Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year (865 Views)

Sylvester Oromoni: I Won’t Bury My Son Even If It Takes 30 Years To Get Justice / Ngige: I Won’t Give ASUU Opportunity To Go On Strike Again / Photos That Can Only Be Described As “I Won’t Believe It Until I See It” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by BizLifeE: 12:16pm On Mar 15, 2018
What happens if you stop talking for a year?

In India, there is a meditative practice called “Vipassana” where participants go without speaking even a single word for days.

I've attended one such session and stayed absolutely silent for 5 days. Here's what I experienced:

You have to remind yourself constantly for the first day to simply keep your mouth shut physically. This looks and feels very awkward but you soon get over it.

Since I was at a meditation centre, I had no access to my phone, the internet or television. The organizers encourage you to think about your life, all of it! Recall every memory. Despite how many years you've lived, most participants could recall their entire lives in a day - that's how fleeting a single human life is.

You sleep a lot as a way of passing the time. But this doesn't work for more than a few days because once you're well rested, you just can't force yourself to sleep.

You become more attuned to sound. When not constantly listening to people speak, you begin to notice sounds in nature, tactile sounds of things like cutlery and even the sound of your own breathing.

You get much better at reading and speaking through body language. Eye contact, facial expressions, shrugs, hand gestures. You start to tune them to convey messages and in time, you can almost “hear” a person's body language from a distance.

But perhaps the most surprising outcome is when you're given the freedom to speak again, you almost don't want to. You realise you have nothing that needs to be said urgently.

When you do speak again, your ears don't fully recognize your own voice. It's a feeling similar to hearing an audio playback of your voice - you question if this is what you sound like to everyone else and it feels a bit odd.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-happens-if-you-stop-talking-for-a-year

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: Itu Global
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 15, 2018
Wow

I will research on this.

This is very inspiring.

And I will try to enforce it at home for a day, and see what happens.
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by Ekugbeh(m): 12:50pm On Mar 15, 2018
I wnn do dat meditation stuff lyk inner peace or hw do they call it
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by Khd95(m): 2:20pm On Mar 15, 2018
e no fit happen for naija,person wey go provoke u plenty for different corners cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 15, 2018
angry

☣ ☠

Hmmm.. Interesting

☣ ☠
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by Donald3d(m): 4:56pm On Mar 15, 2018
Its nothing to people like me who are core introverts combined with freelance.Na only for internet I dey run my mouth anyhow like this grin grin grin

I have stepped out of the house about 3 times this year.Always indoors, I have gone days without talking to anybody.
It really does help think, your mind works faster, solves problem faster, its like your other senses "come to life".
Look at it like a machine (in engineering), when heat,friction and some other things come into a system it loses efficiency, thats the way our bodies work too, you just have to cut out some unneccessary tasks to make your brain more efficient.

I always make sure I shut myself away from the world, including internet for like 2 days at least in a month.The kind of ideas that pour in to my head for business and all is just shocked shocked, sometimes I wonder if that actually came from my head.

Not just for ideas, it also helps you connect deeply with God, and talk to Him, and if you listen well enough and passionate to hear from him, he would speak back to you.

Bottom line : Modesty in everything you do brings out the best in you.Dont eaat too much, talk only when you have to,look when you have to.You become more efficient and a better human being .

3 Likes

Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by ikbnice(m): 5:38pm On Mar 15, 2018
I will not speak for a day... Kolewerk. I have been known to be a chatterbox so people will just think something is actually wrong with me. Unless I change location sha o
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by JustDrivingBy(m): 5:44pm On Mar 15, 2018
Seems Buhari has been practising to pretend not to hear for four years
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by AjalaJ(m): 5:56am On Mar 17, 2018
These contributions are interesting....
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by DrGossy: 7:41am On Mar 17, 2018
Waw really have to check this out
Re: I Won’t Speak To Anybody For One Year by YhungPablo(m): 8:04am On Mar 17, 2018
How can these nonsense reduce the price of Garri

(1) (Reply)

Burial Of Kogi State University Students Stab To Death By His Friend / 10 Ways To Calm Your Nerves Before You Make A Presentation / 2018/2019 Unilorin Postgraduate Admission List Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.