Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,239 members, 7,780,467 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:00 PM

Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand (17125 Views)

Kano Residents Storm Emir's Palace, Seek Justice On Kano Election / NERC, Eko DISCO Sued For N50m Over Exorbitant Bill, Others / Senator Shehu Sani & Snake Charmers At JAMB Office Over Snake Swallowing N36M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Irukkanews: 2:47pm On Mar 15, 2018
Residents of Ago Palace way, early this morning stormed the Okota office of Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) along Cele road in protest demanding Prepaid meters. They were protesting what they termed ‘Evil Exorbitant’ light bill which they swore not to pay and asked for installation of prepaid meters in their homes.

The residents who were at the office as early as 7am today succeeded in locking out most of the workers and denied them access into their offices. According to them, what they wanted was prepaid meters as it is very obvious the light company was out to rob them of their hard earned money using light bills which they said was increased to almost 700% the previous month.

Some of the Residents who spoke with Irukkanews said, despite their more than two years plea to the light company to give them prepaid meters, they are yet to be given any but rather get charged very high with each light bill issued. A resident who spoke with Irukkanews said;

For some reasons we have been receiving crazy estimated light bills, and it has been on for quite a long time now, we were here two years back and demanded for Prepaid meters and for some reason best known to them, they gave neighboring streets prepaid meters but ignored Apena street and have since been giving us estimated bills. This month alone a shop on the street was billed N17,000 another shop got billed N20,000, I myself, I was billed N13,000 for the month and nobody stays in my house on week days, we all go to work and come back late at night. Most of the time even now, they usual give us half current and still bill us.

What we are saying is, we are not paying the bills they brought for this month till we are given prepaid meters. How can a small shop on the street be billed N20,000 for a month, what is the person using light for that would amount to that.

Give me prepaid meter so I can regulate what I use and be able to account for it. we will never pay light bills again until we are given prepaid meters

When asked if the approach they have taken is the right way, he said;

We are not fighting, this is the only thing we can do and If Fashola can hear this, he will do something. How much am I making in a month that I will be billed 20k plus for light alone and it not like we even get constant light. the light is very poor.

Another resident who spoke with Irukkanews has this to say:

We are here from Apena street, we are here because we all received a very crazy and exorbitant bill, almost 700% increase from last month and we didn’t even get the light. Even one gets 24 hours daily which is not possible, it still doesn’t justify the increase because they have been no increase in tariff, So why that. This has been going on for two years now. We have written to NERC, relevant authorities also written the light company, and had series of meetings with them. we have piles of our letters, we have been writing and they have been shifting ground. All the surrounding streets have Prepaid meter, and they have refused to give us prepaid meters. They have provoked us by issuing us with more than 700% bill, we are not paying. We want prepaid meters

An official of the IKEDC tried to calm them down with promises but the residents insisted of an assurance that they will get their prepaid meters and promised to be back within two weeks should they fail to provide them with prepaid meters.

See more photos here: http://www.irukkanews.com/okota-residents-storm-ikedc-office-over-exorbitant-light-bill-demand-for-prepaid-meters/

Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by wiloy2k8(m): 3:44pm On Mar 15, 2018
lol
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Victorakats(m): 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2018
Welcome to Lagos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by osuofia2(m): 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2018
SAI BABA...CHANGI DOLE

4 Likes

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Henrybright(m): 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2018
Right way to go
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by DanielsParker(m): 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2018
But seriously they should do something about this. they wont give power yet they bring exorbitant bills. Okota is the worst, also ejigbo axis.

