Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,440 members, 7,808,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation (677 Views)

Why Is Logging Into Nairaland Slow These Days / Observation: npower Pre Selected Candidate / My Observation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by Dirkcoyt: 9:13pm On Mar 24, 2018
Tribalism, a cancer that will destroy us faster than atomic bomb ( atleast we no get nuclear weapon for Africa).

If you've been an avid reader of Nairaland from its inception you will notice 2014 usher in tribalism to once great platform of ours where credible information, and deep analytical interpretation are given.

It didn't just show up in the face one day, it started on a crescendo till it finally hit ne-plus-ultra. nairaland circa 2005-2013 have huge diaspora concentration but not anymore, what we have of the Diasporas are very few. large number of them have deleted account or their last time is 2013

This set of people brought along their wide exposure and experience to this platform and we at home all exchange knowledge. Why did they leave? This people started leaving when the level of content on this platform started plummeting till it hit the nadir of content.

We no longer have credible topics to discuss but gossips. And no human of intellectual substance will appreciate gossips (. Save for news of the nation, content has been very abysmal, most of the content is around women this women that). The purpose of forum is to share information and debate. Since people can no longer do this they started leaving. Then we ushered new
set of nairalanders who find the mediocre appealing then we gradually moved from forum to blogging.

With a lot of kids around, when there is no gossip around they switch to throwing tantrums on political - business topics since they have no grasp of the topic being discussed, in a bid to contribute they started throwing all sort of nonsense, started finding intertribal competition appealing, slowly this snowballed into tribalism which we have neck deep into now. It started as a competition, in every competition some will win or lose. Small minded people who couldn't stomach it turned it to tribal hate. That is how we have our tribalism!

The general election didn't give birth to tribalism on Nairaland, it only came to nurture it into monster we now battling with . Did I say battle? We are not battling it .we are sympathetic to it.

Even detribalized people have become tribalized.
If you notice, you will need to check the 2nd page before you start seeing meaningful discourse. The first page, everyone is trying to outdo each other.

The admin should save the website because if this continues I'm afraid where the future lies. We know what Facebook lost just for the Cambridge analytica. MySpace is a shadow. No Company is too big to fall if they forget the essence of its creation or neglect the yearnings of its users

The management can still make money without turning the website to a dumping ground for bloggers with sworn affidavit that backup their lies.

Don't let us lie to ourselves large percent of nairalanders no longer come because of the rich content again but to read comments which they find as stress pills

I graduated with third class in school and many people still can't fathom how I scored so low yet very abreast of things. the secret was Nairaland not is Nairaland. I tell people I've learnt more on this forum than the four walls of a school. I've been financed from a total stranger on this platform likewise a lot of people have secured jobs.

Save it before they make it history. Thank you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by BankeSmalls(f): 9:18pm On Mar 24, 2018
The only thing I see as dangerous, is the curse of the single story.

For the love of Mike, the Lagos-Ibadan propaganda machine has been feeding this nation a litany of lies padded to make their region appear better since 1955. This they do by bringing other regions down and hyping anything from their side as the best, even when we all know they are lying.

What you see here, is not tribalistic tendencies, but an attempt by other tribes to balance the story, to burst the myths and tell the truth as it happened back then.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by Abjay97(m): 9:21pm On Mar 24, 2018
Tribalism in Nairaland is rampant... I suggest some words in Nairaland should be censored and defaulters banned

1 Like

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by Nobody: 9:32pm On Mar 24, 2018
Quick question though
Are you in anyway related to Patrick Obahiagbon?

Anyways, what actually is the bone of contention here (since we're all speaking vocabs here), the tribalism aspect or the fact that nairaland is next to a dumping ground?
Either ways, I feel it's due to lack of competition.

PS: if you're looking for intellectual discourse, try out quora, there's no need for kasala. Afterall, we are all using our data ni
Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by booblacain(m): 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2018
Nairaland started to decline when some people started comparing Seun to Linda Ikeji and advising him to be like her. He forgot that Nairaland functions on a different conceptual space.

The truth is Nigerians do not appreciate and know how to maintain value. We build and then we scatter with the same hands.

If the value of this forum had been maintained, tribalism would at least have been contained.

Seun did not help matter. He intentionally encouraged it in a lot of ways. I guess the engagements were making him richer. I hope he is now as rich as Linda.

2 Likes

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by ekesimo(m): 9:37pm On Mar 24, 2018
The thing tire me sef. The Admins are only interested in the traffic generated.

2 Likes

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by Nobody: 9:41pm On Mar 24, 2018
Very nice n articulate observation, tribalism has eaten deep into NL that u can never see a detribalized thread on a single day! Even threads that doesn't deal with tribalism is always filled with tribal sentiments n bigotry.

I nearly deactivated my account when I encountered one stupid tribalism thread, it's just a pity that most people don't know that foreigners may see their childish acts n think Nigeria is really filled with animals, hence; NLders call it zoo.

I just hope seun n his people will find a potent remedy To d menace before tribalism cripple it n they should limit their focus on traffic generation too.

3 Likes

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by neezar: 9:44pm On Mar 24, 2018
Lol...So many threads have been created concerning this issue

Buhari was the chief orchestrator of this nonsense

2 Likes

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by flokii: 10:12pm On Mar 24, 2018
What do you expect when some people bodly refer to other people's lands as no man's land while theirs can't be shared with others..

The real truth is that tribalism lives in everyone, just that some are able to conceal it more than others.

If I for one decide to make a statement about Igbos for example, you'll see it as tribalistic cos I would be talking from a different perspective to yours.

If you want Nairaland to be free from tribalism, call your folks to order. Let them mind their region and also hold their leaders accountable.
They should think home and endeavor to go back home too.

1 Like

Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by babyfaceafrica: 4:33am On Mar 25, 2018
Hmmm
Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by Truthcat: 4:44am On Mar 25, 2018
@Op, you are wrong. Tribalism was earlier than that. I registered when I could no longer watch my tribe maligned, and that was earlier than 2010.

Nigerians are hardwired to nonsense, nairaland is just a mini Nigeria full of mediocre people.
Re: How Tribalim Creep Into Nairaland ~ Dirkcoyt Observation by GenbIoodykiller: 4:47am On Mar 25, 2018
[s]
flokii:
What do you expect when some people bodly refer to other people's lands as no man's land while theirs can't be shared with others..

The real truth is that tribalism lives in everyone, just that some are able to conceal it more than others.

If I for one decide to make a statement about Igbos for example, you'll see it as tribalistic cos I would be talking from a different perspective to yours.

If you want Nairaland to be free from tribalism, call your folks to order. Let them mind their region and also hold their leaders accountable.
They should think home and endeavor to go back home too.
[/s]
yoruba Muslims sef

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Phone Accessory: Lazy Phone Holder For Sale / Side Effetcs Of Tiger Nuts / NASA Makes Major Finding On Mars!! To Announce It Soon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.