Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,770 members, 7,802,358 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving (12675 Views)

My Car Loses Power Anytime I On My AC And Am In Traffic / Loss Of Power While Driving-accord 03 / Driver Covers Himself With Umbrella While Driving An Open-roof Benz In The Rain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by AutoReportNG: 7:13am On Mar 20, 2018
Wisdom they say is the application of knowledge, they are times that what we know is not exactly the result of the issues. Sometimes when you accelerate, your car loses power while driving. Usually, the first cause that strikes our head is inefficient fuel. While this can be one reason, there are numerous other factors as well that cause this problem. Sometimes the cause behind this problem can be different for diesel and petrol engine although there are many similarities between the two. AutoReportNG has listed some reasons below...

What Causes Car Losing Power when Driving

There can be numerous offenders slowing down your journey. Here are some of the major causes:

1. Dilapidated Spark Plugs
The combustion of the engine relies on the spark plugs of the vehicle. Their work is to transmit the electrical signal from the ignition coil to the combustion chamber. Once this happens, the spark plugs ignite the mixture of fuel and air. With faulty spark plugs, the electrical signal does not reach to the engine, properly. Thus, your car may not be able to accelerate as desired.

2. Level of Compression
The internal combustion of the vehicle is responsible to generate power to accelerate with the help of cylinder compression. Therefore, if there is a low level of compression in the engine, it will generate insufficient power causing a problem when accelerating. Low compression is also the major cause of improper ignition in the engine.

3. Defective Fuel Pump
If the car has no power when accelerating, it means there is some defect in the fuel pump. A fuel pump supplies fuel in the gas tank for the engine for combustion. Further, it also accommodates the engine’s need by regulating the pressure for the fuel. In case, it has a defect, the acceleration results in poor functioning and hence, the car may not start.

4. Damaged Air Filter
Sometimes, your car losses power while driving due to a damaged air filter. The car’s combustion uses gasoline and air to produce power, where air first goes into the air filter. The filter keeps all the bugs and debris out from entering the chamber. If you have a bad filter, your car will certainly have a problem in driving smoothly.

5. Clogged Exhaust Pipe
An exhaust pipe comprises two filters – the muffler and the catalyst. The role of catalyst is to reduce the pollution emitted from the fumes, while the muffler reduces the noise pollution. Both have their own importance. If either of the pipes has something clogged inside, then the engine will certainly impair and reduce the power it generates.

6. Damaged Ignition Coil
The ignition system has coils that convert power from the battery to ignite the engine. With a damaged ignition coil, the mixture of fuel and air would be inappropriate. Thus, a faulty ignition coil will not produce ignition properly.

By gathering some maintenance tips and doing timely diagnostics for your car, you can easily take care of your priced possession. Although sometimes car losses power while driving, there is nothing to worry too much. Automotive experts can easily handle every kind of small or big car problem. In fact, with proper car service and maintenance, your car will not experience any such problem.

Have a safe driving!

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/03/reasons-why-your-car-loses-power-while.html

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Seun
Marpol

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by AutoReportNG: 7:13am On Mar 20, 2018
Think we omit some points? You can add yours
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by izzou(m): 7:16am On Mar 20, 2018
90 percent of Nigerian auto technicians will give you only two reason

Oga, the plug no good

Oga, Na fuel pump

grin

13 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by hopeforcharles(m): 7:17am On Mar 20, 2018
My Toyota matrix 2007 stopped like 3 times on Sunday,
Therefore first it stopped and picked up immediately the same as second time too, but the third time it stopped totally I had to put hazard light on and restart the car, but since then it had not happened again.
I am thinking if it happens again I will take it to the mechanic to check fuel pump or filter.
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Debendu(m): 7:22am On Mar 20, 2018
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Fanatique: 7:22am On Mar 20, 2018
Hmm
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Nwaohafia1: 7:23am On Mar 20, 2018
Nigerians don't do routine checks on their vehicles. They only remember mechanics when the car stops them on the road.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Nwaohafia1: 7:24am On Mar 20, 2018
izzou:

Oga, the plug no good

Oga, Na fuel pump

grin

Kazeems

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Siberia01(m): 7:25am On Mar 20, 2018
izzou:

Oga, the plug no good

Oga, Na fuel pump

grin
angry
izzou:

Oga, the plug no good

Oga, Na fuel pump

grin
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Siberia01(m): 7:27am On Mar 20, 2018
Says a developer angry
izzou:

Oga, the plug no good

Oga, Na fuel pump

grin
izzou:

Oga, the plug no good

Oga, Na fuel pump

grin
izzou:

Oga, the plug no good

Oga, Na fuel pump

grin
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by CodecJay(m): 7:29am On Mar 20, 2018
Nice one. Thanks
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Nobody: 7:32am On Mar 20, 2018
Bad fuse box .

