Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:34 PM

The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo (42664 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Grass Is Not Greener On The Other Side By Abdulrazaq Hamzat / Flood Ravages Imo, Orsu Obodo, Oguta. 60 Homes Submerged (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by olujastro: 9:14am On Mar 22, 2018
ItzBIM:

It’s all about priorities but nollywood needs to stop projecting what isn’t true. For me I never saw uk as a long term plan, made my money in 10 years and I left. Now I have a great range of investment portfolio.
Bro, can we talk about investment? I'm looking to diversify my investment portfolios but I have no reasonable options for now. I'm trying to invest my way back to naija in about a year or two from now.
Holla back
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by zinaunreal(m): 10:48am On Mar 22, 2018
ItzBIM:

They would also love to but shame won’t nt let them. You know we Nigerians get bad mouth

Nigerians would murder anyone who leaves the country and come back with nothing to show for. Youre very correct. One should not even try trekking when you come back to naija or even be sighted in public transport. Even if the rich foreigners dont mind doing that in their country, its a taboo in naija ooo
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by KMBA: 1:40pm On Mar 22, 2018
Stallion93:
life is a million times better Far Europe or America with brown, blue or Black grass even. Africa is another thing, we should be expelled from the surface of the earth

Starting with you!!! You should be the first to be expelled from the surface of the earth!

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Stallion93(m): 2:24pm On Mar 22, 2018
KMBA:

Starting with you!!! You should be the first to be expelled from the surface of the earth!
People like u is the reason Africa is still backward, high grade Foolishness won't let u admit the truth
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by ItzBIM(m): 7:21pm On Mar 22, 2018
olujastro:

Bro, can we talk about investment? I'm looking to diversify my investment portfolios but I have no reasonable options for now. I'm trying to invest my way back to naija in about a year or two from now.
Holla back

You can send me a Pm
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by gentleiphy: 8:06pm On Mar 22, 2018
RuuDie:
What is truly baffling is that most of us are missing the point (message) of the original post. Also, the type of pressure which make some of the guys out there not want to return is so glaring.

First of all, only a very lucky few go abroad and within a space of 6-12 months, become very financially okay. From what I can see, the average person takes about 3-5 years and a lot of work to make it. The worst ones are those that do not have legit paperwork, they could potentially take more time and work to gain some stability in life.

The second point is the reason why many folks abroad do not want to return is that they have not yet attained the perceived level of wealth or social status that justifies their leaving naija in the first place. This is most usually a perception of the larger society, sometimes it is actually just imagined or over-exaggerated in the person's mind, but it is there and very real!

The third point I wish to make is, we that are back at home, we do not see the process - we do not see the struggle, work, pain and effort. We only see the "enjoyment" part. In the end, every individual decides for themselves if the enjoyment at the end is worth going through the process. Keep in mind, that after making this assessment, many will keep the truth at the bottom of their heart to themselves and tell a different tale outside!

how many in Nigeria that didn't take 3-5yrs to arrive where they are financially..abi na the day you started work in Nigeria you made all the money?common.some talk here sounds one kind...so you think once you arrive the US na that day you go make money...show me the country where that happens...it can even happen in western western world faster than Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 22, 2018
tosyne2much:
What I see here is that, though, life might not be easy there as claimed by those living there but I think the whole thing is exaggerated

To make money is not easy anywhere but Nigeria is worse. A country where people plot evil against one another just to meet their needs
na true u talk.
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by Nobody: 9:06pm On Mar 22, 2018
olujastro:

Holla back
bro shine ur eye o, this is cyber space.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by KMBA: 9:26pm On Mar 22, 2018
Stallion93:
People like u is the reason Africa is still backward, high grade Foolishness won't let u admit the truth

What a buffoon!!!
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by LaudableXX: 10:12pm On Mar 22, 2018
shaybebaby:
That's plain dumb when you factor in exchange rate and possible trouble with the tax man.

Dumb in what sense? undecided That I find it easier to do legit business in Nigeria with 80% to 150% returns, instead of the nominal 10% that I would get in the UK or US, doing the same type of business? As a traveller, I am entitled to BTA and PTA, so why would the tax man have a problem with me, as long as I file my annual returns properly?
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by RuuDie(m): 3:58am On Mar 23, 2018
gentleiphy:

how many in Nigeria that didn't take 3-5yrs to arrive where they are financially..abi na the day you started work in Nigeria you made all the money?common.some talk here sounds one kind...so you think once you arrive the US na that day you go make money...show me the country where that happens...it can even happen in western western world faster than Nigeria.

We are saying the same thing.

The problem is, we back in naija use different eye to 'weigh' those of them who are out there hustling. We forget to remember that it will take some time for them to become financially okay too! We just assume that straight-up, they are better than us; simply by the virtue of being there in obodo oyinbo!!

Once you hear that your friend has enter yankee or jand, you start to 'tax' him or her immediately, not minding that the person might still be a student or even un-documented alien.

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by RuuDie(m): 4:04am On Mar 23, 2018
zinaunreal:

Nigerians would murder anyone who leaves the country and come back with nothing to show for.

And this is the societal pressure we speak of. For some, it is a personal choice or preference to remain out there. But for many, many more (especially those who are not making any meaningful headway) it is the fear of this which makes 'em just stay put no matter the predicament!

2 Likes

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by imanray37(m): 4:37pm On Dec 16, 2018
Until now I never knew why my friend locked up and would never say anything after his elaborate wedding � in Abuja coming home from Texas �
Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by bigfrancis21: 5:04pm On Dec 16, 2018
RuuDie:

We are saying the same thing.

The problem is, we back in naija use different eye to 'weigh' those of them who are out there hustling. We forget to remember that it will take some time for them to become financially okay too! We just assume that straight-up, they are better than us; simply by the virtue of being there in obodo oyinbo!!

Once you hear that your friend has enter yankee or jand, you start to 'tax' him or her immediately, not minding that the person might still be a student or even un-documented alien.

Very correct.

1 Like

Re: The Grass Is Actually Green Dust In Obodo Oyibo by daxlasaint(m): 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2018
Ishilove:

Emergency Relationship Counselor- by Pius Adesanmi

You read stories like this one shared by the prof and just stare gloomily ahead

This so aptly describes the reality of life in "the abroad"

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Train Rams Into Car In Kubwa Abuja; Female Driver Feared Dead (pics/video) / World's Travel: 15 Most Visited Cities In The World. / For Those Who Love Canada (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.