Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Need An Editor For Your Speculative (Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy etc) Fiction Book? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Need An Editor For Your Speculative (Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy etc) Fiction Book? (331 Views)

Blood Moon - A Horror Fantasy / Into The Dark Side; A Nigerian Horror Fantasy. / Need An Editor For Your Speculative (Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy etc) Fiction Book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Need An Editor For Your Speculative (Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy etc) Fiction Book? by FictionEditor: 11:55am On Mar 18, 2018
Before I proceed, here's what speculative fiction is:

"Speculative fiction is an umbrella genre encompassing narrative fiction with supernatural or futuristic elements. This includes, but [is] not limited to the genres science fiction, fantasy, superhero fiction, science fantasy, horror, alternate history and supernatural fiction, as well as their combinations" -- Wikipedia

Speculative fiction isn't new to Africa (see Amos Tutuola, Ben Okri, and Fagunwa), but for some reason, many people (the West and even some Africans) have somehow come to the conclusion that speculative fiction is new on the continent. They might have a point if they're talking about science fiction, but that's not the point. I'm sure someone, somewhere was doing the most in their own little way. They probably were not recognized.

Anyway, that's not my problem. What matters to me is that we need to find a way to push our writing (especially in this genre) out to the world.

See what Nnedi has done with her books (and Black Panther). N.K Jemisin, too. Look at Wole Talabi. Chikodili Emelumadu (she used to write the most amazing blog posts. Nominated for Caine). Lauren Beukes. They're making us proud.

It's time we started showing the world that magic, technology, and the most amazing worlds live in the minds of Africans.

-------

If you have a manuscript that contains elements from the Wikipedia description and you need an editor who lives, breathes, and eats everything weird smiley, I can help. Proud weirdo here!

For books like yours, you need someone who can understand the complexities of world-building and won't ask why you're always writing dark stories (all hail the horror enthusiasts!).

You won't get the normal "You too like winchi-winchi things" statement, and since I read speculative fiction, I can understand the ever-changing nature of characters, dialogue, languages, and ideas in these stories.

So for the love of everything magical, please summon up courage, finish your manuscript, and let's get you out there.

Send a message (or email to blackcalicong[at]gmail.com) if you'd like us to discuss your work (the idea behind it) before I start editing. This service is free.

Here are services I currently offer:

1. Manuscript Evaluation -- In Pidgin English....Make we see if your work even make sense first.
2. Editing -- Proofreading, line-editing, and developmental editing.
3. Beta Reading --You're ready to publish, but you'd like a first reader to get a feel and let you know how your audience might take it.

Ready to disrupt the world? Leave a comment, send a Nairaland message, or email me at blackcalicong[at]gmail.com.

P.S If you're still writing and need inspiration, start with the greats.

a. Sci-fi folk should read Octavia Butler, Isaac Asimov, and Ray Bradbury's books.
b. Horror-- please go to Anne Rice, Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, H.P Lovecraft, and Shirley Jackson
c. Fantasy folk--do I really need to tell you about Lord of the Rings? (This book will make you sweat profusely. My friend, sit down and continue reading)
d. Magic Realism...Go to Franz Kafka and Gabriel García Márquez.

Some of these books are not easy reads, but they'll help you see the basics. There are African writers too in these genres... please, search for them. For now, I'm mentioning the ones that readily come to mind, but I could also recommend Black writers if you want.

Good luck!

(1) (Reply)

The Cost Of Doing “nothing” / How To Create A Heroic Protagonist That Does Not Suck / Emotion Press Calls For Student Ambassadors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.