Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,497 members, 7,808,844 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun (25047 Views)

Osinbajo, Okorocha, Ganduje, Kenneth Okonkwo At Bola Tinubu's Colloquium / Picture Of Fashola And Buhari In Onitsha: Caption It / Buhari, Alaafin Of Oyo, Ooni Of Ife, Governors, At Tinubu's Colloquium .PHOTOS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by AlanTuringAI: 8:46am On Apr 02, 2018
emmie14:
This is betrayal by Ambode a Yoruba blood innate with betrayals. It runs in there blood. Babatunde Fashola though his fan also betrayed his boss Bola Tinubu . His hands are stained in the plight of Tinubu in APC today. Fashola selfishness contributed to Bola back sit in Aso rock
Idiotic tribal bigot like you. The game of politics especially in Nigeria is rife with intrigues and betrayals. They gave a perfect example of Theodore Orji betraying and outscheming his boss Uzor Kalu, but all your empty head could come up with is to denigrate Yorubas at every opportunity you get even when the topic of discourse was not centred on tribal issues. I just hope Yoruba issue won't give you hypertension.
PS: For any bigoted mod that will wanna ban me cos I know that's the next thing. If you leave this guy to insult my tribe and expect me to keep quiet, then you don't know what you're doing.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by jaid23: 8:46am On Apr 02, 2018
Good write up..

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by cbrass(m): 8:47am On Apr 02, 2018
abumeinben:
Anytime I talk about this ambode guy, people go dey look me.

The guy is performing far below what Lagos deserves, what Lagos generates. I've always seen him as a servant governor. Fashola had the guts to award contracts to bid winner, and not necessarily tinubu's Hitech construction. Although, fashola nor be saint o, but the guy get mind die.
Plus he focused his performance on wetin uncle Bill Gates talk, health and education, then security.

Stop saying what u dont know, every Governor have who they work with. Forget all those bidding process

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by cbrass(m): 8:49am On Apr 02, 2018
It seems the OP has forgotten how fashoka and fayemi tried to play the Afonja script on jagaban.
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by AreaFada2: 8:50am On Apr 02, 2018
Politics is very murky.

Too many entrenched interests.

Hard to know who is with whom or against whom in reality.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by ajepako(f): 8:50am On Apr 02, 2018
Fashola is the only redeeming image of APC as far as I'm concerned
Under him, the state was clean, ethnic tension was minimal, he responded to citizens call (l can attest to that because l have personally sent text messages to the phone line of his PA to lodge a complaint and it was promptly addressed) and he wasted no time on frolicking on frivolities..
However under Ambode, l really can't say the same..
I'm not saying Ambode isn't trying but under his watch, Lagos has become extremely dirty...
Imagine scrapping PSP and replacing it with Visionscape?
Now major roads that were daily swept under BRF are extremely dirty.
Don't even get me talking about inner streets and hood.. Now we are back to using Abokii truck pushers... Very poor for a mega city like Lagos..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by omohayek: 8:50am On Apr 02, 2018
emmie14:
This is betrayal by Ambode a Yoruba blood innate with betrayals. It runs in there blood. Babatunde Fashola though his fan also betrayed his boss Bola Tinubu . His hands are stained in the plight of Tinubu in APC today. Fashola selfishness contributed to Bola back sit position in Aso rock
You shameless low-IQ bigot! It must be that same "Yoruba blood innate with betrayals" that must have been running through the veins of the Theodore Orji the author referred to in the comment below.
The former Chief of Staff turned governor was a political bulwark for Tinubu. Tinubu, perhaps would have ceased to be Jagaban of Lagos, not even the touted Africa, if Fashola was like Theodore Orji, the successor of Orji Uzor Kalu of Abia State who schemed out the boss of relevance and retired Kalu politically turning him to a stateman without a state.

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by akinszz: 8:52am On Apr 02, 2018
lagosians will forever remember what fasola did for Lagos State .....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by RexTramadol1: 8:52am On Apr 02, 2018
I disliked FASHOLA then, the guy was too sound

budget off hand, all projects completed or ongoing offhand.

d guy na big tym crammer

bt I disliked him for being elitist.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by BabaO2: 8:53am On Apr 02, 2018
NaijaElba:

