Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,516 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:57 PM

"Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican (18115 Views)

People Say Hell Is Not Real, But Nairalanders Prove Otherwise. / Nigerian Catholic Bishops Meet With Pope Francis At The Vatican. Photos / Seun Doesn't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by Nobody: 2:33am On Mar 30, 2018
Whether the pope denied the existence of hell or not we all know for a fact that Nigeria is hell fire and we are all living in it.

1 Like

Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by einsteino(m): 4:52am On Mar 30, 2018
Sadusky:

Am a catholic too brother but the pope some times makes some statements that is controversial some times. I watched his speech in 2015 where he said Jesus death in the cross is a failure. That's an abomination

Reference to verify your claim. In my experience, the media, and other denominations, seem obsessed with painting the catholic church black. Some are not to blame as they often do it out of ignorance. I have read at least 5 deceitful captions and stories bothering on the vatican in a space of 3years and a little research proved they were made up or taken out of context. It is upon this precendence I ask you for a reference so i can check things out for myself.

1 Like

Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by Ejehjoe(m): 5:42am On Mar 30, 2018
Never will His Holiness say such. People that ridicule the papacy and do harm to such a high profile anointed man of God should tread with caution
Nemesis easily catch up with culprits
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by sanerugwei: 5:49am On Mar 30, 2018
Ejehjoe:
Never will His Holiness say such. People that ridicule the papacy and do harm to such a high profile anointed man of God should tread with caution
Nemesis easily catch up with culprits

See what the pope said...
“There is no hell where the souls of sinners suffer in eternity”, Pope Francis was quoted as saying in a Thursday interview with Italian daily La Repubblica.

Pope reportedly said: “After death, the souls of people who repent are pardoned by God and join in his contemplation, but those who do not repent, and therefore cannot be pardoned, disappear.

The key phrase is suffer in eternity.. Such teaching is not consistent with scripture,because even hell and demons will be destroyed and a new heaven and new earth recreated according to the Bible.

So he did not say hell doesn't exist, rather, hell will not exist in eternity or forever. So he is correcting a previous teaching of his church, RC.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by sanerugwei: 6:06am On Mar 30, 2018
Wizklynd23:
Fake news spread like wild fire embarassed embarassed A pope can't err, the pope is holy, such news came from the devil's agent... Pls when we hear such news for once we shouldn't regard them as truth or never consider them true... My two cents though cool cool

Pope cannot err bawo? Are you sure, cos last I know he is human and to err is human.
Even Moses and so many prophets and apostles of old who walked with the Master did err at one point or the other. We all do err at some point.

Even st. Paul had to rebuke or correct st Peter whom you claim as your first pope, talkless of modern day clergy.
Let the Christ be your standard and not a fellow mortal.

Back to topic, what pope actually said it that hellfire burning forever, or hell in eternity does not exist. He is right based on scripture. This not saying hell does not exist, but hell exist but hell itself and its occupants shall be destroyed by fire and a new earth rebuilt. Go read book of revelations.

There is no perpetual torment, btw, hell or sheol as used interchangeably in the bible is a place of the dead. But at the final trump call of Christ, the righteous shall rise and the remaining sinners still in hell will be cast into the fire with satan and demons and destroyed once and for all.

So pope uses the word disappear... See below..
“There is no hell where the souls of sinners suffer in eternity”, Pope Francis was quoted as saying in a Thursday interview with Italian daily La Repubblica.

Pope reportedly said: “After death, the souls of people who repent are pardoned by God and join in his contemplation, but those who do not repent, and therefore cannot be pardoned, disappear.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by ddeola: 6:23am On Mar 30, 2018
I believe the Pope will not deny the existence of hell because he wouldn't be a christian in the first place.

Make una post the clip and shut the mouth of d pple misleading the public

1 Like

Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by sanerugwei: 6:52am On Mar 30, 2018
ddeola:
I believe the Pope will not deny the existence of hell because he wouldn't be a christian in the first place.

Make una post the clip and shut the mouth of d pple misleading the public

He did not say hell doesn't exist, rather, hell will not exist in eternity or forever. So he is correcting a previous teaching of his church, RC, the church of Rome.
Check the quote up there.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by achiever12: 7:15am On Mar 30, 2018
PurplePatch:
When even the clergy are still skeptical about their doctrines, what do you expect from their brainwashed followers

Paedophilia
Grayism
Rev. Fathers/Nuns affairs

Everything covered up within the church.
The list goes on and on. Pls don't dare quote me cos Google is your friend.

