Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria (21031 Views)

Things I Found Out About Sweden! / Planning Of Relocating From North To The South West. / My Tour Round North West Nigeria.(completed).. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 12:40pm On Mar 19, 2018
zillonnair:
OP nice work, but you really need to leave your comfort zone and see the East and the North. The North will wow you!

Start with Obudu Mountain, Mambilla - Gashaka Gumti, Kajuru Castle in Kaduna, Tinapa, Ogbunike Cave, Visit Enugu and you will know that Nigeria is truly blessed with abundant natural resources and tourist destinations.

Obudu and Mambilla is a must go, if you love hiking.

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by PoisonedOne: 12:47pm On Mar 19, 2018
I've always wished to visit Ekiti state and take a one week vacation there, my friend served there and told me how life is cheap, easy and cool there and that they've tomotaoes and some other fresh fruits there. Lagos has turned me to something else. I need a cool place to unwind.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 1:16pm On Mar 19, 2018
PoisonedOne:
I've always wished to visit Ekiti state and take a one week vacation there, my friend served there and told me how life is cheap, easy and cool there and that they've tomotaoes and some other fresh fruits there. Lagos has turned me to something else. I need a cool place to unwind.

You won't regret it bro. Especially when you do a quick stop at Ondo.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by solutionmi: 1:21pm On Mar 19, 2018
South West is one of the most if not the most peaceful region in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by placeofallure(f): 1:28pm On Mar 19, 2018
Obalorla, nice work! However, you didn't include my state, Kogi. I know many people like to see us as North Central but my part of Kogi speaks the Yoruba language and I will better love to identify with South West than the North. You should let your tourism activities take you to Kogi one of these days, you'll love it!
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Beautyaddy: 1:51pm On Mar 19, 2018
debuscket:
Nice one, however I must add these.

1. Ankara is like a general uniform especially among the youths, thanks to plenty parties each with its own material

2. Yorubas don't joke with their language, no matter how educated, travelled or exposed a yoruba person is, they must always speak their language (atimes unconsciously to a non-yoruba)

3. They are very superstitious [/b]and are mostly pantheists

4. Very very respectful

5. [b]Yorubas generally don't know how to keep a secret

Looks like a contradicting statement.

How can someone be very superstitious but don't know how to keep a secret? undecided

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 1:56pm On Mar 19, 2018
placeofallure:
Obalorla, nice work! However, you didn't include my state, Kogi. I know many people like to see us as North Central but my part of Kogi speaks the Yoruba language and I will better love to identify with South West than the North. You should let your tourism activities take you to Kogi one of these days, you'll love it!

Awwn. i sure will do a stopover in Kogi on one of my subsequent trips this year.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by ogundeleai(m): 2:18pm On Mar 19, 2018
You did not mention peacefulness and best form of accommodation in comparison with any region
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 2:55pm On Mar 19, 2018
ogundeleai:
You did not mention peacefulness and best form of accommodation in comparison with any region

It's actually relative though. Ever heard about the proverbial son who hasn't been to his friend's father's farmland?
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by adexbols: 3:20pm On Mar 19, 2018
Externa?

miqos02:
Cool @ op, how about "extra curricular activities" in the hotels?

LAPTOP HARD DRIVES AVAILABLE

80gb @3.5k
160gb @ 4.5k
250gb @ 5k
320gb @ 6.5k
500gb @ 9.5K
750gb @ 12k
1tb @ 15k
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 19, 2018
OBALORLA:

In a journey which started in 2017, when i started my travel expedition of the world starting out with south-west Nigeria, I have come to learn a lot traveling round these states by the interaction and subliminal immersion into their cultures and norms.

All these are in a bid to reveal the tourism potentials of the world to both locals and strangers in the most interesting way.

Here are the things I’ve learned from my travels around South west Nigeria and would want you to go through them to see if there’s any you can relate to.

