Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,320 members, 7,808,073 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue (1633 Views)

Buhari Sends Message To Fulani Herdsmen Over Northern Elders’ Directive / Buhari Blames Climate Change For Fulani Herdsmen Crisis / Goodluck Jonathan Reacts To Fulani Herdsmen Killings, replies El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by ewuzie7: 6:14pm On Mar 19, 2018
The United states of America has reacted to the Fulani Herdsmen crisis plaguing Benue state and has expressed support for Ranching as a solution.

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom’s advocacy for the establishment of ranches for cattle rearing recently received the support of the United States of America Ambassador to Nigeria, Stuart Symington.

The US Ambassador who visited Governor Ortom at the Benue Peoples House Makurdi, said if cattle are properly reared in ranches instead of open grazing, Nigeria could be one of the highest income earners from milk production.

“I come from a family of farmers and part of my family used to move cattle from one state called Colorado to another state called Texas every year and over time they changed until now the cow business that they do is very much one that takes advantage of the land and we have to move them on trucks.

“I had a great conversation the other day just outside the city of Jos with one of the great milk producers of the world, a company that produces milk. And I talked to the guy and he was mentioning to me that the milk that comes from the Fulani cattle can be incorporated into the great milk produced here. Literally the future of the nation could be rich when the milk of those herders get fed to the sons and daughters of families and their vegetables get fed to the sons and daughters of the herders. I am happy that you are thinking in this direction Mr Governor”, the US Ambassador stated.

Governor Ortom thanked the Ambassador for the visit and solicited the assistance of the United States in the realisation of the move for ranches across the country, stating that it is one reliable way of guaranteeing peace in the country.

“Let me on behalf of the government and people of Benue State welcome you to the Presidential wing of the Benue Peoples. I appreciate your visit. We were glad when we learnt that you are coming to visit us because we look up to America for a lot of things. Today the Presidential system of Government that we practice, we borrowed it from America.

“I have been advocating for ranching which I know America for the rearing of cattle instead of the grazing that we have in Nigeria today. Because of the shortage of land, the issue of grazing has become a major security challenge, especially in my state. Frequently, there are clashes between farmers and herdsmen because the land is not there and my people are mostly farmers so they find the herdsmen encroaching and trespassing on farmlands and thus destroying their crops and when they are confronted, it will become a fight and we have lost so much.

“I have been calling for the establishment of ranches just like it is done in America. Most of us look forward that our Government at the Federal level and the state level will come together and find a lasting solution because this crisis is not only peculiar to Benue State. There are other states too that are affected. But to me, I see that ranching as it is done in America can solve the problem permanently because the land is not increasing but the population is increasing.

“When there were grazing routes in the fifties, the total population of Nigeria was less than forty million. Today, by the 2012 projection, we are over a hundred and seventy million and by 2017, I am sure we will be hitting two hundred million. So it is a big challenge. While we want to support the herdsmen to graze and to rear cattle, it should not be at the detriment of lives and property of our people. And so you are welcome.”

Governor Ortom also highlighted other areas of collaboration between the Benue State Government and the United States:

“America has been supporting us in several ways. USAID has been of great assistance to my Government. Before I assumed office, they were about leaving the state but I invited them to come back for dialogue and since then, they have been of tremendous help to us” the Governor stated.

source: http://easternreporter.com/2018/03/19/us-supports-ranching-solution-fulani-herdsmen-crisis-benue/

Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by northvietnam(m): 6:15pm On Mar 19, 2018
Noted
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by eTECTIVe(m): 6:25pm On Mar 19, 2018
D same US who are stingy with their Visa are d same ones talking... Jus wat d govt wants to hear to buttress their calls for setting up colonies
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Robisky001(m): 9:53pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:
D same US who are stingy with their Visa are d same ones talking
What stop Buhari for making the country habitable? Better solutions are being proffered to the dullard, here you're talking about stringent rules of getting their Visa's. Iranu.

