Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,963 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup (21803 Views)

Profiling The Newly Promoted Teams For The 2018 NPFL Season / Profiles Of Nigeria's Opponents At The 2018 Russia World Cup / 100 Facts About The 2018 World Cup. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by BrainnewsRadio(f): 12:23am On Apr 03, 2018

By Eyo Nse,

As the 2018 world cup builds up, here are some facts you need to know about the world most popular football tournament which will be hosted and held in Russia from June 14 to July 15 2018, as compiled by Brainnews Radio.

The facts are;

1. 2 December, 2010 Russia, for the first time in its history, was granted the right to host the FIFA World Cup. The finals of the tournament will be held from June 14 to July 15, 2018.

2. 32 teams will take part in the competition. Russia and 13 national teams would represent European zone (Russia was automatically qualified for the Championship as the host country), five national teams from African zone, and ten from Asia and South America, and three from North American zone. Another two tournament tickets will be decided in play-offs.

Read Also: #ToRussiaWithCoke – How To Win A Free Trip To Russia 2018 World Cup

3. The FIFA Cup matches will be held in 11 cities: Moscow (this city will host the finals of the cup) –
Saint Petersburg
Ekaterinburg
Kazan
Samara
Volgograd
Nizhny Novgorod
Saransk
Rostov-on-Don
Kaliningrad
Sochi

4. From 17 June to 2 July, 2017 Russia will host another FIFA tournament– the Confederations Cup. 8 teams will participate: Russia as a host country of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Germany as the current world champion, Australia as the winner of the 2015 Asia Cup, Chile as the winner of the 2015 Copa America, Mexica as the winner of play-off match between the winners of the 2013 and 2015 Golden CONCACAF Cup, New Zealand as the winner of the 2016 OFC Nations Cup and Portugal as the current champion of Europe. Another participating country will be determined only on February 5, 2017; it will be the national team who wins the African Cup of Nations.

5. The matches of Confederation Cup will be held on the stadiums of four cities. Kazan and Sochi will host semi-finals, Spartak Stadium in Moscow will host the semi-final for the third place match, and Saint Petersburg will host the first semi-final and final match of the cup.

6. In October of 2014 the FIFA unvelined the brand identity of the World Cup and its official emblem, designed in a form of the principal trophy – the world cup. The principal theme of the World Cup Russia is a dream and the cosmic outer space exploration, enlivened with folk motives featuring Firebirds, Matryoshkas and folk patterns.

7. Wolf Zabivaka™ designed by student Ekaterina Bocharova won the right to be the 2018 World Cup mascot. The main symbol of the tournament was chosen via online voting.

8. Volunteers will be assisting in the process of managing and hosting the FIFA World Cup and the Confederations Cup. They will receive special training for 20 functional directions. The organizers plan to include over 5 thousand people for hosting the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 and about 15 thousand people in the 2018 FIFA World Cup. About 20 thousand volunteers will take part in the program entitled City Volunteers.

9. The 2018 FIFA World Cup and each host city will be represented by elected ambassadors – famous people who were either born in those cities, or are somehow related to them. The ambassadors of the World Cup promote sports and healthy lifestyle and promote the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

10. Apart from football matches, guests will also be able to visit FIFA Fan Fests – special events organized by FIFA. These are officially dedicated areas to watch Confederations Cup 2017 matches, where everyone unable to come to the stadium is welcome to join the fun. This is the perfect way to safely and conveniently watch live coverage of the games between the best teams in the world.

11. The 2018 FIFA World Cup will be the 21st FIFA World Cup, a quadrennial international football tournament contested by the men’s national teams of the member associations of FIFA.

12.It is scheduled to take place in Russia from 14 June to 15 July 2018, after the country was awarded the hosting rights on 2 December 2010. This will be the first World Cup held in Europe since the 2006 tournament in Germany; all but one of the stadium venues are in European Russia, west of the Ural Mountains, to keep travel time manageable.
The final tournament will involve 32 national teams, which include 31 teams determined through qualifying competitions and the automatically qualified host team. Of the 32 teams, 20 will be making back-to-back appearances following the last tournament in 2014, including defending champions Germany, while Iceland and Panama will both be making their first appearances at a FIFA World Cup. A total of 64 matches will be played in 12 venues located in 11 cities. The final will take place on 15 July at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.
The winners of the World Cup will qualify for the 2021 FIFA Confederations Cup.

