Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,455 members, 7,801,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

12 Viruses In Your Cv - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 12 Viruses In Your Cv (16058 Views)

If You Have These 4 Things On Your CV, Then You Are Your Own Problem! / How To Construct Your CV To Get Multiple Invites / Get A Job With The Right Cv - Allow Me Rewrite Your Cv To Meet That Job Standard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Viruses In Your Cv by JARUSHUB: 10:29am On Mar 20, 2018
By Moruf Kolawole Nasir

Errors/mistakes in CVs is also an area which has been widely written on, but most of the articles are filled with conflicting dos and don’ts thus putting job seekers in more confusion. We will attempt to identify some likely ‘dents’ in most job seekers CVs.

1. Copy & Paste Syndrome: Almost all of us are guilty of this, right? I was going through the CV of an applicant for a driver’s job few months ago, the young man can neither read nor write (because he could not fill a form given to him) yet his hobbies are reading and writing. In another case, a very smart looking fresh graduate was referred to me, I asked him questions relating to his course of study he did not do well until I addressed him as Economics graduate when he snapped in to ‘correct’ me that he studied business administration not Economics, I had no choice but to refer him to the CV he gave me. Oh! He exclaimed, “I am sorry I used my friend’s CV, I forgot to change the course of study”. Many job seekers inject their CVs with this kind of virus. Most times your person and background differ from the person whose CV you are adopting.

2. Unnecessary information: Fresh graduates are mostly guilty of this. Just to make sure their CV is ‘full’, they add "viruses" to it. Who says a one page CV cannot do better than two pages? What business of the recruiter is your home town or your religious denomination? He will find out those if he needs them before hiring you.

3. The‘Jokey’ email address: Yeah! The content of your email address matters. Trust me, nobody will be comfortable sending interview invitation to beerlover@yahoo.com or hotlips@gmail.com for a position. Check if your email address qualifies for ‘jockey’ one and rid your CV of that virus.

4. Incorrect/Insufficient Personal/Contact Details: While going through some CVs for the post of ICT manager many months ago, I saw a very good CV (a candidate with the requisite experience and skills for the job), I went back to the top of the CV to invite him for interview, lo and behold! His contact information was missing. Other job seekers carelessly miss a letter or sign in their email addresses. While yet another set omit a number or mix numbers up in their contact phone numbers. All these are bottle necks to invitations for interviews.

5. Design and format: I once saw a CV so nicely designed that I stopped for a while to look at the aesthetic value of the CV. Guess what? The aesthetics drew my attention away from the content of the CV and as such the owner missed the opportunity of having the content of his CV assessed. Similarly, some CVs are badly formatted (using different font style inappropriately) that one wonders if they were not actually designed to put the recruiter off. These are viruses to CVs.

6. Telling Lies in your CV: It is unfortunate that the competition in the labour market makes most job seeker stoop so low to the extent of putting false information in their CVs. Unfortunately for them, experienced HR professionals are good at identifying such lies.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Josephjnr(m): 10:33am On Mar 20, 2018
What kind of virus?

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by JARUSHUB: 10:46am On Mar 20, 2018
7. Writing a Novel as CV: The longest CV I have seen is 17 pages for the post of operations manager, isn’t that amazing? He was actually invited for interview to come and prove that he is not wasteful. And that was the question he battled with all through. Some recruiters are even of the opinion that two pages is the maximum for fresh graduates.

8. Using Photo: I sometimes wonder who started the photo thing in Nigeria. In case you don’t know, printing CVs with pictures consumes more printer ink than CV without pictures. Apart from this, instead of judging the content of your CV the recruiter’s attention is shifted to the object in the CV (your picture) and this might reduce your chances of fair assessment of your CV. This may be the norm in Far East and Europe, but sorry it doesn’t apply to us here (unless you are applying for a role in the fashion/modelling industry). When recruiters need your picture, they specifically request for it.

9. Spelling Mistakes, Typos and Grammatical Errors: How will you feel if you are looking through a CV and come across “I have had sex jobs so far…” instead of six jobs so far? This virus (typos, spelling and grammatical errors) has been over flogged, so no point dwelling much on it. The good news is, hiring managers are not grammarians and as such they are not after your spelling mistakes, typographic or grammatical errors. It becomes an issue, and a serious one, if the flaws are visible enough to be noticed.

