Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History (16875 Views)

Japanese Government Expresses Interest In Nigeria’s Auto Industry / Volkswagen, Auto Industry Operators Explore Prospects To Set Up In Nigeria / The Tesla Semi And The Tesla Roadster And The Future Of The Auto Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Automotive1(m): 12:56pm On Mar 20, 2018
With Volkswagen firmly in the spotlight after admitting that 11 million of its diesel vehicles globally contain software that can rig emissions tests,
it's important to realise that there have been many other auto industry scandals spanning several decades. 

Here are some of the most spectacular automotive scandals in hystory.

1) Volkswagen - Dieselgate scandal

The ‘dieselgate’ scandal blew-up in September 2015 after Volkswagen cheated on US diesel-emissions tests allowing its cars to pass emissions tests with flying colours.

As its legal woes continue, this scandal could cost Volkswagen around $20 billion.

2) Takata: Exploding airbags

The Japanese manufacturer of airbags has recalled airbags in some 19.2 million vehicles around the world .The airbags can inflate too quickly and explode, sending metal shrapnel into drivers and passengers. Eight deaths and about 100 injuries in the U.S. have been attributed to the defect. 

3) General Motors's Faulty switches

The GM's faulty ignition switches was linked to at least 169 deaths and over 29-million vehicles recalled. The switch could slip out of the run position and turn the engine off while driving. Earlier 2015, GM agreed to pay $900-million to settle a criminal investigation.

GM has admitted that some employees knew about the problem for nearly a decade.

4) Toyota's unexpected Acceleration

Toyota agreed to pay $1.2-billion in a settlement in 2014, admitting that it hid information about defects that caused Toyota and Lexus vehicles to accelerate unexpectedly.

A Lexus ES350 started accelerating on its own and reached 125m/h before it crashed and killed four people . Toyota first tried to blame driver error but eventually recalled more than 10-million vehicles.

5) Ford Pinto: Faulty fuel tanks

In 1970s,at least 27 people died due to the faulty fuel tanks in the Ford Pinto, after selling 328,275 cars in its first year.

The fuel tank would burst into flames after rear-end collision. Ford recalled more than 1.5-million Pintos in 1978. It was reported that Ford knew about the fault and chose to pay out injury claims instead of fixing the flaw. 

6) Ferrari 458's explosions 

In 2012, Ferrari recalled an entire £212-million fleets of its £170,000 Ferrari 458 supercars because of a design fault that caused it to burst into flames.

The fires were as a result of a flaw in the wheel arch fitted with a special glue that came in contact with the hot exhaust pipe which causes the lining and adhesive to heat up and ignite.

7) Ford's defective transmissions

Fords automatic transmissions, built from 1966 and 1980m were flawed and could slip from park into reverse causing more than 700 accidents, 23 deaths and 259 injuries.

Ford mailed 23 million stickers to owners to put on their dashboard reminding them to “make sure the gear selector lever is fully engaged in Park,” and to “fully engage the parking brake” before switching off the car.

8 ) Ford Explorer/Firestone Exploding tyres

In 2000,about 6.5-million Firestone tyres were recalled because the tyres could shred and ultimately blow-out. Most of the tyres were used in Ford SUVs. 271 reports of deaths and 800 injuries related to the faulty tyres were received.

9) Firestone - Rollover scandal
More than 100 people lost their lives in the scandal which saw Explorer SUV fitted with Firestone tyres prone to rollovers. Ford ended up blaming Firestone...Firestone blamed Ford.

Firestone recalled 6.5-million tyres,blaming low tyre pressure, heat and the Explorer's weight among other things. Shortly after this scandal Ford and Firestone ended their partnership. 

Source https://autojosh.com/these-are-9-of-the-worst-scandals-in-auto-industry-history/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by simak1(m): 1:29pm On Mar 20, 2018
First comenter after so long wait...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 20, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by wwwtortoise(m): 1:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
Honda series fragile wheel bearing.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by obafemee80(m): 1:31pm On Mar 20, 2018
undecided
Hmm takata airbag that's suppose to save you...

2 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by lawaol2003(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2018
Na wa o...thanks...the toyota self acceleration... shocked...dt one na wahala o
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by prettyboy5: 1:41pm On Mar 20, 2018
The funny thing is that most of these issues experienced by these cars would gladly be overlooked here in Nigeria grin Guy man go dey enjoy him car dey go as long as it looks fresh

16 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by midform(m): 1:44pm On Mar 20, 2018
Educative !

