Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:17 PM

The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo (42665 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Grass Is Not Greener On The Other Side By Abdulrazaq Hamzat / Flood Ravages Imo, Orsu Obodo, Oguta. 60 Homes Submerged (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by InvertedHammer: 5:12am On Mar 21, 2018
safarigirl:
They are suffering, they are suffering, but if you tell them to return home, they will act like you wished death upon them

I cannot take them seriously until they start craving to come home. Because bad as e be in the abroad, it cannot be worse than how it is here

Suffering get levels. You expect someone suffering with the hope of a better tomorrow to descend to abyss (or move to hell) just to convince you. No condition is permanent. They are being hopeful.

/

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by onatisi(m): 5:20am On Mar 21, 2018
InvertedHammer:

Suffering get levels. You expect someone suffering with the hope of a better tomorrow to descend to abyss (or move to hell) just to convince you. No condition is permanent. They are being hopeful.

/
Even America or the west is even too far,tell Nigerians living in ABIDJAN,Namibia,Botswana or even Gambia to come back home and see how they will curse the person with spiritual venom. Only a blind man been fed and who is deaf and dumb will believe that the situation outside Nigeria is worse than what majority of nigerians are going through. Most of these ppl that claims abroad is tough and that they will relocate back to Nigeria always end up running back to the west just after 3-5 years and saying that they can't stand the nation yet they keep telling ppl to stay put in it.

8 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by zinaunreal(m): 5:29am On Mar 21, 2018
revontuli:

I went to the far north cause it's less shite.

??
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by RuuDie(m): 6:14am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

Uni libraries are open 24/7/365.

What's your point?

Is it uni library or hospital ward?
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Time2Smile(m): 6:31am On Mar 21, 2018
RuuDie:

Is it uni library or hospital ward?
Yes, University libraries. And you don't even need a card to enter.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Stallion93(m): 7:26am On Mar 21, 2018
nextstep:
The simple truth is this: yes, Nigeria is tough - hellish some would say - but there are many people here living very good lives here, actually LIVING. When I see people come home from Western countries, it's like they are not alive. They may be comfortable, but they are in the same cycle of work, tax, debt, work, tax, debt with little chance to really LIVE. They may come and do shakara during Christmas, but at the end of the day, it's money they will spend the next 1 year paying off, with interest.

There are some who manage to break the cycle, perhaps investing back home or building a house, but from my understanding it's quite a soul-less and isolating existence.

Those who go abroad usually have gathered nearly 2million Naira for ticket, visa, living expenses. Just to go and drive taxi or be a nurse? That same 2million has launched many people out of poverty in this "sh1thole". Material wealth and comfort does not mean you're LIVING... I would like to be able to visit there frequently like some people I know, but not really reside.

I just wish we would see the incredible opportunities that foreigners are coming to find here...
Which Kind opportunities when the system cripples everything, This terrain do nit favor hustlers i tell u, Nigerians outside here work even 2 to 3 jobs to make ends meet and they don't feel real stressed because of benefits that follows in those jobs. See no kind of suffer anywhere beats suffer here in Nigeria. What are u people talking about, have u lived abroad before sef??!

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 7:27am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

Maybe but since there is competition, there is nothing stopping you from moving to another provider at the end of your contract.

You can't really compare because it's all about the purchasing power of each currency. A rich man in Nigeria pays little or no tax, the nigerian people see tax as robbery so in their own way, are complicit in the overall decay of the country.

Tax is part of the contract, everybody pays in so that utilities which can be enjoyed by all are provided.
Education is free here (excluding uni), health care is free, drugs for children up to the age of 16 is free, housing is subsidised for those on lower income etc.. All of this comes out of tax receipts.

It may be high, but that is the price to pay to live in a society that works for everyone and not only the elite. Why would I want to be rich but surrounded by people wallowing in poverty? undecided

For how long can I continue to live in that same cycle of work tax debt with no chance of savings or investment. After tax and National Insurance plus council tax then comes rent an average 2 bedroom in London is £900 per month, then utility bills, you can’t even dream of having you know how expensive that could get with all the cost like insurance congestion charge, MOT and parking I ask again what’s left after all that ?

