Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours (9090 Views)

Air France Flight Forced To Land In Kenya After Bomb Was Found In Toilet / Over 120 Escape Death As Aero Aircraft Develops Fault Mid-air / Young Civilian Directs Traffic For Hours...(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 03, 2010
[b]For over two hours, the Boeing 737 jet hovered in the air. It could not land – no thanks to the bad weather that made landing a risky venture. Some passengers were praying; others, apparently confused, just cried like babies.

The Aero Contractors plane made seven unsuccessful attempts to land.

Among the passengers were Executive Secretary, Nigerian Education Research and Development Council (NERDC), Prof. Olu Aina and the Esama of Benin, Chief Gabriel Igbinedion.

Former Transport Minister Ebenezer Babatope was also on board. He told our reporter on telephone that he was "a living dead" while the experience lasted. The turbulence forced the passengers to shout and pray to God for safety, he said.

Said Babatope: "If not for sheer providence, the way and manner the aircraft was jerking and vibrating in the air could force any of the passengers to run to the conclusion that the worst could happen.

"My brother, it was God who saved our lives. After we took off from Abuja about 7.32 am, it was normal cruising, until 15 minutes into Lagos when the pilot told us that we would experience some turbulence. At this point, all the passengers had started exhibiting emotional mood swings.

"As the aircraft swirled in the air, we shouted, prayed and were literally shaken that the plane was going to crash. We did not hear anything from the pilot who had told us that the flight into Lagos was to take us only 50 minutes.

"As the thunderstorm got worse, we were shaken. The first time the pilot attempted to initiate landing of the aircraft, it was aborted. He tried seven times before the aircraft safely landed at the new domestic Terminal Two of the Lagos Airport.

"When we got down, my brother, I was shaken. Imagine how this country could have lost between 90 to 100 prominent people in an air crash. It could have been the worst in the history of this country.

"But, we thank God that we finally landed safely."

According to Babatope, the aircraft, was filled with passengers in the business class seats, was filled up.

He recalled that for the hours the aircraft remained in the air, there was tension among the passengers.

Aero spokesperson Simon Tumba attributed the development to inclement weather.

During the flight, all aircraft within the Lagos airspace were advised to be on hold, pending the clearing of the inclement weather.

He said: "When the aircraft was hovering for the weather to clear off for landing, all aircraft flying into Lagos and those aircraft billed to take off were advised to be on hold, pending when the situation will be clear."

Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) spokesman Sam Adurogboye said the agency had not received a mandatory occurrence report.[/b]

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/45169/1/Passengers-weep-as-plane-struggles-to-land-for-hours/Page1.html#postedcomment
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 03, 2010
He said: "When the aircraft was hovering for the weather to clear off for landing, all aircraft flying into Lagos and those aircraft billed to take off were advised to be on hold, pending when the situation will be clear."

No wonder. I was also trapped in Kaduna yesterday because of this directive. We were already on-board by 8.15am when the announcement was made that the weather in Lagos was inclement and we had to wait. We waited in the aircraft for about two hours, but it later turned out to be a blessing in disguise. After receiving clearance from Lagos that we were good to go, it was then that Chanchangi discovered that our plane had technical issue, and we were asked to disembark, and went back to the waiting area.  We waited for another two hours before eventually taking-off by 12 noon, an 8 am flight for that matter. Anyway, while all these brouhaha were going on, one of the things that were going on in my mind was how the thread will look like on NL if the worst happened(like 'Plane Crash in Kaduna: Nairalnder Jarus survives grin). The flight turned out to be smooth though, unlike Babatope and Co's.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by labiyemmy(m): 6:15pm On May 03, 2010
It is okay to stay in the air due to bad weather and poor visibility than to attempt a forced and risky touch down.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by suxes2005(m): 7:09pm On May 03, 2010
Thanks to God,

More thanks that our own JARUS traveled safely

HALLELUYAH!

SHALOM
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by zulutravel: 7:47pm On May 03, 2010
we thank God the worse didnt happen,thanks to the aero pilots and crew members on board for their calm and experience while in the air.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by kamalcole(m): 10:25am On May 04, 2010
As much as i thank God for averted accident.if we loose 100 or more prominent thieves to a plane crash,the better for nigeria.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 11:53am On May 04, 2010
kamalcole:

As much as i thank God for averted accident.if we loose 100 or more prominent thieves to a plane crash,the better for nigeria.
Me too I be thief?
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by OAM4J: 6:19am On May 05, 2010
kamalcole:

As much as  i thank God for averted accident.if we loose 100 or more prominent thieves to a plane crash,the better for nigeria.

lol. bad man  grin grin grin

Jarus:

Me too I be thief?

before nko? sebi you dey collect from those thieves, i beg you and them be same  grin grin grin

anyway, thank God for your life.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by texazzpete(m): 4:16pm On May 05, 2010
This Babatope guy sounds like a total douchebag. why is he carping on about 'Prominent Nigerians' and reminding us that the Business class section was filled? All lives are equal - in fact we'd much rather be rid of ancient rogues like him and Igbinedion.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Kx: 4:27pm On May 05, 2010
texazzpete:

This Babatope guy sounds like a total douchebag. why is he carping on about 'Prominent Nigerians' and reminding us that the Business class section was filled?