1 Like

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Decryptor(m): 1:47pm On Mar 20, 2018
That No.4 is very true. Happened to a friend along Abaji-Kwali Expressway in 2010 while driving his camry muscle. The car just started accelerating like joke. He had to put the gear on "Park" and pulled his handbrake while the vehicle was doing over 140km. the vehicle lifted off the ground and landed in the nearby bush. Transmission was shattered and the vehicle was totaled.

Dude was like "it was a spiritual attack" until we stumbled across the news of the recall of Toyota Camry vehicles especially that muscle version.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by iamnicer: 1:49pm On Mar 20, 2018
What about Honda

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by wildcatter23(m): 1:56pm On Mar 20, 2018
Q
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by dadabashua1(m): 2:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
Decryptor:
That No.4 is very true. Happened to a friend along Abaji-Kwali Expressway in 2010 while driving his camry muscle. The car just started accelerating like joke. He had to put the gear on "Park" and pulled his handbrake while the vehicle was doing over 140km. the vehicle lifted off the ground and landed in the nearby bush. Transmission was shattered and the vehicle was totaled.

Dude was like "it was a spiritual attack" until we stumbled across the news of the recall of Toyota Camry vehicles especially that muscle version.
guess his village people were vindicated on this one....menh not funny sha.

22 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Lordave: 2:15pm On Mar 20, 2018
Ford =Fraud!

2 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by SaAbbas(m): 2:16pm On Mar 20, 2018
Decryptor:

My broda, your case is just the village people handiwork.
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Olateef(m): 2:20pm On Mar 20, 2018
I think my Keke Napep should be recalled.. rain beats me while driving to work in it

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Olateef(m): 2:22pm On Mar 20, 2018
lawaol2003:
Na wa o...thanks...the toyota self acceleration... shocked...dt one na wahala o
The advantage is that you policemen won't be able to catch you
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Onyenna(m): 2:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
Huh!?

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by eherbal(m): 2:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
iamnicer:
What about Honda
hater sighted #teamhonda grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 2:30pm On Mar 20, 2018
Not one Benz, BMW, Volvo or dodge in sight. Nice.....

1 Like

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by phemolala07(m): 2:32pm On Mar 20, 2018
Lordave:
Ford =Fraud!
Pls explain
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by jaytime(m): 2:35pm On Mar 20, 2018
What could be more scandalous than the fact that every car that breaks down on the road with its front wheel off is a Honda? I personally feel embarrassed for the company itself each time I see this. Maybe it's their own marketing strategy; what do I know?!

8 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by chronique(m): 2:46pm On Mar 20, 2018
No 4. I've experienced that couple of times with the recent Toyota models. It felt like the car was pulling away all by itself and on one occasion, I almost hit a vehicle coming from the other side. I was embarrassed at the look I got from other drivers but couldn't explain how it happened. If not for sharp reflexes and being alert, I'd have crashed the vehicle. Didn't even know there was such a thing with Toyota Camrys. Now I know better.

8 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by agarawu23(m): 2:56pm On Mar 20, 2018
wwwtortoise:
Honda series fragile wheel bearing.
its funny why Honda didn't Made the list. Despite their failure in the wheel, they are yet to recall or even fix the error. I see lot of Honda cars with their bent leg on bad road.

2 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by wtfcoded: 3:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
Odikwa egwu, I nukwa self acceleration shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by oyetunder(m): 3:12pm On Mar 20, 2018
okies...See deaths as results of these errors. Only God has the power to shield us all from hidden deaths. Yea, one can be so careful, yet there are things one does not even know are deadly hiding in secret places.

3 Likes

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Coolgent(m): 3:14pm On Mar 20, 2018
agarawu23:
its funny why Honda didn't Made the list. Despite their failure in the wheel, they are yet to recall or even fix the error. I see lot of Honda cars with their bent leg on bad road.
btos na lack of maintenance dey cause that one. i have been riding many honda models since 2006 without that issue

1 Like

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 20, 2018
prettyboy5:
The funny thing is that most of these issues experienced by these cars would gladly be overlooked here in Nigeria grin Guy man go dey enjoy him car dey go as long as it looks fresh
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by uuzba(m): 3:36pm On Mar 20, 2018
simak1:
First comenter after so long wait...

