Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,962 members, 7,799,274 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge (7101 Views)

Identify Engine Sludge / Of Sludge, Wrecked Lower Bearings And Other Inconveniences / Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by AutoJoshNG: 3:29am On Mar 21, 2018
Engine oil performs vital functions which aids in maintaining optimum engine performance, maximizing engine life as well as cooling the engine.

When this engine oil isn’t pure as it should be, it can bring up a problem to the car. This problem can be called Engine Sludge.

Engine sludge is in its simplest term Accumulated mass of impure carbon particles due to incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons. It is a dirty, sticky, grease-like substance formed due to oxidation/contamination of engine oil.

There are several things that can cause a car engine to be filled with sludge. Some of them are:

1. Delayed service/maintenance:
When the engine oil is used longer than prescribed by the manufacturer, it is prone to form sludge.
When service is delayed, there is a high chance that sludge will be formed. This will make the oil not to flow freely in the engine compartment.

2. Making use of inferior oil:
You’re likely to fall into this trap if you don’t make use of your car manual. It is wise to use the engine oil recommended by your car manufacturer.
German car owners should take note. They are mostly affected.

3. Bad fuel:
Bad fuel leads to carbon build up which is engine sludge formation. This gradually suffocates the engine and cause problem to the fuel system.

4. Excessive car idling:
The term idling simply refers to as the engine running but the car is stationary and not moving. A lot of people do this to warm up their car first thing in the morning. Excessive idling can reduce the accuracy of when your car is due for servicing. And when not serviced when due, sludge can start building up.

How can one know their car is affected with this sludge?

Check for oil spatters where it should not be:
Any signs of oil or engine sludge on the outside of the vehicle or engine is a sure sign that you have an engine sludge problem inside.

Check the oil pan:
Remove the oil cap from your oil pan. Check the cap and peer inside. You may need a flashlight to be able to see clearly. The contents of your oil pan should appear clean. Although the walls and parts will be covered in oil, they should still appear metallic silver underneath. Any sign of engine sludge in the oil pan is an indicator of high levels of engine sludge in your motor.

It is important you follow the service interval as recommended by the manufacturer of your car brand. To ignore or extend the engine oil service interval exposes your engine to this risk.

Sludge can cause much damage to your engine and may require the engine to be replaced.

Save yourself the stress of this by maintaining a good engine oil servicing culture.

Tell us your experience with engine sludge in the comment section.

https://autojosh.com/car-engine-sludge-explanation/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by sooperrescue(m): 4:27am On Mar 21, 2018
As a practitioner, we see sludge all the time in vehicles that are brought to us. Like you have earlier stated, all the points are valid. I havr seen Range Rovers with sludge to the extent that it has destroyed the engines. My advise is for everyone to use the oil specified by the manufacturer. I saw a baby boy honda v6 and the oil specification was 5w20 api sj. I said wao, how can this be? Meanwhile the owner was busy using the mineral oils all these years. He will need to change the engine now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:07am On Mar 21, 2018
The use of mineral oil 20w50 for 5000 miles is a major killer. angry

Why will a 2003 corrola come in from the USA @ over 150,000 miles with a clean engine, and 1year and 15,000miles later in Nigeria it is smoking and making funny engine sounds?

Engine oil type for every vehicle has a specification. Most times it is written on the engine oil cap 0w-20/5w-20/5w30/15W30/5W-40 0W-40 etc.

You will NEVER find 20w50 written on the oil cap of car older than year 2000. But every day you pour the wrong oils into your engines.

Buy the right oil specification, from a reputable brand, and keep your engine running like new.

For more info on good oil brands, peep here.

https://www.nairaland.com/3924736/back-again-mobil1-5w30-5w20

And here

https://www.nairaland.com/4397421/honda-full-synthetic-0w20-now#65823115

Also here

https://www.nairaland.com/4397474/honda-synthetic-blend-5w20-made#4397474.26

12 Likes

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by miqos02(m): 7:20am On Mar 21, 2018
Ok thanks
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by GreenArrow1(m): 7:26am On Mar 21, 2018
I'm just on my knees reading this like a bible. Make I go check my engine cap and this Forte Visco 2000 oil first.

