Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,695 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! (1379 Views)

Implications Of Connecting Radiator Fan From Ignition / Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! by obmade: 10:49pm On Mar 15, 2018
Ok guys. So today is the first time I ever did enjoy driving my car since I got it in November 2017! I want to say a Huge ‘Thank you’ to all the contributors on Nairaland who give quality advice on Car Matters. I have silently been reading, reviewing and correlating different contributions and these have helped me in recognizing anomalies that could be present in a car.

Ikenna always talks about Lions, lol (Peugeot)! Mine is just a Kitty Cat! How do I know? This is because, today we helped him to become calm . . . Now he purrs very nicely, instead of the previous distressed roaring (when he is not a Lion).

I drive a 2009 Corolla (US Spec). When I got it, I didn’t know the ride’s radiator fan was connected directly (that is, they by-passed the fan control module). Every time I start the vehicle, the engine would roar to life, and keep roaring (I diagnosed and got error codes saying “timing is over-advanced”). Of cos it was over advance! Unlike non-sensor cars that you could just adjust the throttle cable, tinker here and there to get the right setting, I didn’t want anyone tinkering here and there on my Corolla, lol. I asked mechanics for explanation towards possible solution till I got tired. Then I encountered Nairaland contributors (Worldwide famous cc Gazzuzz, cc Ikenna, and many other popular resourceful contributors). I learned here that by-passing the ‘fan control module’ is not a good thing to do (Meanwhile, 96.888888888% of our mechanics (As you guys funnily call them “Kazeems”, lol) believe they are saving the world when they advise motorists to trash thermostat and connect fan directly!) That direct connection had been my problem all along! At car start, my engine always struggles to attain optimum temperature for efficient performance, but the constantly running fan won’t let it! In order to counteract the fan, the engine would trigger an advanced timing in order to get the engine to heat up and attain optimum temperature. This in turn caused my car to roar, guzzle fuel and make me feel dissatisfied overall.

Today, I decided I would get a good electrician to revert the status quo. Guys, the eleco who came highly recommended turned out to be a KAZEEM! He started with the whole ‘As your fan be, na the best. Naija temperature too hot!’ I tried to get him to see reason, but he argued on behalf of Africa! Two other people I met were stuck on the same false argument. Eventually, I got one to do my wish . . . And Voila, Advanced Timing is no more!

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate you guys. And please, there’s got to be a way that the sea of unqualified mechanics can be salvaged, on behalf of the unsuspecting Nigerian car owners. Maybe, if mechanic associations exists, group training can be given on workings of recent cars! Just saying.

5 Likes

Re: Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! by Coolgent(m): 12:10am On Mar 16, 2018
grin
Re: Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! by diportivo: 1:57pm On Mar 16, 2018
As your fan be,na the best.Naija temperature too hot!

and that's from one werey dat hasn't even crossed to Cotonou before o

I wonder how dey know which region is hot without having lived there grin

congrats op....u av seen the light

1 Like

Re: Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! by thebigkendo(m): 2:27pm On Mar 16, 2018
obmade:
Ok guys. So today is the first time I ever did enjoy driving my car since I got it in November 2017! I want to say a Huge ‘Thank you’ to all the contributors on Nairaland who give quality advice on Car Matters. I have silently been reading, reviewing and correlating different contributions and these have helped me in recognizing anomalies that could be present in a car.

Ikenna always talks about Lions, lol (Peugeot)! Mine is just a Kitty Cat! How do I know? This is because, today we helped him to become calm . . . Now he purrs very nicely, instead of the previous distressed roaring (when he is not a Lion).

I drive a 2009 Corolla (US Spec). When I got it, I didn’t know the ride’s radiator fan was connected directly (that is, they by-passed the fan control module). Every time I start the vehicle, the engine would roar to life, and keep roaring (I diagnosed and got error codes saying “timing is over-advanced”). Of cos it was over advance! Unlike non-sensor cars that you could just adjust the throttle cable, tinker here and there to get the right setting, I didn’t want anyone tinkering here and there on my Corolla, lol. I asked mechanics for explanation towards possible solution till I got tired. Then I encountered Nairaland contributors (Worldwide famous cc Gazzuzz, cc Ikenna, and many other popular resourceful contributors). I learned here that by-passing the ‘fan control module’ is not a good thing to do (Meanwhile, 96.888888888% of our mechanics (As you guys funnily call them “Kazeems”, lol) believe they are saving the world when they advise motorists to trash thermostat and connect fan directly!) That direct connection had been my problem all along! At car start, my engine always struggles to attain optimum temperature for efficient performance, but the constantly running fan won’t let it! In order to counteract the fan, the engine would trigger an advanced timing in order to get the engine to heat up and attain optimum temperature. This in turn caused my car to roar, guzzle fuel and make me feel dissatisfied overall.

Today, I decided I would get a good electrician to revert the status quo. Guys, the eleco who came highly recommended turned out to be a KAZEEM! He started with the whole ‘As your fan be, na the best. Naija temperature too hot!’ I tried to get him to see reason, but he argued on behalf of Africa! Two other people I met were stuck on the same false argument. Eventually, I got one to do my wish . . . And Voila, Advanced Timing is no more!

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate you guys. And please, there’s got to be a way that the sea of unqualified mechanics can be salvaged, on behalf of the unsuspecting Nigerian car owners. Maybe, if mechanic associations exists, group training can be given on workings of recent cars! Just saying.

Hmmmmm bros your car go overheat oh. Direct fan and thermostat delete is for Naija temperature
Re: Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! by obmade: 3:54pm On Mar 16, 2018
Bro, I still dey watch my dashboard. Plus today's merciless sun, my temperature gauge dey very stable.

Another thing I observed which improved, was my engine assisted braking. I generally think anything that alters the engine timing can affect many things. I still dey observe sha!

thebigkendo:

Hmmmmm bros your car go overheat oh. Direct fan and thermostat delete is for Naija temperature
Re: Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! by thebigkendo(m): 4:02pm On Mar 16, 2018
obmade:
Bro, I still dey watch my dashboard. Plus today's merciless sun, my temperature gauge dey very stable.
Another thing I observed which improved, was my engine assisted braking. I generally think anything that alters the engine timing can affect many things. I still dey observe sha!

Hahahaha i was just kidding. Your car will be fine

1 Like

Re: Today, I Found Out For Sure That, Connecting Radiator Fan Directly Is Not Good ! by chokovirus: 9:40pm On Mar 16, 2018
Its only kazeems that advocate bypassing of the fan control module. I drove my car to a coscharis service centre for that purpose and the mechanic dissuaded me from proceeding with the plan

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Elon Musk Is Not The World’s Leading Electric Car Visionary; This Man Is (PHOTO) / 2011 Honda Crosstour Tokunbo For Sale / LASG Launches Newly Designed Articulated, Allied Vehicle Number Plate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.