Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) (24200 Views)

FG Rewards Athletes At The Commonwealth Games. See How Much They Got (Photos) / Blessing Oborududu Wins Gold At Comonwealth Games (Photos) / Jade Faulkner, Nigerian Gymnast At The Commonwealth Games. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by dainformant(m): 9:39am On Mar 31, 2018
Team Nigeria’s sole representative in the men’s High Jump at the forthcoming Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, Mike Edwards, is appealing to the IAAF to rescind its earlier decision stopping him from competing at the Games which kick off next week.

According to Making of Champions, the 27-year old high jumper has become the latest victim of the IAAF’s indefinite freeze on the transfer of allegiance process, which was put in place on February 6 last year, largely for the purpose of protecting vulnerable African athletes from being poached by other nations.

However, Edwards was named on the Nigerian team to the Commonwealth Games in February, and revealed that he had been cleared by British Athletics to compete for Nigeria. The jumper is already in Australia for the Games and had been accredited by the Commonwealth Games Federation, only to receive a call from the IAAF telling him he was ineligible to compete at the Games because he represented Great Britain at the European Junior Championships nine years ago.

Edwards, who has a Jamaican father and Nigerian mother, has now picked a spot at the Games Village where he’s going to stand every single day in order to bring some awareness to his plight, while hoping that the international governing body changes its earlier stance before the competition begins.

He took to his Facebook page to share this:

“No shame. I’ll stand here every day until IAAF makes a change. It’s wrong what they’re doing. I’ve come too far. I’ve sacrificed way too much to fold at the Commonwealth Games. Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games

“As a law abiding dual citizen of Great Britain and Nigeria, I should have every right to represent #TeamNigeria regardless if I chose to represent my birth country GB almost a decade ago, at a Jr. level Championship.

“I may not be the most decorated athlete in the world but I’m resilient. Remember, it’s been nine years since my last major Championship. I don’t quit easy… This sign is a representation of the levels I’m willing to take it too. I just want to compete. Call me back IAAF”.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/03/nigerian-athlete-mike-edward-plea-to-iaaf-commonwealth-games.html

4 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by dainformant(m): 9:39am On Mar 31, 2018
cc; lalasticlala
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by madridguy(m): 9:43am On Mar 31, 2018
tongue
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by eezeribe(m): 9:45am On Mar 31, 2018
OK
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by fk001(m): 9:52am On Mar 31, 2018
Someone is desperate to be and play for Nigeria

While some ungrateful pigs want to disunite Nigeria and break it into pieces

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Cinkq: 9:58am On Mar 31, 2018
I doubt this guy will win medals for Nigeria, if he had the potential of winning any medal, UK would have selected him.
The west don't joke with quality.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by NwaAmaikpe: 10:19am On Mar 31, 2018
shocked

It is obvious he is mentally imbalanced for him to want to represent Nigeria.

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Mar 31, 2018
I always believe that this shithole will be great again... It's just a matter of time.

God bless this shithole.

4 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Preca(f): 2:33pm On Mar 31, 2018
undecided bruh are u sure you want to represent Nigeria.
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Throwback: 2:34pm On Mar 31, 2018
IAAF makes the rules of the competition where they are a significant stakeholder.
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 31, 2018
shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by sekundosekundo: 2:34pm On Mar 31, 2018
fk001:

Shut up

16 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by babyfaceafrica: 2:38pm On Mar 31, 2018
Cinkq:
I doubt this guy will win medals for Nigeria, if he had the potential of winning any medal, UK would have selected him.
so because UK did not select him..he must be useless?....just like saying because you didn't gain admission into Harvard... You no sabi book?...,they are various reasons people don't pass a level..

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by ChineseBuggati3(m): 2:38pm On Mar 31, 2018
sad
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by PenisCaP: 2:38pm On Mar 31, 2018
grin
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by nairaman66(m): 2:39pm On Mar 31, 2018
fk001:

Playing for Nigeria and being a Nigerian in Nigeria are two different things entirely. Please do not mix the two as it will never settle just like Oil and water!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 31, 2018
fk001:

can u shut up

6 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by medolab90(m): 2:40pm On Mar 31, 2018
I hope he does not regret
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by MillionDollars: 2:42pm On Mar 31, 2018
Where some people are criticizing and despising the country, someone wants to represent, GOOD VIBES
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by ChangetheChange: 2:43pm On Mar 31, 2018
However, Edwards was named on the Nigerian team to the Commonwealth Games in February, and revealed that he had been cleared by British Athletics to compete for Nigeria. The jumper is already in Australia for the Games and had been accredited by the Commonwealth Games Federation, only to receive a call from the IAAF telling him he was ineligible to compete at the Games because he represented Great Britain at the European Junior Championships nine years ago.

Edwards, who has a Jamaican father and Nigerian mother, has now picked a spot at the Games Village where he’s going to stand every single day in order to bring some awareness to his plight, while hoping that the international governing body changes its earlier stance before the competition begins.

Thunder fire the IAAF, they should allow the young man compete for Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 31, 2018
If there was a worthy cause to unite Nigerian youths, this would be it. But wait, Nigerian youths are busy either watching BBN or bashing Buhari on NL.

IAAF should not have the right to determine which country an athlete wants to represent. None of their business if you ask me.

Whoever wants to be poached should be poached.

When Nigerian athletes were being poached by the likes of UK and US it was OK abi?

3 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by krak101(m): 2:46pm On Mar 31, 2018
Cinkq:
Exactly the same thing you clowns told Anthony Joshua... In fact thats the exact words. When will we learn Now the same shameless fools who denied him the opportunity of representing Nigeria are the same 4kers faking familiarity. Watch history repeat itself

5 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by IMASTEX: 2:47pm On Mar 31, 2018
Cinkq:

1 Like

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by BENARI: 2:51pm On Mar 31, 2018
fk001:

And you're so foolish to know that if only Britain gave him the opportunity, Nigeria would have been "God forbid ".

Your brain is fool of garbage

1 Like

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Cinkq: 2:52pm On Mar 31, 2018
babyfaceafrica:
so because UK did not select him..he must be useless?....just like saying because you didn't gain admission into Harvard... You no sabi book?...,they are various reasons people don't pass a level..

if he's not good enugh to represent UK, then we should examine him before accepting him as our athlete.
What is the essence of accepting him if he's not better than the local athletes? He shouldn't take the place of anyone if he has no prospect of winning medals. And i doubt UK would release him for us if he's that talented.

3 Likes

Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by dewwy84(m): 2:54pm On Mar 31, 2018
Good
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

true
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 31, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

its only the deranged that begs to associate with failure
Re: Mike Edwards Begs To Compete For Nigeria At The Commonwealth Games (Photos) by godofuck231: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2018
Bring vow come bubs go accept you as pellow pullani

(1) (2) (Reply)

Asisat Oshoala, Barcelona Teammates Celebrate Women's Champions League Final Win / Sadio Mané Ruled Out Of The World Cup / Nigeria U20 Stars Hand Cash To Patients During Visit To New Plymouth Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.