Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist (13005 Views)

When Agnostic/atheist Ask For Evidence, This Is What We Mean / My Greatest Sexual Temptation As A Christian / Nigeria Female Traditionalist: My Greatest Regret In Life Is Going To Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by keenn: 6:34pm On Mar 06, 2018
reversing the hands of time would be my greatest help for now, if that were possible.

I reside in an academic community somewhere in the east, my journey through the atheistic part has been quite interesting though challenging...having to fine tune core upbringing believe systems to what I am now.

to keep body and soul together, I help around with handy jobs in my small academic community, and with my intrigue personality it wasn't hard to become popular

an interesting conversation was on on one of the whatsapp group I belonged to on this very quiet and boring day about religion and God's plan for man, redemption, salvation, deliverance.... and I decided to join and gave quite a twist to the whole discussion. oh my! and all attention was faced on me.

immediately I was getting personal messages, it became so overwhelming that I had to ignore some.

the next day, I was like a walking ghost, some of my greetings were not returned, side talks when I pass and some offered to even pray to deliver me.

business/survival hasn't been the same.

I will one day leave this community, and then we will do all what they do, I want acceptance too, I need to survive.

disclosing your identity in an environment that is deeply entagled with religious dogma brings nothing but loss to us, no one is rewarding us to confess.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by stephendamsoho: 6:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
CC: Johnydon22, Agentofallah, PastorAIO, Randomperson, Jonbellion, Seun, Dalaman, Martinez19, Obinna58, HopefulLandlord, Plaetton, Wirinet, joe4christ, budaatum, Humanistme
Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by butterflylion: 7:02pm On Mar 06, 2018
keenn:
reversing the hands of time would be my greatest help for now, if that were possible.

I reside in an academic community somewhere in the east, my journey through the atheistic part has been quite interesting though challenging...having to fine tune core upbringing believe systems to what I am now.

to keep body and soul together, I help around with handy jobs in my small academic community, and with my intrigue personality it wasn't hard to become popular

an interesting conversation was on on one of the whatsapp group I belonged to on this very quiet and boring day about religion and God's plan for man, redemption, salvation, deliverance.... and I decided to join and gave quite a twist to the whole discussion. oh my! and all attention was faced on me.

immediately I was getting personal messages, it became so overwhelming that I had to ignore some.

the next day, I was like a walking ghost, some of my greetings were not returned, side talks when I pass and some offered to even pray to deliver me.

I will one day leave this community, and then we will do all what they do, I want acceptance too, I need to survive.

disclosing your identity in an environment that is deeply entagled with religious dogma brings nothing but loss to us, no one is rewarding us to confess.

As you lay your bed bro so you lay on it. You chose your path. Surely you didn't think there wouldn't be consequences.

On the flip side, All the religious are offering is simply love God and love men and be accepted. Coming here to complain is simply silly IMHO.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by Mariangeles(f): 7:10pm On Mar 06, 2018
keenn:

You chose your path, therefore, walk on it.
Don't expect people who don't share your ideas and way of life to walk with you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by CoolUsername: 7:13pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

As you lay your bed bro so you lay on it. You chose your path. Surely you didn't think there wouldn't be consequences.

On the flip side, All the religious are offering is simply love God and love men and be accepted. Coming here to complain is simply silly IMHO.

They're offering peace and love but shun those who disagree with them?

25 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by butterflylion: 7:20pm On Mar 06, 2018
CoolUsername:

Such are the risks involved. They themselves want peace and would rather get it from people of like minds and like disposition.

He should blame nobody but himself. Same way he rejects their religious views as an atheist and rejects their God and probably silently mocks them in his heart. What he sows he reaps. Shikena

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by CoolUsername: 7:20pm On Mar 06, 2018
Well the cat's already out of the bag. You have to double down and own it. Don't entertain any discussion on the subject. Don't let people disrespect you because of it. Don't be apologetic, continue to work as possible in whatever you do and focus only on what you think about yourself.

3 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by itchie: 7:35pm On Mar 06, 2018
It's only a fool that says there is no God

3 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by budaatum: 8:08pm On Mar 06, 2018
butterflylion:

disagree with them?

Such are the risks involved. They themselves want peace and would rather get it from people of like minds and like disposition.