Good point.
He valued status more than live.
Prominent nigerians my foot.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by hexcraft(m): 4:28pm On May 05, 2010
As much as  i thank God for averted accident.if we loose 100 or more prominent thieves to a plane crash,the better for nigeria.

These crook should have been reduced to move this country forward. Prominent in-deed. Do you know how many people that loose their life on Benin-Lagos road regularly due to bad road?.

Una for die , make we mourn una. prominent indeed.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by OvieE: 4:33pm On May 05, 2010
hexcraft:

These crook should have been reduced to move this country forward. Prominent in-deed. Do you know how many people that loose their life on Benin-Lagos road regularly due to bad road?.

Una for die , make we mourn una. prominent indeed.

Tell them
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by DoubleN(m): 4:44pm On May 05, 2010
Jarus:

[b]For over two hours, the Boeing 737 jet hovered in the air. It could not land – no thanks to the bad weather that made landing a risky venture. Some passengers were praying; others, apparently confused, just cried like babies.

The Aero Contractors plane made seven unsuccessful attempts to land.

Among the passengers were Executive Secretary, Nigerian Education Research and Development Council (NERDC), Prof. Olu Aina and the Esama of Benin, Chief Gabriel Igbinedion.

Former Transport Minister Ebenezer Babatope was also on board. He told our reporter on telephone that he was "a living dead" while the experience lasted. The turbulence forced the passengers to shout and pray to God for safety, he said.

Said Babatope: "If not for sheer providence, the way and manner the aircraft was jerking and vibrating in the air could force any of the passengers to run to the conclusion that the worst could happen.

"My brother, it was God who saved our lives. After we took off from Abuja about 7.32 am, it was normal cruising, until 15 minutes into Lagos when the pilot told us that we would experience some turbulence. At this point, all the passengers had started exhibiting emotional mood swings.

"As the aircraft swirled in the air, we shouted, prayed and were literally shaken that the plane was going to crash. We did not hear anything from the pilot who had told us that the flight into Lagos was to take us only 50 minutes.

"As the thunderstorm got worse, we were shaken. The first time the pilot attempted to initiate landing of the aircraft, it was aborted. He tried seven times before the aircraft safely landed at the new domestic Terminal Two of the Lagos Airport.

"When we got down, my brother, I was shaken. Imagine how this country could have lost between 90 to 100 prominent people in an air crash. It could have been the worst in the history of this country.

"But, we thank God that we finally landed safely."

According to Babatope, the aircraft, was filled with passengers in the business class seats, was filled up.

He recalled that for the hours the aircraft remained in the air, there was tension among the passengers.

Aero spokesperson Simon Tumba attributed the development to inclement weather.

During the flight, all aircraft within the Lagos airspace were advised to be on hold, pending the clearing of the inclement weather.

Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) spokesman Sam Adurogboye said the agency had not received a mandatory occurrence report.[/b]

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/45169/1/Passengers-weep-as-plane-struggles-to-land-for-hours/Page1.html#postedcomment

[/quote
The man is a bloody Scallawag!!So the one that killed almost on the High Ranking Army chiefs was what? A roller-coaster ride? The way all this our ex serving thieves talks at times just pisses me off!
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Spyker: 4:47pm On May 05, 2010
I have experience this twice, one was from Abuja to Phc and the other was from Phc to Lagos.
All i could do was to pray. (I said many decades of the rosary that i lost count until we finally landed). I stayed away from flights for like six weeks. All in all, na God ooh, no be pilot skill or training. Na God.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by halfcurren: 5:14pm On May 05, 2010
My Questions is

“if the weather in Lagos was bad, therefore making it difficult for the plane to land, could it not be better to simply go back to Abuja, or even to the nearest safest airport to land rather than risking the lives of about 100 passengers. I am just struggling to understand why a pilot would make seven unsuccessful attempt; spend two hours hovering under “bad weather” condition, and yet insist in landing in same airport – would that not be a decision error on the part of the pilot?.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by GeeCee(m): 5:20pm On May 05, 2010
The stupid Babatope culd only think of prominence. Maybe he think we wuld have missed him if he died. Somebody shuld tell him we wil not. Infact, i wil not observe a minute silence for him; let him go to h**l, who kias.