Nothing is covered up anywhere.

Nuns and priests Bleep, the same way pastors Bleep church members or choir members. You guys are not better in any way than Catholics. All these holier than thou points of view are completely empty
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by achiever12: 7:19am On Mar 30, 2018
Wizklynd23:
Fake news spread like wild fire embarassed embarassed A pope can't err, the pope is holy, such news came from the devil's agent... Pls when we hear such news for once we shouldn't regard them as truth or never consider them true... My two cents though cool cool

Oga, the church doesn't follow that misleading doctrine anymore. We have gone beyond that level. Do you know how many times the Pope has apologized for certain statements he made? I know of two.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by Ehibiggirl(f): 7:38am On Mar 30, 2018
engrchykae:
after all the same pope supports gay people
support what you have said with proof or keep shut.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by monex(m): 8:19am On Mar 30, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
Reminds me of what pope Leo said about the fable of Christ.

that one was most likely false

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/30416/did-pope-leo-x-say-that-christianity-is-a-fable
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:21am On Mar 30, 2018
monex:

that one was most likely false

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/30416/did-pope-leo-x-say-that-christianity-is-a-fable
Seriously they would always want to defend what he said.You viewed a website that were with yours I did same.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 31, 2018
einsteino:

Reference to verify your claim. In my experience, the media, and other denominations, seem obsessed with painting the catholic church black. Some are not to blame as they often do it out of ignorance. I have read at least 5 deceitful captions and stories bothering on the vatican in a space of 3years and a little research proved they were made up or taken out of context. It is upon this precendence I ask you for a reference so i can check things out for myself.

Yes, i use to think that way too. But if i see something bad, i will call you out. I dont care if you are a close friend.

The video below: Pope Francis when he made the statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrZg4adOWvA

Alex Jones channel and also ABC news confirmed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_7zJTwzfMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_7zJTwzfMc

At first i use to think it was translated wrongly and it was a mistake. After critical analysis from different source, it was confirmed that was exactly what he said.

It might also interest you to know that this is not the first time he is saying something like this. He has said so many other things that contradicts the bible. The one above i can confirm is 100% what he said.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by einsteino(m): 9:42pm On Mar 31, 2018
Sadusky:

Yes, i use to think that way too. But if i see something bad, i will call you out. I dont care if you are a close friend.

At first i use to think it was translated wrongly and it was a mistake. After critical analysis from different source, it was confirmed that was exactly what he said.

It might also interest you to know that this is not the first time he is saying something like this. He has said so many other things that contradicts the bible. The one above i can confirm is 100% what he said.

oh jeez i actually thought you had something.

it is quite interesting how all you heard was jesus failed. it is dangerous to take words out or pick a few lines of someone's word. I would give you an instance, on the cross Jesus said “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani...?” meaning "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me..." could easily be misinterpreted as Jesus accusing God the Father of abandoning Him, especially if you disregard the ellipsis "..." and this is the danger of picking words. when you read the bible comprehensively it becomes clear to you that Jesus was actually reciting the psalm! repeating the first line of Psalm 22 and if you read that psalm up to the end of verse 31 you would be astonished at how beautifully it fits the event at the cross and exhumed confidence and faith. so he was reminding the jews of the prophecy.

Now this is the full speech of the Pope and it was addressed in a homily to priest and the religious who are doing missionary works "And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and produce no fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus . . . and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, in the failure of the cross".

If you read the entire speech together, you would understand exactly what the Pope meant. The phrase "humanly speaking" is even enough to clarify what he is saying if one is objective, humanly speaking contrast human perception with divine perception. It would seem you have never heard of the theology of failure, why am i surprised, nowadays the only theology people know of is that of prosperity.

in the eyes of the Jews, Jesus had miserably failed to convert his beloved people. He died a total reject. It is only in the light of Christian faith in his resurrection that what was failure by human standards succeeded before God. Thus, the "humanly speaking". And this is why to this day the jews who have stubbornly held on to the crucification and refused to acknowledge the ressurection are still waiting for a messiah. The Risen Christ is the answer of God to human perception of failure. the cross was where the jews had a filled day, the ressurection is where the disciples and christains have theirs. The ressurection is the hope, joy and consolation for the billions of little “nobodies” whom the successful and powerful of this world(the Pilate and Pharisees) deem to be total failures, that God’s standards of success and failure are not ours.