He should blame nobody but himself. Same way he rejects their religious views as an atheist and rejects their God and probably silently mocks them in his heart. What he sows he reaps. Shikena
If only they accepted Christ into their hearts, souls and life, they would just love their neighbour. But since they could see into their neighbour's atheistic heart, "he should move ni! We don't want neighbours with minds and dispositions like his!"

Such is the mind of the people of this world.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by butterflylion: 8:18pm On Mar 06, 2018
budaatum:

If only they accepted Christ into their hearts, souls and life, they would just love their neighbour. But since they could see into his atheistic heart, "he should move ni! We don't want neighbours with minds and dispositions like his!" Such is the mind of the people of this world.

Words from the OP

an interesting conversation was on on one of the whatsapp group I belonged to on this very quiet and boring day about religion and God's plan for man, redemption, salvation, deliverance.... and I decided to join and gave quite a twist to the whole discussion. oh my! and all attention was faced on me

It is obvious from his post that his comments in that whatsapp group was not in line with their beliefs and rejected them. They embraced him until he first rejected them so he only got what he sowed.

One bad apple spoils the whole barrel. They obviously do not want to be "polluted". And they are right. If they have been living in perfect harmony as a religious community I am sure they want it to remain that way.

They did not ask him to move. He chose to move. They rather offered to draw him closer through praying for him / delivering him. They still want him to be a part of them. He on the other hand does not and wishes to move.

7 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by wirinet(m): 8:19pm On Mar 06, 2018
Your experience is not novel, this is what everybody who thinks outside the generally accepted norms and ideas have suffered throughout history. It was what Christianity suffered when it first started out, it was what copernicus suffered, Galileo was scorned and persecuted for bringing a novel idea.

But....

You will prevail. Just work hard in your chosen career and succeed. Do not despair, do not let them make you feel inferior or bad. They will eventually learn to accept your for who you are and what you believe. If Tai Solarin could gain acceptance and respect for being openly atheist, if fela could gain acceptance for being a traditionalist and being weird, if bobrisky could gain popularity and some degree of acceptance for being transgender, why should you ashamed to state and defend your beliefs.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by sonofluc1fer: 8:29pm On Mar 06, 2018
It's expected. Deal with it. You'll be stronger for it.

4 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by Seun(m): 9:19pm On Mar 06, 2018
If your acting skills are top-notch, you can pull a Saul of Tarsus and "give your life to Christ" again. "Repent of your arrogance". It could be fun.

Alternatively, you can compensate for your "evilness" by being super extra nice and helpful to people, forcing them to see that you're not Satan.

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by obinna58(m): 9:57pm On Mar 06, 2018
Bet the mistake was taking your skeptical view to a group of people, just like announcing to people that they have been on the wrong side since birth, even if someone sees the truth on what you said he/she would never be bold enough to stand supportive, in fact you might end up being the reason why the person must stay deluded forever.

If it affects your badly go for redemption
Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by godisgood200: 10:29pm On Mar 06, 2018
keenn:

Sorry. But it's a choice you have made. It's torable here sef, when you die,na you and fire.
Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by godisgood200: 10:35pm On Mar 06, 2018
CoolUsername:

I think what he is getting from those folks is as a result of what he said about God on facebook.

Will you keep my company if i iinsult your dad to your face because i want peace? I think for there to be peace, i'd have to keep you at arm's length.

No one smiles when his/her parents are being called names to their faces, except they are imbeciles.

I for one, won't. Even if you are feeding me, i will rather beg to survive than stay and take that from you.

He shd enjoy his choice.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by butterflylion: 10:46pm On Mar 06, 2018
Seun:
If your acting skills are top-notch, you can pull a Saul of Tarsus and "give your life to Christ" again. "Repent of your arrogance". It could be fun.

Alternatively, you can compensate for your "evilness" by being super extra nice and helpful to people, forcing them to see that you're not Satan.

In a nutshell, you are advising him to live a life of deceit and hypocricy.

To you deceit is nothing just like Adidas declared "impossible is nothing".

Keep up the good "deceptive " work seun.

I find it shocking that some people actually see you as a role model if you can make such unguarded remarks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by godisgood200: 10:48pm On Mar 06, 2018
budaatum:

If only they accepted Christ into their hearts, souls and life, they would just love their neighbour. But since they could see into his atheistic heart, "he should move ni! We don't want neighbours with minds and dispositions like his!" Such is the mind of the people of this world.
And the Bible says
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
Psalm:1:1

Can you imagin how scornful atheists can be?

