Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen (31620 Views)

As A Male Secondary Teacher, Will You Flog A Student That Has Big Breast/yansh? / 'No Be Say I No Go Pay! They Go Flog Tire' T-shirt For Warri Schoolgirl, Success / UNIOSUN Students: "Free Dr Sesan, He Didn't Flog Us We Were Only Catching Fun" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Deicide: 11:56pm On Mar 06, 2018
MhizzAJ:

Awww
AFSS Ikeja Class of 2012 Nice one
Small girl grin
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by chukzyfcbb: 12:33am On Mar 07, 2018
Before I found a school where I would setlle as my PPA, I had already made up my mind I wouldn't flog. I was a product of extreme flogging and I knew it affected my relationship with who handled the cane.

But mehn I flogged!!! Most of the time I was flogging because notes were incomplete or the class would be making noise while I am writing notes on the board, I couldn't bear the fact I would stand for hours writing notes on a chalk board only to see a student note incomplete.

At the same time, I was always giving students incentives to learn lol. It was a mixed feeling. The students always looked forward to my class because gifts could come at any time :-)

Part of my allowee went into buying gifts for those who scored high in my regular test and exams. Its not easy being a teacher o
I always set a bench mark of 50/70 in the exam
and 70/100 overall. It seemed tough but I liked the challenge I put on them

Nysc taught me how hard it is for teachers.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by dFroshie(m): 12:56am On Mar 07, 2018
Mypeople2:
So what will be there punishment? What if they refuse to adhere to your punishment, what will you do ?No flogging can only work in primary school in Nigeria.But can never be effective in senior secondary schools .The students will play with you

bro its still effective in some,OSCCO in Osogbo teachers dont flog student but other form of punishment might be given though i dont know if it has change o but while i was there they dont
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by arnold123: 3:05am On Mar 07, 2018
snowden9:
I'm a Batch A Stream 1 Corps member (Yea. Counting down weeks to my POP). I currently teach in a private school in rivers state. Nuff about all the intro. To the point now, shall we?
I experienced something today and I just thought i should share to all teachers(both corps members and full time teachers), intending teachers and intending corps members.

I had an SS1 economics class by 12pm and when I got to the class, few seconds in, the students didn't greet. I was expecting someone to save them and echo the routine class greeting so I wouldn't have to punish them (our proprietress have been sounding warning to us as of late to punish the students if we encounter any act of indiscipline from them. Not greeting a teacher qualified as an act of indiscipline). Someone finally called out for the class to greet. They all stood up to greet. Except one girl. I was a bit furious and i asked her why she didn't stand up and greet, she still bent her head on the desk without a reply and as expected, the 'Teacher dictator' in me(every teacher has it) wanted to call her out and give her some strokes of cane. I asked a student if the 'disobedient' girl was sick and the reply was 'No'. Now, i really got more pissed off and wanted to punish her but all of a sudden, i just ignored it, brushed it aside and went on with my teaching.

A few hours later, I was walking past the SS1 class and I saw a girl crying (a different girl),when I asked what happened, they told me one of their classmates mum that was pregnant lost her baby that's why she was crying. I came to know later that the other 'disobedient' girl of my economics class was crying at that time when I entered the class for the same reason that was why she didn't stand up to greet. On my own part, i had to praise myself for making the right decision not to punish her cos i know i wouldn't have been happy with myself if I had punished her and later found out that this was the reason why she didn't stand up to greet.

So my dear teachers, before you flog that student for coming late without listening to her reasons, do you know if she witnessed an altercation between her parents and she was the child trying to settle them? Before you flog him for failing, do you know if his guardian punished him by not feeding him all through yesterday just because he mistakenly broke a plate while washing? Meanwhile he had an exam to write the following day. Before you flog that child, do you know what's going on in the life of that child? Before you raise that cane above your head, ask yourself, 'Have i listened to this child?'

Listen.... It'll only take a minute.
IF ANY SLUT OR DOUCHE BAG EVER IN THEIR MISERABLE DEFACED LIFE FLOGS MY CHILD THEY SHOULD JUST WRITE THIER WILL (if they have the chance to write one) BECAUSE I WOULD WHOOP YO ASS SO BAD THAT YOU WOULD GO 6ft to FIND IT TO FIX BACK ON!!!!!'
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by AgentOfAllah: 3:16am On Mar 07, 2018
Jesus! In 2018 we're still talking about flogging and punishing kids in schools. What the hell is wrong with this country?

