Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,812 members, 7,798,734 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design (23208 Views)

Kindly Help Me Critique This four Bedroom Bungalow Plan / Please Critique This My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design On A Plot Of Land / Unique Duplex Design (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 10:06am On Mar 10, 2018
Hey Fam,
So my mum is building a 5 bedroom duplex in the east. This is the design from her “contractor”.

I wanted to get opinions from other experts here on their opinion of the design and what they can advice I ask them to change.

All inputs will be appreciated.
Thank you

Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 10:08am On Mar 10, 2018
More pics

Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by ceelog(m): 11:01am On Mar 10, 2018
Oluwa18:
Hey Fam,
So my mum is building a 5 bedroom duplex in the east. This is the design from her “contractor”.

I wanted to get opinions from other experts here on their opinion of the design and what they can advice I ask them to change.

All inputs will be appreciated.
Thank you

Good building plan.
It's a six bedroom duplex not 5.

The dimensions are not very legible.

There are too many walls at the ground floor, why not an open floor plan for Main Lounge and Dining?

Too many bathrooms. Any harm sharing esp the two rooms at the extreme, up and down?

The Master bath seems small to me. A walk-in closet (or expand the present closet as an Lshape while maximizing that empty wall) in the Master bedroom will be good for this large house.

Overall good plan and use of space.

My input

3 Likes

Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 11:22am On Mar 10, 2018
ceelog:

Good building plan.
It's a six bedroom duplex not 5.

The dimensions are not very legible.

There are too many walls at the ground floor, why not an open floor plan for Main Lounge and Dining?

Too many bathrooms. Any harm sharing esp the two rooms at the extreme, up and down?

The Master bath seems small to me. A walk-in closet (or expand the present closet as an Lshape while maximizing that empty wall) in the Master bedroom will be good for this large house.

Overall good plan and use of space.

My input

Thank you Ceelog,
I am trying to advise her to make it a 5 bedroom which she has agreed. 3 BR upstairs and 2 downstairs

Please discuss

I will look into the bathrooms and I don’t think shatinfwill be bad idea.

Do you have a problem with the pillars?
Thanks
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by MATP: 2:10pm On Mar 10, 2018
pls let somebody put me through, can the stairs on the ground floor work with the toilet like that ?
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 3:13pm On Mar 10, 2018
Can someone explain to him ?
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 5:09pm On Mar 10, 2018
Bump
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by abouzaid: 5:59pm On Mar 10, 2018
Oluwa18:
Bump
congratulations but I have a few objections to your plan

(1)the living room does not have cross ventilation, this would make it to feel hot and dark. to solve this problem, you should place a window on the wall of the living room that faces the front veranda, that way, air can come in from one window and leave from another one while allowing daylight to enter the living room from two sides instead of the current one side only.

(2) your dining room has no cross ventilation and seems too small for such a big house, you can solve it by removing the wall between the dining room and the living room thereby achieving cross ventilation in both rooms.
(3)after removing the wall between the dining room and the living room, please remove that L shaped wall between the living room and the kitchen door, that place must have a straight wall in order for the living room to feel large, if you build this house like this, the living would not contain much furniture
(3) the door from the visitors toilet to the living room should be moved to the end of the wall where it joins the dining room wall,that way you would have a continuous wall to place your furniture or television.
(4) leave the house as a six bedroom duplex as drawn, if you change the floor plan,you might introduce new problems, also leave the toilets as drawn, don't share.
(5) the open to above space on the upper floor is a waste of space, please build another bedroom with its own self contain bathroom there thereby converting the house to a seven bedroom duplex, why waste money building a large house with a few bedrooms
(6) the living room upstairs is too small due to poor design, the walls of the living room should be moved to meet the walls of the open from above space, thereby increasing the size of the living room.
(7) the living room upstairs lacks cross ventilation and an additional window should be placed on the wall facing the veranda to solve it.
(cool the walls of the living room upstairs is pushing into the Masters bedroom, this should be pushed out, infact, the living room upstairs should be expanded by taking more space from the veranda in front of it.
(9) there's a few other less important problems but I need to see a more clear plan with measurements to see if I can offer solutions to it.
good luck.and yes those pillars would cost money and occupy space.