Oyamilenu
Ki enu e na ya, fat and clueless ambode is the most useless and barbaric i have ever seen as a governor in Lagos. Without Fashola, he was no match to dynamic, firebrand of Jimi Agbaje. His primitiveness and lack of polish English was glaring. Tinubu too should be grateful to Fashola, because he protected Tinubu when he was the governor.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 02, 2018
Japheth17:
apc don't deserve fashola, the same way PDP don't deserve akwa-ibom. fashola gave apc a stronghold from where they could launch attacks on the PDP. Apc used fashola's achievement to boast, and this is how they treat him? well I'm not surprised.
It is the way of politics

Fasholas so called achievement is same with other APC P ropagandas.
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by bionixs: 9:02am On Apr 02, 2018
Bede2u:
can u explain the bolded
don't worry yourself, he talks anyhow. This how a pained relative of a non performer talks when his benefactor is edged out of an administration
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by osazeeblue01: 9:02am On Apr 02, 2018
That's life.....

When people don't want you to be better than them this is what happen...

Tinubu saw it coming that his boy (Fashola) want to take over Lagos State as a leader . As a greedy man(Tinubu) is, he has to stopped Fashola through Ambode.

Meanwhile Buhari knows that Fashola is more reliable than Tinubu.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by akinszz: 9:08am On Apr 02, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Fasholas so called achievement is same with other APC P ropagandas.
yes it's propaganda to villagers like you, but to we in Lagos know his so called achievements.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by LaudableXX: 9:09am On Apr 02, 2018
emmie14:
This is betrayal by Ambode a Yoruba blood innate with betrayals. It runs in there blood. Babatunde Fashola though his fan also betrayed his boss Bola Tinubu . His hands are stained in the plight of Tinubu in APC today. Fashola selfishness contributed to Bola back sit in Aso rock

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by kuntash: 9:11am On Apr 02, 2018
NaijaElba:

The post is not meant for re.tard like you. No wonder you people keep commenting nonsense on every thread because you are lazy to read the content.

grin grin grin

I am sure if it was an epistle of someone showing her bum or Bnaija, he would read as if he wants to prepare for an exam..

Suegbe!

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by funmise007(m): 9:13am On Apr 02, 2018
I taya for political monitoring spirit oh..if fashola dey front dey snap about for Jst birthday called colloquium dem go say naa nonsense with Hin big portfolio and nothing tangible to show for it yet,he dey low key as planed dey're not satisfied again..Jst let FASH be for now pls.
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by spartan117(m): 9:15am On Apr 02, 2018
Paradigm777:
I should read this long epistle?

Kukuma Kee mi
You don't have the patience to read through the post yet you claim to be a leader of tomorrow undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by adelacuna(m): 9:20am On Apr 02, 2018
The writer really makes a lot of sense. Fashola is way better than Ambide in terms of intelligence and in governance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by damola1: 9:22am On Apr 02, 2018
How did a alienate him?

Or is he not the only one given 3 different ministries to manage?...

Talk is cheap. Action is everything. Fash is balling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by Nobody: 9:26am On Apr 02, 2018
NaijaElba:
Immediate past governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Raji Fashola, (SAN) as a football enthusiast understands the pain a star player goes through when benched for a less skillful player. While the star player would be concerned about his career, millions of fans around the globe would be grappling to know why the coach fails to show ‘Messi’ when the game became unbearable.

Most often, in the game of football , team handlers and their managers have genuine altruistic, not self-serving motive of resting their bests. But in politics, it is a jungle game. Treacherous intrigues and use of fiery darts are part of the rules of the games. The foregoing aptly captured what I observed at the 10th Bola Tinubu Colloquium held at the Eko Hotels on last Thursday.

It was astonishing to watch an erstwhile poster boy and the beacon of hope of then opposition, Action Congress of Nigeria(ACN), which later morphed to APC reduced to an ordinary spectator in a state he governed for 8 years. Fashola, an arguable super performer who raised the bar of service delivery in governance in Nigeria watched the event from his seat at the second row designated for ministers. But Fashola didn’t belong to the second row at such an historic event.

Despite his shortcomings, he stood to be counted when it mattered most for Lagos ruling political class. The bellwether minister who should be a proud host of President Muhammadu Buhari was mistaken for a grade-B guest in Lagos, his home state. If the position of his seat was immaterial, the none-role for Fashola at such an epoch event which had the President in attendance was a rift taken too far.

He was not even graced with honour to supervise the cutting of the cake nor given the task for vote of thanks. Yet, Fashola is the actualizer of modern Lagos. If Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo unwittingly grouped Fashola among the ministers while saluting dignitaries, it was obviously not an oversight for the celebrator, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu not to specifically recognize his successor.

