Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Landlord-tenant Agreement - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord-tenant Agreement (2335 Views)

Lagos Targets 60 Days For Landlord-Tenant Dispute Resolution / Paying For Tenant Agreement During House Rents. Extortion? / FIRS' 6% Stamp Duty Charge On Agreement. How It Affects You As Landlord/tenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 5:57am On Mar 14, 2018
Please house, kindly help me explain this line of the new agreement am about to sign.

Tenant is To pay all rates, taxes, imposition, levies, charges and all other outgoings whatsoever whether municipal, state or federal which are now or may hereafter become imposed or charged upon the owner or occupier of the Demised Premises.

Is this how it should be or not?

Thanks all
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 7:23am On Mar 14, 2018
Someone should help me out with this. Please!
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by clarocuzioo(m): 7:36am On Mar 14, 2018
Simply put, arrange your land use charge to pay
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 8:00am On Mar 14, 2018
clarocuzioo:
Simply put, arrange your land use charge to pay
can one send a counter agreement back to the lawyer, removing where does not favour the tenant?
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 8:01am On Mar 14, 2018
i need someone to help me review the whole clauses
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 8:05am On Mar 14, 2018
THE TENANT HEREBY COVENANTS WITH THE LANDLORD AS FOLLOWS:
a. To pay the rent for the Flat of the period herein granted.
b. To keep the Demised Premises in a very neat and tidy condition.
c. To duly and promptly pay all cost, electricity, and water bills consumed in the Demised Premises during the subsistence of the tenancy and not to tamper in any form with PHCN meters, equipments and installations.
d. To pay all rates, taxes, imposition, levies, charges and all other outgoings whatsoever whether municipal, state or federal which are now or may hereafter become imposed or charged upon the owner or occupier of the Demised Premises.
e. To keep the Demised Premises (flat), all doors, lockers, fasteners, water closets, cisterns, all pipes leading into and within the flat and drains therein in good and tenantable repair and condition.
f. The Landlord shall have the right to inspect the said flat at least once quarterly to ensure that the flat is kept clean and in good tenantable conditions.
g. To use the Demised Premises for residential purposes only.
h. Not to transfer, assign, underlet, charge or part with the possession of the demised flat.
i. 2(Two) adults consisting of one male and a female, that is a tenant and his wife, together with their offspring’s and not more than one house help shall occupy the flat.
j. Not to make or permit to be made any structural alterations in the premises or any part thereof without first obtaining to such alteration the written consent of the landlord.
k. Not to do, permit or suffer to be done upon the premises or any part therefore anything which may be or become a nuisance or cause damage or inconvenience to the Landlord or his agent(s) or Neighbouring premises.
l. To pay all security, development, street, and other dues that may be apportioned to and imposed on the Demised Premises.
m. To enter and agree with the other occupiers of adjoining premises and arrangement with respect to the security of the common entrance.
n. Not to use or permit the premises to be used for any illegal, immoral, or improper purpose.
o. At the expiration or sooner determination of the terms to surrender QUIETLY and yield up to the landlord the Demised Premises (Flat) with additions thereto in good and substantial repair, any fair wear and tear or damage by Act of God generally accepted.
THE LANDLORD HEREBY COVENANTS WITH THE TENANT AS FOLLOWS:
1. That the tenant paying the rent and performing the covenants on this part therein before reserved shall peacefully hold and enjoy the said flat without interruption by the landlord or anyone claiming under his trust.
(a) That the landlord agrees to all the covenants in this agreement.
2. That at the expiration of the tenancy herein entered and if there shall be no breach of any of the covenants abovementioned into by the tenant, then on a request made by the tenant in writing not less than 3 (three) months before the expiration of the term therein granted, the landlord may grant to the tenant an option to renew this tenancy agreement for a term and at a rent to be duly agreed between the parties.

PROVIDED ALWAYS AND IT IS HEREBY AGREED AS FOLLOWS:
(a) That if the covenants and stipulation or any part thereof shall be unfulfilled for 21 (twenty-one) days after becoming a default on the part of the tenant and the landlord gives the tenant notice of this default in writing then and in any of the said cases, it shall be lawful for the landlord at any time thereafter to re-enter upon the Demised Premises or land or any part thereof in the name of the whole and thereupon this demise shall absolutely be determined but without prejudice to the right of action of the landlord in respect of breach of the covenants on the part of the tenant herein contained.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by clarocuzioo(m): 8:11am On Mar 14, 2018
sekzy99:
can one send a counter agreement back to the lawyer, removing where does not favour the tenant?

Do not sign the agreement else you have incurred hot charcoal on your he'd, get your lawyer to review it with you and write them appropriately, but also consider getting another apartment as that's where it's ikely to lead to at the long run.
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 8:16am On Mar 14, 2018
clarocuzioo:

Do not sign the agreement else you have incurred hot charcoal on your he'd, get your lawyer to review it with you and write them appropriately, but also consider getting another apartment as that's where it's ikely to lead to at the long run.

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. The problem now is that i have paid for the place.
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by clarocuzioo(m): 8:24am On Mar 14, 2018
sekzy99:

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. The problem now is that i have paid for the place.

Yeah even though u have paid, don't sign, you did what most Nigerians don't do by going ahead to sign agreements without going through it, that's a smart move from you, when the landlord comes asking, tell me there are some clauses there you consider hidden ambush and you don't agree, that's why you can't sign.
Signing it means you have read through and agreed, but not signing means you did not agree so there's no agreement until the grey areas are ironed out, please get a lawyer to assist you.

1 Like

Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 8:39am On Mar 14, 2018
clarocuzioo:

Yeah even though u have paid, don't sign, you did what most Nigerians don't do by going ahead to sign agreements without going through it, that's a smart move from you, when the landlord comes asking, tell me there are some clauses there you consider hidden ambush and you don't agree, that's why you can't sign.
Signing it means you have read through and agreed, but not signing means you did not agree so there's no agreement until the grey areas are ironed out, please get a lawyer to assist you.
Do u know any lawyer i can contact on this, my friend who is a lawyer is on a case right now.
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by clarocuzioo(m): 8:41am On Mar 14, 2018
sekzy99:
Do u know any lawyer i can contact on this, my friend who is a lawyer is on a case right now.

Contact that your friend, he will make time to look into your brief.
Re: Landlord-tenant Agreement by sekzy99(m): 8:42am On Mar 14, 2018
aiit boss. thanks a lot
clarocuzioo:

Contact that your friend, he will make time to look into your brief.

(1) (Reply)

Lexington Gardens With C Of O Inside Ajayi Apata Estate, Sangotedo, Lekki / Room/parlour Or Mini Flat In Festac / The Nest Organic City, Mowe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.