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Stallion93(m): 7:30am On Mar 21, 2018
onatisi:

Even America or the west is even too far,tell Nigerians living in ABIDJAN,Namibia,Botswana or even Gambia to come back home and see how they will curse the person with spiritual venom. Only a blind man been fed and who is deaf and dumb will believe that the situation outside Nigeria is worse than what majority of nigerians are going through. Most of these ppl that claims abroad is tough and that they will relocate back to Nigeria always end up running back to the west just after 3-5 years and saying that they can't stand the nation yet they keep telling ppl to stay put in it.
Leave them make dem dey talk rubbish, not sure they've actually lived abroad they just stay here in this shitty place and make conclusions when all they've seen all their life is Nigeria Zoogeria. And worst of all no good internet to watch how things are in those places online

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shaybebaby(f): 7:43am On Mar 21, 2018
Arondizuogu:

UK isn't USA naa.
True but it wouldn't really be fair to compare. The US is much larger than the UK with different states having differing provisions.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by wonlasewonimi: 7:54am On Mar 21, 2018
timesup234:
I defeated you the last time and this is another chance to finally bury you. You can all tell lies to 200million blind Nigerians but not me. Nigerians living in America always run for cover when they come across my name

If that is what your head is telling you, I concede.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shaybebaby(f): 7:54am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

For how long can I continue to live in that same cycle of work tax debt with no chance of savings or investment. After tax and National Insurance plus council tax then comes rent an average 2 bedroom in London is £900 per month, then utility bills, you can’t even dream of having you know how expensive that could get with all the cost like insurance congestion charge, MOT and parking I ask again what’s left after all that ?
1)must you live in London?
2)public transport is very good in London so why would you want to drive? The congestion charge is designed to put you off driving to reduce pollution in central London. London used to and still is fairly polluted.

3) what is causing the debt if I may ask? Because its not the country. Some people are not financially savvy but there are even free courses for that.

4)the key is to grow and make your money work for you. The minimum wage is the same throughout the country, you could live elsewhere and find work that pays at least that. Rent would be cheaper.

Or you could stay in London and get a flatmate. That way, your bills get halved instantly.

You can save, people do save here. The question you need to ask yourself is how? What are they doing different to you?

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by maestro2000(m): 8:03am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

Omg! That's discrimination. I can't believe that is the case. shocked

Issa date! Lapland next Feb! grin kiss

it's virtually everywhere. even in the US there are some county, cities that give preferences to locals and natives. in Alaska, no matter your qualification, if you're applying for a job and a native applied to the same job with no or less qualification, the probability of employing the native will probably be 80-20 ( 20 for you), the people mover ( bus) health care and educational system favors them yet, tiny bit make use of this opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 8:08am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

1)must you live in London?
2)public transport is very good in London so why would you want to drive? The congestion charge is designed to put you off driving to reduce pollution in central London. London used to and still is fairly polluted.

3) what is causing the debt if I may ask? Because its not the country. Some people are not financially savvy but there are even free courses for that.

4)the key is to grow and make your money work for you. The minimum wage is the same throughout the country, you could live elsewhere and find work that pays at least that. Rent would be cheaper.

Or you could stay in London and get a flatmate. That way, your bills get halved instantly.

You can save, people do save here. The question you need to ask yourself is how? What are they doing different to you?