By forcing kids to conform to your notion of respect, discipline and what have you, you unwittingly participate in the dumbification of our collective consciousness.

STOP FLOGGING KIDS YOU SADISTIC IDIOTS! NO EXCUSE FOR IT, JUST STOP!!!

4 Likes

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by myk2mic: 4:57am On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=MhizzAJ post=65622829]

Awww

AFSS Ikeja
Class of 2012
Nice one [/quocte]

Heard Mr Akinte( hope I got the name right its been yrs)
the very slim economics teacher is late.
is mrs Idowu the maths teacher strict(na my church member)
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by MhizzAJ(f): 5:35am On Mar 07, 2018
[quote author=myk2mic post=65625695][/quote]

Yeah
Mr Akinte is late
Not really cheesy
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by MhizzAJ(f): 5:37am On Mar 07, 2018
Deicide:
Small girl grin

grin cheesy
Big man
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by introvertme: 5:43am On Mar 07, 2018
femipraiz:
Do you know that you just made me remember what happened when I was teaching at Ogbomoso.
There is this student that is so dull academically and I remembered flogging the hell out of Him one day...
A day came that he wasn't in school, I asked after him from his colleagues and I was told something show about this young boy. His classmates told me that He at the market(That day was the market day) they told me he is doing what Yoruba people call "Alabaru"(those that assist with carrying of load to get stipend from you) I was told he is the one paying his school fees has no one wants to assist Him.
I was told how he has been trying hard to know what i have been teaching and this almost brought tears to my eyes...

Teachers we are the parents of this young ones in school, let us have a listening ear..

tears dey my eyes as I dey read am
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Pat081: 6:06am On Mar 07, 2018
Darkseid:
I have made up my mind that when I have kids, no teacher will dare to flog them, that same way I won't flog other people's children.
some people will be saying dat only one gv birth to a child but thousand teach d child
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by introvertme: 6:24am On Mar 07, 2018
makydebbie:
Your English fit wake dead person. I can't deal.

I just hope he isn't a teacher.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by makydebbie(f): 6:25am On Mar 07, 2018
introvertme:

I just hope he isn't a teacher.
Me too. grin
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Jamiualabi12(m): 6:26am On Mar 07, 2018
anyway you have done such a great thing,
but letting other teacher's knowning is more rational, because this act of corporal punishment out of control within Nigeria teacher's. So thank's for that dude.

2 Likes

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Aldebaran(m): 6:36am On Mar 07, 2018
Thanks
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by nanizle(m): 7:20am On Mar 07, 2018
being:
It scarred you?- Why are you so ridiculous?

So you support physically assaulting and injuring children in the name of punishment??

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by nanizle(m): 7:28am On Mar 07, 2018
being:
It scarred you?- Why are you so ridiculous?

You apparently have zero idea on what trauma does to kids.
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by sprints1: 7:35am On Mar 07, 2018
Mariangeles:
Some of the children might even have health issues or terminally ill...just imagine flogging a child with a heart problem or an anaemic child

Modified: I think every school, from primary to secondary level should have psychologists
beating a child doesn't kill only if given merciless beating...I went to school beating an anaemic child doesn't do anything as for heart problem na only the child get anxiety issues...for terminally I'll take her to hospital not school...abeg flogging a child is part of our culture once said this to senior teacher he told me beating is part of our culture we can't compare our kids with the westerns our IQ is different
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Seanmike(m): 7:37am On Mar 07, 2018
Nice one
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by introvertme: 9:20am On Mar 07, 2018
sprints1:
beating a child doesn't kill only if given merciless beating...I went to school beating an anaemic child doesn't do anything as for heart problem na only the child get anxiety issues...for terminally I'll take her to hospital not school...abeg flogging a child is part of our culture once said this to senior teacher he told me beating is part of our culture we can't compare our kids with the westerns our IQ is different

So you just admitted that we're backward or what?

Westerners don't do this,yet they're light years ahead of us in reasoning.

Change your mindset,inflicting wounds on under age kids is ABUSE.

+Your teacher is absurd.