13. The draw was held on 1 December 2017, at 18:00 MSK, at the State Kremlin Palace in Moscow. The 32 teams were drawn into eight groups of four.
For the draw, the teams were allocated to four pots based on the FIFA World Rankings of October 2017. Pot 1 contained the hosts Russia (who were automatically assigned to Position A1) and the best seven teams, Pot 2 contained the next best eight teams, and so on for Pots 3 and 4. This was different from previous draws, where only Pot 1 was based on FIFA Rankings while the remaining pots were based on geographical considerations. However, still retained was the fact that teams from the same confederation were not drawn against each other for the group stage, except for UEFA where each group contained up to two teams.

14. On 16 March 2018, the FIFA Council approved the use of video assistant referees (VAR) for the first time in a FIFA World Cup tournament.
On 29 March 2018, FIFA released the list of 36 referees and 63 assistant referees selected to oversee matches.

15. Each team must first name a preliminary squad of 30 players. From the preliminary squad, the team must name a final squad of 23 players (three of whom must be goalkeepers) by the FIFA deadline. Players in the final squad may be replaced due to serious injury up to 24 hours prior to kickoff of the team’s first match, where the replacement players do not need to be in the preliminary squad.
For players named in the 30-player preliminary squad, there is a mandatory rest period between 21 and 27 May 2018, except for those involved in the 2018 UEFA Champions League Final played on 26 May.
In February 2018, it was announced that the number of players to be named in the provisional squads would be increased from 30 to 35.

Source: https://www.brainnewsradio.com/15-facts-about-the-2018-fifa-world-cup-in-russia/
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by BrainnewsRadio(f): 12:23am On Apr 03, 2018
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by medexico(m): 12:40am On Apr 03, 2018
I got tired of reading

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:24am On Apr 03, 2018
WORLD CUP: Bring it on....
I can't wait anymore.
Make us proud SUPER EAGLES of Nigeria.

Obafemi Martin's Inclusion: YES OR NO?!

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Nobody: 9:34am On Apr 03, 2018
I'm going Russia this month, thanks to FIFA for granting me FIFA fans ID

Free transport, and you must be in Russia 10 days before the world cup begin and you must leave before 10days after the world cup.

4. From 17 June to 2 July, 2017 Russia will host another FIFA tournament– the Confederations Cup. 8 teams will participate: Russia as a host country of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Germany as the current world champion, Australia as the winner of the 2015 Asia Cup, Chile as the winner of the 2015 Copa America, Mexica as the winner of play-off match between the winners of the 2013 and 2015 Golden CONCACAF Cup, New Zealand as the winner of the 2016 OFC Nations Cup and Portugal as the current champion of Europe. Another participating country will be determined only on February 5, 2017; it will be the national team who wins the African Cup of Nations

Which one is February 2017 op sad

6 Likes

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by stano2(m): 9:35am On Apr 03, 2018
Hehehehe
Everything Russia is always different.
Teams we do not expect may reach semi-finals.
I hope 3rd world War won't start after world cup because countries the boil on top Russia matter now.
World cup period nothing we no go hear from spies to hacking, the go leave sports enter another quanta

6 Likes

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Narldon: 9:35am On Apr 03, 2018
Ok
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Emeritus001(m): 9:36am On Apr 03, 2018
Cool
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by nairaman66(m): 9:36am On Apr 03, 2018
Interesting facts indeed!

But they have failed to tell us how those ambassadors expelled from Russia is going to affect the security of millions of fans attending the event!

1 Like

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Amirullaha(m): 9:36am On Apr 03, 2018
Cool...
Go super eagles...
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by seenter84: 9:37am On Apr 03, 2018
Who go win d world cup?

2 Likes

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by gurunlocker: 9:37am On Apr 03, 2018
I just hope there won't be tension to cancel this year World Cup with all the international political tussel going on.

