Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? (20800 Views)

Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? / The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events / Masturbation Is A Sin, No Matter Your View About It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by budiliscious(f): 10:31am On Apr 01, 2018
A lot have been said about comedy in the church in the modern day Christianity. Recently, I stumbled on a Rev. Olusola Areogun's view about this controversial topic and it got me thinking deep. Here is what he has to say:

"You can't play with Quran and the Muslims leave you alone, why should we let it be done with the Bible? have you heard of a comedian going to Osun shrine before? Or have you heard of a comedian doing comedy in the mosque and begin to joke with verses of the Quran? WHY ARE WE DESECRATING THE ALTAR OF GOD? Where have we gotten these pastors that didn't understand the terms and the consecrations of the calling?"

These days,stand-up comedy, comedy drama and all sorts are everywhere in the church. I don't want to mention names because the intention of this thread is not to judge anyone but allow us to rethink and act right. My view is that we need to ask ourselves if the essence of the gospel is to pass a message to the world about the birth, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus for the salvation and transformation of our soul or to entertain the world. Please let's get it right. What is your view?

#TechDisciples

16 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by enilove(m): 11:41am On Apr 01, 2018
It is very very wrong , you can't try that in MFM and Deeper Life.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by SUPERPACK: 11:51am On Apr 01, 2018
go back in time and study the early Christians under the roman empire, and balzantine empire, what they do to people that make mockery of Christianity, it gave room for killings, maiming and lot of bloodshed. but today we try to abide by the bible, the bible told us that as a follower of Jesus, u must face mockery, persecution and hardship. so telling people not to bring comedy to the church creates a big room for religious Fanaticism and extremism, lets practice Christianity the way it should be, irrespective of what people want to say.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by CuteMadridista: 12:10pm On Apr 01, 2018
Christianity itself is a comedy on its own with funny things like Talking Snakes, Talking Donkeys, a piece of fruit confers knowledge, witches, magic tricks called miracles, demons cause disease, zombies get up out of their graves and walk around Jerusalem, ghost stories, creator of the universe coming down to be killed by three nails etc.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Billionboi: 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2018
Provided d jokes are holy,i see nothing wrong with it

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Talktoyoulater(f): 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2018
Hmmm,nothing bad there at all.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by thesicilian: 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2018
There's nothing wrong with comedy in the church, as long as the content is Holy and the 'end game ' is to glorify God. Afterall the Bible says that God laughs.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by jeeqaa7(m): 12:25pm On Apr 01, 2018
If e funny you.. Laff

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by free2ryhme: 12:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
budiliscious:
A lot have been said about comedy in the church in the modern day Christianity. Recently, I stumbled on a Rev. Olusola Areogun's view about this controversial topic and it got me thinking deep. Here is what he has to say:

"You can't play with Quran and the Muslims leave you alone, why should we let it be done with the Bible? have you heard of a comedian going to Osun shrine before? Or have you heard of a comedian doing comedy in the mosque and begin to joke with verses of the Quran? WHY ARE WE DESECRATING THE ALTAR OF GOD? Where have we gotten these pastors that didn't understand the terms and the consecrations of the calling?"

These days,stand-up comedy, comedy drama and all sorts are everywhere in the church. I don't want to mention names because the intention of this thread is not to judge anyone but allow us to rethink and act right. My view is that we need to ask ourselves if the essence of the gospel is to pass a message to the world about the birth, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus for the salvation and transformation of our soul or to entertain the world. Please let's get it right. What is your view?

#TechDisciples
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by harizonal123(m): 12:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
Psalm 2: 4
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by gideon1971(m): 12:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
X
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Omuneizzy6(m): 12:26pm On Apr 01, 2018
anything u can do to keep the members and tell them the truth about Jesus do it... There is nothing bad about comedy in the church that is just side attraction.... Comedy started in heaven the devil now mimic

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2018
I think comedy extends the life of man.

anyways we are Africans and originally Traditionalists / Pagans. we dont need church/mosque bullshyts.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by luemz(m): 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2018
in my opinion, I think it depends on the kind of church event or program definitely not on a Sunday morning service... a program like a get together, I don't think its a bad idea for comedy to feature. however since it's a church gathering the choice of comedy should be such that it doesn't mock the faith.... #myOpinion

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Lincoln275(m): 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2018
comedy in d church is arrant nonsense , that's y they don't take word if God serious anymore

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Narldon: 12:27pm On Apr 01, 2018

Brethren Please give your life to Christ now,

Not when you see me in Heaven beside Father Abraham and you start shouting

"Pashality! Pashality!!"

I will just stone you hymn book!

12 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by biggy26: 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
To me, it's not too bam, but it also depends on d comedian. You go to AY show and talk trash, then come to church and be cracking jokes with things that didn't happen.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by femi4: 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
When its getting to blasphemy against spiritual things, its a no no for me irrespective of the venue
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by seunlayi(m): 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
Why drama in the church
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Deejaygold(m): 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
It's because they're ignorant of the word of God. if God start with them now, they'll be blaming God like the people of Israel in Jeremiah 4:10
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by fatymore(f): 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
Thats how they start... Why did you mention Islam in it.... That aside.. We Muslims doesn't joke with our religion and we believe everything we do is would be accounted for on judgement day...
As a Muslim if you can follow these conditions you are free to make your jokes..
It should not involve any element of making fun of Islam.
The jokes should only be truthful.
Not scaring people .
Mocking people by winking behind their backs or making snide remarks .
The jokes should not be excessive.
It should not involve backbiting.
Choosing appropriate times for joking.

Every aspect of our life is being regulated by Islam..... And it is not a joke...

15 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by zizirecords(m): 12:28pm On Apr 01, 2018
Christianity as practiced in most churches today is just a commercial enterprise. Anything that can drive revenues upwards is welcome hence the reason comedy is allowed. Same reason some secular musicians are invited to church to boost attendance and hence revenue. OP is right. In the real sense, jesters are not allowed in the house of God. But when money is your primary motive, you allow anything.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2018
Everything goes
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Chikelue2000(m): 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2018
a Sin that must not be allowed to continue

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Olamilekssy(m): 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2018
I wonder why, all are just the means of entertaining us at church, nothing personal about it.
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Mujtahida: 12:29pm On Apr 01, 2018
You guys ain't seen nothing yet. Soon even the devil you guys always cast and bind will strut his thing in church.

Christianity died a long time ago. Churchianity that's what goes on today in the empty tombs called churches.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by adams345(m): 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2018
its notyn just a form of fun even in the bible Jesus told d disciples stories
Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by Chikelue2000(m): 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2018
enilove:
It is very very wrong , you can't try that in MFM and Deeper Life.

I rep Deeper Life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by seunlayi(m): 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2018
Billionboi:
Provided d jokes are holy,i see nothing wrong with it

My bro, it is very wrong

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by crackhouse(m): 12:31pm On Apr 01, 2018
Comedy goes to church by Acapella

1 Like

Re: What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? by imstrong1: 12:31pm On Apr 01, 2018
Disturbing.. Anything comedy should be outside the church.. some of this comedian even joke with verses of the bible

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

OPM Builds 15th Free School In Rivers State / What You Must Know/do Before You Get Married As A Christian Lady / Killings In Nigeria: Paul Enenche Speaks Again, Calls For Self-defense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.