Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,632 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. (3786 Views)

Sinotruk Hohan、howo、hangzhou Forklift And Spare Parts' Sales / Sinotruk Hohan、howo、hangzhou Forklift And Spare Parts' Sales / SINOTRUK Hohan Truck And Spare Parts' Sales (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by luvinhubby(m): 8:26pm On Mar 23, 2018
These are the basic rules that govern the sales of auto parts in our Nigerian markets.

1, Electrical parts, like fuel pumps & ignition coils, once it has worked after being sold, even if it was for one day, is not returnable.

2, Tokunbo (Fairly used) engines and transmissions are given between 1 - 2 weeks guarantee, maximum, to make sure they are working. After that, you are on your own.

3, Steering components like pumps and racks, which are often sold toks, are given 2 weeks guarantee after sale.

4, Fluids, be it engine, gear, steering or brake are sold without the option of return or refund. So before you order for those fluids, make sure you need them.

5, Engines are sold as either skeleton(half & top, bo ra le) or as complete, with the accessories like steering pump, throttle body & alternator. Do not go and pay for skeleton engine and query why there is no steering pump and adjuster there.

6, Always demand for a receipt with a guarantee written on it if need be on purchased item or else you are on your own if you have need to return it.

7, If you are looking for cheap spare parts and settle for China cloned, you must know that there is no guarantee for China parts, If it works, you thank your God, if not, you will buy another one.

8, Before you buy brand new parts like steering pumps or fuel pumps, make sure it is the faulty item in your vehicle as once they have been used, even if for 10 mins, cannot be returned. 'No be am dey worry my motor does not apply'.

These applies to all motor spare parts globally, especially in our Nigerian markets, e.g Ladipo, Apo, Ikeokwu, Mgbuka-Obosi and Oyingbo.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by micklplus(m): 8:37pm On Mar 23, 2018
Fair enough.

Transparency and thorough negotiations would make things even easier for buyer and the seller.

3 Likes

Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:27am On Mar 24, 2018
grin grin. Fuel pump problem is the worse thing that can happen to any car owner. *modified

Op is right. Even in the USA the warranty policies are the same for junkyard parts

http://www.junkyardjungle.com/returnpolicy.cfm?pid=3

http://www.libertyautoparts.com/inventory/warranty.html

1 Like

Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by adanny01(m): 10:51am On Jun 23, 2018
I have learnt to always ask my mechanic to try cheaper options before buying a part.

Mechanics will always be quick to tell you replace this or that when the problem may one quick fix.

After changing brake master cylinder on my mums car, one front wheel stopped supplying hydraulic on the ABS pump. Several mechanics tried to unblock the line with no success. The whole ABS module was 35k and i couldn't afford it then. An ABS bypass was suggested but i rejected the idea since the car will have permanent ABS light while the car had permanent Airbag and TPMS lights in trying to resolve. It would turn Christmas so i didnt like the idea. I managed the car for about a month hoping to buy the ABS module. One day, going into the car in a rush i opened the door and stepped on the brake pedal while trying to sit. The pedal went flat and i knew that port opened. Over half a year, the failed line has been working perfectly.

Most times, its preferable to ask the mechanic to buy the part so that if the problem persists, he knows how to settle with his dealer. In that case, you demand guarantee from the mechanic especially if his diagnosis is wrong.

Just recently, i knew my stabilizer linkage was bad, took it to the mechanic who bought new ones for me to install. Luckily, it was one of the bolts that came out and the linkage was hanging freely. He was able to get my refund.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by weyreypey: 10:55am On Jun 23, 2018
sad
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by sonety2k(m): 4:12am On Jun 24, 2018
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by luvinhubby(m): 10:53pm On Jul 30, 2018
adanny01:
I have learnt to always ask my mechanic to try cheaper options before buying a part.

Mechanics will always be quick to tell you replace this or that when the problem may one quick fix.

After changing brake master cylinder on my mums car, one front wheel stopped supplying hydraulic on the ABS pump. Several mechanics tried to unblock the line with no success. The whole ABS module was 35k and i couldn't afford it then. An ABS bypass was suggested but i rejected the idea since the car will have permanent ABS light while the car had permanent Airbag and TPMS lights in trying to resolve. It would turn Christmas so i didnt like the idea. I managed the car for about a month hoping to buy the ABS module. One day, going into the car in a rush i opened the door and stepped on the brake pedal while trying to sit. The pedal went flat and i knew that port opened. Over half a year, the failed line has been working perfectly.

Most times, its preferable to ask the mechanic to buy the part so that if the problem persists, he knows how to settle with his dealer. In that case, you demand guarantee from the mechanic especially if his diagnosis is wrong.

Just recently, i knew my stabilizer linkage was bad, took it to the mechanic who bought new ones for me to install. Luckily, it was one of the bolts that came out and the linkage was hanging freely. He was able to get my refund.

Often times they have suppliers who supply these parts on credit and get paid later.

It was returned and refunded because the money was still with your mechanic.
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by radautoworks: 2:56am On Jul 31, 2018
A little self-promotion here, most of these don't apply to us wink

Maybe they will when Nigerians start showing us fire lol

It's a great post though because people really don't know.

1 Like

Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:58am On Jul 31, 2018
radautoworks:
A little self-promotion here, most of these don't apply to us wink

Maybe they will when Nigerians start showing us fire lol

It's a great post though because people really don't know.
Most parts sold in Nigeria are salvaged parts. If you check some junkyards in the USA. Returns have the same terms and conditions the op posted.
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by radautoworks: 2:33pm On Jul 31, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

Most parts sold in Nigeria are salvaged parts. If you check some junkyards in the USA. Returns have the same terms and conditions the op posted.
umm.. yes, that's the great post people really don't know part...
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by checky619: 7:56pm On Sep 27, 2021
Do you have 2008 v6 Honda Accord ECT
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by radautoworks: 6:11pm On Sep 29, 2021
Or you could just throw all that out the window and always have a warranty with us grin
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by luvinhubby(m): 9:07am On Sep 30, 2021
radautoworks:
Or you could just throw all that out the window and always have a warranty with us grin

Where have you been?
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by YoungDreamer: 3:36pm On Sep 30, 2021
Do you sell and replace hyundai spare parts.
radautoworks:
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by radautoworks: 6:10pm On Sep 30, 2021
YoungDreamer:
Do you sell and replace hyundai spare parts.
yes we do
Re: Rules That Govern Auto Parts Sales. by radautoworks: 6:11pm On Sep 30, 2021
luvinhubby:

Where have you been?
discovered there was better use of my time smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Show Room Addresses Of Innoson Automobile In Nigeria / Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? / Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.