Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,733 members, 7,802,216 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South (1042 Views)

Cattle Destroy 35,000 Hectares Of Rice Farm In Enugu – Officials / Meet The Igbo Man Who Is A Cattle Rearer And See How He Does It / Bull Fattening And Cattle Breeding @ As-sobur Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by KayCee92(m): 11:46pm On Mar 25, 2018
Goodevening to you all, hope u had a good day. Please am seeking advice from experts in this line of agribusiness or any1 with knowledge about this subject. I have this great and innovative idea on how to establish a cattle farm and it generates money on a monthly basis using this unique model. My question is this: can this type of business thrive in the South South. That is, does the weather and climatic conditions of the place support this type of farming. Please your advice and observations are highly highly welcomed.thanks
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Alayiwola: 2:13am On Mar 26, 2018
Yes,go for it.cattle can be rear almost everywhere,provided you have feeds for them .
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by KayCee92(m): 3:18am On Mar 26, 2018
Thank u bro 4 ur advice.
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by alakuko: 7:17am On Mar 26, 2018
Is that a question? When Fulani brings their own here and it thrive. Why will yours not do well?

2 Likes

Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 26, 2018
KayCee92:
Goodevening to you all, hope u had a good day. Please am seeking advice from experts in this line of agribusiness or any1 with knowledge about this subject. I have this great and innovative idea on how to establish a cattle farm and it generates money on a monthly basis using this unique model. My question is this: can this type of business thrive in the South South. That is, does the weather and climatic conditions of the place support this type of farming. Please your advice and observations are highly highly welcomed.thanks
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 26, 2018
KayCee92:
Goodevening to you all, hope u had a good day. Please am seeking advice from experts in this line of agribusiness or any1 with knowledge about this subject. I have this great and innovative idea on how to establish a cattle farm and it generates money on a monthly basis using this unique model . My question is this: can this type of business thrive in the South South. That is, does the weather and climatic conditions of the place support this type of farming. Please your advice and observations are highly highly welcomed.thanks

I deduced that you have just made only the financial model for the business. It is a good step.

The next step is you are trying to check the management of the breed in a tropical climatic condition. Hmmm

Sir, I am going to be honest with you, just forget the financial whatever model you have. You cannot use the financial model in the whatever region the breed is coming from to use it as a template for a new climatic condition. This is the mistake many make. I remember that one state government brought in a special breed from Europe and had to put them in an Air-conditioned room. Lolz. That funny set of people also used the financial statement of the temperate area or whatever area the breed were coming from to project income here. But they have forgotten the place they brought the breeds from does not need spending too much money on expensive diesel to power their system. Also, the place is naturally cold and they just need to turn heater when it is exrremely cold, and when it is getting to summer. Maybe 4 months in 12 months. Lol. They brought them here and had to power the cooling system 24/7, 365 days every year. grin Foolish people. grin

No one understands what you are doing here. You didnt even mention the name of the breed. I think you may not even want to mention it so that some bad belle people will not beat you in the game. So, we always think. Right?

So, how do you want experts to advise you? You gave no info about what you want to rear. It is like saying I have birds I want to rear, can it survive in South South? Of course many can but with different techniques. Boliers are managed with difference method to how one manages those local, tough, strong breeds. And the cost of rearing the two breeds differ.

I think you are O - Y- O. (On Your Own).

Way out:

Look at your breed again. Look at all the characteristics it has. Ask yourself if it can survive whereever you want to rear them. Then do pilot. One male, one female. See how it goes. Be ready to spend on pilot. It is the pilot you will use to make a new financial plan for the business. There is no short cut.

If you can give more info here and the name of the breed (s), fine. Perhaps, you can get more help. Maybe someone has done it, or is doing it. If you decide to make it your top secret, it is your sole responsibility to do it. And after getting it right, you are in cash bro.