10. Leaving out Information or Creating Gap: I may not blame you for not being employed, for a while after graduating from the university etc. I will only see you as a bad hire if the vacuum shows in your CV without you accounting for it productively. So if you have that in your CV then it is a virus. Make productive use of the gap.

11. Duties instead of Accomplishments: Highlighting the duties of the job you were/are doing is a waste of space. Rather than saying what your duties were/are, why not state what you were/are able to accomplish while performing those duties?

12. Irrelevant Experience: In as much as we cannot justifiably fault recruiters decision to hire applicants with work experience, Job seekers should not leverage on that to give irrelevant work experience. Two weeks of relevant work experience is more valuable to a prospective employer than two years of shelves stacking (except you are applying to work in a book shop or library). Rather than give irrelevant work experience, why not identify the aspect of what you’ve got that tallies with your target job?

http://www.jarushub.com/12-viruses-in-your-cv/

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Teeboi56: 12:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
Comment later
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
Virus Bawo?
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by gergemam: 12:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Well said, but when I bin get referral no wahala
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by spicytayomic(m): 12:08pm On Mar 20, 2018
virus kiss
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Iyajelili(f): 12:08pm On Mar 20, 2018
What then should we put in our CV? I just weak for this country of don't do this and don't do that yet nothing to show for it. Employers make you look like an incompetent fool and a failure, the government advises that you become an entrepreneur yet necessary facilities to help float and sustain a business is not in place by the government. Yes, we are half-baked but i know someday we all will be free from this unfounded and baseless accusation against the good people of Nigeria and mostly jobless graduates.

25 Likes

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by drey076(m): 12:09pm On Mar 20, 2018
m
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Coldfeets: 12:12pm On Mar 20, 2018
lipsrsealed
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Coldfeets: 12:12pm On Mar 20, 2018
About that grammatical error of a thing, any day I see any CV with something like:

"Am a graduate of..."

"Am from..."

"Am a professional..."

And so on...

Just know that nothing on earth will make me to hire you! lipsrsealed

Just consider yourself automatically disqualified.

Fools.
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by ozoebuka1(m): 12:14pm On Mar 20, 2018
As if all these will give you the job... Abeg who God no help not even the smartest cv can help him.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Klington: 12:16pm On Mar 20, 2018
Coldfeets:
About that grammatical error of a thing, any day I see any CV with something like:

"Am a graduate of..."

"Am from..."

"Am a professional..."

And so on...

Fools.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by yomalex(m): 12:24pm On Mar 20, 2018
interesting!
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by swimmer: 12:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
the Op is wrong on a lot of counts.

How in God's name will a nicely formated cv distract you from content except the recruiter is bad at his job!!

then Pictures. i put mine and i get called regularly. if ink is your problem, i dont want to work with you anyway.

other points are passable.

5 Likes

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by benedictnsi(m): 12:27pm On Mar 20, 2018
JARUSHUB:
By Moruf Kolawole Nasir

Errors/mistakes in CVs is also an area which has been widely written on, but most of the articles are filled with conflicting dos and don’ts thus putting job seekers in more confusion. We will attempt to identify some likely ‘dents’ in most job seekers CVs.

1. Copy & Paste Syndrome: Almost all of us are guilty of this, right? I was going through the CV of an applicant for a driver’s job few months ago, the young man can neither read nor write (because he could not fill a form given to him) yet his hobbies are reading and writing. In another case, a very smart looking fresh graduate was referred to me, I asked him questions relating to his course of study he did not do well until I addressed him as Economics graduate when he snapped in to ‘correct’ me that he studied business administration not Economics, I had no choice but to refer him to the CV he gave me. Oh! He exclaimed, “I am sorry I used my friend’s CV, I forgot to change the course of study”. Many job seekers inject their CVs with this kind of virus. Most times your person and background differ from the person whose CV you are adopting.

2. Unnecessary information: Fresh graduates are mostly guilty of this. Just to make sure their CV is ‘full’, they add "viruses" to it. Who says a one page CV cannot do better than two pages? What business of the recruiter is your home town or your religious denomination? He will find out those if he needs them before hiring you.

3. The‘Jokey’ email address: Yeah! The content of your email address matters. Trust me, nobody will be comfortable sending interview invitation to beerlover@yahoo.com or hotlips@gmail.com for a position. Check if your email address qualifies for ‘jockey’ one and rid your CV of that virus.

