Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,661 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) (48505 Views)

Heritage Foundation Says US Military Is WEAK And Unable To Win War (Pics) / Pro-abortion Activists Protest In Cities, Burn American Flag (Pics, Video) / My Husband’s Organ Is Massive , I Dont Enjoy Intimacy With Him – Bride (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Mille: 1:57pm On Mar 29, 2018
A controversial pact, in which the US military wants to invest $20 million and get access to Ghana’s runways and communications, set off rallies in the West African nation, with people chanting their country is “not for sale.”

Thousands of people flocked to the streets of Accra, the capital of Ghana, to protest a military deal the government recently signed with the US. As part of the agreement, Washington would allocate around $20 million to train the Ghanaian military, carrying out joint exercises and using the nation’s radio channels and runways, the New York Times reported.

On Wednesday, massive demonstrations erupted in the capital, with people decrying both Ghana’s government and US President Donald Trump. Demonstrators held placards that read “Shithole government,” “Trump take your military base away.” “Ghana not for sale,” and “Ghana is better than $20 million.”

https://www.google.de/amp/s/www.rt.com/news/422651-ghana-us-military-protests/amp/

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Mille: 1:58pm On Mar 29, 2018

Police say around 3,500 protesters took part. Some voiced unease over the growing US military expansion in Ghana and beyond. “As a right-thinking citizen, I am here to fight for my country. I am against selling our peace and security for $20 million,” Gifty Yankson, a 49-year-old trader, told Africa News.

“They [the US military] become a curse everywhere they are, and I am not ready to mortgage my security,” the man added. Though riot police were deployed, the demonstration was peaceful.

The agreement was approved by Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo’s government last Friday, but has come under fire from the opposition which voted against the pact in parliament and insisted it was a blow to the country’s sovereignty.

The US Embassy in Ghana said Washington had “not requested, nor does it plan to establish a military base or bases in Ghana.” It added: "This year, the United States of America is investing over $20m in training and equipment for the Ghanaian armed forces.”

Joint exercises were planned for this year “which require access to Ghanaian bases by US participants and those from other nations when included,” according to the embassy.

Similar protests against US military presence took place in different locations across the globe. The Japanese island of Okinawa is one of the most active venues of anti-American rallies. In recent years, demonstrations lambasting the US military occurred in Italy and the Czech Republic.

In Italy, locals have repeatedly voiced their unease over the US Dal Molin Army base. The country has one of the highest numbers of US bases in the world, and is the second-largest state in Europe after Germany which hosts an American military presence.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Okoroawusa: 2:00pm On Mar 29, 2018
wahala dey o!

1 Like

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by VonTrapp: 2:04pm On Mar 29, 2018
The protesters are being foolish, the US is just being diplomatic, they can gain access to Ghana's communications channels anytime they want without Ghanaians even knowing it.

85 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Mille: 2:09pm On Mar 29, 2018
US Embassy Statement

2 Likes

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by muykem: 2:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
Ghana is not for sale. Maybe the money is small. US please increase the money to $50m.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by itsMrIke(m): 2:29pm On Mar 29, 2018
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Someone wrote "419 Government"

Does he even know what it means?

94 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by GavelSlam: 2:29pm On Mar 29, 2018
They'll be experiencing inter-communal wars pretty soon.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 29, 2018
GOD knows what they were doing in Ghana at the first place .....

after giving librarians one year to leave their country .....

hypocrites everywhere

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by nelszx: 2:54pm On Mar 29, 2018
In one of the pictures
"Shithole government" and another carried "Ghana isn't a shithole country" grin grin grin
Ghana people self

111 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Cordis92(f): 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2018
It is high time they left African countries alone.

I am surprised that it is the same man who refused the français policy, because he felt international aid has never help African countries, that signed US policy.

#TheAU2063agenda
#letsbuildourAfrica

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by omocalabar(m): 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2018
I don't need this space anymore.... who wants it.?
Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Nobody: 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2018
What is Ghana?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Thoby1(m): 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2018
Hum
Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by ottohan: 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2018
I will not be surprised if 90℅ of these protesters are of Hausa/ Fulani extraction...

I heard d herdsmen over there are causing mayhem...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Nwaohafia1: 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2018
Wow! Nice one from Ghanaians. Not Nigerians that take everything government shoves down their throat.

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by olahero(m): 3:11pm On Mar 29, 2018
Trump... You mean you wanna block China.

3 Likes

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2018
good one Ghanaians

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by ZombieTAMER: 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2018
Thumbs up to the People of Ghana

Unlike this shithole called Nigeria full of keyboard and twitter warriors where lawlessness has taking over ..

Can tribalism and religious bigotry allow the general public to checkmate the government?

Useless country

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by victorazyvictor(m): 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2018
Sometimes I wonder what type of soil God used in molding black man

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Victorakats(m): 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2018
European oppression continues

1 Like

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by 1shortblackboy: 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2018
Ordinary 20 million dollars sef.smh

5 Likes

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Thewesterner(m): 3:13pm On Mar 29, 2018
Dey Don sell my country... eeewooo

15 Likes

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by ObaKlaz: 3:14pm On Mar 29, 2018
They all look like rampaging cultists in those black and red colours, plus their extra-black faces.

4 Likes

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Harkholarworle(m): 3:14pm On Mar 29, 2018
USA finding means to start war in Ghana and west Africa in general, they wanna destabilized the economy, crazy president, racist, causing problem everywhere, I just wish this guy can be impeached, Lord have mercy.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Blackfire(m): 3:14pm On Mar 29, 2018
Charlie everything is for sale...

Just name the price

Akwaba
Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by chrisxxx(m): 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
[quote author=itsMrIke post=66260712]Hahahahahahahahahaha

Someone wrote "419 Government"

Does he even know what it means?[/quote/]

Why wouldn't he? Ghana is an extension of Lagos

8 Likes

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by VIPERVENOM(m): 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
That placard though cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Gangster1ms: 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
Dont mind ghana... Come and take Nigeria own cry
Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
Ghana is french toast economically, the AFCTA agreement will see to that.
Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by afroxyz: 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
VonTrapp:
The protesters are being foolish, the US is just being diplomatic, they can gain access to Ghana's communications channels anytime they want without Ghanaians even knowing it.

You obviously lack comprehension

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest In Ghana Against US Military Is Massive (Photos) by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2018
The United state is the kinda country that offers to help you to solve a problem of $100, but will require full authorization worth $1,000,000. Give them a little space and they'll override your whole system, it'd look like you're in control but really the host government is the figurehead, they'll pull the strings to make even the senior citizens of the host countries bend to their will.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Syrian Air Defences Activated And Respond To Strikes / Zuma Hands Himself Over To Police, Begins 15-Month sentence (Pics, Videos) / Ghana Kings Gifted The Queen Solid Gold Palanquin Miniature In 1961 (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.