Aha! I talk am. I'm complicit o. My 2004 Honda Civic engine cap says 5W - 20 while the oil I've been using says 20W -to 50. Could this be the reason why my engine has been leaking oil? Going to drop it off at the mech today for oil-seal replacement. Could I switch to the recommended oil without problems? Sooperrescue, GAZZUZZ et al. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by Bsideboi(m): 7:32am On Mar 21, 2018
Chemicals are being sold called "De-sludger" that is mixed with engine oil, poured into the engine and it's left to idle for about 15- 20 mins then drain.Trust me we have done this severally and even tho it takes a bit of the sludge. IT DOESN'T WORK as after the de-sludging process,we open up the valve cover and realise there is still so much sludge in the engine.

Best solution avoid sludge build up as much as you can or your engine will be overhauled.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by Nwaohafia1: 7:37am On Mar 21, 2018
You guys should always buy recommended oil.
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by hubtiva: 7:46am On Mar 21, 2018
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by eagleeye2: 7:47am On Mar 21, 2018
my question;
Can original oil filter help reduce sludge even when the oil being used is not the right specification?
Modified:
@Gazzuz
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:53am On Mar 21, 2018
GreenArrow1:
I'm just on my knees reading this like a bible. Make I go check my engine cap and this Forte Visco 2000 oil first.

Aha! I talk am. I'm complicit o. My 2004 Honda Civic engine cap says 5W - 20 while the oil I've been using says 20W -to 50. Could this be the reason why my engine has been leaking oil? Going to drop it off at the mech today for oil-seal replacement. Could I switch to the recommended oil without problems? Sooperrescue, GAZZUZZ et al. Thanks.

sadly you cannot do that until you replace piston rings and valve stem seals, they have been compromised by bad oil.

2 Likes

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by chronique(m): 7:55am On Mar 21, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Why will a 2003 corrola come in from the USA @ over 150,000 miles with a clean engine, and 1year and 15,000miles later in Nigeria it is smoking and making funny engine sounds?

Engine oil type for every vehicle has a specification. Most times it is written on the engine oil cap 0w-20/5w-20/5w30/15W30/5W-40 0W-40 etc.

You will NEVER find 20w50 written on the oil cap of car older than year 2000. But every day you pour the wrong oils into your engines.

Buy the right oil specification, from a reputable brand, and keep your engine running like new.

And here

Also here

That's the poor maintenance culture of most Nigerians. If the world had to depend on Nigerian used cars,I bet most countries would still be using bicycles a lot cos Nigerian used cars wouldn't be worth the stress due to poor maintenance culture.

2 Likes

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by farady(m): 8:00am On Mar 21, 2018
Thanks for your post. I use a 2007 Honda Pilot and I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40. Can I switch to the recommended 5w-20?
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:02am On Mar 21, 2018
farady:
Thanks for your post. I use a 2007 Honda Pilot and I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40. Can I switch to the recommended 5w-20?

yes you can. Original honda 0w20 oil is available, contact via signature.

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by GreenArrow1(m): 8:32am On Mar 21, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

sadly you cannot do that until you replace piston rings and valve stem seals, they have been compromised by bad oil.

Okay thanks boss.
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 21, 2018
people use 20w50 out of ignorance, but some use it becos of high mileage, as oil grades of 5w40, 5w20 are light and are burned quickly, one is forced to switch to slightly thicker oils to preserve engine life.

dont wait 5000 miles or 6 months before your next oil change, you will experience sludge if you do.
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by coalcoal1(m): 9:31am On Mar 21, 2018
my car engine has sludge. how do I get rid of the sludge?
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by deathwing(m): 10:06am On Mar 21, 2018
Sludge issues (ERROR OIL PRESSURE with the red light, not yellow light) is a known problem with the Passat B6 generation TSI engines (2006-2010 or so) angry angry angry angry angry. I dealt with it when i had the car. Once you have the issue, the engine is more or less condemned. Abroad, they'd just switch out the engine because once the error shows up, there's no sure way of fixing it. You can only clean it and hope.

Bad times, but by God, that was an awesome car.

