Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste (27106 Views)

Independence Day Celebrations Of The 1970s And 1980s (Videos and Memories). / Orji Uzor Kalu's Throwback Photo In 1980s / Chinua Achebe And Fela Kuti In The 1980s (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by anibirelawal(m): 9:56pm On Mar 10, 2018
Oxtertee:
Koko is an island in delta state.
Ok, thanks.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by MonPro: 10:16pm On Mar 10, 2018
Okoroawusa:
This story don tey o!

Small pikins no go understand

This is not a "Buhari must die" story
You are a buffoon and I know you know it!
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Graciousned: 1:58am On Mar 11, 2018
I believe this story is a lie we have been told for generations. With this behaviour of Italians in 1980 at a time of independence and all, do you truly believe that in 1940ish they (the colonizers) didn't kill Africans who refused themselves from being taken slaves, force them into ships like the bible says in Deuteronomy 28,29? Then turned around to spin the tale that we sold each other for mirror. Like seriously!? MIRROR!? wow! Anyone who believes that bulls..t version of our history told to us by the same people who hate us as much as these italians displayed at a different time in history when things were surposed to be better /"more friendly" would be without a doubt as gullible as they say we are.

wizzywisdom:

During the slaves trade the white never force the black to sale their children, brothers, sisters, etc. The black never fight for the abolishment of slave trade, so there's nothing new! Even the present day black man will sale this country then become slave to the white man!!!
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Graciousned: 2:14am On Mar 11, 2018
From whose account of history did you come to belive that Africans have "always" been greedy. Have you ever considered that Ethiopia was never colonized becos they had no natural resources of value to them at the time? Haiti and the Caribbean were invaded their people killed and taken slaves because of what: gold and sugarcane. Before they fought and drove out their French colonizers, only us in Africa still tell our history as what they've told us. And the deception continues! I remember being told tales of how those days people would leave their farm produce in d farm for days nobody will steal them, people will leave their goods in the market place people who came to buy will drop the money(cowries) for them and take d produce they wanted to buy. There was no stealing if somebody stole they would be stripped naked and dragged round the village. Does this sound like people who would sell their children for nothing? Cos as far as I know the colonizers had nothing that's why they came to Africa, to steal and teach us to change our way of life and become like them(immoral and without regard for human life). When they came they met a civilization, a structured and organized people and they couldn't believe it. Out of greed and jealousy they destroyed what we had that was working for us. The mistake we made was that we welcomed them, our neighbours who killed the first of them that came made them to go and bring guns. Think my people and wake up from the deception. We were and are a great nation! We just need to start re-teaching our children and writing our own history!

kcreativeme:

On point Sir. Greed has always been our problem in Africa since the days of our forefathers. Foreigners have known this and have capitalized on this.
Ever wondered why it was difficult to colonize Ethiopia? The Europeans didn't find a puppet and greedy traitor who wanted to become King or Emperor.

3 Likes

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 3:58am On Mar 11, 2018
deepwater:
It was a simple case of dangerous goods not stored with any form of compliance.

Till today, we still use Dangerous goods without knowing, if only the Italians shared and explained the MSDS to the lot owner it wouldn't have been much a problem.

Many people in Nigeria today still sleep under ceilings made from coagulated asbestos dust undecided
Everyday we get exposed to radioactive sources without knowing.

Bottom line is if you are knowledgeable and trained to handle this stuff u will be fine. in my line of duty I ensure these are the last skips loaded on my deck before i set sail and the first to be removed upon arriving the installation.

How do I get to meet you please Captain or First Officer? we could have some business deals in the near future
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 4:02am On Mar 11, 2018
olaboy1:

So asylum seekers from Nepal and Afghanistan should all be dumped in Africa?
Stay there... UK has already started the construction of State of the Art Prison Facility in Kirikiri maximum, there they will dump prisonners and criminals convicted in the UK and it's Territories
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by GODWINGODSON(m): 7:48am On Mar 11, 2018
olaboy1:
That’s how Europeans are, it’s in their DNA and they will never change from the rulership mentality of their fore fathers.
You see them donating money to Africa like they give a sh$t about us.

Denmark is currently trying to pass a law where they will have a facility or colony in North Africa to send their asylum seekers to and even when they are granted asylum they still can’t move to Denmark. Africa needs to wake up and use the social media to name and shame countries dragging us down. One wonders why Denmark is not considering Switzerland or Australia as the dumping ground of asylum seekers.

