Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,340 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:41 PM

Is It Your Tithe? What The Bible Says About Tithing. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Your Tithe? What The Bible Says About Tithing. (377 Views)

"It Pays To Pay Your Tithe" - D'banj Stands With The "Sheeple" / Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It Your Tithe? What The Bible Says About Tithing. by pressplay411(m): 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2018
This post is not for those who hate the Truth. The truth as revealed through the Word.
I pray that as we meditate together on the scripture's message on Tithe, may the Holy Spirit work his revelation in us and unveil our spiritual senses of vision and understanding of the Word in the name of Christ Jesus, Amen.

To begin, let's outline some of the ambiguities inherent on the doctrine of Tithe.

-What is the Purpose of Tithe?
-Who has the authority to collect Tithe?
-How Should Tithe be spent and Allocated?
-Is Tithing 10% of your Gross or Net Income?
-Is Tithing a Christian or Jewish Practice?
-Is there a curse attached to not Tithing?

The first mention of the word Tithe in the Bible can be found in Gen 14:20. Abram (before God established him as Abraham) had just defeated his enemies and rescued relative Lot when he met Melchizedek, King of Salem and priest of the Most High God. Melchizedek blessed him after which Abram gave a tenth of all.

The second reference to tithe was in Gen 28:22 through Abraham's grandson Jacob on his journey to Padanaram to find a wife, in a place he called Bethel. Having experienced God's Covenant in a dream he woke up made an altar and vowed to give a tenth of all.

The third was through his commandment to Moses in Lev.27.30 - And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's. It is holy to the LORD.
This is further accentuated when God spoke to Aaron (the brother of Moses) the Levi in Num.18.21 - "Behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tithes in Israel as an inheritance in return for the work which they perform, the work of the tabernacle of meeting.

Malachi reveals also that God requires tithe from the Israelites and was witholding his blessings from them because they failed to tithe. Mal.3.8 - "Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, "In what way have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings.
Mal.3.10 - Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this," Says the LORD of hosts, "If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.

The other notable mentions of tithe in the new Covenant are reference points in Matt.23.23 - "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

Luke.18.12 - I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' from the Christ's parable of the self righteous Pharisee.

Perhaps the most significant message of Tithe is found in Hebrews 7:1-28. Here Timothy describes in detail the annulment of the old law of the priests due to its ineffectiveness and its replacement by the perfection of Christ, the priest for ever according to the order of Melchizedek who were both not of the Tribe of Levi but ordained by God.

From the above, it is evident that Tithing started not as a commandment from God. It was a genuine personal decision by Abraham and Jacob both to touch God's heart. Abraham as a sign of gratitude for conquering his enemies and as a reminder to God for an offspring. Jacob as a Covenant for God's blessings and protection as he embarked on his unknown destiny.
Perhaps Tithing became a commandment through Jacob's vow to God. A commandment unto his offsprings, the Israelites.

Hebrews 7, however is significant and I hope we will be able to allay every confusion regarding tithe.

In Matt 23:23 Jesus Christ stresses other weightier matters than tithing. Not once did Jesus Christ or his disciples make mention of tithing as an expectation or requirement. However, neither did they abolish it. The early Christians practised generous and cheerful giving which was not percentage or ratio based but proportionate to one's harvest and generosity.

In 1Corinthians 16:1-2 Apostle Paul speaks about collection for the saints, the word Tithe was noticeably omitted

Also in 2Corinthians 9 how ministering to the saints was done.

Having put all these into consideration, no where was it mentioned that Tithing should stop. Yet neither Jesus nor his apostles necessitate it.
If you choose to key into the blessings of Tithing, it is to your advantage and benefit. Any one who has felt the touch of God in his life would give cheerfully, even beyond the tithe.
Re: Is It Your Tithe? What The Bible Says About Tithing. by pressplay411(m): 7:12pm On Apr 14, 2018
Paul, the apostle of gentiles spoke at length on ministering of saints (church) i.e offerings, contributions. Paul being a strong Jew before he became a witness of Christ, so he knows fully well all about tithing, yet in ministering to saints he never mentioned it.
Giving however is encouraged. 1 Corinthians 9:11-18 informs us of how ministers are allowed to eat from the gospel (offerings) yet he would rather deny himself of his right than make it a stumbling block on to any one.
About collections (offerings) on to saints, he says further,
1 Corinthians 6:2 On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.
Notice no mention of tithe yet again. But giving is encouraged to minister to the needs of the church (ministers needs, charity to the poor and administration expenses). Not according to any percentage but according to your heart and in proportion to your blessing. Remember the story of Jesus about the gifts of the poor woman VS rich man.
Colossians 2:16-23
This stresses the liberty in Christianity. Let no one judge you by any rules or regulations, for all that died when we died with Christ. It culminates with this closing remark annulling laws.
Col.2.23 - These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.
In conclusion, it is easy for some pastors (if not careful) to wamt to dwell and hold on to certain old laws that favour them yet agree that others are no longer relevant. Is that not just hypocritical?
It's impossible for a pastor or bishop to do right by his works in ministering to his saints, in teaching them, guiding them and edifying them with the gifts of the spirit and ever worry about giving.
Becaise you who know how much you've gained by your Salvation, deliverance, miracles, knowledge of the word and building up of the faith and holy spirit, I doubt you'll withold in giving to such ministry, not out of compelling, threats or laws but with a cheerful heart.
I dare say, If you have to force your members to give, you have not yet started your work as a Pastor or Bishop.

(1) (Reply)

Write Your Letters To God Here. You May Get An Answer. / Is Jesus His Own Servant Or A Servant Of God? / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 18/04/18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.