Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,312 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Why Nigerians Are So Angry - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Nigerians Are So Angry (484 Views)

My Stepmother Poured Hot Water On My Baby! I'm So Angry / I Easily Get Angry And Keep Malice A Lot, Please Help / Couple Ignore Their Maid At A Restaurant, Angry Nigerians React (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Are So Angry by Nobody: 9:07am On Mar 27, 2018
By Oluwaseun Oloruntegbe

Nigerians deal with a shitload of emotionally traumatic issues that are never addressed, let alone resolved. For starters, a good percentage of Nigerians grew up in abusive homes with angry and frustrated parents. Many homes are fully devoid of parent-child interaction or any form of healthy communication. Parents speak at children not with them. They turn to physical abuse when the child talks back. But you can't completely blame the parents. They grew up in even worse conditions and don't know any better. When I was growing up, my Mom was a loving tyrant whose words and actions were enough to motivate a child to greatness and at the same time scar him for life.

Where am I going with this? We don't communicate enough in Nigeria and we most definitely don't acknowledge our emotions and emotional shortcomings let alone try to understand or resolve them. We then live the rest of our lives like zombies unaware of the incredible weight of unresolved emotions, stress, and trauma that we carry. What we do, and this is an instinctive and survival strategy, is deflect the manifestations of our own issues on others. This is why we're so angry and lash out at every opportunity.

We never had family meetings, outings, or vacations when I was growing up. The only places we went together as a family was Church and our farm. Now I realised how distant we all were even though we lived together. There were just no avenues for us to express our emotions and concerns with each other. And my parents are both practicing Christians and very educated.

I had some deep conversations with my Mom when she recently visited about addressing emotions in a healthy manner. I don't think she understood what I was saying. She probably thinks I'm becoming too white.

On a side note, it wasn't until I left Nigeria that I realised pets are supposed to be friendly. Even our animals are angry and scared of us because of our hostility towards them.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

As A Family Man/woman, Would You Allow Your Parent To Sleep In Your Bedroom / Pay Less Tax Via Bonuslife Savings And Get A Whole Of Life Cover. / Man Shares Pics Of How His Cousin Sister Extort 4K Inside His Last 5k He Had

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.