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Nobody: 7:33am On Mar 20, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Carbon buildup at the intake valves especially on GDI engines

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by niceG: 7:33am On Mar 20, 2018
Good morning, my Kia Rio 2011 model goes off after driving for long time. It takes about 20 to 30mins before it will start. It happens sometimes while on motion. I took it to mechanic, I was told it was electrical fault. Electricians couldn't trace the fault. Any idea
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by fidet1(m): 7:42am On Mar 20, 2018
If ur village people de inside booth, the car go lose power

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Nobody: 7:44am On Mar 20, 2018
1. Engines wear out. A worn out engine loses power.
2. Clutches and automatic transmission slip when worn and the car seems to be losing power.
3. A flat tire feels like the car has lost power.
4. An overheated engine from damaged radiator or hoses or lack of oil will lose power before it seizes.
5. A speed limiting device makes an engine lose power when it reaches a certain speed.
6. When the check engine light clicks on, the car loses power. To fix the losing power problem, just reset by switching the ignition off and then on again. Get a computer diagnostic test at the first opportunity.
7. In the old days it was always the plugs, points and condensor that needed replacing when an engine lost power and misfired. Now each spark plug has a coil. And a computer to quit.
8. And before fuel injection, the carburetor needed adjusting.
9. Fuel filter plugged or ice in the fuel line can still cause the engine to appear to run out of gas.

In modern cars with engine management systems, it is the system itself that reduces power if it detects a problem with the engine. A warning light will come and and the engine will go into 'limp home' mode, where speed it usually limited to 80km/h or lower. Any number of things can cause this, but usually it relates to loss of something important, like a coolant leak, or low oil pressure. Sometimes it can also be a false positive due to a fault in the management system itself.

All internal combustion engines require three things to work; compression, fuel and ignition. Degradation of any one of theses will result in lower engine performance.

Loss of compression can result from engine wear, common in engines with several hundred thousand kilometers on the clock. Engine efficiency is lost because gasses can escape past the piston rings.

Mechanical failure such as a blown head gasket can cause a similar loss.

Blockages or degradation of the fuel supply, such as a worn fuel pump will cause loss of power for obvious reasons.

Ignition faults stem from things such as a cracked distributor head, worn spark plugs, worn ignition coil or faulty spark plug leads. They generally result in some cylinders not igniting the fuel/air mix, thus reducing the power.

Loss of lubricant or coolant will cause the engine to overheat and then seize. In this case, loss of power is 100%.

Worn bearings in the engine will usually not reduce power much, they will keep working, making more and more noise, and then fail catastrophically, causing the engine to seize.

It is also possible for timing chains to slip, adjustment screws to loosen in the carburetor, exhaust manifolds to develop leaks , and other minor mechanical faults to occur that will reduce engine power. This can happen suddenly or gradually over time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Peterosky(m): 7:45am On Mar 20, 2018
Op thanks for this information. My Toyota Camry (pencil light)is giving me this problem. Have changed fuel pump like twice, changed plugs as well as serviced nozzles and injector to no avail. I am beginning to believe that I need to check the ignition coils cos some one earlier mentioned it.
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by OboOlora(f): 7:45am On Mar 20, 2018
niceG:
Good morning, my Kia Rio 2011 model goes off after driving for long time. It takes about 20 to 30mins before it will start. It happens sometimes while on motion. I took it to mechanic, I was told it was electrical fault. Electricians couldn't trace the fault. Any idea
Take it to a Kia service Centre, most of these mechanics do try n error
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by Nobody: 7:47am On Mar 20, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Forgot this, if there's a vacum leak from any of the pressure hoses
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by OboOlora(f): 7:50am On Mar 20, 2018
Peterosky:
Op thanks for this information. My Toyota Camry (pencil light)is giving me this problem. Have changed fuel pump like twice, changed plugs as well as serviced nozzles and injector to no avail. I am beginning to believe that I need to check the ignition coils cos some one earlier mentioned it.
Bro, get them to scan the car. It will clearly show (through codes) what is faulty.
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by NonFarmPayrol: 7:57am On Mar 20, 2018
i suspect mine to be air filter related

likes tripping off at low speeds and dulls acceleration at times

my fuel pump is still new not up to 4 months
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by seyiojomu(m): 8:00am On Mar 20, 2018
Add malfunctioning transmission to the list
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by DonBobes(m): 8:10am On Mar 20, 2018
AutoReportNG:

Yh mine was BATTERY, back den wen i had my honday
Re: Reasons Why Your Car Loses Power While Driving by siralos135: 8:11am On Mar 20, 2018
My car looses power on motion and when it is on park.I had to change the fuel pump.It does not loose power again on motion but when it on park especially when waiting @ traffic light.I will have to off it and then it starts again! Abeg wetin I fit do o.The car is Opel 2005 model

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Convert Right Hand Drive Truck To Left Hand Drive (urgent) / I’ve Sold 30 Stolen Vehicles – Engineer / Why Do ECUs/ECMs/PCMs Always Go Bad Frequently In Naija?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.