Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,469 members, 7,801,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. (51070 Views)

They Just Brought Nepa Bill To My House Now / Buhari Using NEPA Bill As Secondary School Certificate - Femi Fani-Kayode / Do You Know You Can Contest An Estimated Nepa Bill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by nairalandtruthr: 7:45am On Mar 29, 2018
Copied. May be helpful

A thread on why PREPAID METER being distributed TO ALL may never be achieved in Nigeria.
After the Nigerian Police, Nigerian Electricity distribution companies are next on the list when it comes to corruption. This has been in existence from time immemorial, just like barracks, many government have come and gone but the deep rooted corruption in the system remains
In April 2016, I moved in to my current apartment. The apartment was still connected to an old meter and there was an outstanding payment of about N385,000.00 to be paid.

This wasn't revealed to me before I made payment for the rent, as usual (that's how they all do)
This became a worry and an absolute headache.

I asked the landlord why it was so and she made me understand that the apartment was not in use for 5years.

I asked how come it wasn't reported to NEPA so they'd stop the billing, she gave me a copy of the letter she wrote to them
So I took the matter up, wrote several mails to Eko electricity company and the matter was on for 11months, note that in the space of this 11 months, I never got a monthly bill lesser than 24,000.00

You want to ask if I have a factory in my apartment? No I don't.
So it extended from wanting the company to zerorize the ridiculous outstanding balance in the billing account to fighting and contesting the outrageous billing system which do not in any way represent my true electricity consumption and wanting a Prepaid Meter

The battle began.
After several exchange of mails betweens myself and Eko Electric and no solution was forthcoming, I moved the matter to NERC, the regulatory body for all electricity distribution companies in Nigeria.

I filed a petition against Ekedp and the undertaking in charge of my area.
Lo and behold, after three days from the petition submission to NERC, I got a call from the marketing manager for my area pleading for me to make myself available to allow them come to my house and take inventory of the electrical appliances I use.

NERC is working yeah? Right.
A staff of the Ekedp came to take the inventory and at the end of the computations, we calculated and multiplied each appliance by the estimated units they consume per day and multiplied by 31days.

Recall I said I never got a bill less than 24k in a month?
Then we arrived at a figure that even the Eko electric staff who came to take the inventory opened his mouth and couldn't close it.

What I should be billed based on having 24hour light per day(which is not even possible) in 31 days was 4,800.00

I almost ran mad.
I took a copy of the report, scanned it and attached it to my next petition to NERC.

At this point, the marketing manager attached to my undertaking had started calling and begging me to stop the petitions.

That they could all get sacked if matters gets escalated further.
Then in September 2017, after all the troubles and how I never got tired if pursuing the issue, I got a mail from Eko electricity to come with some required documents in order to fill a form for a PREPAID METER.

I went there and did as they requested

At Last.
On 27 November 2017, I was on leave.
I was at my gate then this Alfa looking guy was parading and trying to see house number on the fence. My instinct told me to ask if he was asking for Ayo, then he said yes

He was the prepaid meter installer, he was with my new prepaid meter
I also recall that before the whole issue started, I was discouraged severally that I can never be given prepaid meter due to the outstanding balance on the billing account, I paid no mind to all the people that said that and went ahead with my case.
I got the Prepaid meter for FREE. After a week, bill was brought and boom, outstanding balance has been cleared from 385,000.00 to zero balance.

How did I achieve this?
I mean I didn't pay a dime to anyone and I never for once bribed my way in all my dealings.
I achieved this simply because;

1. I knew my right.
2. I wouldn't settle for mediocrity
3. I never stopped pushing even after several months and it seemed unachievable
4. I was ready to take the matter up anywhere
5. I was informed.
Now imagine how many people are out there who don't even know how to go about such tedious and draining process.

I learnt that a lot of people even paid as much as 40k to get the prepaid meter. Something that's supposed to be free.
Since the prepaid meter was installed in November 27 2017, I have not exhausted the 303 units that came with it which is calculated to be 7,200.00

And I still have 140units left to use.

That's over four (4) months now
Do you now see why these people will never allow dream of every homes having a prepaid meter become a reality?

Because such development will block all holes where the electricity distribution corrupt members of staff perpetrate their fraudulent activities and corruption from.
They know that they will be forced to give light more in order to generate revenue and will not be able to charge people outrageously as they are currently doing and remitting the proceeds of their criminal act to their pockets.

Stand up and Fight for what is your right.
Prepaid meter is your right, fight for it to the latter.

If you believe that your monthly electricity bill do not represent your consumption, make a case.

If you're in Lagos, Ikeja Electricity company and Eko electricity company are there for you.

If they fail, involve NERC.
That will be all, for now.
Due to popular demand, these are the email addresses you can forward your complaints to -
Ikeja Electricity Distribution - customercare@ikejaelectric.com
Eko Electricity Distribution - customercare@ekedp.com
Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission - complaints@nerc.gov.ng

https://mobile.twitter.com/PureMind__/status/976162474117484546

233 Likes 75 Shares

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 29, 2018
Let us stand up and fight for what is our right.
Prepaid meter is our right, let us fight for it to the latter.

