Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing (1217 Views)

TB Joshua Speaks On Tithing As Daddy Freeze Praises Him (Video) / Daddy Freeze Replies Apostle Suleman On Tithing (Free The Sheeple) / Bishop Okonkwo Blasts FG Over Use Of Military Force In South-east (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by sportivation(m): 1:37pm On Mar 07, 2018

Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by BushWickBill: 5:02pm On Mar 07, 2018
My problem with this.

TREM used to have tithe cards. Meaning they made it compulsory.

but it's good he is speaking against the coercion.
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by MuttleyLaff: 9:05pm On Mar 07, 2018
BushWickBill:
My problem with this.

TREM used to have tithe cards. Meaning they made it compulsory.

but it's good he is speaking against the coercion.
I actually watched him on this YouTube video sometime last year, admitting quite a few wrongs he did like, scaring people about repercussions of not tithing etcetera.

He even said, when he embarked on lifting the lid on false teachings and practices of ecclesiastical monitised tithing, some of his inner caucus members tried to caution him, claiming finances will cease and dry up.

He said, of course, finance dwindled, in the beginning after he opened up to church members, but at least his conscience was clear, he was doing the right thing and he was standing right with God

He further said, the church isn't his, so it was left to God to see to the financial needs of His church, that all he will and had to do, is to teach right.

At the end of the confession, I stood up and gave him a standing ovation but my euphoria suddenly nose dived at something he then said, and I heard myself muttering and asking; why, why, why did you have to spoil something so good and beautiful, with this now?

1 Like

Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by BushWickBill: 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I actually watched him on this YouTube video sometime last year, admitting quite a few wrongs he did like, scaring people about repercussions of not tithing etcetera.

He even said, when he embarked on lifting the lid on false teachings and practices of ecclesiastical monitised tithing, some of his inner caucus members tried to caution him, claiming finances will cease and dry up.

He said, of course, finance dwindled, in the beginning after he opened up to church members, but at least his conscience was clear, he was doing the right thing and he was standing right with God

He further said, the church isn't his, so it was left to God to see to the financial needs of His church, that all he will and had to do, is to teach right.

At the end of the confession, I stood up and gave him a standing ovation but my euphoria suddenly nose dived at something he then said, and I heard myself muttering and asking; why, why, why did you have to spoil something so good and beautiful, with this now?
This post summarizes everything that is wrong with the pro-tithe movement very aptly

Believers are made to feel that compulsory tithing is what drives the church.

It is going to be hard to eradicate that mentality.

But again he in my view isn't doing the tithe question complete justice.
You and I know that tithing is null and void. References to Abraham giving a tenth to Melchizedek are not necessary because it didn't fall in line with God's commandment on paying tithe. Just like paying a 10thof your wages is not specified anywhere.

But at least he is bursting the bubble for those other "missions" that claim they keep you from being poor by taking your money away.

Pray tell can you share what he said that burst your morale
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by MuttleyLaff: 12:40am On Mar 08, 2018
BushWickBill:
This post summarizes everything that is wrong with the pro-tithe movement very aptly

Believers are made to feel that compulsory tithing is what drives the church.

It is going to be hard to eradicate that mentality.

But again he in my view isn't doing the tithe question complete justice.
You and I know that tithing is null and void. References to Abraham giving a tenth to Melchizedek are not necessary because it didn't fall in line with God's commandment on paying tithe. Just like paying a 10thof your wages is not specified anywhere.

But at least he is bursting the bubble for those other "missions" that claim they keep you from being poor by taking your money away.

Pray tell can you share what he said that burst your morale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGtqAlBlzLM
This is one of the two videos, I watched last year
I dont know where you at, but just you know, its an over a hour YouTube video
Brilliant video, I couldnt fault, not that I had any mission to
Anyway, the part about tithing started at the last five minutes of the video
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by BushWickBill: 12:42am On Mar 08, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

Thanks so much
On duty right now. Will watch when free.

He used to be my pastor in the early to mid 2000s.
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by MuttleyLaff: 12:49am On Mar 08, 2018
BushWickBill:
Thanks so much
On duty right now. Will watch when free.

He used to be my pastor in the early to mid 2000s.
After watching it, let me know what you think, it was he said, that burst my euphoria
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by BushWickBill: 1:11am On Mar 08, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
After watching it, let me know what you think, it was he said, that bursted my euphoria
ed
Will do so sir

Most likely later on in the day

Will try to scrutinize the message as thoroughly as I can
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by MuttleyLaff: 1:20am On Mar 08, 2018
BushWickBill:
ed
Will do so sir

Most likely later on in the day

Will try to scrutinize the message as thoroughly as I can
Dont over do it though whilst at it
Tip. It was towards the end, you'll miss noticing it, if you blink, sneeze or cough though
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by BushWickBill: 2:09am On Mar 08, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
Dont over do it though whilst at it
Tip. It was towards the end, you'll miss noticing it, if you blink, sneeze or cough though
Thanks for the heads up
I normally try to pay attention to matters like these to avoid being subliminally hoodwinked.
But I will take your advice. I intend listening to the whole clip to try to gain some perspective on his point of view as per the subject but I will be on the edge towards the end as you pointed out

Meanwhile what about your former co-debaters Gombs joagbaje Image123 et al? Any news from MarkMiwerds?
I used to follow your debates on tithing and some of the insight I gained on the topic were from you and Mark
Those debates died down for a while till this sort of awakening on the issue brought it to the fore
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by BushWickBill: 11:52am On Mar 08, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

I heard it.

From 1:06:57

" When you receive Grace, no one will beg you. . . no one will tell people "pay their tithe"..."

From then on he tried to justify why he preached the message of "pay tithe of be cursed" as being product of a background, instead of accepting full responsibility. He then said it's a matter of how your heart is.

Which is the issue I have with these people slowly crawling out to offer some sort of mea culpa on this tithing thing. No one wantsto fully take ownership of the fact that they have been preaching and teaching an error.

He then started to talk about himself and his "reputation". . . .which was kind of sad because it isn't about him as well.

1 Like

Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 3:11pm On Mar 08, 2018
MuttleyLaff:

Couple of things as to why why in your last paragraph:

Could be traditions of men passed down from church to church without learning and studying the truth for themselves.

Man trying to help God do His job

Bad caucus

Zeal without knowledge....e.g Kumuyi...

My little cents
Re: Bishop Okonkwo Speaks On Tithing by Image123(m): 4:18pm On Mar 08, 2018
BushWickBill:

Thanks for the heads up
I normally try to pay attention to matters like these to avoid being subliminally hoodwinked.
But I will take your advice. I intend listening to the whole clip to try to gain some perspective on his point of view as per the subject but I will be on the edge towards the end as you pointed out

Meanwhile what about your former co-debaters Gombs joagbaje Image123 et al? Any news from MarkMiwerds?
I used to follow your debates on tithing and some of the insight I gained on the topic were from you and Mark
Those debates died down for a while till this sort of awakening on the issue brought it to the fore
What?

(1) (Reply)

The Arc Of Noah Rebuilt In USA / Update: Bishop Oyedepo Offered US Visa He Was Initially Denied / Who Gives Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.