For Tinubu, there would not have been a better opportunity to demonstrate to the people who scorned and expressed doubt about his role as chief peace missioner in APC that he meant business. This systematic degrading and humiliation of the former governor didn’t start last Thursday.
On the occasion to celebrate Governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s 100 days in office, similar treatment was meted to Fashola whom was said not to have been invited by Lagos State Government but for Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo who prevailed on him to join his entourage to Lagos.

He was not accorded the honour to commission any of the projects not even the LASEMA Emergency Centre in Cappa, Oshodi, which he (Fashola) had completed before he left office as the governor. The political stature and influence of Tinubu would have shrunk like other governors in class 1999 if Fashola had not been a great successor. The lion of Bourdillon could roar and expand his political conquest to other terrains because his successor was succeeding at home. The former Chief of Staff turned governor was a political bulwark for Tinubu. Tinubu, perhaps would have ceased to be Jagaban of Lagos, not even the touted Africa, if Fashola was like Theodore Orji, the successor of Orji Uzor Kalu of Abia State who schemed out the boss of relevance and retired Kalu politically turning him to a stateman without a state.

There were ample opportunities for Fashola to retire Tinubu. But he was benevolent to his benefactor. In 2006 in the run up to 2017 general elections, when the speculation of stopping BRF for second term was rife, Fashola had the best chance to forever cage the lion of Bourdillon politically but he deferred to Tinubu. The popularity of Fashola occasioned by his sterling performance in the areas of infrastructure, education, environment, health and his respect for social contract that existed between the governed and those in authorities was palpable and could not be denied by his most vitriolic critic . Fashola became a strong brand, a mass movement peopled and driven by Lagosians.

If he had jumped ship, victory was certain and that would have signaled the political eclipse of Jagaban Borgu. For this singular honour, Tinubu should be eternally grateful to a loyal and competent protégé despite the recent fallouts. Former governor Fashola was a great asset in dislodging the behemoth PDP. He modeled a seemingly working template for other aspirants in the then opposition to market to voters in their respective states. Many rode on the crest of his popularity and exemplary leadership to power.

Again, despite the wrangling of the APC governorship primaries, in 2015 Fashola enlisted to campaign vigorously for a former Accountant General in the state, Akinwunmi Ambode as the flag bearer of the All Progressives Congress, APC in Lagos. He took Ambode round Lagos assuring Lagosians of his credibility and ability to deliver. They mounted rostrum together to canvass for votes. Unlike Ambode, Fashola was a match for the PDP’s Jimi Agbaje who is imbue with great charisma and gift of gab.

Fashola did the most of the talking all through the campaign trail. Fashola fantastically marketed Ambode as yet another performer who will consolidate his achievements and chart greater development path for Lagos. While Fashola was firing darts at PDP-controlled federal government led by Goodluck Jonathan, the former governor and the campaigner in chief was hitting Jimi Agbaje below the belt in Lagos.

Shortly after Ambode emerged winner in a fiercely contested election, an agenda and campaign to totally alienate Fashola from the political landscape of Lagos was afoot. The first salvo was the revelations of alleged odious multi-million Naira deals Fashola cut while in office. The Ambode-led government regaled the public on how Fashola dug two bore-holes for a whopping N139 million and designed personal website for N78 million.

The alleged sleaze alarmed Lagosians who had earlier adored Fashola as a saint. The image and reputation of the former governor were irreparable shattered while he strove in vain shrug off the stigma of a treasury looter. Against all expectations, President Muhammadu Buhari ignored the ‘glaring’ allegations of corruption against Fashola and made him the most influential and powerful minister in his cabinet saddling him with onerous duty to oversee three critical ministries of Power, Works and Housing. As Fashola moved to Abuja, political associates and friends of the former governor were wielded out of the Lagos State system. Permanent Secretaries and heads of agencies perceived to be loyal to Fashola including the sister of the former governor were rudely shown the door. In the same manner, structures at the grassroots suspected to be sympathetic to the minister were either dislodged or coerced into the new emergent force.

In furtherance of the campaign to run the former governor out of relevance and obliterate his achievements from the consciousness of Lagosians, there were systematic efforts to undo Fashola’s feats. The PSPs waste management scheme set up by Fashola was disbanded for Visionscape, a foreign environmental services firm which is enmeshed in controversies. Kick Against Indiscipline brigades was replaced with Lagos Environmental Sanitation Corps (LAGESC). The Ilubirin Housing Scheme which was under construction before the former governor left office is abandoned. No single brick has been added since Fashola left Lagos.