We need to learn how to maximize our resources and eat what we produce and forget about European aids, they think so lowly of Africans and we shouldn’t entrust our lives into their hands.

One day I believe Africa will rise.

I believe so too. It depends on our actions. Every man must play his part.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 11, 2018
Graciousned:
From whose account of history did you come to belive that Africans have "always" been greedy. Have you ever considered that Ethiopia was never colonized becos they had no natural resources of value to them at the time? Haiti and the Caribbean were invaded their people killed and taken slaves because of what: gold and sugarcane. Before they fought and drove out their French colonizers, only us in Africa still tell our history as what they've told us. And the deception continues! I remember being told tales of how those days people would leave their farm produce in d farm for days nobody will steal them, people will leave their goods in the market place people who came to buy will drop the money(cowries) for them and take d produce they wanted to buy. There was no stealing if somebody stole they would be stripped naked and dragged round the village. Does this sound like people who would sell their children for nothing? Cos as far as I know the colonizers had nothing that's why they came to Africa, to steal and teach us to change our way of life and become like them(immoral and without regard for human life). When they came they met a civilization, a structured and organized people and they couldn't believe it. Out of greed and jealousy they destroyed what we had that was working for us. The mistake we made was that we welcomed them, our neighbours who killed the first of them that came made them to go and bring guns. Think my people and wake up from the deception. We were and are a great nation! We just need to start re-teaching our children and writing our own history!

How hadn't Ethiopia had valuable natural resources when it has:
- the most fertile land in Africa which can be used to grow high quality and quantity foods?
- abundant rivers which can be used for many purposes?
- great climate for settlers?
- abundant minerals like gold, silver, platinum, etc...?
- one of the most beautiful landscapes in the world?

Europeans and others had a great interest in colonizing Ethiopia, but it didn't materialized because:
- some of them were kicked out when they tried (example, Ottoman Turk, Egypt and Italy).
- they were played against each other by Ethiopia (example, France, British and Russia).
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 9:02am On Mar 11, 2018
Graciousned:
I believe this story is a lie we have been told for generations. With this behaviour of Italians in 1980 at a time of independence and all, do you truly believe that in 1940ish they (the colonizers) didn't kill Africans who refused themselves from being taken slaves, force them into ships like the bible says in Deuteronomy 28,29? Then turned around to spin the tale that we sold each other for mirror. Like seriously!? MIRROR!? wow! Anyone who believes that bulls..t version of our history told to us by the same people who hate us as much as these italians displayed at a different time in history when things were surposed to be better /"more friendly" would be without a doubt as gullible as they say we are.

Bros the African got warriors, and great fighter then. How come a few whitemen defeat them, steal their gods, kidnapped their children and take them overseas without the black fighting back? They can't just defeat us in our land without the help of our people... think again!!!
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 11, 2018
Today they package the waste in drinks, drugs, food, electronic and canned products and send them to us as imports, they make money of their waste and we remain impoverished and sick due to our greed...
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Exciton(m): 3:03pm On Mar 11, 2018
nograv:

Thank you my brother, it is nice to see that some of us have awoken..

If they make this waste then they should keep it. There are so many foreign abuses on Nigerian soil it isnt funny. Till today Russian and Chinese Trawlers steal our fish with impunity to sell to us and their own people for profit. We sit there and let it happen..

Foreigners like come to Naija to rob the country blind flouting every law and we allow it. They would never allow a Naija man to do business let alone live in peace in their country yet we allow this foolishness in ours..

We need better politicians jare..

Lol. Why should they keep it when a sub-continent full of suckers is available??

Most of you don't get it. There are no hard rules in life. Universal declaration of human rights, treaties, etc are broken all the time. The extent of inviolability of laws is only as strong as the institutions that enforce it. If your country doesn't enforce the right laws or care about safety of their people, you suffer.

The dumb gets fvcked is more like the fundamental rule. It's really that simple, and we are our own referees in this game. It's our job, not theirs, to ensure we have a society of educated people who can create wealth and make deals that won't get the nation bleeped.

If they come and plunder our waters for fish (a billion dollar industry), dump waste on our lands, transfer prisoners, buy precious metals for cheap etc, it's not their fault. It's ours!

The fact that you expect them to be of a higher moral standard than us is proof that you think they're superior. This is the mentality of most sub-saharan Africans. If we truly thought of them as equals, we'll be thinking of how to make favourable win-win deals (or zero-sum deals favouring us in the worst case) just as often as they do.

