|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,861,671 members, 6,865,280 topics. Date: Monday, 16 May 2022 at 02:15 PM
Land Use Charge - Repealed And Re-enacted; A Must Read By Onaara Michael / Land Use Charge - Repealed And Re-enacted; A Must Read By Onaara Michael / Land Use Act: Save Lagos Group Cautions Police, DSS, Others Against Infringing O (2) (3) (4)
|RE: Land Use Charges. by Btruth: 11:26am On Mar 12, 2018|
*LAND USE CHARGE: AMBODE SHOULD GO BACK TO SCHOOL*
I have watched Governor Ambode’s video where he made a failed attempt to defend the obnoxious land use charge.
To start with, Governor Ambode does not know mathematics and does not understand economics. And he claims to be a chartered accountant.
The growth in Land Use Charge from N50,000 to N250,000 is 400% increase. Current Inflation rate is 15%. How can you increase a charge by 27 times the current inflation rate?
An increase of 400% overnight is called financial shock. When financial shock to people’s income is higher than inflation rate, people are effectively impoverished
If the government wants to go from N50,000 to N250,000, it must be *graduated* over the 15 year period for which the rate should have been reviewed as shown below:
Year-0 (2017-last year): N50,000
If this 400% land use charge is enforced, all landlords and commercial property owners will increase their rents/fees thereby further impoverishing the people.
1. A landlord will increase his rent,
2. The event centre operator will increase his hall rental fee for a conference/symposium/wedding/birthday
3. Owners of shopping complexes will increase the rents of the shops they have let out
4. Commercial property owners will increase rents on lease office spaces
5. Business/shop owners paying a higher rent on leased office spaces will pass on the higher rent to their customers by increasing the prices of their goods and services.
This is how inflation worsens and people are systematically impoverished to fund Tinubu’s money-hungry pocket.
We must bear in mind that Ambode has already increased BRT/LAGBUS fare, Toll tariff, water rates, vehicle licence, introduced Radio tax, vehicle registration, road worthiness etc.
Now Land Use Charge!
This is the same governor whose government created and legislated monopolies —Alpha Beta (revenue collection), Visionscape (waste management).
Where in the world does government create and legislate monopoly in a free-market economy?
Ambode must go back to school to re-learn economics
Are people made for the government or government is made for the people?
Must people be taxed to death because we want to feed Tinubu’s Alpha Beta?
*By Yomi Oladele*
|Re: RE: Land Use Charges. by rajidestiny(m): 11:29am On Mar 12, 2018|
Ambo fall hand. APC should find better option. How will second term be?
|Re: RE: Land Use Charges. by tourplanet84: 1:28pm On Mar 19, 2018|
1. Even if the land use charge is free or scrapped today, that will not stop property owners from increasing their rents every 2 or 3 years.
2. Without being sentimental, property value all over lagos has appreciated, it is only logical for the tax rate to appreciate as well.
3. An average landlord in ilupeju, magodo, omole, oniru among other high end areas charge as much as N1.5 million per year for a 3 bedroom flat, hence is it too much if these Landlords pay N150,000 to N200,000 per year? Please let us reason together.
4. Once the Oshodi transport terminal & the BRT facility @ Abule Egba is completed, property value will go up as well and trust the land lords we have, they will demand more rent and what will you do? will you ask the govt not to build facilities because you don't want the rent to go up?
5. Lagos is a commercial center hence rent will always go up. the only way that rent will come down is if the govt can build more houses and this can only be done if govt have access to more money.
6. In conclusion, note that more govt revenue will translate to rapid development, hence you need not bother yourself about the hike in land use charge because it will necessitated development for all of us. This is why i am not bothered.,.,.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54