Humanly speaking, up to the moment of the cross, not considering beyond it, it was a failure for someone who came as God to die in such agony, humiliated and executed like a regular criminal, even worse when you realise he wasnt merely executed, he was actually murdered by the very people whom he had come to save, the people who he had tried to bring to repentance ended up commiting a greater sin than they would have if he had not come, they murdered the son of God. A whole God, could die, get murdered? to men, oblivious of God's intents, and by our standards, that was failure. The expectation of the jews of the messiah was a political revolutionary that would save them from the Romans, and to them and any man that witnessed the crucification, christ at his death on the cross was the height of failure of a political revolutionary.

We know today that God's perspective differed, but humanly speaking in mans canal eyes at the time, the cross was a point of failure. The bible actually records the jews taunting him as a failure at his death. it was so bad that during the crucification, the disciples cowered and went into hiding, even Peter denied him as is typical of men to at ones point of failure. Remember all this is said from a human point of view, without an understanding of what was to come and the essence of his death. So going on, it was the lowest time of a man that had healed the sick, raised the dead, made the blind to see again, yet there he was on a cross watching his life slip away from Him.

The Glory of Christ to men was his ressurection and never his death at the cross, his death was in atonement of our sins, a sacrificial lamb and men saw no glory in that. It is the glorious ressurection that we celeberate and that is what proved that he is indeed God. it was his ressurection that gave the disciples the conviction and morale boost to carry on with their mission, much to the point that they were willing to be martyrs... and the roman empire the jews expected the messiah to save them from, the same one that executed christ got converted to the christain faith to the point that it became the one to propagate the gospel, and the seat of the church. So human failure mysteriously, by the work of christ became Glory through the resurrection! Christains believe they would share in that glory, the ressurection of souls. This is the theology of failure.

However the bible admonishes us to carry our cross, and it is clear from the bible that the cross does not signify success, doesnt signify prosperity or glory, rather it is a burden that has a failure point in human perception and the bible recognises that. This is in line with The Pope's message to the priests "And if at times our efforts and works SEEM to fail and produce no fruit..."

So Francis was simply saying for the times that it would SEEM that you failed in your mission, remember that even Christ himself went through the cross where he was utterly rejected by the same people his mission was to save and by all human standards his mission had SEEMED to fail, but we should know that what we consider as failure isnt the same in God's eye..I think the message is beautiful, especially in these days when christains are told that all there is to christainity is prosperity and success , and if you are poor and suffer it  must be because you  dont know God.  Meanwhile the truth is tribulations and failure is to be expected. the early christains suffered and all died horrific deaths. I implore you to read about them, so you can appreciate the sacrifices that was made for your faith and understand better the theology of failure.

I admonish us to criticize the Pope objectively, it would seem everyone just has a pre-empted intent to cherry pick his words with a pschology they have had before he even uttered his words. I rarely even go to church, yet i understood him clearly, so it can only be intentional that you guys miscontrued his words.
Re: "Pope Francis Didn't Say Hell Doesn't Exist, He Was Misrepresented" - Vatican by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 01, 2018
einsteino:

oh jeez i actually thought you had something.

it is quite interesting how all you heard was jesus failed. it is dangerous to take words out or pick a few lines of someone's word. I would give you an instance, on the cross Jesus said “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani...?” meaning "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me..." could easily be misinterpreted as Jesus accusing God the Father of abandoning Him, especially if you disregard the ellipsis "..." and this is the danger of picking words. when you read the bible comprehensively it becomes clear to you that Jesus was actually reciting the psalm! repeating the first line of Psalm 22 and if you read that psalm up to the end of verse 31 you would be astonished at how beautifully it fits the event at the cross and exhumed confidence and faith. so he was reminding the jews of the prophecy.

Now this is the full speech of the Pope and it was addressed in a homily to priest and the religious who are doing missionary works "And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and produce no fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus . . . and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, in the failure of the cross".

