Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? (1858 Views)

What Is The Interpretation Of The Dream Of Seeing A Dove? / Lady Indicates Jesus As Her Next Of Kin While Filing A Travel Manifest / Jesus As The Only True And Trustworthy Friend You Can Ever Have In Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by FaithfulServant(m): 5:19pm On Mar 17, 2018
The four Gospel in the Holy Bible all gave account of the baptism of Jesus and how the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus during His baptism (Luke 3:22). But how, and in what form the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus has been a controversy in Christendom.

Some argue the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus as a dove, while some others conclude that the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus during His baptism like a dove.

Among the four Gospel that gave account of the baptism of Jesus ( i.e. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), only the Gospel according to Luke really gave a clear description of how the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus. According to Luke 3:22, “And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.”

Look at the verse of Luke above carefully, “And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him”. What this should mean is that the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus just the same way a dove descend from the sky to the ground, and in a “bodily shape” means the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus in the form of a body and not in the form of a dove. With this we can concluded that the Holy Spirit is a person with the shape of a body and not some mystical force with the shape of a dove as some believe.

So I can conclude that the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus Christ during His baptism like a dove and in the form of a body, and not as a dove in the form of a dove. Or do you think otherwise?

Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by petra1(m): 6:31pm On Mar 17, 2018
Best way to understand it is to read it in different translations
Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by FaithfulServant(m): 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2018
petra1:

Best way to understand it is to read it in different translations
yes true. What did you get from your search with other translations?
Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by sonofthunder: 6:50pm On Mar 17, 2018
Luke 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape "LIKE" a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by FaithfulServant(m): 7:02pm On Mar 17, 2018
sonofthunder:
Luke 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape "LIKE" a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
I get your point but understand the simile "as" and "like" as used in the topic.

I mean did the Holy Spirit descend on Jesus in the form of a dove as so many believe, or in some other form?
Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by sonofthunder: 7:13pm On Mar 17, 2018
FaithfulServant:
I get your point but understand the simile "as" and "like" as used in the topic.

I mean did the Holy Spirit descend on Jesus in the form of a dove as so many believe, or in some other form?

Acts
2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues "LIKE" as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by FaithfulServant(m): 7:46pm On Mar 17, 2018
sonofthunder:

Acts
2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues "LIKE" as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Yeah, that is another good example that is related to this. The Holy Spirit descending on the early apostles "like" a fire and not in the form of a fire.

So also I believe the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus during His baptism like a dove and not in the the form of a dove.

Or do you think otherwise?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by sonofthunder: 8:32pm On Mar 17, 2018
FaithfulServant:

Yeah, that is another good example that is related to this. The Holy Spirit descending on the early apostles "like" a fire and not in the form of a fire.

So also I believe the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus during His baptism like a dove and not in the the form of a dove.

Or do you think otherwise?
nope... ride on sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did The Holy Spirit Descend On Jesus As A Dove Or Like A Dove? by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On Feb 21
FaithfulServant:
Most likely not in the form of an actual dove but rather in the way a dove would descend on a person. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Solved The Mystery Of Dan 9:26 / Christians Would You Repent? / Missing Gawat Found?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.