Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,451 members, 7,801,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars (19958 Views)

China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / Some Tips On Buying Used/second-hand Cars / Did America & Europe Bribed Nigeria Government To Change To Left Hand Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Automotive1(m): 3:59am On Mar 11, 2018

Most of us dip into the used car market to get the next model at a lower price, but having peace of mind over its reliability is an important factor.

If you’re buying a car over ten years old, you have an over 80 per cent chance of mechanical or electrical breakdown in the subsequent three years.

While it makes financial sense to buy a used car, it can also mean footing the bill for repairs you are not prepared for .

Here are the lists of the most common problems with used vehicles

1. Damaged or Flat Tires and Wheels
Impacts and harsh conditions can produce damages in wheel rims or sidewalls. Wearing of irregular tires can also be experienced due to wheel misalignment. 

2. Electrical
As modern cars are loaded with more tech than ever, electrical gripes are some of the biggest problem encountered.

3. Clutch
As mileage increases, slipping or burnt out clutches can become a problem.

4. Defective battery
It is advisable to change batteries that come with a used or second hand cars. Batteries loose their powers after 3-5 years.

5. Malfunctioning starter motor
The starter motor is quite sensitive in its own way. The springs may decline functioning properly because of corrosion. 

6. Fuel problems
In some cases, leaking pipes, faulty injectors and busted pumps are encountered.

7. Brakes
Having fully functioning brakes is the most vital feature of your car, so it’s disappointing to see faults developing on few used models.

8. Alternator
The traditional alternator could be phased out when we finally shift to hybrids and electric cars, but it’s an issue in used models.

9. Cylinder head gasket 
This is also a problem common to used cars. White smoke and coolant leaks are symptoms of a cylinder head gasket failure.

10. Air-con condenser
Air-conditioner is a necessity for those hot days in Nigeria.New condensers will surely fix the issue .

12. Window motor/regulator 
Gone are the days of winding your windows down by hand. But even modern motors can burn out. Fixes were required on few used cars.

13. Spark plugs
As part of the ignition system,  spark plugs are among the busiest components in a vehicle.It is advisable to change them when you buy a used car. They should be replaced every after 10,000 miles.

14. Rust
While not as serious as any issue involving your engine, rust is certainly prevalent among older second hand vehicles that haven’t been properly maintained.

Do you have any addition to the above lists?

Source https://autojosh.com/14-most-common-problems-with-used-and-second-hand-cars/

Cc Lalasticlala Mynd44

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by hisgrace090: 5:00am On Mar 11, 2018
I bought a second hand car and change everything changeable in it, it's now almost a new car.

Radiator water now last more than a month before reduction, weras before I top it daily.

AC now chilling, werass before it blows hot air.

Despite being a six cylinder Toyota Camry, fuel guage now hardly drops weras before I almost buy 2 to3 thousand naira worth of fuel daily.

Your determination to upgrade especially when you can afford it is the secrete.

Finally, your old car can get better if you wish. All car parts are in the market for you.

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Nobody: 6:59am On Mar 11, 2018
Nothing like a brand new car...... God bless your children!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Osasnidas(m): 6:59am On Mar 11, 2018
Interesting...

2 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Olukokosir(m): 7:01am On Mar 11, 2018
Notin lyk d car u buy from Ilu oyinbo. Mk u ursef cum ship am nd pay ur dues.

My rolls Royce phantom still dey sha prapra till date.

Haters wnt blv I own a rolls Royce phantom lyk dat

8 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by femi4: 7:02am On Mar 11, 2018
It depends on the second hand grade

3 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by ipobarecriminals: 7:02am On Mar 11, 2018
all u need to do nah maintenence /regular checkup. Then u'll enjoy ur ride

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Favbolu(m): 7:16am On Mar 11, 2018
Brand new car is the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by valstan: 7:18am On Mar 11, 2018
Olukokosir:

who dash monkey banana. Toy rolls royce rider.

7 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by japansco(m): 7:20am On Mar 11, 2018
New is new, u can't compare the two

2 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by darocha1: 7:22am On Mar 11, 2018
not true in all cases.
i bought my cherokee jeep tokunbo last year and am selling it off to get a hiace now. I can confidently say who ever buys the car won't experience any of these alighted issue despite it is naija used .
However, you can't buy a car and not have at least 1 thing to put in order. Our taste are different
Pix below....08137539988

https://www.nairaland.com/4090446/cherokee-laredo-jeep-2005

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Awoleesu(m): 7:28am On Mar 11, 2018
Olukokosir:

Hehehehehehe! Lwkmd!
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by fapcrook(m): 7:47am On Mar 11, 2018
Thank God , no big brother news early Sunday morning

3 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by TalkingBird: 7:58am On Mar 11, 2018
Pls how did you handle the fuel usage?.

hisgrace090:
I bought a second hand car and change everything changeable in it, it's now almost a new car.