4. Incorrect/Insufficient Personal/Contact Details: While going through some CVs for the post of ICT manager many months ago, I saw a very good CV (a candidate with the requisite experience and skills for the job), I went back to the top of the CV to invite him for interview, lo and behold! His contact information was missing. Other job seekers carelessly miss a letter or sign in their email addresses. While yet another set omit a number or mix numbers up in their contact phone numbers. All these are bottle necks to invitations for interviews.

5. Design and format: I once saw a CV so nicely designed that I stopped for a while to look at the aesthetic value of the CV. Guess what? The aesthetics drew my attention away from the content of the CV and as such the owner missed the opportunity of having the content of his CV assessed. Similarly, some CVs are badly formatted (using different font style inappropriately) that one wonders if they were not actually designed to put the recruiter off. These are viruses to CVs.

6. Telling Lies in your CV: It is unfortunate that the competition in the labour market makes most job seeker stoop so low to the extent of putting false information in their CVs. Unfortunately for them, experienced HR professionals are good at identifying such lies.

Bros.... I like your blog, can I work for you?? I wish to just acquire knowledge, not necessarily remuneration

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by anubabab: 12:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
at last.... I am free from CV virus

2 Likes

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by baddosky1: 12:28pm On Mar 20, 2018
I am self-employed so this topic is not for me

2 Likes

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Gistforme(m): 12:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
Coldfeets:

"Am a graduate of..."

"Am from..."

"Am a professional..."

And so on...

Fools.
should I say am a thief of or Wat d heck do u want ..
If u r nt carefull ogun will start following u

3 Likes

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by mikebrown92: 12:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
So we need Anti virus to clear and detect those viruses

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by baddosky1: 12:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
swimmer:
the Op is wrong on a lot of counts.

How in God's name will a nicely formated cv distract you from content except the recruiter is bad at his job!!

then Pictures. i put mine and i get called regularly. if ink is your problem, i dont want to work with you anyway.

other points are passable.

Bro...putting your photo on your CV is not ethical. What do you want the employers to see? Your pointed nose or your hairstyle?

2 Likes

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by NothingDoMe: 12:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
Coldfeets:

"Am a graduate of..."

"Am from..."

"Am a professional..."

And so on...

Fools.
Who be this one?

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by ibnchokomah(m): 12:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
The picture assertion is not just unverified but also false!!!

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Nobody: 12:47pm On Mar 20, 2018
Coldfeets:

"Am a graduate of..."

"Am from..."

"Am a professional..."

And so on...

Fools.

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by obonujoker(m): 1:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
coldfeets is right..... what's the meaning of "am a graduate", why not start with 'I am a graduate...." or if village people like you , "me am a graduate ..."....?

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Krafty006: 1:08pm On Mar 20, 2018
tired of looking for jobs.....https://www.nairaland.com/4405075/new-designs
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by zeeman123(m): 1:15pm On Mar 20, 2018
information
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by ashlyfab78(m): 1:20pm On Mar 20, 2018
Coldfeets:

"Am a graduate of..."

"Am from..."

"Am a professional..."

And so on...

Fools.

You have little experience about life.

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Benjom(m): 1:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
Great
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Coldfeets: 1:57pm On Mar 20, 2018
obonujoker:
coldfeets is right..... what's the meaning of "am a graduate", why not start with 'I am a graduate...." or if village people like you , "me am a graduate ..."....?

Do you mind them at all?

Most of them didn't even get the point I AM trying to get across.

Fools.
Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by menwongo(m): 2:21pm On Mar 20, 2018
Iyajelili:
What then should we put in our CV? I just weak for this country of don't do this and don't do that yet nothing to show for it. Employers make you look like an incompetent fool and a failure, the government advises that you become an entrepreneur yet necessary facilities to help float and sustain a business is not in place by the government. Yes, we are half-baked but i know someday we all will be free from this unfounded and baseless accusation against the good people of Nigeria and mostly jobless graduates.
99% of jobs advert had been filled up before advertising them in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 12 Viruses In Your Cv by Iyajelili(f): 2:36pm On Mar 20, 2018
menwongo:

99% of jobs advert had been filled up before advertising them in Nigeria

Then they make you look stupid that sometimes you may think you are the problem.........it is well sha

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Was Your First Salary Ever?? / Nnpc Recruitment For Fresh Graduates / Naptu2: Why Nigerians Need To Stop Attacking Firefighters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.