4 Likes

Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by eTECTIVe(m): 9:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
Robisky001:
What stop Buhari for making the country habitable? Better solutions are being proffered to the dullard, here you're talking about stringent rules of getting their Visa's. Iranu.

Hope U do know dat dey are suggesting ranches which basically d same cattle colonies d govt is insisting on?
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 10:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:
D same US who are stingy with their Visa are d same ones talking
the worst disease today in nigeria is being a Zombie..its irredeemable
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by persius555(m): 10:13pm On Mar 19, 2018
Ranches are expensive but life cannot be valued. The earlier nigeria embraces ranching the chances of this country staying as one.

Tomorrow, some idiot will come and say the US are responsible for causing chaos in the country.
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 10:15pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Hope U do know dat dey are suggesting ranches which basically d same cattle colonies d govt is insisting on?
so u mean cattle colonies is the same as cattle ranches? truly supporting buhari immidiately makes a person an illiterate why is that so?

Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Robisky001(m): 10:16pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Per se, ranch is usually owned and established by individuals unlike the colonies the federal government want to established for private business owners. Who does that? Why not open poultry for those into livestock.
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by eTECTIVe(m): 10:18pm On Mar 19, 2018
unohbethel:
so u mean cattle colonies is the same as cattle ranches? truly supporting buhari immidiately makes a person an illiterate why is that so?

Oga look up d meaing of ranching and come back here and tell us... D fact dat U do not understand my post says a lot
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 10:19pm On Mar 19, 2018
persius555:
Ranches are expensive but life cannot be valued. The earlier nigeria embraces ranching the chances of this country staying as one.

Tomorrow, some idiot will come and say the US are responsible for causing chaos in the country.
one bottle of star for u...like one eeidiot was even saying that cattle colonies is the same as cattle ranches..on wonder they are called zombies
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 10:22pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Oga look up d meaing of ranching and come back here and tell us... D fact dat U do not understand my post says a lot
see this
Robisky001:
Per se, ranch is usually owned and established by individuals unlike the colonies the federal government want to established for private business owners. Who does that? Why not open poultry for those into livestock.
[/quote]have u gotten ur answer now?
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by eTECTIVe(m): 10:22pm On Mar 19, 2018
Robisky001:

Exactly my point... My statement is due to d fact dat d US is simply buttressing d stupid govt's solution of establishing colonies in states.. A cattle ranch is d same as cattle colonies whether run by govt or not. It's basically raising and rearing farm animals in a controlled and enclosed expanse of land. A farm doesn't stop being a farm simply becos of its ownership structure. Why shld d govt set up colonies for cattle owners? Why shld d govt b d one establishing ranches for private bhsinessmen? Even d herdsmen have clearly rejected d idea of colonies/ranches dey simply want to force cattle colonies/ranches down d throat of states..

1 Like

Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by qmd24(m): 10:28pm On Mar 19, 2018
Shior
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 10:30pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Exactly my point... My statement is due to d fact dat d US is simply buttressing d stupid govt's solution of establishing colonies in states.. A cattle ranch is d same as cattle colonies whether run by govt or not. A farm doesn't stop being a farm simply becos of its ownership structure . Why shld d govt set up colonies for cattle owners? Why shld d govt b d one establishing ranches for private bhsinessmen? Dey simply want to force cattle colonies/ranches down d throat of states..
my bro ur comprehension is very low..pls where did u read this thing u commented here..wo said that the gov will establish ranches? where is it stated in this thread..wo is even talking about forcing it to other states? like i said, comprehension is lacking
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Truthcat: 10:39pm On Mar 19, 2018
How is it the same?

Ranching he's talking about is to set up the ranches in the north and then transport them south in trucks.

Southerners can also set up ranches in their communities to raise cattle.
eTECTIVe:

Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by eTECTIVe(m): 10:40pm On Mar 19, 2018
unohbethel:
my bro ur comprehension is very low..pls where did u read this thing u commented here..wo said that the gov will establish ranches? where is it stated in this thread..wo is even talking about forcing it to other states? like i said, comprehension is lacking

I'm really trying so hard to kip my cool and have a reasonable discourse but it seems u are not only ignorant but also uncultured. I'll try to ignore ur insults and d temptation to descend to ur level...