Radiator water now last more than a month before reduction, weras before I top it daily.

Despite being a six cylinder Toyota Camry, fuel guage now hardly drops weras before I almost buy 2 to3 thousand naira worth of fuel daily.

Finally, your old car can get better if you wish. All car parts are in the market for you.

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Breezzy(m): 8:05am On Mar 11, 2018
Car is car whether used or not, even the phone you bought new one yesterday is second hand today

2 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by DukeNija(m): 8:05am On Mar 11, 2018
hisgrace090:

Pls what did you do to your AC
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by vertueptime: 8:11am On Mar 11, 2018
darocha1:
not true in all cases.
i bought my cherokee jeep tokunbo last year and am selling it off to get a hiace now. I can confidently say who ever buys the car won't experience any of these alighted issue despite it is naija used.
Pix below....08137539988

Lol fuel drinker
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by debolayinka(m): 8:17am On Mar 11, 2018
Fuel pumps and brake pads.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by henrixx(m): 8:18am On Mar 11, 2018
there are many good used cars out there. that aren't this bad. naija people should stop making it look like if a car is naija used then it's finished. what you buy brand new today. becomes a used item tomorrow
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by hisgrace090: 8:29am On Mar 11, 2018
DukeNija:

Pls what did you do to your AC

After filling gas, AC still blows hot air, but the man knows nothing more to do.

I went to another technician who without hesitation orders that all air vent filters should be changed to new ones, I accepted, bought them, and he fixed them for the first time I enjoy a chilling AC in the car.

3 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by darocha1: 8:29am On Mar 11, 2018
vertueptime:

Lol fuel drinker

i bet u just typed this out of your sheer ignorance .
i use 6k fuel from lagos-to ijebu and back to lagos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by iamjavadem(m): 8:31am On Mar 11, 2018
Of course you can't buy second hand cars not expect to fix stuff, that's why you go along with a mechanic to access how much work is to be done so you can bargain the price based on that. I am on my 4th used car.

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Gkemz: 8:49am On Mar 11, 2018
It also depends on how you operate it. Give that same new car to a careless driver and see how it goes.
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by FBIL: 8:53am On Mar 11, 2018
Very sound Gear Box pulled from Hybrid Lexus 400h after it was bought and converted, NOW FOR SALE. I mean very very sound. Interested buyer should contact: 08158308561
PRICE IS AT A GIVE-AWAY!!

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Frederick2017: 9:21am On Mar 11, 2018
This 2006 highlander direct tokunbo is for sale. Car is very sound with nothing to fix. Seller is the direct owner.
Car is Lagos cleared with fully paid duty.

Interested and serious buyer should pls call this no

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by poyet(m): 9:22am On Mar 11, 2018
Lovely write up. I must commend Automotive1 and AutoJoshNG for their vehicles-focussed write ups. Can you please come up with another article the panacea to this challenges you itemized?

2 Likes

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by DukeNija(m): 9:36am On Mar 11, 2018
hisgrace090:

After filling gas, AC still blows hot air, but the man knows nothing more to do.

I went to another technician who without hesitation orders that all air vent filters should be changed to new ones, I accepted, bought them, and he fixed them for the first time I enjoy a chilling AC in the car.

Pls is d technician in Lagos? I need mine checked cos I have d same problem

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by millomaniac: 9:55am On Mar 11, 2018
Olukokosir:

Dont mind dem haters jooo. I am a witness to your 1880 rollscroyce phantom grin
Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by Automotive1(m): 10:17am On Mar 11, 2018
poyet:
Lovely write up. I must commend Automotive1 and AutoJoshNG for their vehicles-focussed write ups. Can you please come up with another article the panacea to this challenges you itemized?

Thanks for the Compliments sir grin

1 Like

Re: 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars by vertueptime: 10:35am On Mar 11, 2018
darocha1:

i bet u just typed this out of your sheer ignorance .
i use 6k fuel from lagos-to ijebu and back to lagos

Ok enlightened fellow, pls dnt sell it, urs is a special version

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Tanker And BRT Bus Accident In Abuja This Morning / Waymo Self-driving Cars Becomes Soft Before Hitting A Pedestrian / Cars45, Do They Actually Buy Your Car In 45 Minutes? – By Autojosh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.