Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,817 members, 7,798,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. (11441 Views)

Top 10 IT Certifications In 2019 / Should I Dump My Bsc Degree To Be A Mechanic Apprentice? / Security Guard With Master's Degree Gets N250K After Encounter With Man In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by Nobody: 9:00am On Mar 27, 2018
Degree first
Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by calddon(m): 9:05am On Mar 27, 2018
Employers in Nigeria focus on Degree first then certification second
Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by chukzyfcbb: 9:31am On Mar 27, 2018
Goals

Comptia A+ √
Ccna Routing and switching √
CCNP ROUTE √
CCNP Switch ?
CCNP troubleshoot ?
CCIE R & S ?

Don't have no Computer Degree, but CSC Graduates be very afraid when I land my CCIE soon. Coming to take ya networking jobs smiley

Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by Nobody: 9:32am On Mar 27, 2018
yorex2011:
Don't think I have any certification sef. I've just learnt to develop my skills via reading, practice and teaching.

Certifications at times may give you a fall sense of ability which may be misleading.

Though it is important in some special cases if it might involve use of certain tools or equipment that are not mainstream or that are proprietary or difficult to access outside of a training environment.

Back to the question, It will depend on the use case. A degree most times in Computer science is better than any other certification in that line (most of the time). But a certification in Electrical Instrumentation might be more appealing than a degree in Electrical engineering

that's a lie I studied computer science, most of my classmates in university day has no job, because they bang on only degree, certificate in IT gives you an edge.
Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by tizteezy(m): 10:00am On Mar 27, 2018
bhankhead:
Anyone with any experience with this betting blog? www.donnieallen. Please help a brother about to risk some significant sum of money.

Risky. Anyways, if u eventually subscribe, pls help a brother and share the game via text message @09027224064
Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by judecares1(m): 10:04am On Mar 27, 2018
PLS GUYS,AS AN ECONOMIST,WAT KIND OF CERTIFICATION CAN SOMEONE OBTAIN IN OTHER TO BOOST HIS/HER KNOWLEDGE?
Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by yorex2011: 10:07am On Mar 27, 2018
shedybaba44:
that's a lie I studied computer science, most of my classmates in university day has no job, because they bang on only degree, certificate in IT gives you an edge.

There really isn't any cure for going to a university without learning anything, where I work I have one computer science guy who's even contemplating on whether to go for NYSC or not. He's already an important part of the team.

So yes its not a lie. Check most software developer jobs on LinkedIn. A computer science is mostly required. Certifications are not asked much except in much higher roles even which they'd still add the comp science degree requirement.

Next time, look at the bigger picture. A degree is not just paper. It is proof that you have learned the foundations of a course, that you have been tested on what you've learnt, that you have used the knowledge to develop something on your own (final year project) and that you have good knowledge of what you studied.

Problem here is that we think its paper. It's way more than that.

If as a computer science student you developed something really useful and innovative as a final year project. There's no way you'd be unemployed. Why because you have the skills required to succeed in your chosen profession

4 Likes

Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by airlord2020: 10:12am On Mar 27, 2018
it is better to have a degree first and then certification or get certification while studying for degree but make sure that you have degree. Your certification will expire but degree won't. Certification without a degree has limitation too.
Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by Ugosample(m): 12:29pm On Mar 27, 2018
judecares1:
PLS GUYS,AS AN ECONOMIST,WAT KIND OF CERTIFICATION CAN SOMEONE OBTAIN IN OTHER TO BOOST HIS/HER KNOWLEDGE?

As one with a degree in Economics, take this from me....

ACCA/ICAN/CFA is your surest bet (one of the three, or more of you can lol)

ACCA/ICAN plus your degree will give you an edge

CFA plus your degree will give you even more edge
Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by judecares1(m): 12:47pm On Mar 27, 2018
thanks boss but wat of CIPM I.E chartered institute of personnel management

Ugosample:

As one with a degree in Economics, take this from me....

ACCA/ICAN/CFA is your surest bet (one of the three, or more of you can lol)

ACCA/ICAN plus your degree will give you an edge

CFA plus your degree will give you even more edge

Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by AZeD1(m): 1:11pm On Mar 27, 2018
Williamso:
I do not have the time to thoroughly critique your post, so I'll just cherry pick a few things.

In your first point, what Professional certification might one acquire for web development? I'm really curious about this.

Secondly:

I agree with this, but I'll even take it a step further: Employers focus on those with skills neither degrees nor certifications.

The problem here is that people really don't know the purpose of a University and why they are there or studying what they are studying (due in small parts to posts like this). And then people come out of the university as empty as they got in (I'm also a victim of this).
As an example, you seem to be into web development so I'm sure you know about major frameworks, etc. The engineering of these frameworks requires a high level understanding of data structures and algorithms which every Computer Science program teaches. I haven't heard of any "professional certification" where you learn algorithms and its knowledge is priceless.

In summary, you can't say Certification is better than degree; it's not the degree's fault that most of the people who possess it don't even know why they did.

I have 2 degrees, 0 certifications and 0 regrets tongue
One bottle for you.

For big software firms (Google, Microsoft et al) certifications are bad, so bad a Google engineer once wrote if you have certifications on your CV, they'll laugh at you.

Knowledge matters and can you compare knowledge between someone who spent 4 years studying and someone who spent 3 months?

Re: Degree Vs Certifications: Which Should You Go For? – A Detailed Guide. by DaCharis2016: 5:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
Am interested in getting a certification, but dont know which course is better.

(1) (2) (Reply)

When Is The Right Time To Take A Career Break? / Maintaining Peace Between Gen Zs And Other Generations In The Workplace / Pensioners Protest In Osogbo, Demand Payment Of Arrears [see Photos & Video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.