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/fg-gives-reason-proposing-cattle-colonies/
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 19, 2018
You see even the American ambassador knows the right way to go about the problem. Cattle colonies established by government is the only way out of the farmer-pastoralist conflict raging over the middle belt. Thank God as we speak right now, these facilities are being built across the states of the north to tackle this issue.
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by eTECTIVe(m): 10:55pm On Mar 19, 2018
Truthcat:
How is it the same?

Ranching he's talking about is to set up the ranches in the north and then transport them south in trucks.

Southerners can also set up ranches in their communities to raise cattle.

D ranching he's talking about is raising and rearing cattle in a controlled area.. Govt wants to set up cattle colonies, which is basically ranching on a whole bigger scale in states becos herdsmen are always on d move in search of pastures which is why dey can't b confined to d north.
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by persius555(m): 10:59pm On Mar 19, 2018
GoroTango:
You see even the American ambassador knows the right way to go about the problem. Cattle colonies established by government is the only way out of the farmer-pastoralist conflict raging over the middle belt. Thank God as we speak right now, these facilities are being built across the states of the north to tackle this issue.

Remove the goro you are probably chewing and read the text carefully. Where did the ambassador mention colony? Read up more and tell us what and how the proposed colony are supposed to be successfully managed when ranches have been proven to be most viable. If you cant manage a cattle ranch and how then do you expect to successfully manage a colony?

The definition of COLONY in Nigeria is nothing but expanded grazing a.k.a LAND GRABBING. No region will fall for that bait.

1 Like

Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 11:12pm On Mar 19, 2018
The minister commended the Plateau Government for its interests in developing agriculture. “Cattle colony is not using herdsmen to colonise any state. It is going to be done in partnership with state governments that will like to volunteer land for it. “The Federal Government will fund the project and those wishing to benefit from it will pay some fees. “While ranching is more of an individual venture for the herdsmen and those wishing to invest in the livestock sector, cattle colonies is a larger project where up to 40 ranchers can share same facility that will be provided by the government at a reduced rate.[quote author=eTECTIVe post=65983800]

Exactly my point... My statement is due to d fact dat d US is simply buttressing d stupid govt's solution of establishing colonies in states.. A cattle ranch is d same as cattle colonies whether run by govt or not. It's basically raising and rearing farm animals in a controlled and enclosed expanse of land. the point am making is dat ranchin is not same as colony
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by debolayinka(m): 11:13pm On Mar 19, 2018
Ranching won't work here. Fulanis as pastoral in nature. The killing spirit in them will still push them to leading their cows out to people's farms.
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 19, 2018
persius555:

Remove the goro you are probably chewing and read the text carefully. Where did the ambassador mention colony? Read up more and tell us what and how the proposed colony are supposed to be successfully managed when ranches have been proven to be most viable. If you cant manage a cattle ranch and how then do you expect to successfully manage a colony?

The definition of COLONY in Nigeria is nothing but expanded grazing a.k.a LAND GRABBING. No region will fall for that bait.
Mr ITK the difference between a cattle colony and a ranch is just semantics. Also the land these colonies are being built on do they belong to your father? Are you even a northerner to have a say on what takes place northern soil? Nobody is asking for a single square inch of your erosion infested land
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 11:15pm On Mar 19, 2018
eTECTIVe:

Exactly my point... My statement is due to d fact dat d US is simply buttressing d stupid govt's solution of establishing colonies in states.. A cattle ranch is d same as cattle colonies whether run by govt or not. It's basically raising and rearing farm animals in a controlled and enclosed expanse of land. A farm doesn't stop being a farm simply becos of its ownership structure. Why shld d govt set up colonies for cattle owners? Why shld d govt b d one establishing ranches for private bhsinessmen? Even d herdsmen have clearly rejected d idea of colonies/ranches dey simply want to force cattle colonies/ranches down d throat of states..
see what the minister said“While ranching is more of an individual venture for the herdsmen and those wishing to invest in the livestock sector, cattle colonies is a larger project where up to 40 ranchers can share same facility that will be provided by the government at a reduced rate. so is ranching d same as colony?
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by boldaslion: 11:20pm On Mar 19, 2018
GoroTango:

Goro tango or whatever you call yourself, the man said ranches, not cattle colony. Perhaps you dont know the difference between the two, or you just want to die on getting colonies to colonise. Well it will not work not work, NEVER. As per ranches, they MUST buy the land they would use, confine their herd of cattle and buy feed or grass for them, that is the stark reality. They better brace up, the earlier the better for them. In the south, we have already started ranching and soon, very soon, we will become self-sufficient in beef.

1 Like

Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Nobody: 11:23pm On Mar 19, 2018
boldaslion:

Goro tango or whatever you call yourself, the man said ranches, not cattle colony. Perhaps you dont know the difference between the two, or you just want to die on getting colonies to colonise. Well it will not work not work, NEVER. As per ranches, they MUST buy the land they would use, confine their herd of cattle and buy feed or grass for them, that is the stark reality. They better brace up, the earlier the better for them. In the south, we have already started ranching and soon, very soon, we will become self-sufficient in beef.
Oga the cattle COLONIES are being built as we speak so I don't know what the hell you are talking about
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 11:26pm On Mar 19, 2018
GoroTango:
Mr ITK the difference between a cattle colony and a ranch is just semantics. Also the land these colonies are being built on do they belong to your father? Are you even a northerner to have a say on what takes place northern soil? Nobody is asking for a single square inch of your erosion infested land
see what the minister of agriculture said about it “While ranching is more of an individual venture for the herdsmen and those wishing to invest in the livestock sector, cattle colonies is a larger project where up to 40 ranchers can share same facility that will be provided by the government at a reduced rate....so from ur little mind, cattle ranches is the same as cattle colonies? u av already started throwing insults on people.. ur worse that buhari only that ur IQ is slightly higher than buhari
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 11:28pm On Mar 19, 2018
GoroTango:
Oga the cattle COLONIES are being built as we speak so I don't know what the hell you are talking about
where and where is that cattle colony been built? or u just wan to lie?
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by unohbethel(m): 11:39pm On Mar 19, 2018
GoroTango:
see what the minister of agriculture said about it (b)“While ranching is more of an individual venture for the herdsmen and those wishing to invest in the livestock sector, cattle colonies is a larger project where up to 40 ranchers can share same facility that will be provided by the government at a reduced rate"(/b)....so from ur little mind, cattle ranches is the same as cattle colonies? u av already started throwing insults on people.. ur worse that buhari only that ur IQ is slightly higher than buhari
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by saaron(m): 11:50pm On Mar 19, 2018
No inch of south east land will be given to terrorist herders.
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 20, 2018
unohbethel:
see what the minister of agriculture said about it (b)“While ranching is more of an individual venture for the herdsmen and those wishing to invest in the livestock sector, [b]cattle colonies is a larger project where up to 40 ranchers [/b]can share same facility that will be provided by the government at a reduced rate"(/b)....so from ur little mind, cattle ranches is the same as cattle colonies? u av already started throwing insults on people.. ur worse that buhari only that ur IQ is slightly higher than buhari
You see I cannot be drawn into an argument over mere semantics, cattle colonies are an agglomeration of ranches so therefore in essesnce they are the same thing. The most important thing right now being that they are being built as we speak with government money of course

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/work-commence-cattle-colonies-next-week/
Re: US Supports Ranching As Solution To Fulani Herdsmen Crisis In Benue by Nobody: 12:22am On Mar 20, 2018
unohbethel:
where and where is that cattle colony been built? or u just wan to lie?

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/work-commence-cattle-colonies-next-week/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Minister Of Solid Minerals Nominates Wife For His Position While Eyeing Governor / OBJ: Indescent Public Romance With Photos / Kemi Forged Certificate Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.