If you read the entire speech together, you would understand exactly what the Pope meant. The phrase "humanly speaking" is even enough to clarify what he is saying if one is objective, humanly speaking contrast human perception with divine perception. It would seem you have never heard of the theology of failure, why am i surprised, nowadays the only theology people know of is that of prosperity.

in the eyes of the Jews, Jesus had miserably failed to convert his beloved people. He died a total reject. It is only in the light of Christian faith in his resurrection that what was failure by human standards succeeded before God. Thus, the "humanly speaking". And this is why to this day the jews who have stubbornly held on to the crucification and refused to acknowledge the ressurection are still waiting for a messiah. The Risen Christ is the answer of God to human perception of failure. the cross was where the jews had a filled day, the ressurection is where the disciples and christains have theirs. The ressurection is the hope, joy and consolation for the billions of little “nobodies” whom the successful and powerful of this world(the Pilate and Pharisees) deem to be total failures, that God’s standards of success and failure are not ours.

Humanly speaking, up to the moment of the cross, not considering beyond it, it was a failure for someone who came as God to die in such agony, humiliated and executed like a regular criminal, even worse when you realise he wasnt merely executed, he was actually murdered by the very people whom he had come to save, the people who he had tried to bring to repentance ended up commiting a greater sin than they would have if he had not come, they murdered the son of God. A whole God, could die, get murdered? to men, oblivious of God's intents, and by our standards, that was failure. The expectation of the jews of the messiah was a political revolutionary that would save them from the Romans, and to them and any man that witnessed the crucification, christ at his death on the cross was the height of failure of a political revolutionary.

We know today that God's perspective differed, but humanly speaking in mans canal eyes at the time, the cross was a point of failure. The bible actually records the jews taunting him as a failure at his death. it was so bad that during the crucification, the disciples cowered and went into hiding, even Peter denied him as is typical of men to at ones point of failure. Remember all this is said from a human point of view, without an understanding of what was to come and the essence of his death. So going on, it was the lowest time of a man that had healed the sick, raised the dead, made the blind to see again, yet there he was on a cross watching his life slip away from Him.

The Glory of Christ to men was his ressurection and never his death at the cross, his death was in atonement of our sins, a sacrificial lamb and men saw no glory in that. It is the glorious ressurection that we celeberate and that is what proved that he is indeed God. it was his ressurection that gave the disciples the conviction and morale boost to carry on with their mission, much to the point that they were willing to be martyrs... and the roman empire the jews expected the messiah to save them from, the same one that executed christ got converted to the christain faith to the point that it became the one to propagate the gospel, and the seat of the church. So human failure mysteriously, by the work of christ became Glory through the resurrection! Christains believe they would share in that glory, the ressurection of souls. This is the theology of failure.

However the bible admonishes us to carry our cross, and it is clear from the bible that the cross does not signify success, doesnt signify prosperity or glory, rather it is a burden that has a failure point in human perception and the bible recognises that. This is in line with The Pope's message to the priests "And if at times our efforts and works SEEM to fail and produce no fruit..."

So Francis was simply saying for the times that it would SEEM that you failed in your mission, remember that even Christ himself went through the cross where he was utterly rejected by the same people his mission was to save and by all human standards his mission had SEEMED to fail, but we should know that what we consider as failure isnt the same in God's eye..I think the message is beautiful, especially in these days when christains are told that all there is to christainity is prosperity and success , and if you are poor and suffer it  must be because you  dont know God.  Meanwhile the truth is tribulations and failure is to be expected. the early christains suffered and all died horrific deaths. I implore you to read about them, so you can appreciate the sacrifices that was made for your faith and understand better the theology of failure.

I admonish us to criticize the Pope objectively, it would seem everyone just has a pre-empted intent to cherry pick his words with a pschology they have had before he even uttered his words. I rarely even go to church, yet i understood him clearly, so it can only be intentional that you guys miscontrued his words.

Oh my God! I knew people will reason from this angle. He should have continued by saying but it's not a failure to avoid confusion because not everyone can reason logically like you did.

Do you know 3years ago he made a statement and I quote

"The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator"

Why will a Christian and a leader of the church make such a statement. Like seriously what is going on here?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions W.F Kumuyi Must Answer Before Coming To Aba / 4 Powerful Reasons Why You Should Attend Church Weekly / Faith & David Oyedepo Celebrate 36th Wedding Anniversary

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.