Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:41 AM

Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name (20056 Views)

What Happens To Your Facebook Account After You Die / "It's Time To Delete Your Facebook Account" - Brian Acton, Whatsapp Co-founder / Official Video!! How To Make Your Facebook Name Become Invisible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by sketcherJ(m): 7:53am On Mar 10, 2018
You would have noticed that crazy trend now on Facebook for some years, in which some users intentionally register their names incorrectly or change, edit, and customize their Facebook names or IDs to look cool, posh or trendy.. whereby you would see a guy who was named Akinola Davis from birth and has this name on all his professional certifications and IDs, would be Harkinola Darviss on Facebook, and Sandra Smith would likely be Cuteberry Smith, although it seems harmless and just fun catching on the social media, but allow me to be a spoilsport this once (sorry please!) by saying that on the real sense of it..customizing your name on Facebook actually has its own disadvantages which you might find costly at the end of the day.. Let's get into it..

It could lose you a job : Do you know that customizing your name on Facebook could lose you a sweet deal or a job?
There have been cases of many job applicants whose applications letters have been reportedly thrown into the trash can because the Hiring Firms crosschecked the applicants contacts and their Social media profiles and because of the inconsistency, they were rejected. Nowadays Firms run background check on their prospective employees just to get little or no information about them, and your Facebook account is one of those things they use to judge your character, know things about you, your level of seriousness etc ,and it all starts from your Facebook ID.
Although not all Recruiting agencies or companies do this, but you don't want to take that chance of not getting your dream job, because of just a harmless Facebook customized name.. I will enjoin you to treat your Facebook Profile professionally like your LinkedIn profile.

The Idea behind Facebook itself : Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook to be an avenue where people could connect with each other and most especially reunite people that have lost contacts. there are many of your colleagues and friends whom might have lost your contact details and would like to reach you, their main destination would be Facebook, where they d hoped to search your real name and hook up with you, now if you had spelt your name wrongly or changed your Facebook name, they might not be able to get to your account, then the purpose of having an account on Facebook would have been defeated..
A guy once shared a testimony on how his old time friend was able to link him for a job in his company. his story goes thus " my friend, who knew that I could do a certain task with ease then in the school days, remembered my name when the opportunity came up, But we have lost contacts then, he was able to get me tracked via my facebook. if I had used funny name like "horpheyemi, Holuwhathobi, Wizdaddy etc. what will have become of me"
For your friends, your loved ones, your colleagues to find you on Facebook with ease, Your Real Name is key.

It is not professional : Customizing your Facebook Name is not professional as it makes you look like (let's be frank) an unserious fellow who still has a lot to learn, it is not allowed and advisable in the corporate world and you could look bad to your prospective clients or partners If they checked your facebook profile,and your names are spelled wrongly.

It makes your Facebook Account looks phoney : Having a customized or fake Name on your facebook profile makes your account appears fake and not trustworthy since cyber fraudsters who prowl social media especially Facebook creates fake accounts with a fake name to swindle and dupe the unsuspecting public.Having or operating a Fake Social media Profile is considered Illegal in many parts of the world and may carry big punishments.

Source : http://www.dandywriter.com/2017/12/five-solid-reasons-why-you-shouldnt.html?

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by sketcherJ(m): 7:53am On Mar 10, 2018
Do you know u could get arrested too for modifying or customizing your Facebook name? How?
Check the last reason here
http://www.dandywriter.com/2017/12/five-solid-reasons-why-you-shouldnt.html?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Blakjewelry(m): 8:10am On Mar 10, 2018
I am telling you, you will be looking for a lost friend not knowing he or she is right under your nose with one heck of a name

89 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Nobody: 8:18am On Mar 10, 2018
My friend Stella name for facebook na. Frenzy coded chic sad sad

Me self confuse

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by thesicilian: 8:23am On Mar 10, 2018
One solid reason why I customize mine: I don't want to be found by every Tom, Dick and Harry looking for me. If I need you I'll find you.

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by sketcherJ(m): 11:07am On Mar 10, 2018
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by igboOSU: 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
Really?

But my names are

SHUKHUDHI TOHSHUKU NNAMDI COWNU

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Goodnuel: 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
You will eventually find them, or they find you...

