Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

Giving Birth To A Story By Jon Doe - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Giving Birth To A Story By Jon Doe (440 Views)

HIDDEN DARKNESS By Jon Doe / BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Giving Birth To A Story By Jon Doe by just2day: 3:19pm On Mar 21, 2018
We all have a story to tell

Let me start by saying I am far from an expert but then maybe the little I've learnt might help someone.

These are not suggestions that should be followed to the letter. They are merely things to think about

SHOW DON'T TELL

Seems pretty obvious. Still I find myself self inflicting more often than I'd care to admit

Omo got very angry when she saw her boyfriend kissing her best friend Kemi.

Omo's hands clenched into a fist, nails biting savagely into her soft palms when she saw her boyfriend kissing her best friend Kemi

As much as he tried Dele could not hide his disappointment when it was announced Ore would be promoted instead of him.

Dele's shoulders sagged as he forced an unconvincing smile on his lips when it was announced Ore would be promoted instead of him

Aliyu was afraid when the armed robbers entered his air conditioned office.

Sweat dripped from Aliyu's forehead, his hands visibly shaking when the armed robbers entered his air conditioned office.

Much like IRL (In Real Life), someone doesn't always have to say their emotion before we realize it. When a friend is happy we can usually tell without them having to say 'I am happy'. The smile on their face, energy in their steps, enthusiasm in their speech, brightness of their countenance.

Same with anger. When a friend is angry with you, they rarely need to say it. Furrowing of the brow, hardness of their speech, distancing of their body, tense nature of their bearing...

So too in a story. Sometimes you might want to show anger through actions rather than say someone is angry.

Jide was furious with Seun after she hung up

After she hung up Jide grabbed the picture frame of him and Seun and ruthlessly smashed it against the wall.

All said, sometimes writing the emotion is enough so you don't bog down the story. Balance is the goal.

Well that is it, happy birthing

twitter - @just2days

email - just2day@yahoo.com

If anyone found this useful and cares for more of such or have ideas of your own to share...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Poem: My Rage By Loreli Brown : Daily Memoirs / Chinua Achebe Deserved The Nobel Prize Of 1986 Than Wole Soyinka / Rant 0153

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.