Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram (384 Views)

FG Moves To End DSTV's Monopoly, Says Multichoice Is Cheating Nigerians / Buhari: I Have Kept My Promise To End Boko Haram / Govt Will Procure Modern Fighting Equipment To End Boko Haram Madness – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram by Devgist: 8:50pm On Mar 24, 2018
The insurgency in the North East has festered for many years now. Many like me are confident in the ability of the Nigeria Military to exterminate it but are pondering on why the crisis is continuing and daily taking new dimensions.
That Boko Haram has capabilities to cause the Federal Government of Nigeria to negotiate with it is a twist that goes to say how the entire citizenry may have become psychologically defeated. This perhaps explain the reason why we see helpless citizens waiving at a motorcade of the insurgents as they drive in and out of Dapchi town unchallenged.
Was it possible for the Federal Government to negotiate with them while keeping to itself a surprise defeating strategy that could have led to arrest of some insurgents? No, because, aware of it's helessnes, the goverment had got to keep the terms and not to risk another kidnap or even a more devastating attack​. It is reported that the insurgents came abducting the Dapchi girls unchallenged and they came delivering them unchallenged, so the only protection the citizens have is the good will of Boko Haram. Worse is to learn that they did not hurry to leave the town but stayed back to preach to the crowd for over 20 minutes before leaving. Could an ambush have worked? That they went so free shows clearly that Bolo Haram could even have dictated the terms.
Few days ago, I was traveling with my team along the stretch from Gusau to Talata Mafara in Zamfara State, we encountered an old military van mounted with a machine gun with some armed persons dressed in military uniforms.. Unconsciously, I found myself speaking out, wondering how we will know if the people in the van are not Boko Haram. The Driver​who is a native from Zamfara State spontaneously responded, "but we, we know they are soldiers, they are not Boko Haram" I turned to him in surprise and asked, how do you know? Sounding so confident, he told me, "Boko Haram will not use this kind of old motor, their own motor will be new and sharp sharp". When I heard this, I fell back to the seat in disbelief of how laughable goverment response to Boko Haram can be characterized. If this characterization can be generalised, can we say the goverment is ready to end the insurgency when the military cannot be properly tooled?
If the issue of equipping the military is not addressed, no one should wonder why the only weapon in the fight​ against Boko Haram is negotiation and settlement.
Re: Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram by psucc(m): 9:53pm On Mar 24, 2018
No! The reverse holds. Boko Haram is committed to END Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram by Man2utd(m): 11:33pm On Mar 24, 2018
The fact is that the people in government don't care about anything, as long as it doean't threaten their dominance.
Re: Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram by EricBloodAxe: 12:42am On Mar 25, 2018
When the north is ready, they will end the bokoharam they sponsored and created. Until then bokoharam can keep kidnapping and terrorizing the entire north. I don't give a f*ck.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram by sambos994(m): 12:58am On Mar 25, 2018
The answer is no

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram by freeze001(f): 4:44am On Mar 25, 2018
Not at all. They are only waiting for them to 'repent' so that they can grant 'amnesty'. Those they kill and main everyday deserve no justice and reprieve, as d president indicates.
Re: Is Nigeria Committed To End Boko Haram by davidif: 11:26am On Nov 15, 2018
Devgist:
The insurgency in the North East has festered for many years now. Many like me are confident in the ability of the Nigeria Military to exterminate it but are pondering on why the crisis is continuing and daily taking new dimensions.
That Boko Haram has capabilities to cause the Federal Government of Nigeria to negotiate with it is a twist that goes to say how the entire citizenry may have become psychologically defeated. This perhaps explain the reason why we see helpless citizens waiving at a motorcade of the insurgents as they drive in and out of Dapchi town unchallenged.
Was it possible for the Federal Government to negotiate with them while keeping to itself a surprise defeating strategy that could have led to arrest of some insurgents? No, because, aware of it's helessnes, the goverment had got to keep the terms and not to risk another kidnap or even a more devastating attack​. It is reported that the insurgents came abducting the Dapchi girls unchallenged and they came delivering them unchallenged, so the only protection the citizens have is the good will of Boko Haram. Worse is to learn that they did not hurry to leave the town but stayed back to preach to the crowd for over 20 minutes before leaving. Could an ambush have worked? That they went so free shows clearly that Bolo Haram could even have dictated the terms.
Few days ago, I was traveling with my team along the stretch from Gusau to Talata Mafara in Zamfara State, we encountered an old military van mounted with a machine gun with some armed persons dressed in military uniforms.. Unconsciously, I found myself speaking out, wondering how we will know if the people in the van are not Boko Haram. The Driver​who is a native from Zamfara State spontaneously responded, "but we, we know they are soldiers, they are not Boko Haram" I turned to him in surprise and asked, how do you know? Sounding so confident, he told me, "Boko Haram will not use this kind of old motor, their own motor will be new and sharp sharp". When I heard this, I fell back to the seat in disbelief of how laughable goverment response to Boko Haram can be characterized. If this characterization can be generalised, can we say the goverment is ready to end the insurgency when the military cannot be properly tooled?
If the issue of equipping the military is not addressed, no one should wonder why the only weapon in the fight​ against Boko Haram is negotiation and settlement.

The way to winning the battle with Boko Harem is to take a heart's and minds approach not the use of brute force. That's how you win against a guerrilla insurgency like this where it's difficult to tell the agitators from the average man. You win the heart's and minds of the people and gain their trust. Show them that you are on their side instead of lumping all of them together with the enemy combatants.

Why do you think there are so many unnecessary detainees held by the Nigerian army? That's what happens when you treat witnesses or victims as suspects and lock them up or even kill them.

It is through this method you will be able to gain valuable intelligence on the ground from the local populace. That's how you win the war against terror and not just going about and rounding up people who look 'suspucious' like the Nigerian police and holding them indefinitely. You don't kill a fly with a sledgehammer.

(1) (Reply)

Senator Dino Melaye Accuses Police Of Plot To Kill Him / 2019: Atiku Officially Declares To Run For Presidency / Another NASS Member Dies, Hon. Jibril Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.