Best of luck.
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by KayCee92(m): 8:14am On Mar 26, 2018
Thanks for ur candid opinion Fluentinfor. But am not hidding anything about this. Cattle business is a very old agric venture. I can't possibly hide anything abt that. However I have made changes on how to keep it and how to make it less cumbersome. The innovation is new but one which will change the way people do this particular business. That is only what I won't share. But d business is free for all to go into. What I just want is for people to advice on weather d climate is good for such. Or the breed that will likely do well in under such climatic conditions. Thanks again for ur response bro.
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Nobody: 8:27am On Mar 26, 2018
KayCee92:

Thanks for ur candid opinion Fluentinfor. But am not hidding anything about this. Cattle business is a very old agric venture. I can't possibly hide anything abt that. However I have made changes on how to keep it and how to make it less cumbersome. The innovation is new but one which will change the way people do this particular business. That is only what I won't share. But d business is free for all to go into. What I just want is for people to advice on weather d climate is good for such. Or the breed that will likely do well in under such climatic conditions. Thanks again for ur response bro.

There is nothing bad in keeping trade or business secret. It is allowed. And which the bolded statement is. What makes you think giving you away the breed's name is not more valuable than the model you have? Hmmmm.

Business is competition bro. You give out to take. Sure, I agree with you, it is a free thing for anyone to go in there. But I have just highlighted a vital point.

To you, perhaps your model is the joker, but to the other man or woman, the breed and management is the joker. Both of you do not want to release the info. So, which way forward? grin

1 Like

Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Chidonc(m): 10:52am On Mar 26, 2018
the major problem is tse-se fly bro, am also thinking of something similar, but the breed should be our local breeds here, have started talking with my Fulani friends for more information
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by KayCee92(m): 1:53pm On Mar 26, 2018
Chidonc:
the major problem is tse-se fly bro, am also thinking of something similar, but the breed should be our local breeds here, have started talking with my Fulani friends for more information

Exactly,also came across this as one of the major problems facing this venture in that area.can we talk privately bro?
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by KayCee92(m): 1:56pm On Mar 26, 2018
fluentinfor:

There is nothing bad in keeping trade or business secret. It is allowed. And which the bolded statement is. What makes you think giving you away the breed's name is not more valuable than the model you have? Hmmmm.

Business is competition bro. You give out to take. Sure, I agree with you, it is a free thing for anyone to go in there. But I have just highlighted a vital point.

To you, perhaps your model is the joker, but to the other man or woman, the breed and management is the joker. Both of you do not want to release the info. So, which way forward? grin

The way forward is that I can't just say it in a forum like this.....at least to avoid being discouraged. But I could pitch it to the right people and ear. More privately.
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Chidonc(m): 2:34pm On Mar 26, 2018
KayCee92:

Exactly,also came across this as one of the major problems facing this venture in that area.can we talk privately bro?
yes sir
070 three-5- 3-0-0-7-six-3,
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Willie2015: 11:20pm On Mar 26, 2018
Chidonc:

Stick with the White Fulani, thats what is available in the South West here.
Sokoto, Adamawa Gudali breed are not readily available from my observation, you may need to source from the North
Our local breed will do just fine in SS with good cattle mgt.
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by Chidonc(m): 5:14am On Mar 27, 2018
Willie2015:

Stick with the White Fulani, thats what is available in the South West here.
Sokoto, Adamawa Gudali breed are not readily available from my observation, you may need to source from the North
Our local breed will do just fine in SS with good cattle mgt.
noted sir, thank u sir
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by billyG(m): 11:22am On Apr 07, 2018
Wai not is it not our lush greener southern grasses d arm bearing vampire's cattle feed on.
Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by felixzo1(m): 8:16am On Nov 13, 2019
KayCee92:
send a mail to talk2fanen@gmail.com, I will send you my phone number, we can then discuss on phone. I don't have time to reply comprehensively

1 Like

Re: Can Cattle Breeding Thrive In The South South by KayCee92(m): 8:39am On Nov 13, 2019
felixzo1:
send a mail to talk2fanen@gmail.com, I will send you my phone number, we can then discuss on phone. I don't have time to reply comprehensively

Alright, I just sent a mail to you now. Expecting your reply. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Local Rice For Sale / Pure Palm Kernel Oil For Sale / Cost To Clear Virgin Land?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.