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Samusu(m): 8:12am On Mar 29, 2018
Wow, op I admire yhur courage. Am gonna save this page for future reference.
Thanks alot

Cc; lalasticlala, Seun and Mynd44.

This the type of enlightening topics that are suppose to be on front page not one useless bbnaija kinikonkinikon

Op, manage this one eh, e no plenty abeg

135 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by prospero5(m): 8:13am On Mar 29, 2018
so enlightening!

the height of cheating and corruption in this country is so alarming.

27 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by ak22(m): 8:18am On Mar 29, 2018
I have a similar issue too my monthly bill is from #11900 to #13000 every month and I have just 4bulbs 2 wall fan and a TV set with DVD.
@ nairalandtruthr . please show me the way out

Is now that I know that this BEDC service provider in Ondo - State and environment are mad people . imagine my light was cut off by them for more that a month and I was not at home at that time and they still brought bill of #12200 for the same month . which way Nigeria dey go self ?

28 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Jethrolite(m): 9:37am On Mar 29, 2018
nairalandtruthr

Please clarify, are you saying all you had to do was send an email petition with scanned documents to NERC email? That's all?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by chuckdee4(m): 10:07am On Mar 29, 2018
These are the sort of topics that should be on the front page not BBN rubbish.
Well done @ the OP

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by gssdobi: 10:48am On Mar 29, 2018
Naija youths, will avoid this. They are allergic to this kind of information.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by lalasticlala(m): 11:00am On Mar 29, 2018
nairalandtruthr:
Copied.

Please, can you put link to where you got this from? Twitter or facebook or..
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Firefire(m): 11:07am On Mar 29, 2018
Wicked con3.

1 Like

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Pierohandsome: 12:22pm On Mar 29, 2018
grin
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Nenejeje(f): 1:45pm On Mar 29, 2018
gssdobi:
Naija youths, will avoid this. They are allergic to this kind of information.

if I'm right, it was from a comment of a nairalander. the topic hit front page last week or so

op, can you please share the link?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by IAMTHEHERO: 2:14pm On Mar 29, 2018
I retired from commenting on Nairaland, just to be reading comments only.
But the op has forced me out of my retirement with this story.

To the op, may you live long. God bless you. I really value and appreciate this story.

107 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by HeWrites(m): 6:29pm On Mar 29, 2018
lalasticlala:

Please, can you put link to where you got this from? Twitter or facebook or..

It's on Twitter. The original poster is Ayo FBI @Puremind__

Here is the link https://twitter.com/PureMind__/status/976162474117484546

2 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by lalasticlala(m): 6:46pm On Mar 29, 2018
HeWrites:

It's on Twitter. The original poster is Ayo FBI @Puremind__

Here is the link https://twitter.com/PureMind__/status/976162474117484546

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by ConcNiggress56(f): 7:50pm On Mar 29, 2018
uh
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:50pm On Mar 29, 2018
How I wish all Nigerians are like this.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by miqos02(m): 7:51pm On Mar 29, 2018
cool
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by ObservantFellow: 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2018
Kudos OP.. That was how I was involved in raising awareness about the #750 service charge on prepaid meters which ensured that every prepaid meter was remitting #12,000 yearly whether it is in use or not. It was eventually scrapped.
Thanks for this enlightening experience. From this, I surely have some advice for people who have such problems. grin

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by ipobarecriminals: 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2018
sad like Nepal, Nipost, psp, all of d3m nah THIEVES

2 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by BruncleZuma: 7:52pm On Mar 29, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by veacea: 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2018
But some people won't be happy that somebody is fighting corruption. Anyway what's my own. Lemme go and see my friend Udeme

6 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 29, 2018
Does Cee-Cee really like Tobi?

1 Like

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Stallion93(m): 7:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
Check my signature if interested in buying a land @port Harcourt metropolis

1 Like

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Tajbol4splend(m): 7:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
NEPA useless VAR
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Nwaohafia1: 7:55pm On Mar 29, 2018
ok
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by miqos02(m): 7:55pm On Mar 29, 2018
IAMTHEHERO:
I retired from commenting on Nairaland, just to be reading comments only.
But the op has forced me out of my retirement with this story.

To the op, may you live long. God bless you. I really value and appreciate this story.
retired but not tired

2 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by san316(m): 7:55pm On Mar 29, 2018
I wish I can do this, but I'm too busy fighting my neighbors to contribute the 250 we dey use pay NEPA bill. Oga oo

3 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by RuddyFusion(m): 7:56pm On Mar 29, 2018
Fantastics

1 Like

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by Kaxmytex(m): 7:57pm On Mar 29, 2018
That shii is too lonnng
Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by YourWife(f): 7:58pm On Mar 29, 2018
No nyash, no BBN... Post highly rejected!

Sorry for Nigeriya youths!!!

3 Likes

Re: How A Customer Stood His Ground Against Outrageous NEPA Bill. by stancydg: 7:58pm On Mar 29, 2018
This is the one of the ways to enforce positive change. Not just by lamentations.

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

IPOB Member Shot In Anambra While Waiting For Nnamdi Kanu's Arrival (Graphic Pic / Hijab Crisis: Kwara Is Muslim State, Take Your Mission Schools To Rivers - MURIC / Emmanuel Macron Playing Drum With Nigerian Lady (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.