Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,383 members, 7,781,089 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:41 AM

Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. (10451 Views)

Hnd/bsc In Architecture/civil Engineering/building Technology Wanted!!! / Building Technology Project Topics And Materials For Final Year Students / Building Technology Project Topics And Materials. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by abbacool(m): 2:04pm On Mar 12, 2018
Hello builders in the house, i have created this thread to enlighten fresh graduated like myself about our job.
Professional builders in the house please come and share with us from your wealth of experience. Fresh graduates am sure you have questions like:

1.Stages of development for a fresh builder?

2. How fresh graduate should go about getting opportunity ?

3. What software to learn. Etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by abbacool(m): 10:57am On Mar 13, 2018
*OF THE GREATEST NAOBSITES OF THE GREATEST NORTHERN CHAPTERS*

*NAOBS National Workshop is here in Department of Building Unijos, Jos Plateau State.*

Date - 3rd - 5th April 2018.

Registration fee - #5,000
Accommodation and feeding are free.

*Benefits*
- Participation Certificate with CPDU Value valid at NIOB Level.
- Skill Acquisition
- Professional Development Lectures by Professionals from Nigerian Institute of Building NIOB
- Career talk for young Builders by Professional Builders and lots more.

*Interested participating Students should join this platform for proper coordination*

Note: Over 25 Northern NAOBS Chapters are Coming to Building Department University of Jos.
Let's come out and make history.

Follow this link to join *NAOBS NAT'L NORTHERN WORKSHOP @ UNINOS 2018* WhatsApp group: https:///8L3mAFRilEQLgIHw5uMFeU
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by oofjm: 6:26pm On Mar 13, 2018
Nice thread

1 Like

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by abbacool(m): 2:57pm On Mar 14, 2018
Come on builders
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by abbacool(m): 10:11am On Mar 31, 2018
Are there no builders in nairaland?
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by Squirrel01: 3:18am On Apr 11, 2018
there is , Studied building technology, currently serving, looking for a place to update my Practical aspect, I'm proficient in AutoCAD, Archicard,And Revit Architecture.

1 Like

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by NwaAmaikpe: 7:34am On Apr 11, 2018
shocked

Still trying to use AutoCAD 3D to render Buhari's retirement home in Daura.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by Obito555(m): 7:34am On Apr 11, 2018
One guy said a builder is an advanced bricklayer. Is that true?

1 Like

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by huzyboy: 7:36am On Apr 11, 2018
It's nice that you are putting this thread to pass information to building engineers
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by LaudGuy: 7:37am On Apr 11, 2018
I have a question for engineers, why can't caravan or container homes work in Nigeria as a low cost housing solution. Prefabricated two bedroom container homes that can be easily installed and dismantled

3 Likes

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by ScaffoldCON: 7:39am On Apr 11, 2018
Hmmmm... Do I say I'm a builder? But I'm delighted at the sight of this thread.

I'm all about building safety and great finishing, it's what I do...

Opinions and experiences are welcomed though. Bring it on.
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by ScaffoldCON: 7:40am On Apr 11, 2018
LaudGuy:
I have a question for engineers, why can't caravan or container homes work in Nigeria as a low cost housing solution. Prefabricated two bedroom container homes that can be easily installed and dismantled

Isn't that going to cost much? Besides, consider it we have the platform to ground that finishing... Everyone is about the bricks these days.
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by Oblitz(m): 7:40am On Apr 11, 2018
and after building, don't forget to call me for installation of stamped concrete.

check my signature
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by ZarahBuhari: 7:41am On Apr 11, 2018
LaudGuy:
There's no security in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by ScaffoldCON: 7:42am On Apr 11, 2018
Obito555:

Nooooo... Depends on what aspect you key into. The industry is vast. However though, there are varying aspects to consider. Everyone who lays brick is a builder na, well, so they say. But I think it's about professionalism.
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by overhypedsteve(m): 7:42am On Apr 11, 2018
I am here
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by hakeem4(m): 7:43am On Apr 11, 2018
you can hit me up for your structural design
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by ScaffoldCON: 7:43am On Apr 11, 2018
ZarahBuhari:

There's no security in Nigeria

Is this to say that if I have one and I'm sleeping, someone would come and carry the parts and run away? �

1 Like

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by ZarahBuhari: 7:45am On Apr 11, 2018
ScaffoldCON:

Is this to say that if I have one and I'm sleeping, someone would come and carry the parts and run away? �
Ask Buratai
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by Sylverly(m): 7:47am On Apr 11, 2018
Pls any builder here who can give me a cost breakdown to fence a 2 plot of land in abia state.. Based on current prices of materials
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by abbacool(m): 7:48am On Apr 11, 2018
Thank you mod. for moving our thread to front page, I hope it finally achieve it purpose.
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by abbacool(m): 7:53am On Apr 11, 2018
Professional builders please come in and enlighten us (fresh builders).
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by Tunmosh(m): 7:54am On Apr 11, 2018
Nice one, I'm proud to be a builder.
Someone asked a builder, why you feel proud of being a builder? He smiled and said:

A lawyer's income increases with increase in crime and litigation.

A doctor's income increases with increase in diseases / illness.

But a builder's income increases with increase in prosperity of people and nation ...!!".That's why we feel proud.....

we design,
we construct,
we accelerate the world,
we are the gears of progress,
we are the future of the nation,
we are the builders,
and I am proud to be a builder.