Mutual friends and people you may know will always help... So you want me to go and type all my native names there, so that the computer will reject it abi??

undecided undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by davibid: 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
G
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by adaksbullet: 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
It is ur concerned? angry
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by damlawrence101: 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
Receive sense
thesicilian:
One solid reason why I customize mine: I don't want to be found by every Tom, Dick and Harry looking for me. If I need you I'll find you.

21 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by SleekyP(m): 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
What if there is no facebook? undecided I only do adverts on there.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by haconjy(m): 1:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
To me its stupidity

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by tompat86(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
I once spelt my name in a very funny way and posted a comment on Brilla fm fans page some years back,while the presenter was reading out names and commentz from their facebook page,he skipped mine,then i realised i have to change it..
Assuming na lottery na so i for take miss d opportunity

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Fadiga24(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
thesicilian:

Sounds like hollywood movie stuff smiley

7 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Nobody: 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
People do it to avoid stalking or someone they don't want to find out about them. Same reason why I am not using my surname on Facebook.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by oyetunder(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
agreed! Imagine, I traced an old friend for 5 years on facebook to no avail. Last week I saw his younger brother on friend suggestion. I added him and contacted him. Sadly, he told me that my friend died of frustration last month after years without any job since he graduated. I contacted all our old friends, none had been able to trace him on facebook all these years. was he on facebook? Yes, he was, but he customised his name.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by AuntyAmope(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
Lol names like:
-Olamide becomes Horlarmidey
-Lukman becomes Lookmern
-Yetunde becomes Yay Tune Day
-Bayo becomes Baryour
-Tomori to TourMoreRee
-Ajadi becomes Hajerdee
-Aminat becomes HerMeeNat
-Rofiat becomes Rhopheeheart

Pls how on earth can one locate these peeps undecided

But na girls do am pass

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by calddon(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
1. I dont want to be found on social media, my account my biz

2. I must not be employed, i could start my small business, watch it grow and be an employer of labour

3. Who i wish to socialize with on social media is entirely up to me....as far as am concerned i musnt own a social media account undecided

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by SleekyP(m): 1:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
Adron Homes and Properties Limited still Selling....
Deposit as low as 100k and spread the remaining balance for the period of 14months...you also get a bag of rice and 2chicken for this Easter grin grin
Call me for more info 08148450760

1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by CR77(f): 1:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
angry funny you
thesicilian:
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by SleekyP(m): 1:11pm On Mar 10, 2018
Chikita66:
People do it to avoid stalking or someone they don't want to find out about them. Same reason why I am not using my surname on Facebook.
Good Move cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by thunderbabs: 1:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
Una don come again ooo.

Linkedin no work for professionals again ni abi what is you people's problem nitori Olorun. Cant someone jus have fun again ni with his fbk i.d again ni.

Linkedin is serving the professional purpose, abeg.

Mk una carry una over make life more difficult comor hia jare

8 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by trouper9(m): 1:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
another man's food is another man poison, what rock my boat may sink yours

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Kennylash11(m): 1:12pm On Mar 10, 2018
damlawrence101:
Receive sense
Amen
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by tstx(m): 1:13pm On Mar 10, 2018
Please tell them ooooo..

Meanwhile check this out What Your Facebook Status Updates Say About Your Personality
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Primusinterpares(m): 1:14pm On Mar 10, 2018
dem nor go still here
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Ellabae(f): 1:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
Some names got me laughing. Well it's fun for them.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by sholla20(m): 1:16pm On Mar 10, 2018
OP, is it your Facebook?, abeg, let our girls continue with the trend ooo, even angel go find am difficult to locate them with blessing.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by dammiedot(m): 1:16pm On Mar 10, 2018
Is it the same Facebook that is going old school, I am contemplating deleting my account sef
Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 10, 2018
I can't spare my self of the fun so I have two facebook accounts,one customized and the other real,just incase real people needs to find me.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Customize Your Facebook Name by justmi1: 1:17pm On Mar 10, 2018
thesicilian:
what if everyone is like you and don't want to be found by every "TOM, DICK AND HARRY"?

13 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Cool Camon CX Features You Should Be Using (Pics Inside) / Which App Can I Use To Change Voice During Call On Android / Gionee M3 Discussion Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.