1 Like

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by chiefojiji(m): 9:45am On Mar 07, 2018
Who will pay back all the lashes I have received in my school days? I mistakenly come sch 8am when assembly na 7 45 am , with good reason, I don enter one chance.......... I remember wen I dey uni, I missed a test cus I was ill, had to go meet the lecturer, which was asking for doctors report, I was wowed... U go believe that, anytime I miss test not intentionally, I'll have a make up test after, by giving excuse that... A MOTHER DIE in a very low and sober voice..... But the day I was caught up, ẹ no easy, the A sounded so obvious that day. Well, oyinbo say, the reward of a teacher is in heaven, but what of dos among dem that won't make heaven
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by kabhohd(m): 10:49am On Mar 07, 2018
Nonsense!!!. What has that got to do with standing up to greet. This is how we raise a generation of feeble minded adults that allow their emotions to get in the way of rational decisions. Even if she can't say the greetings, she can at least stand up to show respect. A girl like that will end up snubbing her mother in-law just because she is not in a good mood. Emotions my foot, life can be so cruel and if you wallow in your sorry emotional state it will crush more. We all need to be strong and train our kids to be strong as well to the right things regardless of anything they may be going through.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by sirgalahad26(m): 11:00am On Mar 07, 2018
HOW I WISH THE LIKES OF
Mrs Akinsanya
Mr Amuni
can read this article even if they read this, i dont think they stop flogging.
I suffered in their hands during my secondary school days
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by tintingz(m): 12:10pm On Mar 07, 2018
andreawills96:
that was how I flogged a student Jss1 when I was serving at Ado-Ekiti oh, I couldn't use my leg properly for a week. had to call my parents oh
So how does flogging someone relate to you not walk properly for weeks? Did you kick the student or kicked a table , stone? undecided
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by sprints1: 4:28pm On Mar 07, 2018
introvertme:

So you just admitted that we're backward or what?

Westerners don't do this,yet they're light years ahead of us in reasoning.

Change your mindset,inflicting wounds on under age kids is ABUSE.

+Your teacher is absurd.

so beating a child means inflicting wounds before civilization African parents punish their children by flogging them and yet they lived longer and enjoyed life... u can't compare Nigerians with the westerns they are far better than us in terms of reasoning and lifestyle even if we copy them from now till the world end we will still be where we are...we have culture and our culture supports flogging a disobedient child...we do not encourage Lassie Faire discipline our children needs to be flogged becos Africans generally don't listen so we need cain to wake these children senses
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by andreawills96(f): 9:30pm On Mar 07, 2018
[/quote]..I can direct you to a school, so you can get tour answers brother
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by Akious2k2(m): 10:44pm On Mar 07, 2018
pharmagba:
Let me share my experience as well why you should be careful how you flog

I served in Adamawa State and I teach the ss1- ss1 maths. I am a no nonsense maths teacher, however and in every way maths must enter their skull. In my class there are fathers, I mean the dad is in ss3 and his first child is in ss1. Forget the age disparity i no send i flog papa and child some even older than me. Anybody that fails my test or refuses to do assignment is punished. I was the touchest, most dreaded teacher, but ironically I was also the most loved, maybe because the student felt at the back of myheart was a genuine love for them to become great in life.
my disposition to flogging changed one day when there was crises in the community between the natives . All of a sudden a biggle sound was heard the students respectfully bow and said 'excuse sir ' one after the other and walked out of the classroom while I was still teaching . The 'excuse sir' was not a permission in the real sense because they weren't waiting for my approval at all. Those that have bicycle mounted their bicycle and rode swiftly those without bicycle ran.
later in the evening I saw my students both young and old with painted face and with guns, matt et te and axe like warrior on the street. Some their axes was dripping with fresh human blood!! Even I learnt that some when they throw the axe they don't miss the target even if the target is on a moving bike,
when the crises was over and school resumed my orientation of flogging changed completely, so these are not ordinary student but warriors and it does take a dime for one to aim an axe at me if he so desires.

Now, that's scary
Re: Teachers, Before You Flog That Child....Listen by ArcToyin(m): 2:53pm On May 14, 2018
Teachers must not fall for this because students will his under it to act irresponsibly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ochuwa Momoh George Completes Her PhD With 5.0 CPGA / Maritime Academy Of Nigeria Oron Registeration / ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.