*HAPPY BUILDERS DAY TO ALL*
���⚙
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by xaggar(m): 7:54am On Apr 11, 2018
I use AutoCAD but not the 3d aspect of it (cos i don't know how to) and I use chief architect software also. Makes my drawing in 3d far too easy!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:56am On Apr 11, 2018
You definitely want to learn AutoCAD+ inclusive of the 3D rendition. You must also understand the quantity surveying techniques in preparing for BOQs. Although, we builders don't do BOQs but a builders estimate. Builders estimate is more straight forward than the BOQ. But the knowledge of BOQ is a 101 plus.

You want to use every opportunity to learn by becoming intern at the right place. You don't want to worry yourself abt money at the early stage. Believe me, if you did, you won't go far. Employers pay for experience and the more you got, the more project you've involved in (regardless of your qualifications) deteemines your best opportunity at huge salary.

You'll definitely make more money when you supervise big projects- believe me (unless with stingy clients who wants to buy everything), but you can only be out in charge of these big projects with the right experience.

Just learn, learn, Learn.

At the early stage, register for NIOB. Be the errand boy and when it's time for exams, you'll get massive supports from the old members who'd have taken likeness to you.

Improve your freehand sketching skills. Be imaginative.

Goodspeed.

4 Likes

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by einsteino(m): 7:57am On Apr 11, 2018
well i'm a civil/structural engineer. Anyways getting an opportunity in the industry depends on what your interest is. if you hope to be under someone's employment, then its best you get acquainted with the skills in demand for your job role. What i do is, i always keep an eye on job adverts even when i am not accepting job offers, this helps me know the skills in demand for different positions and helps fashion my career goals and my professional development. if you hope to freelance, you should be aware that networking is just as important as competence? Linkedin is a great place to network but isnt a magic wand, it also takes alot of work to make a linkedin connection a real life connection. So you would need social skills as well as technical skills to forge ahead and a bit of luck.

there are numerous softwares out there, which to learn would depend on your needs, goals and your firm too. I have used numerous Civil Engineering softwares, i started with Orion and STAAD Pro but in the last couple of years i have begun shifting to Autodesk suite; due to my need for interoperability, parameticism and extending BIM workflows via visual/computational programming.

the softwares I currently use for my work are:

REVIT 2018 (structures)
ADVANCE STEEL 2018
ROBOT STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS 2018
DYNAMO
CADS RC
TEDDS
TEKLA STRUCTURAL DESIGNER
PRIMAVERA
MSTOWER
CSI BRIDGE
and of course AUTOCAD 2018

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by chccho(m): 7:59am On Apr 11, 2018
LaudGuy:
I have also thought about this too, its a good solution
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by abbacool(m): 8:04am On Apr 11, 2018
SLIDEwaxie:
You definitely want to learn AutoCAD+ inclusive of the 3D rendition. You must also understand the quantity surveying techniques in preparing for BOQs. Although, we builders don't do BOQs but a builders estimate. Builders estimate is more straight forward than the BOQ. But the knowledge of BOQ is a 101 plus.

You want to use every opportunity to learn by becoming intern at the right place. You don't want to worry yourself abt money at the early stage. Believe me, if you did, you won't go far. Employers pay for experience and the more you got, the more project you've involved in (regardless of your qualifications) deteemines your best opportunity at huge salary.

You'll definitely make more money when you supervise big projects- believe me (unless with stingy clients who wants to buy everything), but you can only be out in charge of these big projects with the right experience.

Just learn, learn, Learn.

At the early stage, register for NIOB. Be the errand boy and when it's time for exams, you'll get massive supports from the old members who'd have taken likeness to you.

Improve your freehand sketching skills. Be imaginative.

Goodspeed.
Thank you sir
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by saydfact(m): 8:08am On Apr 11, 2018
let me pack here - lol
Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by samaro9(m): 8:08am On Apr 11, 2018
Gud morning to you all, am undertaken a research work on the topic : THE ROLE OF DRY CONSTRUCTION IN ENSURING AFFORDABLE HOUSING IN NIGERIA. please can anyone here has any relevant materials on the topic?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Building Technology/ Engineering Forum : A Thread For Builders. by Mbamifeanyi(m): 8:09am On Apr 11, 2018

PROFESSIONAL WISE, A BRICK LAYER CAN NEVER BE CALLED A BUILDER/ENGINEER. Even a graduate of building department can't be addressed as a builder.

Let me take you down to who's a builder?

A builder is a person who takes charge of a construction ranging from supervision, plan interpretation, quotations etc and he/she "MUST" be a registered member of the Nigerian Institute of Building(NIOB) or Council of registered builders of Nigeria(CORBON).

Functions of a Builder
Interpreting plans or organising for plans to be drawn that meet building code regulations and client specifications.
Providing quotes or submitting tenders for building works.
Submitting plans to local authorities for approval.
Arranging inspections of building work.
Organising contractors including carpenters, electricians, plumbers and painters to carry out building tasks.
Undertaking some building work personally.
Calculating quantities and costs and sourcing of building materials and labour.
Supervising contractors or employees to ensure safety standards are maintained and works remain on schedule.
Coordinating administrative tasks such as payment.

Building is a vast profession and has a lot of responsibilies.

Great Builders, We build Right. I Rep NIOB River State chapter.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EDOOFA Program REAL OR NOT / Generate Amazing Income As An Opay Mobile Money Agent / I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.