We will know this year if football can unite the world..
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Akinwerndey: 9:37am On Apr 03, 2018
SUMMARIZE BIKO
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by adamsbadoo(m): 9:37am On Apr 03, 2018
Nigeria will win world cup if they use morata becus he's a prolific goal scorer.
and also bakayoko, even okputu will do great.
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by chris4gold(m): 9:38am On Apr 03, 2018
Copy and paste grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Nobody: 9:39am On Apr 03, 2018
If I could read this long epistle, would have graduated with a 3rd class in the university.
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by id4sho(m): 9:40am On Apr 03, 2018
She asked "What do I do for a living?
Then I replied, "I analyze and invest in highly risky business opportunities that has the possibilities of high returns, I deal with international investment of over 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, analyzing and investing in business opportunities across England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France etc."
She was excited but she neva knew I was talking about Bet9ja...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Emperormartin(m): 9:41am On Apr 03, 2018
16. It's a World Cup against the West. No United States, no British referees... It's a Cold World Cup

1 Like

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by internationalman(m): 9:42am On Apr 03, 2018
The excitement and anticipation of any football tournaments or match far outweighs the unfolding of the event itself.

Believe it or not this World Cup is gonna be boring.

Boring bcoz the teams each of you expected to triumph didn't make it past the group stage.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by SIGE(m): 9:45am On Apr 03, 2018
@Op, your No.4 point shows that this your article is outdated, no CAF winner yet?
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by yankison(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2018
Kingwizzy16:

Free transport, and you must be in Russia 10 days before the world cup begin and you must leave before 10days after the world cup.

I got a fan id too .. is it true that we must pay 200$ to the airline apart from ticket

4. From 17 June to 2 July, 2017 Russia will host another FIFA tournament– the Confederations Cup. 8 teams will participate: Russia as a host country of the 2018 FIFA World Cup, Germany as the current world champion, Australia as the winner of the 2015 Asia Cup, Chile as the winner of the 2015 Copa America, Mexica as the winner of play-off match between the winners of the 2013 and 2015 Golden CONCACAF Cup, New Zealand as the winner of the 2016 OFC Nations Cup and Portugal as the current champion of Europe. Another participating country will be determined only on February 5, 2017; it will be the national team who wins the African Cup of Nations

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by MorataFC: 9:47am On Apr 03, 2018
Worthy to know but majority of the facts have expired
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by phranklyn92(m): 9:48am On Apr 03, 2018
Y
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by CSTR1002: 9:49am On Apr 03, 2018
If the United States had qualified, and one of those dumb Russian mobs touch any American fan in Russia, Washington could take it to be an act of war.

Because of a football game, American submarines would begin to move in the black sea of eastern Europe.

That is how tense situation are right now. Any small pull, and things could spiral dangerously.

Thank God, America did not qualify. It could even be deliberate.

Russia should caution their fans not to provoke any nation . Many countries are looking to tame Putin's wings.

1 Like

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Oduwils222(m): 9:50am On Apr 03, 2018
The post is not worth it. Too long yet nothing to read.
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by slapandfall(m): 9:51am On Apr 03, 2018
Who doesnot know this before? mtcheeeeeww.. waste of reading time
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 03, 2018
What is my business...
In just 14 months time PMB will be re - sworn in for the
second term.
Argue with your ancestors
Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by aminho(m): 9:56am On Apr 03, 2018
Kingwizzy16:

boss i have a fans ID and there is no free transport to russia its only
inter-city trains and public transport in the host cities haba na

Re: Russia: 15 Facts About The 2018 FIFA World Cup by aminho(m): 9:57am On Apr 03, 2018
[quote author=Kingwizzy16 post=66390367]I'm going Russia this month, thanks to FIFA for granting me FIFA fans ID

boss i have a fans ID and there is no free transport to russia its only
inter-city trains and public transport in the host cities haba na

(1) (2) (Reply)

Divine Oduduru Becomes Second Fastest African, Sets New Nigerian Record / Lewandowskii: FIFA Award More Important, Ballon D’or Votes Not Verifiable / Efe Ambrose: European Clubs Disregard For AFCON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.