Certificate for you. Well done.

Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by Nobody: 3:37pm On Mar 20, 2018
jaytime:
What could be more scandalous than the fact that every car that breaks down on the road with it's front wheel off is a Honda? I personally feel embarrassed for the company itself each time I see this. Maybe its their own marketing strategy; what do I know?!
Re: These Are 9 Of The Worst Scandals In Auto Industry History by bejeria101(m): 3:39pm On Mar 20, 2018
Automotive1:
With Volkswagen firmly in the spotlight after admitting that 11 million of its diesel vehicles globally contain software that can rig emissions tests,
it's important to realise that there have been many other auto industry scandals spanning several decades. 

Here are some of the most spectacular automotive scandals in hystory.

1) Volkswagen - Dieselgate scandal

The ‘dieselgate’ scandal blew-up in September 2015 after Volkswagen cheated on US diesel-emissions tests allowing its cars to pass emissions tests with flying colours.

As its legal woes continue, this scandal could cost Volkswagen around $20 billion.

2) Takata: Exploding airbags

The Japanese manufacturer of airbags has recalled airbags in some 19.2 million vehicles around the world .The airbags can inflate too quickly and explode, sending metal shrapnel into drivers and passengers. Eight deaths and about 100 injuries in the U.S. have been attributed to the defect. 

3) General Motors's Faulty switches

The GM's faulty ignition switches was linked to at least 169 deaths and over 29-million vehicles recalled. The switch could slip out of the run position and turn the engine off while driving. Earlier 2015, GM agreed to pay $900-million to settle a criminal investigation.

GM has admitted that some employees knew about the problem for nearly a decade.

4) Toyota's unexpected Acceleration

Toyota agreed to pay $1.2-billion in a settlement in 2014, admitting that it hid information about defects that caused Toyota and Lexus vehicles to accelerate unexpectedly.

A Lexus ES350 started accelerating on its own and reached 125m/h before it crashed and killed four people . Toyota first tried to blame driver error but eventually recalled more than 10-million vehicles.

5) Ford Pinto: Faulty fuel tanks

In 1970s,at least 27 people died due to the faulty fuel tanks in the Ford Pinto, after selling 328,275 cars in its first year.

The fuel tank would burst into flames after rear-end collision. Ford recalled more than 1.5-million Pintos in 1978. It was reported that Ford knew about the fault and chose to pay out injury claims instead of fixing the flaw. 

6) Ferrari 458's explosions 

In 2012, Ferrari recalled an entire £212-million fleets of its £170,000 Ferrari 458 supercars because of a design fault that caused it to burst into flames.

The fires were as a result of a flaw in the wheel arch fitted with a special glue that came in contact with the hot exhaust pipe which causes the lining and adhesive to heat up and ignite.

7) Ford's defective transmissions

Fords automatic transmissions, built from 1966 and 1980m were flawed and could slip from park into reverse causing more than 700 accidents, 23 deaths and 259 injuries.

Ford mailed 23 million stickers to owners to put on their dashboard reminding them to “make sure the gear selector lever is fully engaged in Park,” and to “fully engage the parking brake” before switching off the car.

8 ) Ford Explorer/Firestone Exploding tyres

In 2000,about 6.5-million Firestone tyres were recalled because the tyres could shred and ultimately blow-out. Most of the tyres were used in Ford SUVs. 271 reports of deaths and 800 injuries related to the faulty tyres were received.

9) Firestone - Rollover scandal
More than 100 people lost their lives in the scandal which saw Explorer SUV fitted with Firestone tyres prone to rollovers. Ford ended up blaming Firestone...Firestone blamed Ford.

Firestone recalled 6.5-million tyres,blaming low tyre pressure, heat and the Explorer's weight among other things. Shortly after this scandal Ford and Firestone ended their partnership. 

Source https://autojosh.com/these-are-9-of-the-worst-scandals-in-auto-industry-history/

I remember no 9 very well,with the Ford explorer suvs

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infiniti FX35 Vs Toyota 4runner For A Lagos-Enugu Trip? / Is It Safe To Clean MAF Sensor With Methylathed Spirit? / Innoson Vehicles Will Take Over Africa – IVM Chairman, Chukwuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.