(1) Components of the South Western region

In the real sense of it, 6 states basically make up the south-western Nigeria and they include: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo, but for the sake of this post, I’d like to add Kwara to the list for reasons best known to me.

(2) The People

The friends I made when I hiked up the mountains of Ado awaye

In case you think it’s a fluke, there are people here on earth who are ready to grill their eyes for you for dinner if that’s what you crave as a stranger. Guess what, a very tiny portion of these people reside in South west Nigeria. From the locals who took their time in showing me directions to the traders who’d voluntarily add extra to the things I buy, down to the hosts who joyously accommodate me and show me round town when I’m down on cash, I say a big thank you.

(3) Cab colours
Every state has a unique colour code for taxis.

Lagos

yellow and black

This was before the advent of ride hailing services like Uber and Taxify and the introduction of varying colours of taxis by the Lagos state government.

Oyo

Dark brown and cream

This used to be white and green until few years ago.

Ekiti

Green with 2 yellow stripes from bonnet to trunk.

Ondo

Blue on both sides with yellow from the bonnet to boot.

Kwara

Kwara state’s taxis have the highest number of colour combination: red, green, yellow and black.

Ogun

Green and two yellow stripes on each side.

(4) Traveling isn’t as Expensive as we think it is
Yeah, take that from me. It actually costs less than you think. On the average, it costs N2,000 to travel by bus from one state to another within south-western Nigeria. N7,000 to any Eastern and Northern state.
It costs on the average, N4,000 to sleep in a decent hotel and N0 if you have a host. Street food ranges from N20-N100. Accessing any tourist attraction on the average is N500 anywhere within Nigeria.

(5) Roads

The road which leads to Ikogosi warm and cold spring, Ekiti.

I Haven’t really traveled to other regions of the country but with what I’ve experienced so far, It’d be safe to say the road network is somewhat fair in the south-west region. And were I to choose the states with the best road condition, Osun will have to take my vote then Ekiti.

(6) Best tourist sites
It has to be firstly cleared that all the tourist destinations in south-west Nigeria have the potentials to be great if the government and citizens do their bits in improving the facilities and frequenting the sites respectively.

Idanre hills- 3,000 feet above sea level.

The destinations I’ve enlisted below are solely based on how well maintained and awesome they are. In no particular order, I present to you:

- Olumo rock
- Erin Ijesha
- Idanre Hills
- Badagry

(7) Travel time
It takes approximately 4 hours to travel from Lagos to any south-western state. Ogun is the closest to Lagos while Kwara is the farthest.

Have you any contributions? Drop it in the comment section.

Source: http://www.nomadicnegro.com/south-west-nigeria/

Lalasticlala help tame this snake

""I Haven’t really traveled to other regions of the country""

That's how to spot an Afonja grin.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Ritchiee: 5:38pm On Mar 19, 2018
PrecisionFx:

lol..Afonjas are adventurous since time immemorial and there is no where in the world that you will not see a Yoruba.Ask Olukumi.
They just detest coming to the SE region (Igboland) aka Skull Eating region.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Ritchiee: 5:39pm On Mar 19, 2018
PrecisionFx:

lol..Afonjas have been adventurous since time immemorial and there is no where in the world that you will not see a Yoruba.Ask Olukumi.
They just detest coming to the SE region (Igboland) aka Skull Eating region.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by MrGerald(m): 5:44pm On Mar 19, 2018
ModsWillKillNL:
Good
@Obalorla
Some places in Ondo state are about 8 to 9 hours away from Lagos.
You must be riding on a horse

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by MrGerald(m): 5:47pm On Mar 19, 2018
Op you have mouth to talk because you returned with your head still on your body

1 Like

Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 8:56pm On Mar 19, 2018
Ritchiee:

lol..Afonjas have been adventurous since time immemorial and there is no
where in the world that you will not see a Yoruba.Ask Olukumi.

They just detest coming to the SE region (Igboland)
aka Skull Eating region.