When you're getting a Passat, err on the side of caution and get an FSI. The engine is like 400k or so. The TSI engine is more than 1m
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by jaxxy(m): 10:20am On Mar 21, 2018
The more reason we need electric cars
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by greggng: 10:42am On Mar 21, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

And here

Also here

Bros I do appreciate you contribution all the time. I ve a question my car is toyota camry 2000 xle v6. I saw on the engine cap SAE 5W-30. But I ve been using mobile hxp 1000 20W-50. One day I met someone on this platform who adviced me same way you are doing now. I bought the oil with my engine specification and I nearly lost my engine. At the end another mechanic flushed all that expensive oil and returned me to the mobile I am use to. The point I am making is getting the original recommended oil with 20W-50 is a difficult task. Except you gonna assure me that you can get it then give me your price I use a 5 andquater litres of oil.
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:48am On Mar 21, 2018
greggng:

Bros I do appreciate you contribution all the time. I ve a question my car is toyota camry 2000 xle v6. I saw on the engine cap SAE 5W-30. But I ve been using mobile hxp 1000 20W-50. One day I met someone on this platform who adviced me same way you are doing now. I bought the oil with my engine specification and I nearly lost my engine. At the end another mechanic flushed all that expensive oil and returned me to the mobile I am use to. The point I am making is getting the original recommended oil with 20W-50 is a difficult task. Except you gonna assure me that you can get it then give me your price I use a 5 andquater litres of oil.

Valve stem seals and piston rings have been compromised by wrong oil and sludge. Replace and you can use synthetic oil if you want to.

1 Like

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:50am On Mar 21, 2018
jaxxy:
The more reason we need electric cars

Imagine we all had electric cars,
Babatunde Fashola will resign jeje grin
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by jaxxy(m): 10:54am On Mar 21, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

Imagine we all had electric cars,
Babatunde Fashola will resign jeje grin

Hahaha true dat ooo
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by piagetskinner(m): 12:49pm On Mar 21, 2018
I've never even taken note oo..make I go check
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by HyundaiMechco: 12:56pm On Mar 21, 2018
you 're correct I have two engine am working on due to wrong oil, I alway tell people to use recommend oil .

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by HyundaiMechco: 12:59pm On Mar 21, 2018
look at this engine

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by mayor2013: 1:19pm On Mar 21, 2018
Another point to be noted is not all synthetic inscribed on all this engine oil are truly synthetic. There are 100% synthetic, semi synthetic and synthetic blend. Avoid these oil if you need a good result

Hardex oil and its likes made from Malaysia. A word is enough for the wise
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 2:10pm On Mar 21, 2018
GreenArrow1:

Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by helpishere(m): 3:07am On Mar 22, 2018
mayor2013:
Another point to be noted is not all synthetic inscribed on all this engine oil are truly synthetic. There are 100% synthetic, semi synthetic and synthetic blend. Avoid these oil if you need a good result

Hardex oil and its likes made from Malaysia. A word is enough for the wise
Dont provoke the seller o. He claims that it is the best oil. There are only two grades of synthetic. Extended performance and advanced full synthetic oil. Look for these types and be rest assured.
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by mayor2013: 6:09am On Mar 22, 2018
helpishere:

Dont provoke the seller o. He claims that it is the best oil. There are only two grades of synthetic. Extended performance and advanced full synthetic oil. Look for these types and be rest assured.

Let the seller come out to defend this. Have personally tested this oil on personal rides.and the oil was a huge disaster. I test run these bunch of useless oil.am an engineer and that's what the job is all about. Lubex should not be left out too
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by sooperrescue(m): 7:29am On Mar 22, 2018
mayor2013:

Let the seller come out to defend this. Have personally tested this oil on personal rides.and the oil was a huge disaster. I test run these bunch of useless oil.am an engineer and that's what the job is all about. Lubex should not be left out too

You are right. I have always classified these oils as ororo. A destroyer of engines. Standards Organisation is at fault here. Allowing all sorts of oils to destroy our vehicles
Re: Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge by idpompe: 7:21pm On Mar 22, 2018
Dear josh,
Thanks for all your numerous articles.Always informative.I have a toyoyota Corolla (99 model Corolla beast)that the gear oil has never been changed.I feel it is due for change.Been using it for 7 years now.please advise on how I can go about it.What oil I should use or possibly the best place to do it.Thank you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Prevent Seat Belt Entanglement On Kids / Toyota And What The Le Xe Xle And Ce Stand For / NADDC Plans To Develop Campus Shuttle Electric Vehicles In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.