'Come out from amongst them and be ye separate' 11Cor 6:17
Shd i keep their to show i love them? No.

2Cor 15:33
Evil (ungodly)association, corrupts good manners

Shd i corrupt the manners am trying to built because of an ungodly scornful atheist?

Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
Philippians:3:2

Did Jesus keep the company of those who called him Beelzebub? No. Shd i? No.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by budaatum: 10:54pm On Mar 06, 2018
godisgood200:

Did Jesus keep the company of those who called him Beelzebub? No. Shd i? No.
Atheists don't call you Beelzebub.
Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by butterflylion: 10:58pm On Mar 06, 2018
budaatum:

Deluded, morĂ²n, nonsensical and any other insult out there in the "great book of insults" are just a tip of the iceberg.

I am sure they would also include Beelzebub if they believed in the supernatural or in dieties but since they don't we can scratch that off can't we?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by godisgood200: 11:47pm On Mar 06, 2018
budaatum:

Pls answer me, you implied that Cbristians don't follow the teachings of Jesus, so i ask you again, did Jesus keep the company of those who called Him Beelzebub because He loved them?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by godisgood200: 11:48pm On Mar 06, 2018
Hypocrites, they give out but when given back they sit and weep.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by Emmanystone: 11:55pm On Mar 06, 2018
keenn:

Oh Pulizzzzzzzzzzz. Deal with it.

2 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by godisgood200: 12:10am On Mar 07, 2018
Seun:

Is that what you do?

1 Like

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by johnydon22(m): 12:23am On Mar 07, 2018
Bro start going to church and all. They will buy it. You may throw in a testimony or something.

Keep your business afloat.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by butterflylion: 12:50am On Mar 07, 2018
johnydon22:
Bro start going to church and all. They will buy it. You may throw in a testimony or something.

Keep your business afloat.

See them! Deceivers and liars!

Shamelessly asking him to live a life of deceit rather than truth. Tomorrow they will come here and claim morality.

Bunch of hypocrites!

4 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by dalaman: 12:57am On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

In a nutshell, you are advising him to live a life of deceit and hypocricy.

To you deceit is nothing just like Adidas declared "impossible is nothing".

Keep up the good "deceptive " work seun.

I find it shocking that some people actually see you as a role model if you can make such unguarded remarks.

Is your own life not a life of deceit? Are you not living a life of deceit?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by dalaman: 12:59am On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

Shamelessly asking him to live a life of deceit rather than truth. Tomorrow they will come here and claim morality.

Bunch of hypocrites!

Are you not living a life of deceit by believing that the ancient mythology , folklore and fiction of the ancient Jews and Romans is real?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:02am On Mar 07, 2018
It's funny the only people I do not tell I'm agnostic is my family, cos I'm not ready for my mum's drama and hysterics, and any girl I might be interested in, cos most Naija girls love claiming to seek "god-fearing men". grin
I freely tell all my friends and strangers who meet me. And, I've never lost a friend. I'm pretty introverted and don't make a lot of friends, but I keep the ones I make. It's also funny that most of the strangers I tell I'm atheist seem to somehow develop a greater interest in me. I experienced this during my NYSC camp where a theological argument I had with many Christians made me pretty popular even though I never sought the popularity.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by budaatum: 1:14am On Mar 07, 2018
godisgood200:

Pls answer me, you implied that Cbristians don't follow the teachings of Jesus, so i ask you again, did Jesus keep the company of those who called Him Beelzebub because He loved them?
Did anyone call him beelzebub? Did he not say love those who hate you?
Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by butterflylion: 1:37am On Mar 07, 2018
dalaman:

Are you not living a life of deceit by believing that the ancient mythology , folklore and fiction of the ancient Jews and Romans is real?

3 Likes

Re: My Greatest Regret As An Agnostic Atheist by superhumanist(m): 4:19am On Mar 07, 2018
butterflylion:

Bunch of hypocrites!

Says the liar for Jesus.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lack Of Patience Is What Pushes People To Make Money Illegally. / Who Is Indaboski Pahose??? / Does The Church I Attend Matter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.