Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,703 members, 7,802,094 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars (3886 Views)

Buying A Car From Cotonou / Prices Of Tokunbo Cars In Cotonou! 2020 Update! / Buying Of Cars In Cotonou (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by valarinz: 9:38pm On Mar 30, 2018
erico2k2:

You can, but it wont be straight 4ward,I can assure you.I think you would need to convince them.tbh I wont cross fingers on that.

If it can be done, even with the convincing, then don't you think the people who bring in cars from Cotonou can pay duty that way too?

I believe the main reason why the land border was stopped was to increase revenue or so. The duty payment from that Cotonou angle was always cheaper than Lagos, so I think they just want everyone to come pay the duty at Lagos

Might be wrong though
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by erico2k2(m): 9:54pm On Mar 30, 2018
valarinz:

If it can be done, even with the convincing, then don't you think the people who bring in cars from Cotonou can pay duty that way too?

I believe the main reason why the land border was stopped was to increase revenue or so. The duty payment from that Cotonou angle was always cheaper than Lagos, so I think they just want everyone to come pay the duty at Lagos

Might be wrong though
Bro let me correct your misconception in the 1st instance, cotonu cars are not cheaper than cars brought in fru the sea port by much difference, highest N50 to N80k(Personal experience) and you risk damagin ur car,I brought in total of 7 cars that way, 4 of them had problems.
Now check this, now that you have gone to the customs to say you had fake papers, dont you think you will be rquired to pay full duty? add that to the initial fake duty you paid, would it now not be pennywise pound foolish?

1 Like

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by zjY853H: 10:00pm On Mar 30, 2018
I need someone to get me hire purchase car for uber /taxify deal.pls help
out,
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by valarinz: 11:15pm On Mar 30, 2018
erico2k2:

Bro let me correct your misconception in the 1st instance, cotonu cars are not cheaper than cars brought in fru the sea port by much difference, highest N50 to N80k(Personal experience) and you risk damagin ur car,I brought in total of 7 cars that way, 4 of them had problems.
Now check this, now that you have gone to the customs to say you had fake papers, dont you think you will be rquired to pay full duty? add that to the initial fake duty you paid, would it now not be pennywise pound foolish?

I didn't say the cars was cheaper, I was referring to the duty.
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by valarinz: 11:20pm On Mar 30, 2018
erico2k2:

I didn't say the cars were cheaper, I only referred to the duty.

Note, my posts is not to argue for/against buying cars from cotonou vs Lagos but to shed light on the possibility of getting a genuine duty for cotonou cars
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by erico2k2(m): 8:08am On Mar 31, 2018
valarinz:

I didn't say the cars were cheaper, I only referred to the duty.

Note, my posts is not to argue for/against buying cars from cotonou vs Lagos but to shed light on the possibility of getting a genuine duty for cotonou cars
Come on bro.how do one get anything genuine from things prepared fraudulently ?
2nd if it's going to cost more what's the point then ?
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by saintjoel(m): 8:56am On Mar 31, 2018
valarinz:

One question pls, if you find out your car duty papers are fake and you decide to go and pay duty on it, is it also impossible??

Car that's already in use and registered oo

Good morning, you can get papers for a vehicle with lost or fake duty papers but you'll need proof that it has been in Nigeria for a while.

1 Like

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by saintjoel(m): 9:06am On Mar 31, 2018
The OP didn't show us the pictures of the vehicle inside Cotonou and of it's arrival in Lagos to show as proof, his thread kind of gives me the opinion that it was created to promote the services of a certain person that deals with cotonou cars.

And like someone rightly said that people may not want to cast themselves on open threads like these, editing is just one way out of so many that importers and agents use to get legit documents for their Cotonou vehicles through tincan. Editing is only for the penny wise and pound foolish people, people that want to spend 200k/400k to get documents for a 2014 Camry...

When you've real cash to spend, you'll certainly get real and legit papers, methods that can't be discussing openly.

Locking down the border Was The greatest mistake FG made because guys started churning out legit duty documents within two months after the ban started.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by valarinz: 11:44am On Mar 31, 2018
erico2k2:

Come on bro.how do one get anything genuine from things prepared fraudulently ?
2nd if it's going to cost more what's the point then ?