All the things you mentioned are all inconvenience and not the luxury been projected back in Africa. You are more likely to get employed in London. What’s the point of working if I can’t afford a car which makes life very comfortable. An Average Nigerian won’t believe you are are living with a flat mate they would expect you have your own mansion by now.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by onatisi(m): 8:23am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

Then leave the place if the place isn't okay for you. If you can start a Uber taxi business in Nigeria ,that will be better for you. Come back to Nigeria pls
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 8:31am On Mar 21, 2018
onatisi:

Then leave the place if the place isn't okay for you. If you can start a Uber taxi business in Nigeria ,that will be better for you. Come back to Nigeria pls

I’m already in Nigeria bro, went to U.k when I was 15 now I’m 27. I have a real estate business and also own an independent cinema. U.k is not a long term plan make your money and bounce

6 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shaybebaby(f): 8:44am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

All the things you mentioned are all inconvenience and not the luxury been projected back in Africa. You are more likely to get employed in London. What’s the point of working if I can’t afford a car which makes life very comfortable. An Average Nigerian won’t believe you are are living with a flat mate they would expect you have your own mansion by now.

That would be their problem and those who look to perpetuate that impression.

It is very sad if one choose to live by taking into account people's impression of them. If your wages do not stretch to purchase a car, do not get one. You can get by using public transport, lots of people do.. Even the rich.

Why won't people get into debt when they insist on buying things they do not need, with money they do not have to impress people they do not like (stole that line from somewhere, can't remember who said it, but it's true).

I haven't been to naij in four years, not because I can't afford to but because I cannot afford the opportunity cost.

Two grand will get me there and back including spending money for two weeks, no? But I chose to spend that money on my garden which increases the value of my home.

It's all about priorities my good brother.

7 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by onatisi(m): 8:44am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

I’m already in Nigeria bro, went to U.k when I was 15 now I’m 27. I have a real estate business and also own an independent cinema. U.k is not a long term plan make your money and bounce
you are the person that can talk about uk or the west and people will listen that the place isnt the best because you left , not those who are there and yet telling people not to go there
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shaybebaby(f): 8:49am On Mar 21, 2018
maestro2000:

it's virtually everywhere. even in the US there are some county, cities that give preferences to locals and natives. in Alaska, no matter your qualification, if you're applying for a job and a native applied to the same job with no or less qualification, the probability of employing the native will probably be 80-20 ( 20 for you), the people mover ( bus) health care and educational system favors them yet, tiny bit make use of this opportunity.

I can sort of understand wanting to protect indigenous citizens against foreign workers who may undercut them (the Polish builders have shown British builders pepper on that score), if there are more workers than jobs available, employers tend to use that to depress wages so I can see how that sort of policy evolved.

But making a certain group pay more to access a public utility is discrimination.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 8:50am On Mar 21, 2018
onatisi:

you are the person that can talk about uk or the west and people will listen that the place isnt the best because you left , not those who are there and yet telling people not to go there

They would also love to but shame won’t nt let them. You know we Nigerians get bad mouth

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Martin0(m): 8:53am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

It is very sad if one choose to live by taking into account people's impression of them. If your wages do not stretch to purchase a car, do not get one. You can get by using public transport, lots of people do.. Even the rich.

Why won't people get into debt when they insist on buying things they do not need, with money they do not have to impress people they do not like (stole that line from somewhere, can't remember who said it, but it's true).

I haven't been to naij in four years, not because I can't afford to but because I cannot afford the opportunity cost.

Two grand will get me there and back including spending money for two weeks, no? But I chose to spend that money on my garden which increases the value of my home.

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 8:54am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

It’s all about priorities but nollywood needs to stop projecting what isn’t true. For me I never saw uk as a long term plan, made my money in 10 years and I left. Now I have a great range of investment portfolio.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by onatisi(m): 8:54am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

They would also love to but shame won’t nt let them. You know we Nigerians get bad mouth
i know someone who has been in uk for the past 30years , the only thing i can point to as achievement in his life is that he got married, i have been telling him to come back to nigeria even if it is for just 3 -4 months to get himself together , he has refused

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 8:57am On Mar 21, 2018
onatisi:

i know someone who has been in uk for the past 30years , the only thing i can point to as achievement in his life is that he got married, i have been telling him to come back to nigeria even if it is for just 3 -4 months to get himself together , he has refused

You too imagine the shame when people start asking what did you bring for us and he replies nah happiness oo after 30 years.