8 Likes

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Queenserah26(f): 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2018
When will it ever get better smh
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by osuofia2(m): 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2018
SAI BABA..........CHANGI DOLE

1 Like

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by AngelicBeing: 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2018
Almost everything in Nigeria is interwoven with suffering, chai, what a country sad

5 Likes

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by osuofia2(m): 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2018
SAI BABA...CHANGI DOLE

1 Like

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Elslim: 3:46pm On Mar 15, 2018
Naija....
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Stormyweather(m): 3:47pm On Mar 15, 2018
i hope they beat my cousin grin grin grin

i mean, i hope they dont beat her grin grin grin
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 15, 2018
sad

Ever since Tinubu and his stooges lost Isolo LCDA and Festac, they have been doing all sorts of things to frustrate the inhabitants of that area which are mainly Igbos.

It took Federal intervention before Okota-Agor Link road could be fixed even though it was so strategic to the mainland.

Politics of bitterness and sorcery played by Tinubu and his stooges will lead to no where.

All these high rate of power is a continuation of that acrimony. But guess what, he who bears the acrimony suffers more

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by eleojo23: 3:47pm On Mar 15, 2018
Some people are deliberately refusing to issue the prepaid meters so that they can continue to give exorbitant estimated bill. Smh...

This country is filled with corruption

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2018
My estimated bill is 9k a month.

If i am using prepaid meter, will i use up to that?

It is insane.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by biggy26: 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2018
Thank God o, we now have btw 18-20hrs light daily. But even d prepaid dey hear am o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 15, 2018
angry

Still baffles me how some people will just sit in their office and estimate the amount of light consumed by the masses... A new form of wizardry I guess!!

I've also been waiting for prepaid meter since 2years now. NEPA asked me to clear my outstanding bills and I did.. Up till now, still not show yet..!!

4 Likes

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Lanre4uonly(m): 3:49pm On Mar 15, 2018
Kudos to the residents.

1 Like

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by malele(m): 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2018
I stay in ago palaceway Ajoke, we have prepaid meter, every household should try and get one, it's really important , u won't have anything to do with Nepa again

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by everG: 3:50pm On Mar 15, 2018
wiloy2k8:
lol
same here in Ogunfowokan, there said we are all in Apena feeder. what nonsense!
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by yomalex(m): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2018
if 'No prepaid meter no payment' is implemented the DISCOS will magically distribute PPMs to their customers
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by chuksjuve(m): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2018
Protest is too soft a thing to do..

Get hold of one of the officials
Beat the hell out of him ..
Use him as a control experiment and
Watch how others will comport themselves and your prepaid meter delivered tomorrow morning ..

"Tell them who is the presidency?"

That's the password of getting things done in Nigeria.

Don't tell them I told you ..

Just do as I have said ..

7 Likes

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by dview001(m): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2018
Watch how buhari will send his pythons down there to start dancing ....but will seal his eyes and ears when jihadists herdsmen attacks angry angry

1 Like

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by goshen26: 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2018
This only happens when THE DEAF RULES THE TALKATIVE

1 Like

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Stevengerd(m): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2018
Thank God for PM... this ones even get time storm Ekedc office. if na my area wey nepa cut lite, residents go still climb pole connect am. nepa don even tire for dem.

1 Like

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by maasoap(m): 3:53pm On Mar 15, 2018
IamMissMarvel:
My estimated bill is 9k a month.

If i am using prepaid meter, will i use up to that?

It is insane.
Well, Meter Asset Providers are coming on board April 3rd. No one has to go through thieving DISCOs again if they don't want to.
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 15, 2018
maasoap:

Well, Meter Asset Providers are coming on board April 3rd. No one has to go through thieving DISCOs again if they want to.

Amen o.
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:54pm On Mar 15, 2018
Things you only hear in Nigeria 'half current' grin
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by HomeOfMe(f): 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2018
Irukkanews:
Residents of Ago Palace way, early this morning stormed the Okota office of Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) along Cele road in protest demanding Prepaid meters. They were protesting what they termed ‘Evil Exorbitant’ light bill which they swore not to pay and asked for installation of prepaid meters in their homes.

The residents who were at the office as early as 7am today succeeded in locking out most of the workers and denied them access into their offices. According to them, what they wanted was prepaid meters as it is very obvious the light company was out to rob them of their hard earned money using light bills which they said was increased to almost 700% the previous month.

