Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,649 members, 7,801,891 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo (42761 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Grass Is Not Greener On The Other Side By Abdulrazaq Hamzat / Flood Ravages Imo, Orsu Obodo, Oguta. 60 Homes Submerged (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by MrGreenMavro: 5:00pm On Mar 20, 2018
ok
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by babzo(m): 5:01pm On Mar 20, 2018
I agree and disagree . While it is true that most struggle the first year or few years, it is still much better than what they left behind AND after that those first few years, stability comes in with better jobs and or education.
Its not that he cant pay for an S8 upfront, the system just allows you the convinience to spread your payments out. Moreso these days, you buy one S8 or iPhone 8 and get a free one.

9 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by nextstep(m): 5:04pm On Mar 20, 2018
The simple truth is this: yes, Nigeria is tough - hellish some would say - but there are many people here living very good lives here, actually LIVING. When I see people come home from Western countries, it's like they are not alive. They may be comfortable, but they are in the same cycle of work, tax, debt, work, tax, debt with little chance to really LIVE. They may come and do shakara during Christmas, but at the end of the day, it's money they will spend the next 1 year paying off, with interest.

There are some who manage to break the cycle, perhaps investing back home or building a house, but from my understanding it's quite a soul-less and isolating existence.

Those who go abroad usually have gathered nearly 2million Naira for ticket, visa, living expenses. Just to go and drive taxi or be a nurse? That same 2million has launched many people out of poverty in this "sh1thole". Material wealth and comfort does not mean you're LIVING... I would like to be able to visit there frequently like some people I know, but not really reside.

I just wish we would see the incredible opportunities that foreigners are coming to find here...

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by xynerise: 5:04pm On Mar 20, 2018
Damn! I have a phobia for long articles sad

Well, just looking at the title, I can tell what the story is all about..

I keep telling my friends that abroad is where I will spend the money I make in Nigeria..You can make money in Nigeria because there are so many problems to solve over here. Problem solvers are RICH people

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by resurgentxtian4: 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
I must go there and see the green grass. They always want to discourage us from coming over. The suffer wey dey there cannot be compared with naija!
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by holyfather(m): 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
Lol
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Xisnin(m): 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
Those who believe this without plans end up in crime.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by greypencils: 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
The problem is not the money you make, the problem is the tax per pay cheque and this is excluding utility bills...

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by xandy84: 5:05pm On Mar 20, 2018
Nobody is suffering in US or Uk but not as people think it's easy to get dollars. I had lived but life and i will rather be a home care aide in America than a banker in Nigeria due to job insecurity and host of other problems.

safarigirl:
They are suffering, they are suffering, but if you tell them to return home, they will act like you wished death upon them

I cannot take them seriously until they start craving to come home. Because bad as e be in the abroad, it cannot be worse than how it is here

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2018
safarigirl:
They are suffering, they are suffering, but if you tell them to return home, they will act like you wished death upon them

I cannot take them seriously until they start craving to come home. Because bad as e be in the abroad, it cannot be worse than how it is here
People who migrated legally usually don't have a problem. It's those who don't have papers that struggle.

When I first left Nigeria, I used to pay everything up front but now I know better. Why pay $800 up front when I can pay $50 a month and use the money for others things?.

7 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by nickluv90: 5:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Nigeria senators in action.

imaging

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by nickluv90: 5:07pm On Mar 20, 2018
Nigeria senators in action.

imaging

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Stallion93(m): 5:09pm On Mar 20, 2018
life is a million times better Far Europe or America with brown, blue or Black grass even. Africa is another thing, we should be expelled from the surface of the earth
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Ishilove: 5:11pm On Mar 20, 2018
zicoraads:
Ishilove, I see you are also a fan of Prof.

Is that what the bolded part in Yoruba mean?

Cos the entire article was about his advice to a Lady who felt her man was cheating on her. Read this in the morning and shared it with my friends too. Prof writes well.
The bolded is 'do you want to kill him?'
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:11pm On Mar 20, 2018
oya comot naija na
emmanuelpopson:
nobody want comeback.. but they always say its not easy..then come back and live..but nah lie oooo...obodo oyinbo is Eldorado.....
make our politician no dey talk that again say we should develop naija while there children dey largess for USA or Canada... olori gbigbe gbogbo...
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by eedreez505: 5:11pm On Mar 20, 2018
frenzyduchess:
I still prefer to go there tongue, even if the grass is brown

You can trust the grass is not always greener.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by eedreez505: 5:14pm On Mar 20, 2018
AZeD1:

People who migrated legally usually don't have a problem. It's those who don't have papers that struggle.