In this specific case, if our EPA wasn't weak, if we properly educated our chemists, adequately equipped our institutions, etc it would be a simple matter to detect the toxic materials right at the port and send them back regardless of whether there's some greedy fücker who would prefer to poison an entire village in exchange for a pittance.

In sum: instead of lamentating that white people are evil racists out to ruin us, we have to get smart enough to rise above our baser instincts and put less important things like our tribal/religious differences behind us, structure our society and make political and financial deals in a manner that serves our interests. If we can't do this, if we can't create win-win scenarios among our different tribes for cooperation, we're just sitting ducks waiting to be fücked by anyone!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by kcreativeme: 6:09pm On Mar 11, 2018
Graciousned:

Graciousned, I quite agree with you on some of your points and I appreciate that you stated them with maturity and wisdom but I beg to disagree with you on some points.
The Europeans were not just interested in natural resources (though I can't remember now if the Ethiopians had natural resources but could get leather from their cattle), they were also interested in human resources and their ego to show that they controlled lots of territories. Let's not forget that each territories also pay tribute or tax to them.
It's true that they met top notch structure in terms of morals and civility but they were always looking out for greedy set of people who acted as betrayers. I will give some examples of ancient and recent times.
Cleopatra the last Pharaoh of Egypt supported the Romans to battle her brother so that she could become Pharaoh
Akitoye supported the British in battle against Kosovo so that he could be re-instated as Oba of Lagos (this was the beginning of colonisation of the entity called Nigeria).
Blaise Compare betrayed his friend Thomas Sankara (Burkina Faso) to the French colonial masters when he became a threat to them. There are many more examples that I can't remember now or will not write.
Let's not forget that tribes fought tribes to get slaves so they could trade for guns and mirrors.
Let me stop here cos this page go just full.
Sorry I replied late.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Graciousned: 9:46pm On Mar 17, 2018
Yes o! We had warriors who fought with what? Bows and arrows, spears abi. While they came with gun. They only need to kill a few people and the others will comply and allow them to do what they want with them... Think it's all about mind rape.

wizzywisdom:

Bros the African got warriors, and great fighter then. How come a few whitemen defeat them, steal their gods, kidnapped their children and take them overseas without the black fighting back? They can't just defeat us in our land without the help of our people... think again!!!
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Graciousned: 9:54pm On Mar 17, 2018
Well said but with our present crop of political leaders and poverty minded society. The deliberate act to keep the nation empoverished fuels this gullibility. Getting our leaders to wake up and think right will be our greatest challenge ever. Religious leaders are not left out all they do is fill the minds of people with fear and hopelessness, while robbing them. Nigeria, What is the solution

Exciton:

Lol. Why should they keep it when a sub-continent full of suckers is available??

Most of you don't get it. There are no hard rules in life. Universal declaration of human rights, treaties, etc are broken all the time. The extent of inviolability of laws is only as strong as the institutions that enforce it. If your country doesn't enforce the right laws or care about safety of their people, you suffer.

The dumb gets fvcked is more like the fundamental rule. It's really that simple, and we are our own referees in this game. It's our job, not theirs, to ensure we have a society of educated people who can create wealth and make deals that won't get the nation bleeped.

If they come and plunder our waters for fish (a billion dollar industry), dump waste on our lands, transfer prisoners, buy precious metals for cheap etc, it's not their fault. It's ours!

The fact that you expect them to be of a higher moral standard than us is proof that you think they're superior. This is the mentality of most sub-saharan Africans. If we truly thought of them as equals, we'll be thinking of how to make favourable win-win deals (or zero-sum deals favouring us in the worst case) just as often as they do.

In this specific case, if our EPA wasn't weak, if we properly educated our chemists, adequately equipped our institutions, etc it would be a simple matter to detect the toxic materials right at the port and send them back regardless of whether there's some greedy fücker who would prefer to poison an entire village in exchange for a pittance.

In sum: instead of lamentating that white people are evil racists out to ruin us, we have to get smart enough to rise above our baser instincts and put less important things like our tribal/religious differences behind us, structure our society and make political and financial deals in a manner that serves our interests. If we can't do this, if we can't create win-win scenarios among our different tribes for cooperation, we're just sitting ducks waiting to be fücked by anyone!

Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Graciousned: 10:29pm On Mar 17, 2018
Ok. I had to go and research about this. Now depending on the time frame Ethiopia at some point in their history was colonized by Italy though not for long. It was taken from Mussolini by allied states and rebel fighters after WWII and Haile selassie was made emperor. Similar thing happened in Liberia.
They had indeed fought against the Italians using d weapons they had given then with the scheme of "divide and conquer" in mind. So they had to unite and fight. That being said with how rich they were, today they're not the largest economy, so what went wrong? Never formally colonized, their resources not stolen yet what went wrong there.

Btw in a country like 9ja this would have been impossible because first of all there was nothing like "Nigeria" as a country. We were just regions so the British took a different approach. "Invade and capture"! Twas easier

Hati13:

How hadn't Ethiopia had valuable natural resources when it has:
- the most fertile land in Africa which can be used to grow high quality and quantity foods?
- abundant rivers which can be used for many purposes?
- great climate for settlers?
- abundant minerals like gold, silver, platinum, etc...?
- one of the most beautiful landscapes in the world?

Europeans and others had a great interest in colonizing Ethiopia, but it didn't materialized because:
- some of them were kicked out when they tried (example, Ottoman Turk, Egypt and Italy).
- they were played against each other by Ethiopia (example, France, British and Russia).
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 6:11pm On Mar 18, 2018
Graciousned:
Ok. I had to go and research about this. Now depending on the time frame Ethiopia at some point in their history was colonized by Italy though not for long. It was taken from Mussolini by allied states and rebel fighters after WWII and Haile selassie was made emperor. Similar thing happened in Liberia.
They had indeed fought against the Italians using d weapons they had given then with the scheme of "divide and conquer" in mind. So they had to unite and fight. That being said with how rich they were, today they're not the largest economy, so what went wrong? Never formally colonized, their resources not stolen yet what went wrong there.

Btw in a country like 9ja this would have been impossible because first of all there was nothing like "Nigeria" as a country. We were just regions so the British took a different approach. "Invade and capture"! Twas easier

Ethiopia was occupying not colonized. Italy tried it during her occupation, but failed.

The reason why Ethiopia is poor today is because:-
- the country was devastated beyond repair in 16th and 17th century, and this prevents Ethiopia from joining early capitalism with Europeans back then.
- the aristocracies in the past were very conservative and also didn't cared about changing the life of the mass ppl.
- the Derg government (1974-91) destroyed the economy and when the current government sized power, there was almost no Gold and foreign currencies in the Bank.

But Ethiopia is now recovering greatly and within the next couple of decades we will get out of this mess.

Do you want Nigeria to remain united?
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Graciousned: 11:41pm On Apr 06, 2018
What do you mean by �
Hati13:

Ethiopia was occupying not colonized.
being occupied and being colonized I don't see the difference. Italy occupied Ethiopia for a while though not for long unless if that history was a lie.

Hati13:
But Ethiopia is now recovering greatly and within the next couple of decades we will get out of this mess.
Congratulations I wish you guys progress! When one succeeds we all succeed.

Hati13:
Do you want Nigeria to remain united?
Depends before the creation of Nigeria by the colonial masters there was only regions. Cos if you take a close look at Nigeria we are not one people with one native/tribal language over 300 tribes with different native tongues. And thats a big problem! So if we can cross that barrier and see each Other as one then there's no need for a breakup, we do need each Other even though we won't acknowledge it.
Re: In The 1980s, Italy Paid Koko, A Nigeria Town $100 A Month To Store Toxic Waste by Nobody: 5:26am On Apr 08, 2018
Graciousned:
What do you mean by �
being occupied and being colonized I don't see the difference. Italy occupied Ethiopia for a while though not for long unless if that history was a lie.

Congratulations I wish you guys progress! When one succeeds we all succeed.

Depends before the creation of Nigeria by the colonial masters there was only regions. Cos if you take a close look at Nigeria we are not one people with one native/tribal language over 300 tribes with different native tongues. And thats a big problem! So if we can cross that barrier and see each Other as one then there's no need for a breakup, we do need each Other even though we won't acknowledge it.
While you should because the 2 are different. For example, France and many European countries were occupied by Germany during WWII, but that doesn’t mean that they were colonized. There are criterias for one to be considered to be colonized and Ethiopia case didn’t match with that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Crack In Pro-Buhari Group As Reps Move To Oust Gbajabiamila - Daily Trust / Reno Omokri: Imo State Became Hopeless After Emeka Ihedioha Was Unjustly Removed / 3 Dead As Unknown Gunmen Attack Police In Enugu (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.