""Skull Eating region""

Nigeria has just one skull mining region, I won't mention the region because it is well known to all nairalanders gringringrin.

""They just detest coming to the SE region (Igboland)""

We know where Igbo land starts n ends, No need for ur opinion. And We have plenty Afonja here in Enugu and they specialize in tailoring, Upholstery, Automobile spraying, etc.

Meanwhile as all Nigeria region knows, Afonjas aren't found in every part of the world.

Afonjas don't travel.

During my NYSC, I met Afonjas who NYSC brought them out from the Skull processing region for the very first time in their live.

I know one certain Afonja who owns a private school in Okitipupa n he was over 50 years old before he left the Skull collection region for the very first time.

Afonjas don't travel to Igbo land.

Afonjas don't travel to NE

Afonjas don't travel to NW

Afonjas don't travel to NC.

Afonjas NEVER travel to African countries.
grin.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by revontuli(f): 9:32pm On Mar 19, 2018
OBALORLA:

Great blog! I bookmarked it. I'll hire you as a tour guide if I visit Nigeria, since you seem to know the nice and safe places.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 19, 2018
placeofallure:

togo people have more in common with the north than SW. we dont want northern wahala
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Ritchiee: 8:14pm On Mar 20, 2018
PrecisionFx:

""Skull Eating region""

Nigeria has just one skull mining region, I won't mention the region because it is well known to all nairalanders gringringrin.

We know where Igbo land starts n ends, No need for ur opinion. And We have plenty Afonja here in Enugu and they specialize in tailoring, Upholstery, Automobile spraying, etc.

Meanwhile as all Nigeria region knows, Afonjas aren't found in every part of the world.

Afonjas don't travel.

During my NYSC, I met Afonjas who NYSC brought them out from the Skull processing region for the very first time in their live.

I know one certain Afonja who owns a private school in Okitipupa n he was over 50 years old before he left the Skull collection region for the very first time.

grin.

Go and sleep,old man.Una no know travelling na only wandering una know.
Go and ask Ejuona.

SE=Skull Eating region.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 8:51pm On Mar 20, 2018
Ritchiee:

Go and sleep,old man.Una no know travelling na only wandering una know.
Go and ask Ejuona.

SE=Skull Eating region.
We have just one Skull Collection/Processing/Distribution region in Nigeria.
It's a secret we all kno.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by revontuli(f): 9:41pm On Mar 20, 2018
OBALORLA:

How many hours did it take to hike to the suspended lake?
Do they speak only Yoruba?
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Ritchiee: 9:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
PrecisionFx:
We have just one Skull Collection/Processing/Distribution region in Nigeria. It's a secret we all kno.
SE= Skull Eating region...
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by OBALORLA(m): 1:02am On Mar 21, 2018
revontuli:

How many hours did it take to hike to the suspended lake?
Do they speak only Yoruba?

It too k me about an hour and half due to the stops I had to make at intervals.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by placeofallure(f): 11:47am On Mar 21, 2018
WinningSun:

logo people have more in common with the north than SW. we dont want northern wahala

Just what are you trying to say?
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by oyatz(m): 7:25am On Oct 28, 2018
Who is this Afonja and how do you know so much negative things about him?

PrecisionFx:

""Skull Eating region""

Afonjas don't travel.

grin.
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 28, 2018
oyatz:
Who is this Afonja and how do you know so much negative things about him?

u mean about dem?
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by oyatz(m): 2:18pm On Oct 28, 2018
Afonja is a family name,so you know all his family members and you only know negative things about their family?

PrecisionFx:
u mean about dem?
Re: 7 Things I Learned Traveling Round South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 28, 2018
oyatz:
Afonja is a family name,so you know all his family members and you only know negative things about their family?

Yes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

An Overview Of The Yaba BRT Terminus By LASG / 5 People You Meet At The Airport / Delay In Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.