Even with your legal papers, it takes years to balance on your feet. And that's the point of the story, if you get it.

8 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by LordIsaac(m): 5:16pm On Mar 20, 2018
Nice post.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
sKeetz:
This are the kind of tales this abroad people tell to persuade us to remain in this shithole but tell them to relocate to Nigeria and they will cuss you out.

You'll see some of them that has lived in America for 30 years without stepping foot in Nigeria. Who are you guys deceiving?
why do you think they cannot come home for 30 yrs.is not like nigeria where you can go on leave when you like with no serious repercussions.why spend millions coming here to struggle when you can be a local champion at home.once you come here you hook permanently paying bills so you don't lose everything(house car respect family everything) you got on credit.after buying hous you it can be collected if you stop paying property tax that is almost like paying rent for life on house you bought o

8 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Veetee(m): 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
You just gotta love nairaland. you got no choice

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
eedreez505:

Even with your legal papers, it takes years to balance on your feet. And that's the point of the story, if you get it.
It took me months (less than 6).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:17pm On Mar 20, 2018
you can grow up and mayure
shogotermies:
how can I read such long story, without a single photo.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by maasoap(m): 5:18pm On Mar 20, 2018
nextstep:
The simple truth is this: yes, Nigeria is tough - hellish some would say - but there are many people here living very good lives here, actually LIVING. When I see people come home from Western countries, it's like they are not alive. They may be comfortable, but they are in the same cycle of work, tax, debt, work, tax, debt with little chance to really LIVE. They may come and do shakara during Christmas, but at the end of the day, it's money they will spend the next 1 year paying off, with interest.

There are some who manage to break the cycle, perhaps investing back home or building a house, but from my understanding it's quite a soul-less and isolating existence.

Those who go abroad usually have gathered nearly 2million Naira for ticket, visa, living expenses. Just to go and drive taxi or be a nurse? That same 2million has launched many people out of poverty in this "sh1thole". Material wealth and comfort does not mean you're LIVING... I would like to be able to visit there frequently like some people I know, but not really reside.

I just wish we would see the incredible opportunities that foreigners are coming to find here...
You might be right most especially, those that didn't further their education or acquire more skill.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 5:19pm On Mar 20, 2018
xynerise:
Damn! I have a phobia for long articles sad

Well, just looking at the title, I can tell what the story is all about..

I keep telling my friends that abroad is where I will spend the money I make in Nigeria..You can make money in Nigeria because there are so many problems to solve over here. Problem solvers are RICH people
I used to think like this before till I left Nigeria.

The difference is clearer than 7up.

For starters, no noise pollution.

10 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:20pm On Mar 20, 2018
safarigirl:
mental suffering
different from physical suffering in nigeria

I cannot take them seriously until they start craving to come home.
they crave
they just can't cos they are trapped

Because bad as e be in the abroad, it cannot be worse than how it is here
no o it is way better in some aspects
but way worse in others
no peace of mind here

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by wonlasewonimi: 5:21pm On Mar 20, 2018
If you are legal, relatively smart and know how to use the Internet, life is bliss in the Western world

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by eedreez505: 5:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
AZeD1:

It took me months (less than 6).

Wow! Good to know. Guess our have a family there already. I took nearly 2 years though.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by nemynely(m): 5:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
I smelt prof. Pius in the write up even before I saw his name at the end. Nice write up though it doesn't apply to all who plan to exit this shithole! A thoroughbred professional who is licenced to practice abroad will continue to live in affluence all his life over there whilst being able to pick up his/her bills without batting an eyelid.
Bottom line is be legit in all you do. If you migrate legally, chances that you will settle down quickly are much higher.
@ishilove - nice you acknowledged the original source.

5 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by AZeD1(m): 5:26pm On Mar 20, 2018
nextstep:

What's the cycle in Nigeria?
Work, tax, supply your own water, electricity, bad roads, poor health e.t.c?
There's no comparison between Nigeria and a developed country for someone who migrated legally.

What do you mean by "living"?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Chain Reaction Accident Hit Truck, Cars At Dolphins - Osborne Road, Ikoyi Lagos / Amaechi Travels By Train From Abuja To Kaduna International Airport (Photos) / 350ft Tall Artificial Waterfall On The Outside Of A Skyscraper In China(Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.