talks about me, more and most sincerely, I never knew there were yet people like me in this world, I almost actually started concluding maybe it's something wrong with just me, perhaps a sickness, never thought someone else somewhere is also experiencing same.

I still suffer it, it never leave... But thanks to this topic, I now know it's not me but me not bold enough, and thank u all for ur comments, it has helped.

I love Nairaland grin
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Sherlock5577: 8:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
I believe someone might have mentioned these points, but they've worked for me:
1. Preparation is key!! It boosts confidence!!!

2. Confront the fear, that's the only way to overcome it!!! Engage in more presentation making activities.

3. Control your breathing, it really helps. Take deeps breath once to begin to feel tensed!!!

My 2 cents!!!
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Chukazu: 8:43pm On Mar 06, 2018
Another thing is ,try to engage your audience by asking them questions... something that would throw them off balance and put them on the spot and you ceasing the moment to ganer momentum

Question like " is it true that snake swallowed 36 mullun"? cheesy (feigning ignorance)

You go hear different answers.. wink

Use illustration ...I love to tell stories a lot and that connects deep to my audience
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Mrkumareze(m): 8:44pm On Mar 06, 2018
madgoat:

I have stage fright even when talking to kids in nursery class cry

Then you aren't a good speaker . Probably you are forcing yourself into the field . If you are sure and have accurate use of words, you can consider adding up your morale with one or two bottle of beer or you take gin and see how well you perform. Like me, you can receive any help from me when am high but d moment I get normal you hardly get something
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 06, 2018
Always bear it in mind that they are your fellow human being, no need to be scared.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by leonard002(m): 8:49pm On Mar 06, 2018
I overcame stage fright. The only solution is to keep going up on stage and giving more talks. The more you do it, the more you overcome stage fright. Nothing else works, believe me.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Pater001: 8:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
Gd input frm gr8 team. Hweva, in my opinion, its not unjustifiable assumption dat mastery of d topic for presentation is d key word. Its d engine block of d dozer. Once u r a guru on d topic, u can ovacome any obstacle therein. Yaa d stage frite may com but pwr of knldge will overide. Even a prof wit no litle idea in a particula topic wil definitely shy off on d stage. Knwldge as said, is pwr.my humbl input guy. I stand to be constructively criticized..... lol
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Rebelutionary: 9:04pm On Mar 06, 2018
thewritingtodo:

You never see wen chingum go dry, come dey cause dificulty in speaking..d tin go just glue yur teet togeda like dis. I once had a friend who experienced dry mouth syndrome on stage...his lips became pure white...assin, pure white! He looked like a voodoo priest on stage with no one paying attention to what he was saying..lolzz
Hasahhahahahahahahahahaha guy u r maaaaaaaad....u wan kee me wt laf....I am imagining wat a voodoo priest looks like... chaiii....u made my day bro!

@Medics007
1. Know the in and out of what you want to say! I mean STUDY your material WELL! This is the FOUNDATION of awesome public speaking!

2. The mirror is your friend.. rehearse every now and again before the mirror so you can see how confident you look or don't and how to improve. This is not a one off thing but should be a CONTUNUOUS ACT and don't only wait for when you need to hit the stage before you get into this PRACTISE MODE e.g Find characters that speak well and attempt to do it like them! e.g there was a time I was watching frank edoho do his thing and in my mind I was thinking if I get a gig similar to Frank's will I be able to handle it as well or even better than he does? So I started mimicking his entrance on stage, introduction etc..from there i develop my own style! Doing this when I didn't need to has really helped me when I am called upon on short notice!

3. Take deep breaths and consciously learn to force yourself to speak slowly ( doing that helps you not to make mistakes)

4. Some folks say don't look at their faces, I say look at one SMILING FACE..haba there must be one na and as you begin to deliver you wl notice faces lighting up one after the other...shift focus to another one, then another with a SMILE ON YOURS; a smile is infectious, remember? Before you know it you are looking at everyone's face!

5. Meditate on Scripture e.g II Tim 1:7, Jer 1:8 among others n pray for divine HELP. Also visualise your AWESOME performance over and again before hitting the stage n you wl be surprised!

P.S It takes CONSCIOUS REPETITIVE PRACTISE to make this happen! I wish you well!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by AntiWailer: 9:17pm On Mar 06, 2018
Start with a joke.

Start with no seriousness.

Laugh a bit.

The voice can be shaky when u start dt is fine.

Be a master of the topic and continue dishing it out

The truth is that most people start shaky but balance and deliver
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by jc4real(m): 9:36pm On Mar 06, 2018
Kimberlykay:
Am also quite shy n can't do public speaking... Pls help!! sad

If u follow some of the suggestions given here and also believe "there is nothing impossible", I know u can overcome it.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by TechAddiction: 9:41pm On Mar 06, 2018
Try not to look into their faces... Always look above their heads... Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Graviton2(m): 9:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
Imagine they all owe you money!! That’s what I do whenever I have a presentation, it works for me!

1 Like

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by asmovic(m): 9:52pm On Mar 06, 2018
Medics007:

it's so easy. The best bet is, don't look directly into their eyes. look above their heads. This will surely help you a lot.
it happened to me when i started teaching. now have gone way up the ladder. Just avoid looking straight into eyes.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Sirkelvin: 9:57pm On Mar 06, 2018
Medics007:
. It's not about looking faces or not, from the moment I hear my name to come on stage, my heatbeat will increase rapidly that I can't even utter a word. Thinking about the stage alone makes me scared.

It is normal for your heart beat to increase a little above normal. when you experience it, just take a deep breath and assure yourself that you can do it and you will see yourself doing it perfectly. when you start, don't doubt yourself on the way, just continue and the sky will be your starting point. I pray that grace be made available for you always.
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by iguita: 9:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
Join a Toastmasters Club. I am a member and I have seen people change from been Lilly livered to confident. Every speaker suffers stage fright,
what you need is a supportive community that you can practice with and that is what Toastmasters is about. check https : // www . instagram.com / lighthousetm_club/ on Instagram...
Medics007:

Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by Sirkelvin: 10:00pm On Mar 06, 2018
LAGATA:

I understand your plight bro. Honestly it takes alot of determination, focus, control, and balance to overcome stage/audience fright. By the way abeg wats the name of the drug u take to control ur heartbeat pls

@ Medics007
Re: Hi Nairalanders, A Fellow Needs A Help On How To Overcome Stage Fright by bummyla(m): 10:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
Enough rehearsal first

Then keep telling yourself, you can do it!

When you climb the stage, scan the masses, focus on only one person or group of persons that seem interested in you!

The Rest they say is History!

https://www.bummyla.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Practical Ways To Make Your Dreams Come True And Enjoy Life / Ten (10) Creative Things To Try This Season / "I Advised Atiku, Tinubu To Step Down For Younger Generation" - Wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.