Some of the Residents who spoke with Irukkanews said, despite their more than two years plea to the light company to give them prepaid meters, they are yet to be given any but rather get charged very high with each light bill issued. A resident who spoke with Irukkanews said;

For some reasons we have been receiving crazy estimated light bills, and it has been on for quite a long time now, we were here two years back and demanded for Prepaid meters and for some reason best known to them, they gave neighboring streets prepaid meters but ignored Apena street and have since been giving us estimated bills. This month alone a shop on the street was billed N17,000 another shop got billed N20,000, I myself, I was billed N13,000 for the month and nobody stays in my house on week days, we all go to work and come back late at night. Most of the time even now, they usual give us half current and still bill us.

What we are saying is, we are not paying the bills they brought for this month till we are given prepaid meters. How can a small shop on the street be billed N20,000 for a month, what is the person using light for that would amount to that.

Give me prepaid meter so I can regulate what I use and be able to account for it. we will never pay light bills again until we are given prepaid meters

When asked if the approach they have taken is the right way, he said;

We are not fighting, this is the only thing we can do and If Fashola can hear this, he will do something. How much am I making in a month that I will be billed 20k plus for light alone and it not like we even get constant light. the light is very poor.

Another resident who spoke with Irukkanews has this to say:

We are here from Apena street, we are here because we all received a very crazy and exorbitant bill, almost 700% increase from last month and we didn’t even get the light. Even one gets 24 hours daily which is not possible, it still doesn’t justify the increase because they have been no increase in tariff, So why that. This has been going on for two years now. We have written to NERC, relevant authorities also written the light company, and had series of meetings with them. we have piles of our letters, we have been writing and they have been shifting ground. All the surrounding streets have Prepaid meter, and they have refused to give us prepaid meters. They have provoked us by issuing us with more than 700% bill, we are not paying. We want prepaid meters

An official of the IKEDC tried to calm them down with promises but the residents insisted of an assurance that they will get their prepaid meters and promised to be back within two weeks should they fail to provide them with prepaid meters.

See more photos here: http://www.irukkanews.com/okota-residents-storm-ikedc-office-over-exorbitant-light-bill-demand-for-prepaid-meters/

Lalasticlala
One of the highest scam going on in Nigeria is the power/electricity scam. Only prepaid metering would end this whole problem. Even the prepaid meters àre being tampered with by the power officials. Some people have even said that some of those meters when they've bn compromised,the malfunction.

1 Like

Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by stacyadams: 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2018
malele:
I stay in ago palaceway Ajoke, we have prepaid meter, every household should try and get one, it's really important , u won't have anything to do with Nepa again
grin was in sijuola before movin..we sef get prepaid meter for the whole street
Re: Okota Residents Storm IKEDC Office Over Exorbitant Light Bill, Make Demand by maasoap(m): 3:59pm On Mar 15, 2018
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission will on April 3, 2018 commence the enforcement of its recentlyunveiled Meter Asset Provider Regulations, 2018, a policy that seeks to bridge the widening metering gap inthe electricity supply industry.

It was gathered that the country’s metering gap had increased to about 4.74 million, as power consumers welcomed the new policy, describing it as a panacea for NERCIn its MAPR 2018, with Regulation No. NERC-R-112, which was released by the regulator and obtained by our correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday, NERC said, “These regulations shall come into effect on the 8th dayof March, 2018.

"The provisions of these regulations shall be enforced by the commission from the 3rd day of April, 2018.”On Monday,The PUNCHreported a declaration by NERC that power distribution companies no longer had the sole responsibility of providing meters to electricity consumers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Egwuatu Egbulefu Is Dead / Governor Dapo Abiodun Commissions 100 Vehicles And 200 Bikes For Security / N82m, $36,000 Stolen In Kuje Prison During Attack Belong To Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.