This writer also gathered that Governor Akinwunmi Ambode is yet to allot parcel of land for Fashola to build Federal Housing Scheme for Lagosians which many states have plugged into. The consequence of the Ambode/Fashola faceoff is dire on Lagos. A bustling city plagued by huge housing deficit should not be denied of a Federal-government housing scheme because of rift between two leaders within the same political family.

*Enitan Olukotun, a journalist wrote from Lagos*

http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2018/04/tinubu-colloquium-and-the-benching-of-fashola-as-a-spectator/

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I read the whole thing.

Tinubu definitely prefers YES Men to intelligent, loyal and confident men.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by PHILipu1(m): 9:30am On Apr 02, 2018
Japheth17:
apc don't deserve fashola, the same way PDP don't deserve akwa-ibom. fashola gave apc a stronghold from where they could launch attacks on the PDP. Apc used fashola's achievement to boast, and this is how they treat him? well I'm not surprised.
It is the way of politics
so being the most powerful minister is not ok for him abi?

APC should hand over the presidency to him i guess.
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by Japheth17: 9:36am On Apr 02, 2018
Bede2u:
can u explain the bolded

sorry I meant akpabio.
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by StaffofOrayan(m): 9:39am On Apr 02, 2018
I just can't stand Tinubu, he saw a future president in Fashola which he wants for himself, this guy would sell the Yoruba nation without qualms, afterall his grandmother was a slave trader,

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by Nicedavo(m): 9:39am On Apr 02, 2018
Fashola as a person really helped in the development of Lagos, in as much as he embezzled funds....i still believe in him.
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by Bobby4090: 9:44am On Apr 02, 2018
Hmm
Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by wallex1983(m): 9:45am On Apr 02, 2018
Ambode's time is just a moment away too, where his successes, though visible will be buried in the mud.

We Nigerians seem to forget that no position is permanent except the position of God!!!

God bless Fashola

God bless Mamora

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by Bobby4090: 9:46am On Apr 02, 2018
Good write up. But just one side of the story. I also learned that since he left as Governor, Fashola never visited Tinubu at least to say thank you for fishing him out from obscurity and making him who he is today. My brother, anybody I make my chief staff for 8 years and make Governor for 8 years and for one day you cannot even come and say thanks or pay homage... I will hate you forever if I can.

We all are human beings, thank a man for the one he has done and he will do more. Even God doesnt share his glory not to talk of feeble human beings like us.
Fashola felt that running to a federal power in Buhari will salvage the situation but it cannot. Why is it out of the many political sons of Tinubu he should be the one having this problem. He Fashola a proud and pompous man.even most of his projects as Governor were elitist.

That not withstanding, I think there should be peace between him Fashola and Tinubu/Ambode. It's a fight taken too far if actually he was purposely snubbed in Lagos. Two wrongs don't make a right. One way this can be done is by Ambode naming an important road in Lagos after Fashola and inviting him to commission it and let by gone be by gone.

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by dubilo: 9:47am On Apr 02, 2018
inspite of the way jagaban decides to treat Fashola.He ramains my man any time any day.just like the OP rightly pointed out,Jagaban rode his back.and mark my words Jagaban will fully be repaid for the injustice melted on Fashola.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by FrenchPeter(m): 9:47am On Apr 02, 2018
Hate him or like him Fashola is a better person to deal with. He is more transparent and that is what an average politician won't like. Politics of bitterness won't take us anywhere. Even if Fashola didn't support the emergence of Ambode he campained for him. Ambode should be ready to get similar treatment after his tenure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by waxyung(m): 9:55am On Apr 02, 2018
Had he been an ingrate. That tinubu political prowess would have been drowned in shame.
Fashola behaved himself to ensure that tinubu have a good successor.
Imagine if Fayose had succeeded Tinubu. Imagine what Lagos would have bocome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Colloquium And The ‘Benching’ Of Fashola As A Spectator - Enitan Olukotun by Bobby4090: 9:55am On Apr 02, 2018
StaffofOrayan:
I just can't stand Tinubu, he saw a future president in Fashola which he wants for himself, this guy would sell the Yoruba nation without qualms, afterall his grandmother was a slave trader,

Future president in whooo? Is that not the man that boasted during campaign that a serious government should fix our power problems in 6 months. And after nearly 3 years he's in charge he is not even anywhere close to it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INEC Verdict: We Have Not Declared That Senator Akpabio Has Lost Election / Hameed Ali May Be Arrested Over ‘lopsided' Northern Appointments / Lawan’s Anti-Restructuring Outburst Upsets Senators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.