Yea, let me divert a little to shed some light on your second question.

Some people believe that going to cotonou gives them access to a wider range of cars and they get to choose the best to suit their taste, unlike in Lagos where you're limited to whatever the dealers have imported

Also some people despise the Lagos route cos then , you have to buy a car and ship and wait for weeks or months before arrival, whereas they can just cross over to cotonou and do 'point and kill' and come back home asap with their dream ride

1 Like

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by erico2k2(m): 12:28pm On Mar 31, 2018
valarinz:

Yea, let me divert a little to shed some light on your second question.

Some people believe that going to cotonou gives them access to a wider range of cars and they get to choose the best to suit their taste, unlike in Lagos where you're limited to whatever the dealers have imported

Also some people despise the Lagos route cos then , you have to buy a car and ship and wait for weeks or months before arrival, whereas they can just cross over to cotonou and do 'point and kill' and come back home asap with their dream ride
I agree with you on the large range to chose from option . But you know the vast majority of people go to cotonou for the simple reason that they have this false sense of abundance equating cheap .
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by bravolad(m): 12:33pm On Mar 31, 2018
erico2k2:

Cars are actually cheaper in Cotonou. There a number of reasons buyers may choose Cotonou over buying in Lagos; First, Cotonou gives a buyer a wider range of options against what’s obtained in Lagos.

Secondly, because Cotonou dealers don’t pay duty, they have more leverage to import clean tittle cars. This duty is paid by the buyer before he’s allowed to take the car out of the park.

Thirdly, the duty at the land border is cheaper compared to that of the sea port. There are no such things as demurrage & others charges are the land border.

Therefore, if properly articulated, a buyer can save well over a ₦100k.

However, with the closure of land borders, cars bought from Cotonou after this announcement becomes illegal. In terms getting genuine documents, I don’t think any level of document doctoring will make the papers genuine. Except it’s bought in Cotonou & shipped back to Lagos which will negate the whole essence of the deal.

I know this is Nigeria where anything is possible but how would a buyer spending additional cash guarantee genuine custom papers? What about BL & shipping manifest? The buyer is probably convinced to believe the documents are not fake but if NCS catches up with the holder & does a thorough investigation, that car is gone.

My thoughts anyway.
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by erico2k2(m): 1:00pm On Mar 31, 2018
bravolad:

Cars are actually cheaper in Cotonou. There a number of reasons buyers may choose Cotonou over buying in Lagos; First, Cotonou gives a buyer a wider range of options against what’s obtained in Lagos.

Secondly, because Cotonou dealers don’t pay duty, they have more leverage to import clean tittle cars. This duty is paid by the buyer before he’s allowed to take the car out of the park.

Thirdly, the duty at the land border is cheaper compared to that of the sea port. There are no such things as demurrage & others charges are the land border.

Therefore, if properly articulated, a buyer can save well over a ₦100k.

However, with the closure of land borders, cars bought from Cotonou after this announcement becomes illegal. In terms getting genuine documents, I don’t think any level of document doctoring will make the papers genuine. Except it’s bought in Cotonou & shipped back to Lagos which will negate the whole essence of the deal.

I know this is Nigeria where anything is possible but how would a buyer spending additional cash guarantee genuine custom papers? What about BL & shipping manifest? The buyer is probably convinced to believe the documents are not fake but if NCS catches up with the holder & does a thorough investigation, that car is gone.

My thoughts anyway.

Your last paragraph was what I ha e been trying to say here but glad you said it again .
Bro U know somewhere in 2008 I shipped 2 cars fru cotonou and one fru lagos same time . I did not save more than N40k plus I had to make it in-transit cos shipping directly to cotonou as final destination is more expensive . Then there is the risk cos no Nigerian crosses your car .
Now I agree most people go to cotonou for the fact that there is a wide range to chose from but dnt be fooled . It don't always translate into cheap . So if one pays duty in cotonou and same person pays duty on same car in Nigeria do the maths bro .
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by Readonee35L(m): 3:35pm On Mar 31, 2018
erico2k2:

Your last paragraph was what I ha e been trying to say here but glad you said it again .
Bro U know somewhere in 2008 I shipped 2 cars fru cotonou and one fru lagos same time . I did not save more than N40k plus I had to make it in-transit cos shipping directly to cotonou as final destination is more expensive . Then there is the risk cos no Nigerian crosses your car .
Now I agree most people go to cotonou for the fact that there is a wide range to chose from but dnt be fooled . It don't always translate into cheap . So if one pays duty in cotonou and same person pays duty on same car in Nigeria do the maths bro .
Clearing a car from cotonou doesn't favor old vehicles . Because you imported cars back in the day doesnt mean its the same playing ground today.
For instance.
Back in the days when border was opened.