1 Like

Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by ceelog(m): 6:24pm On Mar 10, 2018
Oluwa18:

Thank you Ceelog,
I am trying to advise her to make it a 5 bedroom which she has agreed. 3 BR upstairs and 2 downstairs

Please discuss

I will look into the bathrooms and I don’t think shatinfwill be bad idea.

Do you have a problem with the pillars?
Thanks

Disclaimer: I ain't no builder or engineer. Just a construction enthusiast.

If you have decided to change to 5 bedroom house...then get a new plan from a competent architect

No qualms with the pillars. It's ur choice.

Looking at the main lounge, there is no cross ventilation. So why not open that wall into the dining for good air movt and aesthetics
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by MATP: 8:15pm On Mar 10, 2018
I think I can help if u need another design or adjustments
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 7:00pm On Mar 12, 2018
abouzaid:
congratulations but I have a few objections to your plan

(1)the living room does not have cross ventilation, this would make it to feel hot and dark. to solve this problem, you should place a window on the wall of the living room that faces the front veranda, that way, air can come in from one window and leave from another one while allowing daylight to enter the living room from two sides instead of the current one side only.

(2) your dining room has no cross ventilation and seems too small for such a big house, you can solve it by removing the wall between the dining room and the living room thereby achieving cross ventilation in both rooms.
(3)after removing the wall between the dining room and the living room, please remove that L shaped wall between the living room and the kitchen door, that place must have a straight wall in order for the living room to feel large, if you build this house like this, the living would not contain much furniture
(3) the door from the visitors toilet to the living room should be moved to the end of the wall where it joins the dining room wall,that way you would have a continuous wall to place your furniture or television.
(4) leave the house as a six bedroom duplex as drawn, if you change the floor plan,you might introduce new problems, also leave the toilets as drawn, don't share.
(5) the open to above space on the upper floor is a waste of space, please build another bedroom with its own self contain bathroom there thereby converting the house to a seven bedroom duplex, why waste money building a large house with a few bedrooms
(6) the living room upstairs is too small due to poor design, the walls of the living room should be moved to meet the walls of the open from above space, thereby increasing the size of the living room.
(7) the living room upstairs lacks cross ventilation and an additional window should be placed on the wall facing the veranda to solve it.
(cool the walls of the living room upstairs is pushing into the Masters bedroom, this should be pushed out, infact, the living room upstairs should be expanded by taking more space from the veranda in front of it.
(9) there's a few other less important problems but I need to see a more clear plan with measurements to see if I can offer solutions to it.
good luck.and yes those pillars would cost money and occupy space.

Thank you for an elaborate response. Much appreciated.
I will reply you in a bit on which of your recommendations that are spot on.
Thank you
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 7:02pm On Mar 12, 2018
MATP:
I think I can help if u need another design or adjustments

Oga , at least make your contribution here .
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by Oluwa18: 9:05pm On Mar 12, 2018
Bump
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by MATP: 9:39pm On Mar 12, 2018
Oluwa18:

Oga , at least make your contribution here .
I will but am somehow busy for now
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by SteveJenkins: 11:48am On Apr 14, 2019
I would hate to speak about Functionality of the spaces yet when the building just looks like the everyday Triangle Capped buildings with pillars in front... We see these things everyday... Enlightened Architects are making the difference and still not incurring any more cost..
People should consider having buildings that will speak for their personality and taste.
Re: Critique My 5 Bedroom Duplex Design by aleniboro(m): 3:36pm On Nov 10, 2019
SteveJenkins:
I would hate to speak about Functionality of the spaces yet when the building just looks like the everyday Triangle Capped buildings with pillars in front... We see these things everyday... Enlightened Architects are making the difference and still not incurring any more cost..
People should consider having buildings that will speak for their personality and taste.
All that you people do is condemn what others do and make a lot of mouths. She asks for constructive criticism not that you should come and be bragging here.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Making Of The "Captivating" 5 Bedrooms Duplex In Enugu / 6 Tips To Estimate The Cost Of Building A Duplex In Nigeria / Reasons Why You Must Own Your House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.