Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,471 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. (609 Views)

INEC Is Plotting To Release Results Elections To Favour APC- Wike / Ben Murray-Bruce Takes A Shot At Buhari / APC Challenges Senator Ekweremadu To Enumerate What He Achieved For SE And SS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. by mekuszyx: 11:06pm On Apr 28, 2010
I do not remember any INEC chairman who is not of SE or SS origin. INEC chair is not Igbo or SS''s birthright. Yoruba or the North should please take up the position and let's see how they run things there.
Re: INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. by OvieE: 11:14pm On Apr 28, 2010
cry
Re: INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. by mekuszyx: 11:15pm On Apr 28, 2010
INEC chair: No more Igbo
People & Politics Mar 25, 2010 By Ochereome Nnanna

THERE has been some excitement since the news broke that, after all, there might be a change of guards at the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). If this happens, it will further heighten the expectation that Acting President Goodluck Jonathan may have chosen to chart a course that is not business as usual. The INEC Board led by Professor Maurice Iwu was already looking forward to conducting the next general elections.

Vanguard Newspapers had on Monday, March 22, 2010 in its lead story, quoted a Presidency source as saying that six names had been short-listed for the INEC Chair. These were Professor Attahiru Jega, a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities; Dr Jibrin Ibrahim, an apparent dark horse; retired Major General Ishola Williams, the President of the Nigeria chapter of Transparency International; former Minister of Information and Communications, Professor Dora Akunyili; former Military Governor of Kaduna State, retired Col Abubakar Umar and former President of the Nigeria Bar Association, Mr Olisa Agbakoba.

All these are interesting names. Since we have less than three months to the time the next INEC Chair will assume office, it is safe to suppose that the Acting President will be making the appointment since it is unlikely that the electoral reforms would have been concluded. Therefore, it is absolutely essential to ensure that the next person to occupy that hot seat must be a person whose integrity is above suspicion. Such a person must be absolutely above partisan politics. Luckily, all the names listed are within this categorisation, even though some are more so than others.

Let me start by advocating that the next INEC Chair should not be of Igbo stock, neither should he/she come from the South-South. These two groups have exclusively produced all our electoral umpires till date since independence. We must do away with this quaint tradition of parcelling out some jobs exclusively to any part of the country, for whatever reasons. There is nothing that says only people of the South East and South-South must preside over our elections, just as nothing in our laws suggests that only Northerners and (when it is convenient) South Westerners must preside over the affairs of the nation. The next INEC Chair must, therefore, be a Yoruba or Northerner. I find it suspicious that these two sections of Nigeria that have swapped political power between them since the end of the civil war have never complained about not heading the Electoral Commission.

Apart from that, we don’t want any partisan politician as INEC Chair anymore. Professor Akunyili, as competent as she is for the job, is a politician, a very ambitious and power-hungry one at that. Members of her Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have accused her of playing subterranean roles in ensuring that Professor Chukwuma Soludo, the party’s candidate in the last election in Anambra State, failed. It may not be true, but she has not debunked this allegation. If Akunyili is to be brought back to government, let her be given the challenging task of rebuilding our electric power infrastructure. She does exceptionally well in non-politically sensitive posts.

My number one nominee for the INEC Chair is Col. Umar. He is above politics and above suspicion. He is not a tribalist, regionalist or religious fundamentalist. He is a true patriot who can look anyone in the face and refuse to be used. This is the time in Nigeria’s history to bring the likes of Col. Umar back into the centre stage of our governance if we want to start moving forward.

My second nominee is Major General Ishola Williams. He is exactly the Yoruba copy of Abubakar Umar – totally above all primordial political mundanities. Unlike typical partisan candidates, I cannot imagine Umar or Williams descending so low as to work for the success or failure of any particular candidates. I am positive that even the appointing authorities will not be able to sway these two gentlemen.

Umar and Williams are strong enough to resign their appointment if the ruling party or president resorts to arm-twisting the Commission, possibly through the denial of adequate funding; or the many dirty tricks that former President Olusegun Obasanjo resorted to and Dr Abel Guobadia and Professor Iwu played along.

With Umar or Williams in the INEC saddle, Nigeria can afford to take her time and reform the electoral processes. Both of them have been exposed to the highest level of intrigues in the Nigerian political terrain even in the blood-soaked military era and came out spotless. But because they are clean and straight with the truth, the system has found a way to sideline them because the Olusegun Obasanjo type of Nigeria does not like genuine and strong materials in the system for fear that they will rock their post-civil war boat.

Otherwise, how on earth can a Col. Umar be alive, strong and active and Obasanjo will search the whole North and only a terminally sick Umaru Yar’Adua will be found worthy to be given the affairs of Nigeria to govern? Conversely, how can people of proven integrity like Williams be there and only an Obasanjo, who was convicted for coup plotting, would be found by the North to be worthy of being given the presidency of Nigeria in preference to the murdered Chief Moshood Abiola?

Dr Goodluck Jonathan must continue to demonstrate that Nigeria is no longer interested in recycling proven deadwoods and political hypocrites just because it favours the interest of the equally discredited few who have ruined this country and are not tired of doing so.
Re: INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. by OvieE: 11:16pm On Apr 28, 2010
just be quiet by dear. what is ur problem punk?
Re: INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. by isimili: 11:33pm On Apr 28, 2010
though i know that i am not tribalistic and hate and comdemn tribalism completely, come to think about things, it is true that all inec chairmen many have been from the south east.

given this, it might be a good idea to try someone from the north, south or west of nigeria on the proviso that such a person is only being selected because they are intelligent, patriotic, credible and committed to taking forward our democracy without fear or favour. One person i must urge jonathan to stay away from is mrs Adejumo who conducted the ekiti elections and ran away for the reasons she claimed only to return and announce the same results she claimed that her conscience would not allow her to announce.
Next victim certainly will be Ogbulafor. Wonder what the 28 governors will do when this happens. Democracy in Nigeria will transcend to a new height with the departure of these men and a few others like them. We want change and change we must have. And now too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. by mekuszyx: 2:11am On Apr 29, 2010
isimili:

though i know that i am not tribalistic and hate and comdemn tribalism completely, come to think about things, it is true that all inec chairmen many have been from the south east.

given this, it might be a good idea to try someone from the north, south or west of nigeria on the proviso that such a person is only being selected because they are intelligent, patriotic, credible and committed to taking forward our democracy without fear or favour. One person i must urge jonathan to stay away from is mrs Adejumo who conducted the ekiti elections and ran away for the reasons she claimed only to return and announce the same results she claimed that her conscience would not allow her to announce.
Next victim certainly will be Ogbulafor. Wonder what the 28 governors will do when this happens. Democracy in Nigeria will transcend to a new height with the departure of these men and a few others like them. We want change and change we must have. And now too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

All INEC chair have been from the SE and the SS in almost equal number.
Re: INEC Is Not Only For The SE And SS, Let SW Or North Take A Shot Now. by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 29, 2010
Don't care,

as long as that person can conduct periodic and genuine elections without fear of intimidation.

Sadly that still looks like a far cry,whilst other countries such as Ghana are blazing the trail in free and fair elections.

(1) (Reply)

The Ag. President And Iwu / Youths Against Ibb / Jonathan Is Not The Messiah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.