400k will clear a 2005 camry through lagos port.
If you ship the car to cotonou.
You'd first pay about 250k for cotonou duty. The remaining 150k i wonder how you'd use it to arrange its duty when you get to the nigerian border. You might end up spending more.

Besides if it was a. Newer vehicle like a 2017 Benz e class. Lagos duty might be 4-5million naira
To clear same car from cotonou. you might not spend above 2-2.5M.

The problem with you now is you're comparing the days you were in nigeria with the present . You seem to think you know nigeria more from your Office there in the Uk than the people that are here.

There's more to everything you know and there will always be underground process.
P.s I'm not a custom officer or a clearing agent. But I'm just making you aware of some things

1 Like

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by chukel(m): 6:11pm On Mar 31, 2018
saintjoel:
The OP didn't show us the pictures of the vehicle inside Cotonou and of it's arrival in Lagos to show as proof, his thread kind of gives me the opinion that it was created to promote the services of a certain person that deals with cotonou cars.

And like someone rightly said that people may not want to cast themselves on open threads like these, editing is just one way out of so many that importers and agents use to get legit documents for their Cotonou vehicles through tincan. Editing is only for the penny wise and pound foolish people, people that want to spend 200k/400k to get documents for a 2014 Camry...

When you've real cash to spend, you'll certainly get real and legit papers, methods that can't be discussing openly.

Locking down the border Was The greatest mistake FG made because guys started churning out legit duty documents within two months after the ban started.
when are you refunding my money.

1 Like

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by thebigkendo(m): 6:57pm On Mar 31, 2018
chukel:

Ghen Ghen Ghen!!

2 Likes

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by erico2k2(m): 9:10pm On Mar 31, 2018
Readonee35L:

Clearing a car from cotonou doesn't favor old vehicles Because you imported cars back in the day doesnt mean its the same playing ground today.
For instance.
Back in the days when border was opened.

400k will clear a 2005 camry through lagos port.
If you ship the car to cotonou.
You'd first pay about 250k for cotonou duty. The remaining 150k i wonder how you'd use it to arrange its duty when you get to the nigerian border. You might end up spending more.

Besides if it was a. Newer vehicle like a 2017 Benz e class. Lagos duty might be 4-5million naira
To clear same car from cotonou. you might not spend above 2-2.5M.

The problem with you now is you're comparing the days you were in nigeria with the present . You seem to think you know nigeria more from your Office there in the Uk than the people that are here.

There's more to everything you know and there will always be underground process.
P.s I'm not a custom officer or a clearing agent. But I'm nust making you aware of some things
Bro relax.I'm still in tune with 9ja as we speak my last shipped car was in 2016 and I'm doing my personal car thus year . But like you said underground . That's not dame as real but evry malam with his own kettle .
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by diportivo: 10:14pm On Mar 31, 2018
chukel:

1 Like

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by Inception(m): 11:43pm On Mar 31, 2018
chukel:
Demeanors!

Jollof rice go soon don oooo!

1 Like

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by valarinz: 9:29am On Apr 01, 2018
erico2k2:

Bro relax.I'm still in tune with 9ja as we speak my last shipped car was in 2016 and I'm doing my personal car thus year . But like you said underground . That's not dame as real but evry malam with his own kettle .

2016?? This is 2018 na, truly like someone up there just said, you might be a lil rusty as regards things that obtains on ground currently
Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by Bizzyliss(m): 2:00pm On Apr 03, 2018
saintjoel:

car in cotonou

Re: The Deals Behind Cotonou Cars by Bizzyliss(m): 2:02pm On Apr 03, 2018
Car in nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rwved / Help! Murano Vs Infinty Fx 35 / Mercedes S Classes W126. W140 W215 W220

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.