3 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shaybebaby(f): 9:29am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

It’s all about priorities but nollywood needs to stop projecting what isn’t true. For me I never saw uk as a long term plan, made my money in 10 years and I left. Now I have a great range of investment portfolio.
We know how the media can distort the truth. It's down to people to look for other sources of information and not rely on a single one.

I don't watch nollywood so I have no clue about that anyways. Like you, I don't want to live here forever but neither do I want to live in naij. It's great you took what you needed and made something from it, there isn't a single path to success. You found yours and made it work. That is worth celebrating.

But there are nigerians doing great here. Take my immediate environment (not London)

Two GPs in my surgery, nigerians. Used to be three but one left left.

The pharmacy attached to the surgery-owned by a nigerian.

When I was taken to A&E, the hot Doctor that attended to me, naija man.

The radiographer-nigerian.

A new African food store just opened in my area,(the only one by the way) - owned by a nigerian guy who works for tfl as a train driver. I know he earns about 55 grand from his day job alone without overtime. So tell me, would the lives of these nigerians not mirror the ones of success that the typical naij at home expects?

5 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by claremont(m): 9:33am On Mar 21, 2018
Haha grin

The never-ending Naija versus 'abroad' debate. Good luck guys, those of us 'abroad' will keep on suffering whilst you guys in Naija will be enjoying. grin

5 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 9:41am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

We know how the media can distort the truth. It's down to people to look for other sources of information and not rely on a single one.

I don't watch nollywood so I have no clue about that anyways. Like you, I don't want to live here forever but neither do I want to live in naij. It's great you took what you needed and made something from it, there isn't a single path to success. You found yours and made it work. That is worth celebrating.

But there are nigerians doing great here. Take my immediate environment (not London)

Two GPs in my surgery, nigerians. Used to be three but one left left.

The pharmacy attached to the surgery-owned by a nigerian.

When I was taken to A&E, the hot Doctor that attended to me, naija man.

The radiographer-nigerian.

A new African food store just opened in my area,(the only one by the way) - owned by a nigerian guy who works for tfl as a train driver. I know he earns about 55 grand from his day job alone without overtime. So tell me, would the lives of these nigerians not mirror the ones of success that the typical naij at home expects?

I guess there isn’t a single path to success, different strokes for different folks. The type of luxury am looking for is not in uk and thank God I realised that very early

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by hammed71(m): 9:56am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

I guess there isn’t a single path to success, different strokes for different folks. The type of luxury am looking for is not in uk and thank God I realised that very early
thats good
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by shaybebaby(f): 10:07am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

Neither is mine, so we are in agreement. Lol.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by wonlasewonimi: 10:23am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

The general belief is that you can't make money in the UK. How were you able to raise the capital to set up your real estate biz from UK?
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 11:04am On Mar 21, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

The general belief is that you can't make money in the UK. How were you able to raise the capital to set up your real estate biz from UK?

Never heard that before and whoever said you can’t make money in the uk must be lazy. One big advantage of uk over Nigeria is been able to get a job. Average graduate salary is £1400 after tax. Long story short I was able to save 400 pounds every month which is roughly 200k. Also what really helped was the recession in 2016 when a pound was nearly 600naira
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by revontuli(f): 11:28am On Mar 21, 2018
shaybebaby:

Well said sister!
Living to impress the others is a trap.
Warren Buffett is one of the richest men in the world and still living in the house he bought decades ago (not a mansion!)
There's no shame in living with a flatmate or living frugal.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by wonlasewonimi: 11:41am On Mar 21, 2018
ItzBIM:

Never heard that before and whoever said you can’t make money in the uk must be lazy. One big advantage of uk over Nigeria is been able to get a job. Average graduate salary is £1400 after tax. Long story short I was able to save 400 pounds every month which is roughly 200k. Also what really helped was the recession in 2016 when a pound was nearly 600naira
There's a loon called timesup234 who thinks can't raise any money if you stay in Europe or US.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Train Rams Into Car In Kubwa Abuja; Female Driver Feared Dead (pics/video) / World's Travel: 15 Most Visited Cities In The World. / For Those Who Love Canada (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.