Jarus, thank God u are save. But u need to arrange a thanksgiving service or beta stil send d money & i wil take kia of d rest 4 u. lol
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by lexzybaba(m): 5:34pm On May 05, 2010
i was planning on taking aero back to nigeria from school(ACCRA GHANA)
because of this there promo
but this one dey make i fear ooooo
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by rickie4us(m): 5:35pm On May 05, 2010
halfcurren:

My Questions is

“if the weather in Lagos was bad, therefore making it difficult for the plane to land, could it not be better to simply go back to Abuja, or even to the nearest safest airport to land rather than risking the life of about 100 passengers. I am just struggling to understand why a pilot would make seven unsuccessful attempt; spend two hours hovering under “bad weather” condition, and yet insist in landing in same airport – would that not be a decision error on the part of the pilot?.

me too, I have been wondering o
I think it was this same thing about landing the aircraft by all means that killed the polish president and his people
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by kenosky: 5:45pm On May 05, 2010
[size=14pt]WTF doz dt Babatope guy mean by prominent Nigerians? He must be out of his silly little mind if he's deluded that any1 would shed a tear cos of his demise. Na the decent Nigerians on board the flight i dey even thank God for, not the crooks aboard with them! BOLLOCKS[/size]
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 05, 2010
Jarus:

"When we got down, my brother, I was shaken. [size=14pt]Imagine how this country could have lost between 90 to 100 prominent people in an air crash.[/size] It could have been the worst in the history of this country.

Babatope, this country could do with the loss of 300 "prominent" people who are really thieves and the reason the country is presently in the mire. We wont miss you and your lives are no more important to us than those who die on death traps called roads that you failed to fix.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by abhosts(m): 5:58pm On May 05, 2010
Thank God it all ended well. I hope this news does not increase the anxiety level of regular fliers.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Akosbaba(m): 6:09pm On May 05, 2010
Glory be 2 God
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by alexleo(m): 6:22pm On May 05, 2010
davidylan:

Babatope, this country could do with the loss of 300 "prominent" people who are really thieves and the reason the country is presently in the mire. We wont miss you and your lives are no more important to us than those who die on death traps called roads that you failed to fix.

Thats a wrong judgement. so anybody that enters a flight is a thief?No No. I prefer flying because of the dangers in our roads and the stress, does that make me a thief when am using my God-given money for that? Pls lets be reasonable here. It doesnt matter how you people wish your fellow human beings death, they will only die at God's own time. You can only pray for the salvation of their souls from sin. That is if you are saved from sin too.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by ajiifixing(m): 6:22pm On May 05, 2010
Babatope,modern day Mumu,Babatope , see Mugu.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 6:37pm On May 05, 2010
Thanks God. May God protect us in the air.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Akosbaba(m): 6:47pm On May 05, 2010
Glory be 2 God
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by snowdrops(m): 7:00pm On May 05, 2010
So in the aircraft were all these "big men" including the Esama of Benin Chief Gabriel Igbinedion. All these guys i am sure would have been scared stiff of dying. Imagine leaving all their enormous wealth behind.
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 05, 2010
halfcurren:

My Questions is

“if the weather in Lagos was bad, therefore making it difficult for the plane to land, could it not be better to simply go back to Abuja, or even to the nearest safest airport to land rather than risking the life of about 100 passengers. I am just struggling to understand why a pilot would make seven unsuccessful attempt; spend two hours hovering under “bad weather” condition, and yet insist in landing in same airport – would that not be a decision error on the part of the pilot?.
i think it is not as serious as they want us to believe, they are just seeking for unnecessary publicity, 4 if the case is serious, nobody will hv to advice the pilot to go back to Abuja when there is still time to do so undecided
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 05, 2010
So has the plane landed?
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by meg2: 7:46pm On May 05, 2010
We Thank God for His Mercies, Allah be praised, Jehova daalu!!
Plz Every Nigerian is prominent and no single Life is Worth Loosing, so next time let`s not make waves about any single individual.
We all are precious citizen`s of the Federal Republic of Nigeria .
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Borat1: 7:52pm On May 05, 2010
When i read baba-ole's 'Prominent Nigerians' comment, i stopped reading. I.dio.T!
Why didnt he have a massive heart attack and die
Re: Passengers Weep As Aero Aircraft Struggle To Land For Hours by Nobody: 9:00pm On May 05, 2010
meeeehn! Ireally thank God that that aircraft didnt crash oo! HMM! i am in mh 400 levels right now doing research on the nigerian aviation industry and guess what, i dont think i would fly after the research cuz what ive discovered ranging from lackadaisical attitude of staff to out dtated equipments all endanger lives. and guys plz what should i do? my mumsy has just bookd a flight for my jnr broda from LOS-BEN, on the same AERO!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Canal Being Blocked In Agungi, Lekki. / How Easy is it for a Person with Eu residence to a get a Uk Visa / A Case For Thailand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.